Macross Frontier music

My copy of May'n Street is waiting for another CD to be released before it ships to me. Meanwhile, the 'internet' has provided some nice previews. Not too fond of May'n Space, but WHY? could be a sleeper hit if it was a single. Very nice power ballad. LION was... missing something. Would have liked it better if the arrangement was a bit more rocking-out. Original LION duet remains the definitive Frontier song for me.

Why do I get the feeling that jthjlyeah's post is spam...?

After listening to May'n Street a few times, I pretty much agree with Drifand. For me, the May'n-Only version of Lion doesn't have as much power as the duet version.

That said, I hope Megumi puts a version of it on her album, whenever the Victor bigwigs decide that she needs to put one out.

Still hoping for a complete Macross Frontier BGM CD.

Graham

I second that. So much other stuff they need to put out, including some mixes & remixes of the instrumental tracks that were cool.

Taksraven

With me, that makes 3. And i'm sure thare are more out there who want a full BGM CD(s). The amount of unreleased material in Macross F is staggering and what's worse, some of the best tracks are amongst them. The Vajra's attack, the BGM meddley in the pursuit sequence in episode 2, and many, many more. Publish them already, enough with vocal compilations with the nth version of Aimo. GIVE US YOKO KANNO'S BGMs NOW!!

With me, that makes 3. And i'm sure thare are more out there who want a full BGM CD(s). The amount of unreleased material in Macross F is staggering and what's worse, some of the best tracks are amongst them. The Vajra's attack, the BGM meddley in the pursuit sequence in episode 2, and many, many more. Publish them already, enough with vocal compilations with the nth version of Aimo. GIVE US YOKO KANNO'S BGMs NOW!!

Perhaps they are waiting for the movie before they release it? I'm pretty sure alot of the BGM will be reused, especially if they are re-using the animation as well.

Perhaps they are waiting for the movie before they release it? I'm pretty sure alot of the BGM will be reused, especially if they are re-using the animation as well.

Quite possible, or maybe they will wait for the completion of the DVD releases to release a more "complete" soundtrack.

Taksraven

Yoko kanno soundtracks suffer from the fact that only some main themes are reused and each episode gets either new music or rearranged cues. This causes the amount of music unreleased to be huge. GITS SAC had 6 or 7 CDs out and still there's a wealth of unreleased material. Even the effort of fans that ripped unreleased cues directly from the DVDs and shared it i still managed to find stuff missing.

I wish they would start giving BGMs the respect they deserve. Almost all song of Macross F have been released. Hey, i like the songs but give us the BGMs.

If they don't want to risk putting money on a CD that might not sell (although i think it would), then released them for download, either on the official site or on iTunes, or something, in exchange for a DL fee. That way they still get money with only the expense of putting the music on the net, and we get all the BGMs we love. Think about it, people in charge.

For now i'm stuck listening to unreleased tracks with either bad quality sound due to voice removal or with voices over them, it's still better than nothing, at least until someone comes up with a better alternative.

Anyone else loving the track "is this LOVE?" as much as I am? I can't seem to get enough of it. I wish they would release more BGM!!!

Funny thing is that track ISN'T even on the show. I just rewatched the whole series and will start rewatching again to make a "Track by episode" list, and i didn't ear it anywhere. I thought it was from the episodes that take place at Miyoshi Academy (Star Date and High School Queen) but not a sniff. Does anyone know where this is from?

Could be Megumi decided to go the hard route... not wanting to be pigeon-holed as an anime songstress by going her own way. Contrast with May'n whose management(?) is shrewder and worked in Kanno + LION while slipping in a few other musical styles to hook us Frontier fans. I did enjoy Megumi's music but not so much her new 'visual persona' with the donuts... THAT was lame album art.

That would pretty much put Megumi on the Mari Iijima track, wouldn't it?

I'm not really sure what you mean by that, so this answer may not be relevant... :unsure:

Are you saying that Megumi's work in Macross might overshadow any music career she embarks on? If so, I don't see how having Yoko Kanno write and produce a song or two on her first solo album would mean that she'd be forever typecast as Ranka.

Besides, Mari's songs sound nothing like Minmay's. Mari has always written her own material, Megumi doesn't (yet, at any rate). So I don't really see the comparison.

Are you saying that Megumi's work in Macross might overshadow any music career she embarks on? If so, I don't see how having Yoko Kanno write and produce a song or two on her first solo album would mean that she'd be forever typecast as Ranka.

