Macross Frontier music

Someone please tell me if there's a lower quality torrent / download link out... I really don't like downloading the lossless ones :p

Someone just posted a VBR MP3 re-encode for those who want an iPod/MP3 friendly version on Tokyo Toshokan.

Were those supposed to be full versions of Minmay's songs?

It was never indicated that they would be full versions of the songs so those of you who thought you would be getting full versions, well, the joke is on you.

How come people hate loseless ones? They play with any decent media player (VLC or Zoom).

They won't play on an iPod or mp3 player tho... aside from Apple lossless but those take up a metric f**kton of space.

iamwithstupid.gif

How come people hate loseless ones? They play with any decent media player (VLC or Zoom).

I don't hate them, they just take too much space, and they'll probably be on a CD that I will purchase anyway (which I usually rip to 320kbps).

Just wait...Jeez :rolleyes:

It was never indicated that they would be full versions of the songs so those of you who thought you would be getting full versions, well, the joke is on you.

Waiting? Really, I'm terrible with that, besides, some of these guys find torrents or DDLs faster than I do, I could use a little help :p

As for the short version of the songs, cut the guys some slack. It's true that the song was always marked "Deculture Edition" in the CD sales, and the version played in the Deculture Edition of Ep. 1 was short, therefore it was definitely a short version. But some people thought that it meant more like "Deculture Version" and hoped that it was in full. Full versions don't really get marked as "Full ver.", so it should be understandable that some people hoped it was. (If they said "Deculture Length" then that would have been more clear).

EDIT: It wasn't "Deculture Edition", rather it was publicized as "Deculture Edition Size", so I suppose some of the posters here just wasn't informed that it was such.

But of course, it's a CD single, and the more realistic expectation was to have... a single with one bonus. Depending on how you view it, it's either generous that they gave 2 other bonus tracks, or that they're so mean they're teasing us this way. I think it's "generous".

Mp3 rips out on tokyotosho now.

Thank you! :)

Edited by mike_s_6

It feels a little disjointed, but that's to be expected, I suppose. Good stuff. I especially like the little metal riff (is it Sabbath?) thrown in the end of Seikan Hikou...

Of of the three MacF singles released to date, this one is BY FAR the cutest!

It feels a little disjointed, but that's to be expected, I suppose. Good stuff. I especially like the little metal riff (is it Sabbath?) thrown in the end of Seikan Hikou...

Of of the three MacF singles released to date, this one is BY FAR the cutest!

The riff is similar to the riff in Smoke on the Water by Deep Purple, it is also heard before the verses I think, but at a much faster tempo.

The riff is similar to the riff in Smoke on the Water by Deep Purple, it is also heard before the verses I think, but at a much faster tempo.

THAT'S it...I knew it was some early '70s metal song, but my memory was failing me as to what exactly it was...Thanks.

I really like the Deculture version of DYRL... kind of reminds me of a jp Massive Attack...

Otherwise Neko Nekki > Diamond Crevasse I think... :o

Bite your tongue, stray!

Neko Nikki is certainly sweet and charming, but I think I like the extravagant, desolate, drowning-in-tears, back-of-hand-nailed-to-forehead sorrow of Diamond Crevasse a little better.

So far, at least. Give the new single some time to sink in...

march, i'd have to give you props for your relatively objective review of the album. being both a macross fan and a kanno yoko fan, i couldn't be half as objective about reviewing this OST as you were. :)

for example, right now i'm rating it as the best.ever., but somehere in the back of my macross fanboy mind, i know that it's not true, and that there are a lot of better ones, previous KY works included. :)

I am in complete agreeance....this CD is absolutely awesome! (And it made an incredible Father's Day present!!! :lol: )

My wife laughs her head off as I try to learn the lyrics to the SMS song....she's been stuck with a Macross fanatic for 25 years now!!

Edited by fhrex

I was catching up on some of the older posts on this board and I wanted to toss in my 2 cents. Earlier this month there was debate about sampling or copying from other pieces of work or artists. Yoko Kanno is a wonderful composer and producer. She knows what she is doing. If there was a chance of copying or sampling, she would need to contact the current rights holders for permission to use it in her work.

