YF-19 3D modeling

Sakura Shinguji

I've actually got several sets of blueprints myself, I'll see how many I can find on my backup drive. :)

Ok.. here comes a whole mess of pictures for comparison. ^_^

K, first, a few side views:

Yamato 1/60 (I think)

yama-yf19-side.jpg

Hasegawa 1/72 kit instructions

sidescan.jpg

Old lineart pic I got somewhere

excalibur_yf_19_f3.gif

Top Views:

Yamato 1/60

yamato19.jpg

Hasegawa

NewTop.jpg

Lineart

YF-19-3.jpg

Edited by Chronocidal

Lineart

YF-19-3.jpg

On this picture, I wonder if the YF-19 uses the shield to brake like the F-15 or ADF-01F Falken? I can imagine that the "Y" end piece of the YF-19 shield would split outwards making a brake on the top and bottom of the aircraft. If that is the case, I would add those on to my model as well.

Edited by Sakura Shinguji

I don't know if that would work, since I think the shield is hollow underneath for ammo storage. I've always wondered if the tops of the shoulders (those small vents) might flip up similar to the VF-11, but mostly I figure it just uses it's control surfaces to slow down like the Super Hornet does (rudders turn outward, flaps open wide, small panels open, etc.)

I do think it's interesting how much variation you can get in the YF-19, especially in terms of shape/size. The aircraft appears similar to both the Hasegawa and Yamato versions at different points in the anime.

For instance the sunset shot:

thin19.jpg

This is about as slim and detailed as you ever see the plane, and while the shape is a little different, it looks a lot like the Hasegawa in terms of how thin the plane is.

On the other hand, the lineart is closer to the Yamato.

YF-19-5.jpg

To be honest, I've never liked the new 1/60 Yamato sculpt very much. I know they had to make room for the internals, but that gullet just bothers me. I may eventually get one anyway, but I hope to someday make my own version in CG that'll give a better fighter mode.

What I am liking in recent times is the move to CG in Zero and Frontier. It doesn't have some of the old school charm of pure animation, but it generally gets rid of the anime magic that tends to make designs like the YF-19 so hard to duplicate in real life. Consequently, the VF-0 and (and hopefully the VF-25) toys are pretty much identical to the anime in all modes.

In my case though.. using the Hasegawa drawings was decided by one main fact: I think they're computer generated from the model molds. Same as with those two computer renders of the Yamato, the Hasegawa drawings line up perfectly with each other in all views. In contrast, try making a model that matches the lineart top and side views, and you'll give yourself a headache. The sizes of various parts don't quite match up in the various schematics, and you wind up fudging a lot of bits to get a working model.

Now, on the other end of the detail spectrum though... in the anime, it doesn't make sense to pack in a ton of detail, because you just have to keep drawing it over and over, and it doesn't stay consistent. But when you really want details, it's easy to go a bit crazy. ^_^

post-5-1107845545.jpg

post-5-1073732384.jpg

My flight sim models tend to go more toward that ideal, but trying to transform them would be hopeless.

Edited by Chronocidal

I pretty much modeled with the idea of placing the model into a game so I never really bothered with a lot of internal mechanics. As for the shield, Chronocidal, you are most likely right; I was just surprised to now know that the shield was also a body flap. As for Yamato verus Hasegawa, I used to have the terrible first version 1/100 Bandai VF-19S model and so, the Yamato version just blew my mind completely. I just felt that there was no way around the gullet problem if you wanted a transformable fighter. Anyway, if you want to, you can leave me a private message of your email and I can give you the model and texture. I rigged it in Blender, so I am not sure how you will be able to see the animations.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...