Yep this.. I mean, there already the movie coming out, and she will definitely have new songs on it, so if she didn't release an album without Macross connections, she might be typecast? On the other hand, if her album doesn't do well, she can still fall back on the Macross movie to boost her popularity again. So to me it seems like a win-win situation for her to release this album.

• 2 weeks later...

As for the unreleased material:

I finished running through the 25 episodes of the show and tonight i'll go through the Deculture and Yack-Deculture Editions of episode 1.

As soon as i have the time to do it, i'll sift through all my data and post my findings here.

One thing i can tell you right now, a full BGM edition is totally possible. Ive got roughly 2,5 to 3 hours of music (discarding repeats and smaller cues that are part of the bigger ones). So even if there are some cues that are slightly bigger than what we ear in the show they can put it in 2 CDs, 3 tops.

Another thing that surprised me is that the unreleased tracks make for the bulk of the music used in the show. I was surprised that some of the most known and beloved BGM tracks from OSTs 1 and 2, like Tally HO! or Reminiscence Trumpet (I'm talking about my personal taste here,) are almost unused. I had the feeling they were used A LOT more than they actually are.

And as i had posted before, "Is this love?" is nowhere to be seen.

Well, i'll leave my ramblings for the actual post wich i'll put up as soon as possible.

Edited by westfall

Thanks for the info, Westfall. I know a lot of the BGM I enjoyed isn't there. I'd really like the piece where they steal the Quarter. I think they went for something along the lines of a suite approach. The songs are good, but I always hate how the BGM always takes a backseat.

Thanks for the info, Westfall. I know a lot of the BGM I enjoyed isn't there. I'd really like the piece where they steal the Quarter. I think they went for something along the lines of a suite approach. The songs are good, but I always hate how the BGM always takes a backseat.

That particular one appears in 4 episodes, 12,14,16 and finaly 22 in wich the Quarter is hijacked by the SMS.

I've been calling it "VF-25 Messiah" but after watching that scene i thought of actualy calling it "Macross Quarter", but there is another BGM in that same episode when the SMS crew receives Cathy's... sms (text message). That one appears in 6,12,15,22 and 23 and has the temporary title "Sunken Battleship" but could also be the Quarter's music. Let me know what you think.

Edited by westfall

westfall,

i've also been hunting for is this LOVE? since OST2 came out and couldn't find it anywhere. i trawled various forums for leads and rewatched episode portions where they pointed to. after a while i ended up rewatching whole episodes and nearly the entire season. until your post i was convinced i may have missed where they played it, since i caught myself several times watching the show than keeping an ear out. i'm amazed at your discipline for having kept tabs of the music whilst watching.

my conspiracy theory is that it was in the scene that resolved the triangle, but ended up on the cutting room floor to leave the door open for the movie. B))

I'm loving forward to this album...

Seems like there will be a drama CD for Macross F involving Yuichi Nakamura, Aya Endo, Megumi Nakajima and others. It is not clear whether Kanno will be involved in this, but they have to use Macross F BGM, right? It also looks like there will be covers of previous Macross songs, I wonder if the Request Ranka thing has anything to do with this. The Macross staff previously opened a fan votation for what they’d like to hear Ranka sing, and they’re currently tallying the results.

Currently, the Request Ranka standings are:

1. Angel Paints: 334 votes

2. My Friends: 289 votes

3. Totsugeki Love Heart: 203 votes

4. Voices: 162 votes

5. Information high: 104 votes

Hmmm, Voices is too low, though I hope she’d sing that one. And Totsugeki Love Heart should be interesting too.

CD Details:

Catalog No.: VTCL-60102

CD Title: Macross F [Drama CD]

Release Date: April 8, 2009

Price: 1900yen (1995yen Tax incl.) [approx. US$ 20.98]

Purchase through CDJapan

westfall,

i've also been hunting for is this LOVE? since OST2 came out and couldn't find it anywhere. i trawled various forums for leads and rewatched episode portions where they pointed to. after a while i ended up rewatching whole episodes and nearly the entire season. until your post i was convinced i may have missed where they played it, since i caught myself several times watching the show than keeping an ear out. i'm amazed at your discipline for having kept tabs of the music whilst watching.

my conspiracy theory is that it was in the scene that resolved the triangle, but ended up on the cutting room floor to leave the door open for the movie. B))

That could be but i doubt it, for 2 reasons:

1 - If the triangle was resolved either way, be it with Sheryl or Ranka, there are themes that were used through out the show that would fit better than "Is This Love?", it really doesn't sound as a love theme, despite the title. It's more fitting for scenes like the ones in "Star Date" of Alto showing Sheryl around Frontier, you know, it just has a "Road Trip" feeling to it.