Case in point the composer for Macross Zero: Tracks VF-0 and Sky Shine clearly incorporate parts lifted out of the Rocketeer and Starship Troopers. Its only 3 to 4 seconds worth, but clearly borrowed from James Horner and Basil Poledouris, with their permission.

I made a post about this way back when the Zero OST Vol. 1 was released.

Now to the other reason I am writing today. When has the Lion song been heard? Is it going to be replacing Triangular as the theme? The listing for the Lion preorder lists it as the Macross F theme.

Every one of the Frontier CD's has been beyond my expectation and I hope they continue to be this way.

I am in complete agreeance....this CD is absolutely awesome! (And it made an incredible Father's Day present!!! :lol: )

My wife laughs her head off as I try to learn the lyrics to the SMS song....she's been stuck with a Macross fanatic for 25 years now!!

My fiancee, only rolls her eyes at me when I am blasting "don't be late" or anything else from Sheryl. But when I am done cooking dinner all is forgotten....until next time.

Now to the other reason I am writing today. When has the Lion song been heard? Is it going to be replacing Triangular as the theme? The listing for the Lion preorder lists it as the Macross F theme.

Every one of the Frontier CD's has been beyond my expectation and I hope they continue to be this way.

Lion will be the second intro song, so it's not yet been heard :)

Lion will be the second intro song, so it's not yet been heard :)

So is Macross Frontier going to be changing the theme song every so often then or will it only be the 2?

Gundam Wing only had 2 and Gundam 0083 (fav Gundam series) also only had 2.

So is Macross Frontier going to be changing the theme song every so often then or will it only be the 2?

Lion and Northern Cross will more than likely show up in episode 13 or 14, can't wait to hear them as well as see the new op/ed sequences.

I was catching up on some of the older posts on this board and I wanted to toss in my 2 cents. Earlier this month there was debate about sampling or copying from other pieces of work or artists. Yoko Kanno is a wonderful composer and producer. She knows what she is doing. If there was a chance of copying or sampling, she would need to contact the current rights holders for permission to use it in her work.

Case in point the composer for Macross Zero: Tracks VF-0 and Sky Shine clearly incorporate parts lifted out of the Rocketeer and Starship Troopers. Its only 3 to 4 seconds worth, but clearly borrowed from James Horner and Basil Poledouris, with their permission.

I made a post about this way back when the Zero OST Vol. 1 was released.

Are you serious, the composer for Macross Zero specifically requested and got permission from those composers? It's cool there was that contact, but it seems unnecessary to me (although I guess it's a professional courtesy).

Honestly, I don't see why people make such a big deal of it. There's a very very long musical tradition of even the great composers quoting themes from other composers/etc. I think it's always been seen for what it is; invoking another theme, just as quoting a famous line in a piece of literature has the same effect.

I think it only ever becomes problematic on music when it is plagiarism, trying to pass something off as an original composition (which musical quoting really doesn't do since you're inherently quoting a well-known theme).

-Elektrix

It's not yet verified if there are only two, but as of now, they are the only two we know of.

Are you serious, the composer for Macross Zero specifically requested and got permission from those composers? It's cool there was that contact, but it seems unnecessary to me (although I guess it's a professional courtesy).

I think these kind of things make sense in business of any kind, art and music not exepted. The idea is that even though it's a minor courtesy in a minor matter - you want to always cultivate a reputation for courtesy in the small things so that you can then hope for reciprocal courtesy or - better still - wider courtesy and help with the big things.

As to the music - I love it, but sometimes - as someone who doesn't speak or understand Japanese, I get a little miffed because I have difficulty concieving of the actual real world artists behind these songs. I've seen Marii Iijima on youtube, and also Yoshiki Fukayama - but I've not seen any of the real world artists who do the songs from Macross: Frontier - so I can't really comment on songs unless they are referenced as "Ranka's song" or "Sheryl's song" :)

VFTF1

I think these kind of things make sense in business of any kind, art and music not exepted. The idea is that even though it's a minor courtesy in a minor matter - you want to always cultivate a reputation for courtesy in the small things so that you can then hope for reciprocal courtesy or - better still - wider courtesy and help with the big things.

