Does Macross need a retcon?

Temucano

I mean, SDF Macross and its sequels are placed in our century. For example, the zentradi will arrive next year and Planet Eden will be discovered and inhabited in 2013. Our technology can´t do that at this time. Obviously, it´s just an anime, but I just was thinking about it.

Edited by Temucano

Not really. Is it so difficult to think of it as a fictional setting in a world like, but not identical to our own? That's kinda like saying classic sci-fi works like Jules Vern's books ought to be rewritten. Clearly, aliens did not invade in the 1800's. Sure, Hollywood might think it's a great idea, but Hollywood is also kinda stupid like that.

Well, our real world technology didn't have the enormous boost that reverse engineering and repairing an alien super dimensional fortress gave to the Macross universe technology, you know. So, you don't really need the retcon because all of that is explained by the acquisition of Overtechnology.

Actually, hadn't the Macross fell on 1999, the Macross universe and our universe would have ended up being pretty much the same thing. Except that they would have had Nyan Nyan, making their universe ten thousand times more awesome.

No, because it's not the time line that's important, it's the event of the Alien StarShip-1 landing on the planet. It doesn't matter when the alien ships crashes, only that it does and that OverTechnology from that ship is introduced to humanity. Our technology couldn't accomplish what they do in Macross anyway, not even with a hundred more years development, so it doesn't really matter either way.

Actually, hadn't the Macross fell on 1999, the Macross universe and our universe would have ended up being pretty much the same thing.

Had the Macross fallen in 1999 then the World`s media outlets would suddenly be very interested in an old Japanese cartoon that predicted the whole thing.

Well - hold on a minute guys :)

Look - in SDF Macross TV you had vending machine robots on wheels but NO cell phones!

Hikaru and Minmey could never pursue their budding romance because, unlike Alto and Ranka, they couldn't just text message one another.

If Minmey had been able to text message Hikaru "hey baby! Got you VIP seat at the premiere of Shao Pai Lon! Really really want you to be there! Kisses Minmey" then Hikaru would not have ended up grabbing Misa's butt and continuing to fall in love with her.

Likewise, there are plenty of sci-fi or "future" novels which show the US and Soviet Union "finally" cooperating for the good of mankind.

I think it's fun when "future" novels get so much stuff wrong. I don't advocate retconing - but I do advocate thinking about it :)

After all - I'm sure that in 20 years, there will be technological gizmos that will make us go "now if only Alto had one of those then..."

VFTF1

Yeah who cares. Just think of it as a parralal universe to our own.

If there was a remake or alive action movie being made, perhaps it would make sense to put the crash of the ASS-1 further in time, but as far the already existing universe goes, no need for any retcon IMO

-Sergorn

Yeah who cares. Just think of it as a parralal universe to our own.

If there was a remake or alive action movie being made, perhaps it would make sense to put the crash of the ASS-1 further in time, but as far the already existing universe goes, no need for any retcon IMO

-Sergorn

crash of the ASS-1? :blink:

Becore being christened Macross, the Macross was named "Alien Space Ship 1", hence... ASS-1 :lol:

It's actually refered like this a couple of times in Macross Zero.

-Sergorn

Bah, SDF all the way. :p It's actually funny because the abbreviation for the Louisville airport (I live in Lexington, KY.) is SDF :lol:

Azreal wrote:

I think some people need to separate fiction from reality. Seriously.

Agreed. For instance this guy wrote:

Well, our real world technology didn't have the enormous boost that reverse engineering and repairing an alien super dimensional fortress gave to the Macross universe technology, you know. So, you don't really need the retcon because all of that is explained by the acquisition of Overtechnology.

Now come on! Everyone knows that modern technology was reverse engineered from Megatron! duh!

;)

VFTF1

I figured that this is what the "Time-Space event in 1995" that appeared on the Frontier promos was all about. It was just their way of saying that the Macross timeline diverged from the real world timeline at that point, most likely to the political climate that lead to arming the UN and the Unification Wars. And of course, in 1995, cell phones weren't very prominent either.

Now come on! Everyone knows that modern technology was reverse engineered from Megatron! duh!

And they were able to do it without ever taking anything apart!

Azreal wrote:

Agreed. For instance this guy wrote:

;)

VFTF1

actually, that whole megatron joke was a play (or a swipe) on the whole, "all our modern technology has been reverse engineered from the alien crash at roswell" theory.

actually, that whole megatron joke was a play (or a swipe) on the whole, "all our modern technology has been reverse engineered from the alien crash at roswell" theory.

Yeah - and I can't believe people out there actually believe that an alien rocket that crashedat roswell is the source of modern technology, when in fact it's been obvious for those of us with brains that it all came from Megatron. Thank God for Micheal Bay finally bringing truth to all people.

