Macross Zero Dub Project

Hikuro

MACROSS ZERO SERIES DUB STATUS

Here's where you wanna be to catch all the related news to Macross Zero being dubbed into English by my group, Dark Heroes Entertainment.

EPISODE ONE:

MACROSS ZERO EPISODE 1 PART 1

MACROSS ZERO EPISODE 1 PART 2

MACROSS ZERO EPISODE 1 PART 3

EPISODE TWO:

Episode two's audio is completed. All that remains is about the last 2/3rds of the vocals to be placed in so cast members need to get their butts in gear!

EPISODE THREE:

In the works, wont be out till maybe fall or winter.

EPISODE FOUR:

Hiatus

EPISODE FIVE:

Hiatus

Edited by Hikuro

yea you should have scripts and time frames for each thing and have people do an open try out where they follow a script and time frame for the script and submit a audio file linked here or sent to your email. A female script and a male script then kinda of see where their voice fits you know.

:unsure: I do know how to hold auditions you guys....I'm not going to hold any auditions just yet though. I'm currently polishing things up before I start looking for voices.

Yes a script has been written, I'm even like a third of the way done with Episode 3's script...and I'm on my 4th script re-write for Episode 2.

When I'm ready for auditions I will let everyone know where they need to go to check things out ;) be patient.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Okay so only 3 people have completed their lines, still LOTS more to go, and I'm already getting a little miffed off that people haven't turned in lines when i've requested they contact me to find out what's going on.

So there will be recasts VERY soon.

hmmm... considering this is a fandub, are you going to be true to the actual translation, or allow your VA's to adlib just a little to make it more natural? for instance, using a little slang that might be expected of a crew on an actual carrier...

Edited by Shaka_Z

Well, I try to stay true to the translation but being in the english language I wouldn't include things like san, chan, dono, Tori no hito, the only thing kept is Kadun.

The bes tway to find out what the dub is like is to go to the Fanedit thread that Boinger has up and download it for yourself.

It's over a 2 year old dub for episode 1, working with a certain style tha tkept alot of the music and original sfxs compared to what I do now, which is basically redo everything from scratch but keep the original style intact.

Mippa who is playing Mao managed to turn in her lines tonight, I got all but maybe 3 entered cause I don't have a good spot to place them cause Shin's lines are in the way...so I'll hav eto wait.

I'm also recasting a few roles this weekend like Ivanov, and Aries.

Hikuro, do you have an email I can send you the voice stuff to? I did it using Audacity recording software, and I'm slightly out of practice, but pm me with an email so I can send it to you. We can converse via that method.

• 2 months later...

Ah, it's been a few months...with the completion of DYRL it's time to move back into the driver seat of this lil badboy.

I've casted a new Ivanov who will also be playing another role in macross aria.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5yctflNpWQ this is the latest sample of about 4 minutes worth of footage. It's a bit hiccupy as I haven't fine tuned it but it's not bad for now.

No due date yet as I still got alot to fine tune, and a few members to recast and getting some others off their butts to finish.

Ah, it's been a few months...with the completion of DYRL it's time to move back into the driver seat of this lil badboy.

I've casted a new Ivanov who will also be playing another role in macross aria.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5yctflNpWQ this is the latest sample of about 4 minutes worth of footage. It's a bit hiccupy as I haven't fine tuned it but it's not bad for now.

No due date yet as I still got alot to fine tune, and a few members to recast and getting some others off their butts to finish.

If you need anything for Edgar, lemme know, I'll get on it ASAP.

Does that mean that casting is complete?
Yep, until Episode 3 comes around, casting is done. I don't have a male role open for now and when Episode 3 begins I'll be recasting Sara Gnome since Allison Rose had to leave due to pregnancy XD although she should be done by the time this comes out!

Dude, seriously shut up about it, I'll use whatever I wanted. You should be fin bouncing off the walls seeing how I did it for DYRL to get you to quit your bitching.

Besides it's not even bad in this movie, you hardly hear anything wrong with that effect.

Are ye deaf or mad? It's ear-splittingly painful! Most of the people on the DYRL? thread preferred VM, but didn't care enough about it to protest.

