Macross Zero Destroid

Graham

Actually it really doesn't look that much more advanced then the old destroid when you think about it. Look at the weapons and sensor systems for proof of that. THe sensors on the old destroids were relatively small yet still powerful, this thing has a CIWS radar on it. The guns are just simple chain guns, not the rapid fire heavy cannons of later destroids. The wheels on the legs are strictly for speed, meaning that it can't run very fast, and while it may be able to hop, how much of a tech improvement is that?

Definitely Armored Core-influenced. The head unit and the arms are quite similar to the style of the Tomahawk.

(pic courtesy of MAHQ.net)

mbr-04-mk4.jpg

The hands in the back are definitely the style of the VB-6. You know...I think we're looking at the predecessor of the Tomahawk, or the Mark I Tomahawk.

http://www.anime.net/macross/mecha/united_...br04/index.html

The Mk I's original designation was the Destroid. After its systems became the basis for other models, this first model became to be called Mark One.) The MBR-04-Mk I's weaponry consisted of rocket launchers and two arms for use in close-quarters combat

New destroid also has a similarity to Tomahawk II of Macross II. Arms and legs are very seemed.

post-2-1061676512_thumb.gif

I wonder if we'll see the predecessor to the Monster...

As I pointed out on the far mid right their appears to be a mecha that looks like a monster proto. Its kinda covered by the trees so it may just be a crouching version of the one we see in better detail off to the left, but that wide looking foot base looks reminicent of the monster.

i'd always liked macross because its giant robots served a purpose: to fight giant aliens hand to hand.

Giant robots designed to fight other humans in giant robots for the sake of fighting in giant robots is lame.

Mac Zero is systematicly destroying my love of macross.

neat design, its just not for macross imho

Edited by KingNor

I guess it can't be helped that this series will also end up looking more advanced than the originals...

That's kinda my point about Macross zero, how realistic is it that all the mechs appear more advanced than those from the original series that came after them?

Not many anime fans today would watch 70's to early 80's style anime just for the sake of continuity.

The key to more money is more consumers.

I am curious as to how the hands are used? It looks like the arms turn around, but if you look, it looks like the fists are upside down......so, unless I looked at it wrong, how does the arm turn to let the hands be used?

It looks like the GATS can just flip back to the elbow joint thus putting the hands up front for hand to hand or use of a gun pod. The upsidedown hands would support this.

They... most likely the legs weren't strong enough to carry the weight of the destroid, so the wheels would help to move it around, while leg movements would be used for smaller movements, such as correcting aim or something.

I don't think it's a weight issue. In a densly populated area or rough terrain legs are ideal but on streets and open areas motorized wheels would be faster than running legs. I believe the use of them in targeting would be greatly increased too since the speed of turn radius would almost be instantaneous.

BTW... AC is the greastest mech game there is! :wub:

Edited by Backstabber

I don't think it's a weight issue. In a densly populated area or rough terrain legs are ideal but on streets and open areas motorized wheels would be faster than running legs. I believe the use of them in targeting would be greatly increased too since the speed of turn radius would almost be instantaneous.

Makes sense..... but then again, we don't know how powerful those wheels are. They could be there just to put the mech into position and hope that the enemy won't over run their positions. :ph34r:

LMAO! Looking at it again it's definitely a male destroid..... anyone notice it's "little Pee Pee"! :p

Those crazy japanese are at it again! :lol:

I'm assuming it's an anti-personnel gun so that the crew/gunner would'nt have to use the main guns on little "crunchies" (dismounted enemy troops that should be taken out by running over them/stepping on them in this case) :lol:

The one thing I'd change about it are the legs. If the upper body is designed like that, I think the legs should be humanoid, not inverted.

But one thing... in the screenshot, the knees on the legs DO bend forward. So it's either an animation error, or the legs bend both ways.

As for it looking more advanced than the classic Destroids, I disagree. With wheels on the legs, it almost looks like an armored vehicle that can stand up. Also, it almost looks like a believable piece of military hardware, whereas the classic Destroids don't. This new Destroid is a more complicated and detailed design, but let's not confuse complicated and detailed with more advanced.

Very cool!  I like that design.  The destroids are so underrated in Macross.

I think so too.....I'd love to see MORE destroids aiding the Skull Squadron in the rest of the Macross Zero OVA's. The only time we see Destroids in DYRL they were getting pasted by various Zentradi mechs.

The destroids kicked butt on a few occassions, but mostly they get blown to pieces. But no more than the Valkyries do in many an episode. Still, the MkII Monster seems to get all the glory. It's shown blowing the heck out of everything throughout the entire series. In fact, I think it gets shot once, but is repaired for the next episode.

I just think that the destroids get forgotten all the time. Especially in any debate about which mecha is better, they seem to be quickly dismissed. But they are a very essential part of the UN Spacy's combined arms. They are the reason the SDF Macross had the most potent defense of any capital ship in Space War One.

