Season 1, yes. Season 2, no. But definitely underrated. I think a lot of the bad press the show received was from disgruntled Trek fans who always saw it as a rip-off.

Taksraven

Season 1 is and will always be the best of the series. When they killed off Bergman, Morrow, Kano, and countless others from the first season they seriously undermined the show, not to mention the way over the top cheese of the second season.

Season 1 is and will always be the best of the series. When they killed off Bergman, Morrow, Kano, and countless others from the first season they seriously undermined the show, not to mention the way over the top cheese of the second season.

Absolutely correct. AND they stuffed up the theme music big time...

Taksraven

• 1 month later...
Not sure if this has been posted already...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMsZM-MNI1A&feature=fvw

Hmm.

Where. Do. I. BEGINNN???

Well, it can't be worse than Karate Kit 3 and *barf* 4.

So we actually get a kid this time and I don't know why (maybe because I didn't recognize him) but Jackie Chan looks like a very good cast for the part.

I'm almost physically sick watching that trailer...

It's going to be beyond terrible...

While I haven't watched the trailer yet (I have it loaded but can't quite bring myself to hit play) I'm unsure of the casting decisions. Jackie Chan I can buy, but Will Smith's kid? That's too young to bring the romance between Daniel-san and his kinda-sorta-maybe-wouldbe-girlfriend into the mix, and that's part of what made that movie so good. Watching him stumble and fall, pick himself back up and try again.

... dammit, now I have to go watch it again. I blame all of you for this! ^_^

EDIT: Now that I've forced myself to watch the trailer, I can virtually ensure that I won't be seeing the film itself. Kid-ifying the main role just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. The only possible way of salvaging this movie is they somehow are able to copy the father/son relationship Mr. Myagi had with Daniel. I'm not holding my breath, though.

Edited by CoryHolmes

I know. I cannot get past the title. There is no Karate in any way shape or form in that trailer. It's like having "Terminator" without the Terminators, "Aliens" without the aliens...

However, it probably wouldn't have any problems when released in Japan -- The original "Karate Kid" was titled "Best Kid" over here (and Best Kid 2, 3, etc). It's like they saw the film, said "I dunno what that was, but it ain't Karate", so they changed it. I'm just waiting for them to go with the original "KK" title kept in for this one in a totally bizarre twist. Cos that's just how it's done over here, the more nonsensical, the better.

Edited by Renato

You know, actually I liked the trailer because it doesn't really feel like a remake of Karate Kid in the same way that Battlestar Galactica didn't feel like an old Galactica remake. Somebody took the same basic idea, ran with it, and got something different but similar from it, only that they couldn't totally separate it from the original without being called a rip-off or due to legal action. Whether it will be good or bad, who knows, but at least it's not a straight up remake.

Hell, and someone who knows better legalese culture correct me if I'm wrong, maybe they cannot legally call it something other than 'Karate Kid' because of the original story licencing issues and that's why they're running with it when calling the movie 'Kung Fu Kid' or so makes so much more sense, both on the thematic and marketing departments. Maybe even more sense in the marketing department due to the success of 'Kung Fu Panda' - when was the last time you heard 'Karate' attached to something catchy and awesome in the mass media?

I do hope that when it hits China it will get properly renamed. Otherwise, Columbia Pictures can kiss its web assets goodbye.

You know, actually I liked the trailer because it doesn't really feel like a remake of Karate Kid in the same way that Battlestar Galactica didn't feel like an old Galactica remake. Somebody took the same basic idea, ran with it, and got something different but similar from it, only that they couldn't totally separate it from the original without being called a rip-off or due to legal action. Whether it will be good or bad, who knows, but at least it's not a straight up remake.

Hell, and someone who knows better legalese culture correct me if I'm wrong, maybe they cannot legally call it something other than 'Karate Kid' because of the original story licencing issues and that's why they're running with it when calling the movie 'Kung Fu Kid' or so makes so much more sense, both on the thematic and marketing departments. Maybe even more sense in the marketing department due to the success of 'Kung Fu Panda' - when was the last time you heard 'Karate' attached to something catchy and awesome in the mass media?

I do hope that when it hits China it will get properly renamed. Otherwise, Columbia Pictures can kiss its web assets goodbye.