Speaking of mixing reality with fiction... it would be utterly cool if Yoshi Fukuyama went on a world tour for peace and good will with his music. That would rock!

VFTF1

I figured that this is what the "Time-Space event in 1995" that appeared on the Frontier promos was all about. It was just their way of saying that the Macross timeline diverged from the real world timeline at that point,

Yeah that's how I interpreted that as well.

-Sergorn

Haha all I know is, if there's a comet next year, which is what the government will call it, I will be there packed and ready to go :)

Plus, it's believed that the world "as we know it" will end on december 21st 2012. Coincidence? I think not.

Edited by Exsedol

Had the Macross fallen in 1999 then the World`s media outlets would suddenly be very interested in an old Japanese cartoon that predicted the whole thing.

Actually that was a very busy time. We had the Macross falling to Earth in 1999. We had the moon blasting out of orbit on September 13, 1999. We also had to deal with Second Impact when it took place on September 13, 2000. We also had the discovery of TMA-1 on the Moon and the Discovery mission to Jupiter/Saturn around the same time.

Now all we have to look forward to is the arrival of the Zentradi and Jupiter turning into a star. Oh, and Third Impact as well.

No, Macross does not need a retcon. A retcon is what comic book writers use when they are feeling lazy.

Taksraven

It would be interesting if the events of Macross happened but it is fiction so there is no need to worry if it matchs up with reality. I mean I was watching Dogfight and they were talking about future scenrios and when they got to "space warfare" it seemed dull when you take away the sci fi element.

Actually that was a very busy time. We had the Macross falling to Earth in 1999. We had the moon blasting out of orbit on September 13, 1999. We also had to deal with Second Impact when it took place on September 13, 2000. We also had the discovery of TMA-1 on the Moon and the Discovery mission to Jupiter/Saturn around the same time.

Now all we have to look forward to is the arrival of the Zentradi and Jupiter turning into a star. Oh, and Third Impact as well.

No, Macross does not need a retcon. A retcon is what comic book writers use when they are feeling lazy.

Taksraven

hahaha. actually yeah, the earth would be pretty devastated by now, if you add in all the big sci fi events that was supposed to happen by 1999 onwards. :)

When 1999 came, i was actually thinking, "what if something came crashing down from space on this year? wow, macross fanboys unite!" :lol:

but as regards retcon.... absolutely no need. the essence of a great sci-fi story is that it is timeless, and we must always remember... that it is SCI FI, not real life. no need to justify it with divergent timelines or other justifications. ultimately, it's just a story. but truly a terrific and amazing story, at that. so i can't really blame anyone (myself included) for looking up at the sky every now and then in 1999 for a streak of light coming from the heavens. ;)

(side note: technology has developed quite slower than sci fi predicted, don't you think? for example, cars should already be flying by 2015 (back to the future). i sure don't see that coming. :p)

as for cellphones.. haha, can you imagine ALL the movies and series that would lose their conflict/climax if the mobile phone was introduced into the plot line? "Oh No! She's headed for the airport! i have to rush there and tell her i love her before she leaves, or else my life will be over........ oh wait, i'll just text her. there, i'll see her tomorrow." :D

But if people really want justification for there being no mobile phones in SDF-1, well... with all the construction technology the macross citizens were so adept at, it just so happened that not a single one of them had any idea how to put up a celsite/cel tower. so long celphones. :p

Maybe the ASS-1 did crash in 1999, but not with all the dramatic events that happened with it. All of the world governments decided to keep it secret while rebuilding it. The Zentraedi could still be coming next year!

Nope, they will come in 2012. Speaking of which, Protoculture seems to be related w with the Annuaki from Sumerrian myth ^_^

And they were able to do it without ever taking anything apart!

but they did! in fact when they found megatron, he could actually transform into a pistol. a pistol!! how cool is that?? now with all the tinkering they did to megatron, all he could transform into is a measly jet fighter? boooo!! grumble grumble. :p

Edited by dreamweaver13

Oh, for that you have Jack McKinney...

:o ok, did i just say that?? shoot me now. :ph34r:

You Homotech Terrorist!!! :angry:

EAT THIS:

4qrk3m.gif

AND THIS:

frontier13ek5.gif

OR MAYBE THIS:

boom22fey8.gif

Feel the pain!!! :ph34r:

:p

Edited by grss1982

No need for retcon. But I could use a novel that cover the first space war plus several stuff not covered in the original TV series.

Well, there's the trilogy of Japanese novels (plus one for DYRL) that are in need of translating... ;)

And for the question posed by the first post, my feeling is that if they didn't retcon the crash of the ASS-1 for Macross Zero, then clearly the Hory Froating Head will not change his Hory Froating Mind about this.

Fine by me...1999 was a pretty sucky year for me; an alien space ship just adds that little sparkle of awesomeness it so desperately needed.