As to the music - I love it, but sometimes - as someone who doesn't speak or understand Japanese, I get a little miffed because I have difficulty concieving of the actual real world artists behind these songs. I've seen Marii Iijima on youtube, and also Yoshiki Fukayama - but I've not seen any of the real world artists who do the songs from Macross: Frontier - so I can't really comment on songs unless they are referenced as "Ranka's song" or "Sheryl's song" :)

VFTF1

I'm not sure I really understand what you're saying...if someone says, for example, "May'n has a great voice," that's no good...they have to say "May'n (Sheryl's voice) has a great voice"...?

After all, you don't want to make VFTF1 miffed...you wouldn't like him when he's miffed.

I'm listening to Ranka's debut single for the first time right now, and I like it quite a bit. Not as much as Aimo, or some of Sheryl's stuff, but still good stuff. I'm glad they finally put out her version of Do You Remember Love, even in short version. It still doesn't top the real one, but I like it a lot. I'd love to hear it full. I like it a lot more than the M7 version.

Interesting stuff on the M0 composer getting permission. What are your sources for that? I haven't read the whole thread, so pardon my asking how that discussion started. I love Kanno's work, but even I have noticed some influences from her in the past. Part of her M+ score did sound a lot like Holst's Jupiter at parts. I also can't help but hear a little PotC in one MF piece (Tally Ho! I believe).

It happens. I remember outright hearing music from Glory in Gundam 0083. I'm not talking something similar either, but the piece itself. Gundam F91's composer seemed heavily influenced by The Empire Strikes Back. We also know what happened recently with Gunbuster (despite that being an obvious homage).

I wonder if a FLAC version's out yet. WavPack sounds great and all, but my Winamp isn't configured at the moment to play it (using MPC instead). EDIT Ah, never mind. Thank you s usual, LonE. Though Q-R has great scans.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

I wonder if a FLAC version's out yet. WavPac sounds great and all, but my Winamp is configured to play it (using MPC instead).

Yes, the FLAC encoding is out already.

I've seen Marii Iijima on youtube, and also Yoshiki Fukayama - but I've not seen any of the real world artists who do the songs from Macross: Frontier - so I can't really comment on songs unless they are referenced as "Ranka's song" or "Sheryl's song" :)

Spoilered, just in case, for some odd reason, you don't want to see the voices behind the characters...

<- May'n live Diamond Crevasse from a variety show *weep*

http://nakajimamegumi.com/ <- acting and singing voice of Ranka... official website

^_^

There were some great pics of Megumi promoting Frontier in a green dress I can't find to save my life. Link was in one of the Frontier news threads I think.

Edited by stray

VFTF1

does it really make a difference?

i mean, if your first instinct upon hearing the song is seeing Sheryl or ranka singing it, you shouldn't be bothered, because the producers/creators seem to intend for you to do so (even going to the extent of making the in-universe liner notes for the OST). it shouldn't really affect your appreciation of the songs. for example, up to now, i refer to the old macross songs as Minmei's songs, not mari ijima's songs.

but, of course, it helps that i know, in the back of my mind, the name of the actual artist behind the voice. just to give credit where it's due. :)

Edited by dreamweaver13

In slightly related news, I found May'n's previous single, "Fallin' in or not," back when she was still Mei Nakabayashi...and, um...I don't like it.

I guess having Yoko Kanno as your songwriter really makes all the difference (as if I didn't know that before...).

A little off-topic: I was hoping someone could shed a little light on this.....I have gotten the Macross F OST CD but it did not include a backstage pass ticket which I have seen in several places online. Was the backstage pass a promo or was it supposed to be included with all copies?

Edited by fhrex

A little off-topic: I was hoping someone could shed a little light on this.....I have gotten the Macross F OST CD but it did not include a backstage pass ticket which I have seen in several places online. Was the backstage pass a promo or was it supposed to be included with all copies?

Pretty sure that was a first press thing or something like that.