The premise of Red Dawn seems bizarre and outlandish today, but if you were alive and "with it" (meaning not a toddler or little kid) in the early '80s everyone and their brother was freaked that the Russians were going to try to invade us. There was a rumor going around my junior high in 1983 that the Russians were going to invade the US on new years day 1984. It was like Y2K before Y2K.

It would have the same offense level of a movie about World War 2 featuring Nazis or Imperial Japanese as the bad guys. ie none. (except for maybe a lot of Japanese I`ve met who genuinely think they were the good guys in WWII!)

You'd be surprised how many Germans feel that they were unfairly and unjustly injured as a result of WWII :) There's a marginal albeit sufficiently large-to-be-important popular movement in Germany now for the acknowledgement of German victimhood as a result of the forced removal of Germans from Poland's western lands in 1945.

The sad thing is - technically they are right. The forced removal and repression of the German minority in Poland after WWII was no better than what the NAZIs did to other people :(...

My point is that the fact that we feel like we "need" to find som stereotypical villain to be put into a movie is the terrible result of most of the trash holywood feeds us.

The sad truth is that in war, no side is ever 100% right, and even if one side is theoretically superior (for instance "believes" in better stuff like freedom or democracy or whatever), then war forces all sides to basically become the same: organized mass killing machines :(

So - I actually am a big fan of movies like Yamato or Stalingrad which show German soldiers and Japanese sailors as people engulfed in the tragedy of warfare as well. Not that there isn't heroism - only that heroism is not a one-sideed phenomena.

Holywood should make more good movies- whether they're re-makes or not is beside the point.

VFTF1

Wow remaking Robocop and Red Dawn now? Hollywood is out of good movies to redo so they started scraping the bottom of the barrel. Well it will never get so bad that someone will make a short circut remake...... oh wait.

Yeah - Starship troopers is excellent as is. What could you possibly want "remade" in that?? :)

You know - what they really need to do instead of remaking is just BRING THE OLD MOVIES BACK TO THE THEATER.

I mean - seriously- it would be cheaper for the studios and easier on us.

And who wouldn't go see Alien in the theater again, just for kicks? Heck - Lucas did it with the original Star Wars trilogy and it was good fun.

Remaking a movie makes sense only if the director has a really new and interesting twist or the visual effects technology warrants it...

But it's a tough call ...

VFTF1

Remake of Red Dawn? Nah, it's pretty much Cold War fare; doesn't need to be remade, nor should it. Yeah, I like Red Dawn--there, I said it. True, there were some flaws that definitely add to the movie's cheese-factor today: the heart-on-their-sleeve sentimentality; the melodromatic, uber-stoicism from the teenage "heroes" [C. Thomas Howell's "standoff" with the Russian gunship is one real groaner that comes to mind]; Ron O'Neal's strained Spanish--but that being said, it was still the brat-pack at their grittiest and best.

Oddly enough, one of the reasons I liked the movie was because I always thought a lot of aspects of the pyrotechnics/SFX were much more realistic than other war movies of the time [or since].

from imdb.com: "The film's replica Russian T-72 tank was so precise that when it was transported to the studio, two CIA agents followed and wanted to know where it had come from."

Once again... faithfulness to the source material would be nice.

Yeah, agree with you there.

It's sad when people don't know anything about Heinlein's original "Starship Troopers" novel, since it pretty much started the whole "powered suit" thing in science fiction. This is Macross World, for crying out loud!

I think Verhoeven's film is an entertaining spoof of the novel, as well as an interesting mind-frak for American audiences ("WE are the Nazis...") Unfortunately, that pretty much went right over the heads of 99% of American viewers. I can understand why he hated the original novel -- the book IS an extreme right-wing, libertarian polemic. What is strange though is to have the movie be a _stealth_ spoof, posing as a straight adaptation. Heinlein was probably rolling in his grave...

There is definitely room for a more faithful remake, with the powered armor. They would unfortunately probably make it all CGI now, but with mo-cap it might still look good.

Guest sh002

i wouldn't mind a remake robocop similar in storyline to the original with all the violence intact, stop-animation removed, better visual effects and cg, and a semi-updated robocop design.

Yeah, agree with you there.

It's sad when people don't know anything about Heinlein's original "Starship Troopers" novel, since it pretty much started the whole "powered suit" thing in science fiction. This is Macross World, for crying out loud!

I think Verhoeven's film is an entertaining spoof of the novel, as well as an interesting mind-frak for American audiences ("WE are the Nazis...") Unfortunately, that pretty much went right over the heads of 99% of American viewers. I can understand why he hated the original novel -- the book IS an extreme right-wing, libertarian polemic. What is strange though is to have the movie be a _stealth_ spoof, posing as a straight adaptation. Heinlein was probably rolling in his grave...

There is definitely room for a more faithful remake, with the powered armor. They would unfortunately probably make it all CGI now, but with mo-cap it might still look good.