I could think of a few choice names to rename all of the silly films in this franchise, but its crap anyway.

I think keeping the original name is more about not confusing the audience as to what they are seeing. (Audiences are stupid, a studio exec told me that once)

Taksraven

what surprises me the most is that Jackie Chan accepted to do this film about Kung Fu named "Karate" kid, seriously

but knowing how hollywood is, they probably told him it was named something else, seriously, what the f*ck is wrong with this hollywood writers/producers, is like the saying the The Great Wall of China is in Berlin...

what surprises me the most is that Jackie Chan accepted to do this film about Kung Fu named "Karate" kid, seriously

I'm sure the 7,8 digit numbered check he received for this movie removed any misgivings he might have had...

I am also money surprised that Jackie money Chan money accepted money money to do money this film. money

Taksmoneyraven

but knowing how hollywood is, they probably told him it was named something else, seriously, what the f*ck is wrong with this hollywood writers/producers, is like the saying the The Great Wall of China is in Berlin...

Hollywood hasn't caught up with the times yet. Hollywood still thinks that the majority of people think that karate and kung fu are the same thing. It's sorta like when they cast David Carradine to play a shaolin monk........"Oh, they can't tell the difference.....stupid masses".

The title seriously needs to be changed....if it wasn't for the stupid title, it might even have been an okay movie.

Edited by peter

Hollywood hasn't caught up with the times yet. Hollywood still thinks that the majority of people think that karate and kung fu are the same thing. It's sorta like when they cast David Carradine to play a shaolin monk........"Oh, they can't tell the difference.....stupid masses".

The title seriously needs to be changed....if it wasn't for the stupid title, it might even have been an okay movie.

I think you give hollywood far too much credit, implying that they can tell the difference between anyone living in asia from another, let alone being able to distinguish between marshall arts. This is the same hollywood that gave us "Memoirs of a Concubine," as they should have called it...

Edited by Keith

I think you give hollywood far too much credit, implying that they can tell the difference between anyone living in asia from another, let alone being able to distinguish between marshall arts. This is the same hollywood that gave us "Memoirs of a Conqubine," as they should have called it...

or that every asian seems to know martial arts. Look at zulu in the new star trek samurai sword and everything.

or that every asian seems to know martial arts. Look at zulu in the new star trek samurai sword and everything.

When will Hollywood learn that the true secret about Asia, is that every ex-motorcycle gang member turned unconventional teacher, will stand and deliver!

THAT issue will be solved within the next few years. There are ZERO asians that hold MMA titles or even really compete. They really don't care and now the world sees that.

Not sure if this has been posted already...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMsZM-MNI1A&feature=fvw

Hmm.

Where. Do. I. BEGINNN???

No sh*t where do you begin. Let me take a stab.

How the hell, no how the f*ck do you base a movie about karate in the country where GUNG FU originated???!!! I mean, karate is supposed to be Japanese, isn't it???!!!

That's all we need, giving more money to the f*cking Chi-coms. :angry:

God, that trailer was so damned bad I bailed right when the Miagi clone showed his freaking face.

When will Hollywood learn that the true secret about Asia, is that every ex-motorcycle gang member turned unconventional teacher, will stand and deliver!

:lol:

Just imagine Hollywood taking on Great Teacher Onizuka...

Shivers...

Wait a minute, didn't Fonzy become a teacher towards the end of Happy Days? Hmm...

Only know Happy Days by reputation but I suppose it qualifies....

Let's hope they gon't any remake ideas with than one!

No sh*t where do you begin. Let me take a stab.

How the hell, no how the f*ck do you base a movie about karate in the country where GUNG FU originated???!!! I mean, karate is supposed to be Japanese, isn't it???!!!

That's all we need, giving more money to the f*cking Chi-coms. :angry:

God, that trailer was so damned bad I bailed right when the Miagi clone showed his freaking face.

Kung fu originated in India.

I always though Gung Fu was Chineese, and was originated by the Shaolin Monks of Tibet.

Nope, an Indian Buddhist monk traveled to a shaolin temple and "created" it there using traditional indian martial arts.

Besides, despite the goju school emblem on daniel-san's gi, I wouldn't call what he was doing "karate" either.