Alto x Sheryl "love theme" is, in my opinion, "Prologue F" from OST 2, it plays in most of their "love" scenes, in particular episode 24's kiss.

Alto x Ranka "love theme" is harder to pin-point, they use "Aimo" as BGM for them a lot, no vocal version, of course. For Ranka's goodbye scene at Grifith Park where Alto teaches her to fold a paper airplane, they used an unreleased track i call "Mother" that is actually a mix of "Alto's theme" and "Aimo", very smooth and calm. It fits to two very well.

2 - If there was such a scene it would have been cut before music was mixed, unless it was a last minute decision, made when the show was already completed. Of course the track may have been composed with that scene in mind but, as i refered in reason 1, it just doesn't feel like a track that would be used in such a moment. Something slower, calmer and a lot more epic would fit better.

But hey, i'm not a music expert, i'm just a fan that has a taste for BGMs.

And for those that are keeping track, i will post my run through the music of Macross Frontier but i have to collect my thoughts about it. As you can see from THIS post, i tend to get enthused with the subject matter and i start to ramble. I will write and trim it on a word processer and then i'll put it here.

As a final thought, any of you guys know of a good way to remove the vocals from these tracks? A user at a Yoko Kanno/Gabriela Robin fan site did it with the unreleased tracks from GITS SAC and did a stellar job. Of course GITS SAC had 5.1 mix on the DVDs and, as far as i know, MF has been released in 2.0. I had some success with a couple of tracks but there's some bass loss. Quality wise, they sound good but FAR from CD quality. Most of the vocals are wiped but SFX are still there. That's why i hope they put these tracks out on CD.

Well, i'll shut up for now. I hope i can get the post up soon.

Edited by westfall

hey, i was just kidding about the conspiracy theory :D

but i buy your logic that it's most likely be a remix/reprise of the dominant romantic theme that would've been used in the resolution scene, as seems to be the thematic formula in most movies. i can still imagine though how is this LOVE can be used for the same purpose. the song has many aborted crescendos that would suit an awkward, hesitating revelation scene.

looking forward to your rundown of MF music.

Hey guys, new songs for Ranka and Sheryl have been announced in Animage March 2009 issue :) Let's not fret about the unreleased BGMs just yet, they might all get released.

Anouncing new songs from Ranka and Sheryl does not make me fret any less.

Why?

1 - All songs that are featured in the series have already been published, with the exception of 1 or 2 variations of Aimo, so any new songs are either material that wasn't used in the show or songs that will appear in the movie.

2 - When we talk about unreleased BGMs we are talking primarily about the missing cues from Yoko Kanno's score wich comprise at least another 70 minutes of music.

Until i see an anouncement of a CD like the vocal collection but with only BGM (i.e. no songs, just score), i will fret.

I like Sheryl... and Ranka... and am glad new material is comingout, but when it comes to score CDs, history tells us the fans end up getting burned.

Edited by westfall

2 - When we talk about unreleased BGMs we are talking primarily about the missing cues from Yoko Kanno's score wich comprise at least another 70 minutes of music.

At least even just one movie OST should cut that number down a bit, unless they actually wrote more bgm for the movie XD

Not that Macross Frontier wasn't musically spectacular already, but was I the only one kind of sadden by the fact that none of the Macross Plus songs got a cover by Ranka and/or Sheryl?

I felt the same, but only by a bit :)

diamond creavesse! did i spell that right?

It's crevasse :D

I don't know if this was already asked, but there is a song that plays at the end of episode 11, and i can't find it anywhere on the OSt's. I downloaded OST 1 and 2 but can't seem to find the song. Any insight?

I don't know if this was already asked, but there is a song that plays at the end of episode 11, and i can't find it anywhere on the OSt's. I downloaded OST 1 and 2 but can't seem to find the song. Any insight?

Its called Neko Nikki, you can find it on the seikan hikou single or the nyan tama vocal collection