Very cool!  I like that design.  The destroids are so underrated in Macross.

I think so too.....I'd love to see MORE destroids aiding the Skull Squadron in the rest of the Macross Zero OVA's. The only time we see Destroids in DYRL they were getting pasted by various Zentradi mechs.

The destroids kicked butt on a few occassions, but mostly they get blown to pieces. But no more than the Valkyries do in many an episode. Still, the MkII Monster seems to get all the glory. It's shown blowing the heck out of everything throughout the entire series. In fact, I think it gets shot once, but is repaired for the next episode.

I just think that the destroids get forgotten all the time. Especially in any debate about which mecha is better, they seem to be quickly dismissed. But they are a very essential part of the UN Spacy's combined arms. They are the reason the SDF Macross had the most potent defense of any capital ship in Space War One.

The Destroids were there mainly because the SDF1 and other ships didn't have strong enough gun turrets on the hull. So the Destroids served as mobile gun emplacements.

Also, what bugs me in the Macross universe is the uniforms and pilot suits change with every friggin' series ? God knows Gundam has his continuity problems, but the fact the Feddies keep the same uniform for decades and decades is a very nice touch. For example, it would have been a nice touch to see Isamu or Gamlin wear a slightly updated version of Hikaru's uniform.

Tell me about it. The character designers usually are in charge of the characters' outfits but ended up doing what they want. Even Harahito Mikimoto didn't put a lot of consistancy on characters' uniforms when he was in charge, either.

Although uniform colors and stripes aren't consistant, at least the designers try to be consistant with rank insignia, even though the use of rank stripes, rank ribbons and collar pins aren't consistant.

What raised my eyebrow a bit was the bridge bunnies' uniforms for the Macross VF-X2 game, where the ladies wear a sailor-style jacket and it deviates from the bridge bunnie norm. Probably Mikimoto decided to put a "schoolgirl" fetish into the bunnies' uniforms.

Although not militaristic, I find that bridge bunny uniform to be cute and eye-pleasing. ;)

i'd always liked macross because its giant robots served a purpose: to fight giant aliens hand to hand.

Giant robots designed to fight other humans in giant robots for the sake of fighting in giant robots is lame.

Your logic escapes me. First you make a comment completely unrelated to Macross Zero, then say Macross Zero is systematically destroying your love of Macross. There's completely no connection between those statements and so your second statemement goes unexplained.

On an unrelated not I have to agree with Knight26's take on this Destroid. it looks like another Destroid, but not really any more advanced than it's predecessors, less advanced in a lot of ways. Of course Kawamori's design sense has changed in the years and that's going to reflect, but exactly like the VF-0 debate, it doesn't mean this really looks any more advanced. I'd take the good ol' Tomahawk over this one any day.

i'd always liked macross because its giant robots served a purpose:  to fight giant aliens hand to hand.

Your logic escapes me. First you make a comment completely unrelated to Macross Zero, then say Macross Zero is systematically destroying your love of Macross. There's completely no connection between those statements and so your second statemement goes unexplained.

On an unrelated not I have to agree with Knight26's take on this Destroid. it looks like another Destroid, but not really any more advanced than it's predecessors, less advanced in a lot of ways. Of course Kawamori's design sense has changed in the years and that's going to reflect, but exactly like the VF-0 debate, it doesn't mean this really looks any more advanced. I'd take the good ol' Tomahawk over this one any day.

I have to agree , I mean , it would be pretty strange if Kawamori´s style didn´t change a bit in 20 years , by the time he designed the mechs on AC he already had years of experience and it would be really weird if he didn´t adopt his own current style for M0 mechs.

And in regards to KingNor´s comments I don´t see how M0 could possibly systematicly destroying someone´s love for Macross when all of the UN mechas have been designed with the same thing in mind , and that is to combat aliens; the only reason you see them fighting humans is because there were no friking aliens and some idiots from the Anti-UN decided to use the technology against the goverment...which by all means has always been in Macross from the beggining.

Isamu and Gamlin do wear slightly updated DYRL style jump suits. They still have the same setup.... just slightly different add-ons.

And with the fighters getting more advanced.... its not a surprise they make special suits for those fighters.

i believe the -21/-22 has a special suit just for it (but Millia's VF-1 suit worked fine in M7)

I like, I like! :)

Although some will still claim that it looks advanced than the SDF series' Destroids. I like it. I can just imagine how mechanical it would look like in motion.

Can't wait for ep.3!!! :lol:

And I hope we also get to see the VF-1 soon!

Isamu and Gamlin do wear slightly updated DYRL style jump suits. They still have the same setup.... just slightly different add-ons.

And with the fighters getting more advanced.... its not a surprise they make special suits for those fighters.

i believe the -21/-22 has a special suit just for it (but Millia's VF-1 suit worked fine in M7)

Thats called fan-service. Millia fans would cry havok if they were to shove Milian into a cluttered flight suit. <_<

*waits for Vostok to agree*