I remember when it first came out, and the LA Times had an article which said, "But the question everyone's asking is: how are the bugs???" and I thought, "No, I want to know how the powered suits are!" Of course, they were non-existant in the movie...

But I think the big problem with doing a straight adaptation is that the novel actually had IDEAS in it...and that appears to be something no Hollywood movie can afford to have.

I do enjoy the first Starship Troopers... but a more faithful rendition of Starship Troopers would work. Most of the exposition and sociopolitical stuff in the book would be dead weight, but a movie based around the power armor with the same general plot and showing some good small unit tactics of the MI would be nice.

I remember when it first came out, and the LA Times had an article which said, "But the question everyone's asking is: how are the bugs???" and I thought, "No, I want to know how the powered suits are!" Of course, they were non-existant in the movie...

But I think the big problem with doing a straight adaptation is that the novel actually had IDEAS in it...and that appears to be something no Hollywood movie can afford to have.

Then I guess you don't even want to know about the other movie...

Then I guess you don't even want to know about the other movie...

Other movie...? Do you mean the straight-to-video ST 2? If so...yeah, I know absolutely nothing about it except the fact that it exists. I need the brain storage space for other, more important things...like the first sentence of every book by James Joyce.

Edited by Gubaba

You'd be surprised how many Germans feel that they were unfairly and unjustly injured as a result of WWII :) There's a marginal albeit sufficiently large-to-be-important popular movement in Germany now for the acknowledgement of German victimhood as a result of the forced removal of Germans from Poland's western lands in 1945.

The sad thing is - technically they are right. The forced removal and repression of the German minority in Poland after WWII was no better than what the NAZIs did to other people :(...

Except that millions of civillian germans weren't interred, then randomly executed during their removal from Poland.

My point is that the fact that we feel like we "need" to find som stereotypical villain to be put into a movie is the terrible result of most of the trash holywood feeds us.

The sad truth is that in war, no side is ever 100% right, and even if one side is theoretically superior (for instance "believes" in better stuff like freedom or democracy or whatever), then war forces all sides to basically become the same: organized mass killing machines :(

Chances are the side that isn't "ethnically clensing" is more right in a war.

Red Dawn? Good......we need a good 80s propaganda film to stir up a little patriotism from the masses once in a while. I'm tired of all these Michael Moore/Stephen King anti-America bs movies. Hooooooah!

Why do we need propaganda movies at all? Why can't we have honest, truthful, nuanced films instead...?

Sorry, I'll shut up now. :p

I want to see a remake of FLASH GORDON!11!!

Recycle Queen's title theme of the older movie also!

Why does Robocop need to be redone? The first one was great, though the sequels sucked hard.

Red Dawn? That movie is a product of the 80s and the Cold War, a theme alot of the younger crowd have no connection with: Nuclear Fallout shelters, sirens blaring, drills (like ducking under a schooldesk will help), Big Bad Soviet Union, threat of Nuclear War, etc. Everyone was afraid of the possibility of WWIII, conventional or nuclear. I lived in and went to school in San Francisco in the 80s. With the military bases all around the Bay Area, EVERYONE knew that if WWIII kicked off, we'd get a couple dozen nukes coming our way courtesy of the Reds "just to be sure."

The younger crowd again just won't connect with it and that nagging fear somewhere in our minds we all had back then of the possibility of WWIII. Heck, I came across a young girl in Best Buy looking at that Age of Conan MMO package. She didn't even know what I was talking about with Schwarzenneger doing the Conan movies in the early 80s.

I had fun viewing Red Dawn back then. It had cheese, but it was good for what it was in the 80s. I don't see a good remake of this without screwing over the theme of the 80s version with today's Hollywood ideals.

Edited by Warmaker

• 1 month later...

I just read something on Wikipedia about a live action version of Akira...

It will be set in Neo-Manhattan and will be produced by and possibly starring (as Kaneda) Leonardo DiCaprio *shudder*

Why did they have to do this???

Edited by Bowen

Original robocop was perfect, robocop 2 was decent, robocop 3 sucked ass

I actually hated how they just forgot about robocop's pain for becoming a robot and loosin his family, and killing Lewis on the 3rd was incredibly cheesy, anyway, they can't remake this, they're going to butcher one of my favorite childhood memories, they should just make a re-release adding extra scenes and CGI instead of the stop-motion (although, it was incredibly cool)

ugg...MGM remake?? ORION ruled!!!

I just read something on Wikipedia about a live action version of Akira...

It will be set in Neo-Manhattan and will be produced by and possibly starring (as Kaneda) Leonardo DiCaprio *shudder*

Why did they have to do this???

That "rumor" is was circulating early last year... i dont think it should be paid any heed... even the wikipedia entry is listed as november 07.

besides i think i'd rather suffer a total protonic reversal than watch Akira get murdered by hollywood. :p