For that matter, it sounds NOTHING like it did in the anime. VM is almost there, man. I'm not bitching, I'm BEGGING. I watched the sample of DYRL? again, and my ears farting bled. No lie. There was red, coppery liquid flowing slowly out of my ear canal. Perhaps I'm just a bit sensitive, but the point stands: Voice Mail is easier on the ears, sounds more like they have a helmet on and not a fishbowl, and is more like what they used in the actual anime.

It is your production, but I can't see how it's humanly possible to like the effect. Dude, I was just asking you to change it to a better effect. Nothing more.

Oh, and I haven't seen anything about DYRL? since the Act I sample.

Are ye deaf or mad? It's ear-splittingly painful! Most of the people on the DYRL? thread preferred VM, but didn't care enough about it to protest.

For that matter, it sounds NOTHING like it did in the anime. VM is almost there, man. I'm not bitching, I'm BEGGING. I watched the sample of DYRL? again, and my ears farting bled. No lie. There was red, coppery liquid flowing slowly out of my ear canal. Perhaps I'm just a bit sensitive, but the point stands: Voice Mail is easier on the ears, sounds more like they have a helmet on and not a fishbowl, and is more like what they used in the actual anime.

It is your production, but I can't see how it's humanly possible to like the effect. Dude, I was just asking you to change it to a better effect. Nothing more.

Oh, and I haven't seen anything about DYRL? since the Act I sample.

Talk about beating a dead horse. If someone pestered me about the Trypticon voice effects on Headmasters, I'd definitely add them to some form of ignore list.

Then shut up. I'm getting annoyed with the fact you're really the only one who gripes about it like you're brain is going to melt. If it is that bad to your ears then don't watch it or get your ears checked by a doctor cause no one else has that problem. And you're begging is starting to sound like whining.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the effect for this video at the least. I did it your way, now let me do it MINE.

Here's a thought MC, if you don't f**king like it, here's your options.

1. Make one yourself, show your apparent superior audio mixing and production capabilities, blow Hikuro's out of the water, and say HA! See, should have listened to me. Though I doubt you will, and I commend Hikuro for doing this, and staying with it this long. I can't wait...

2. Here's the more likely option for you. If you don't like it, then DON'T F**KING WATCH IT!!!!!!!! DON'T F**CKING LISTEN TO IT, and above all else, for the sake of the rest of us who've had to watch this pointless bitching, DON'T F**CKING TALK ABOUT IT!

Thank you, and Hikuro, to be honest, yeah, I find the effect slightly off. Not bad though. And seeing as how I'm just happy someone did this, so it's easily overlooked and a small price to pay. Some of us more realistic people understand you don't own your own animation studio with professional VA's and the latest dubbing equip. When are you selling these, anyway, or at least putting them up for download?

Edited by Excillon

You know what, screw it. I don't f@#$ing care. It's your f@#$ing movie. Do what you f@#$ing want. I didn't MAKE you do anything. All of your decisions thus far have been your own. Had I known you had changed content in DYRL? I probably wouldn't have commented about it, out of gratitude. But I didn't. Okay? No?

I am sorry for my whining; I just didn't like the effect.

And if you can't accept an apology over something as simple as that, one can only hope Harmony Gold doesn't find out about this. They'd have Walmart's head for distributing something Macross without permission. -_- f@#$ing HG...

Edited by SchizophrenicMC

They're going straight up for download. Right now DVD's are a pain in the ass to figure out, everything I'm using just doesn't wanna play nice. Besides, the DVD's would more go to cast members for free rather than being shipped to everyone. After seeing what happened to my friend and one of her videos being ripped off and sold on ebay, I'm really watching who I had my stuff out too.

Oh, and if I had the capability to do so, I probably would make it my way. The thing is, I don't have the money or time to do this. Programs and whatnot are damned expensive, as I'm sure Hikuro knows.

Also, for some reason <_< no one knows or likes me enough to help out....

Edited by SchizophrenicMC

programs are not expensive if you look around. Although I had a few really good paying jobs for a few years and they managed to help bring what I wanted to light.

But if you know what you're shooting for, and you know how to get it you do it. I didn't start off doing well, I had alot of the "Heh, lots of stuff could of been done better." or "You really didn't do a good script."

Plus I try not to piss people off, sometimes I fail, I've lost VA's and producers who helped me out on projects cause they did things I didn't agree with and told them they couldn't hack it. But in some cases, it brought them down to reality and they got better.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Hikuro, was just watching your fan-dub of Macross Zero episode 1, i gotta say, I like, alot!! The sounds effects are the same as the series, everyone did a great job on the voice acting and Shin & Roy are kick ass!!

Will you be doing all 5 episodes. I have all the older FX DVD's, quality is ok, but the translation sucks ass. This is the 1st i have been able to watch, listen and love Macross Zero for all it is!!

Keep up the great work bro!!

Nothing beats Lucas Film's typical storm trooper scream :p NOTHING!!! AAAAAOOOOHHHH!

Will you be doing all 5 episodes. I have all the older FX DVD's, quality is ok, but the translation sucks ass. This is the 1st i have been able to watch, listen and love Macross Zero for all it is!!

Keep up the great work bro!!

That's the goal, 2's on the way but slow...I need my Roy VA to kick some ass as he's only done a third of the lines. I've only scripted all but the last 4 minutes of Episode 3 and I have yet to touch the mixing side of that.

Zero's kind of got a bit of a uniqueness to it, sometimes the audio I'm working with wont match the original japanese audio and I gotta redo a lot of the pieces.

Episode 2 will pretty much be mixed from scratch unlike Episode 1 where atleast 40% of the episodes audio was reused cause it lacked dialouge. The future episodes will be less and less like that and pretty much being completely remixed like DYRL was. But the audio quality will still be rather high end.

Just watched it, man. Epic stuff. Personal question here, no vendetta against you or anything, but do you always cast yourself as the main character? I mean, DYRL?, Zero, Frontier... I can see Hikaru, definitely, but you're just not the carrier of Alto or Shin's soul, know what I mean? Hikaru's a bit of a kid, and your voice is kinda sorta higher pitched than most guys your age and a bit nasal. (Flonase? :p) It works for Hikaru. (And blows Vic Mignona out of the water.) However, when I think Shin, I think "Strong, silent type. Really ominous when he says something. Kinda like Master Chief, in a way." I mean, it's your production, so do as you see fit... And I'm glad you agree about Alto. It'd be a really tough sell, you know?

Overall, dude, I love how Episode one was mixed. A few spots where volume was flippy. And, no offense, but the Captain of the Asuka II sounded like a retard. Almost like Kakizaki... It works for fun-loving Hayao, but not for the gruff captain of an aircraft carrier. Think Crispin Freeman...

Roy seemed to fit his personality well, especially with DYRL? considered. Lady's man, doesn't euphemise, treats his plane like a fine woman...

Sucks that you're lacking dialogue...

Little constructive criticism: I've noticed you stutter some of your lines slightly. Zero and DYRL?. Not even the stuttered lines. If there's anything you could do to work on that, at least on your part, it'd be an A+ production. I give this a 4.2/5 for some editing issues.

Totally don't know where you get this idea of stuttering honestly, cause I don't. It could be do to quality, or the way the microphone picks up my voice, but I don't stutter when I speak. Lots of people hear my voice in different productions and personal friends, never been told I stutter, even doctors have never mentioned it.

Maybe slurring is more what you meant? Cause I do slur from time to time when I'm tired or not really in the mood to talk.

As for the main characters, I had someone else playing Shin, but the guy bailed at the last minute. So I had to step in since at the time of the production, the male roles being filled were VERY difficult. Still are, but after DYRL was released I started to get a higher turn over.

I'm pretty much now steping out of the Voice Acting end and sticking to producing, however if there's a character I played in a previous installment, I continue doing the role until it's finished. So that means you'll probably have to deal with me as Alto a little longer, but don't quote me on that.

As for my range, I have a VERY large range of high to fairly low pitch or even oldman style (Better than when I did Nataku or the captain of the Asuka) I've even pranked some co workers and family members.