MacF Feature in "Animation Note" magazine

Renato

The Kabuto Vajra is intimidating looks like it could rival the Monster on dealing out the damage.

Indeed... Most of the designs from Junya Ishikagi look great. I hope they are used eventually... :ph34r:

Vajra Regult?! O_O DO WANT! Bandai, please make models of these, k, thanks.

Looks like the Vajra are controlled by pilots afterall.. The uniform looks very similar to the "shape" of the energy spike within one of them in Episode 5, where Ranka was singing "'Bout My Star"(?).

I was about to say that!!! I re-watched the episode and it looks a lot like it. Maybe the Ex-gears were created from "an specimen" of whoever is controlling the Vajra... :ph34r: (Remember... NUNS knows about them since 2040...). Maybe the Vajra are controlled with fold transmission from very very far by someone using a suit like those... :blink:

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

Thanks for these Renato! However, you do realize you're scanning some of these upside down right? :)

And yeah I rushed the scans so some are wonky or upside-down. I don't really have the time, so if you could fix them yourselves...

Even despite some of these may be preproduction sketches, I am glad to know there are further Vajra types. After episode 7 Vajras look less menacing that they were at the beginning.

FV

Thats one criticism that I did have of Episode 7, the Vajra seemed to be nowhere near as deadly as they have been in the past.

Taksraven

Thats one criticism that I did have of Episode 7, the Vajra seemed to be nowhere near as deadly as they have been in the past.

Taksraven

Because in the past the fleet wasn't prepared for them... (and didn't use reaction weapons, the Monster or Macross Quarter before). As mighty as the Vajra are, they are not indestructible or invincible. B))

(Actually I still found the little S.O.B. Vajra units as deadly as ever... just look how one managed to destroy Alto's VF with its last dying breath... stabbing it with its tail...).

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

I didn’t get the feeling that the Vajra were any less deadly in episode 7, just that SMS used better tactics and equipment.

As far back as episode 1, it’s been show that the small yellow Vajra are vulnerable to VF-25 gunpod fire. It’s only the larger red guys that seem relatively invulnerable to gunpod fire and micro-missiles. We’ve already seen from episodes 2 and 3 that Michael’s sniper rifle is powerful enough to penetrate a Red Vajra’s energy-conversion armour with ease.

In episode 7, we see the small yellow Vajra taken out by gunpod fire from Alto & Ozma and mass micro missiles from Ozma, which is consistent.

We see red Vajra taken out by Michael’s sniper rifle, again consistent.

We also see multiple Vajra destroyed by the fire from the Konig Monster, which is not surprising given the power of the VB-6's weapons.

The red Vajra’s energy-conversion armor is tough, but not invulnerable. The yellow Vajra, while fast and deadly are not nearly so tough.

Graham

It's handwavium Graham, nothing more. Michel's rifle didn't kill the yellow one that was chasing down Alto in the beginning and it only "killed" the red one because it was a "head shot" handwavium hax.

I'd buy the "different tatics" argument if the red one in the city wasn't killed of with a hax "laxor knife" via Gundam. :rolleyes:

The 'enemy' is only as tough as the plot needs it to be. (aka Plot Armor)

I didn’t get the feeling that the Vajra were any less deadly in episode 7, just that SMS used better tactics and equipment.

As far back as episode 1, it’s been show that the small yellow Vajra are vulnerable to VF-25 gunpod fire. It’s only the larger red guys that seem relatively invulnerable to gunpod fire and micro-missiles. We’ve already seen from episodes 2 and 3 that Michael’s sniper rifle is powerful enough to penetrate a Red Vajra’s energy-conversion armour with ease.

In episode 7, we see the small yellow Vajra taken out by gunpod fire from Alto & Ozma and mass micro missiles from Ozma, which is consistent.

We also see multiple Vajra destroyed by the fire from the Konig Monster, which is not surprising given the power of the VB-6's weapons.

The red Vajra’s energy-conversion armor is tough, but not invulnerable. The yellow Vajra, while fast and deadly are not nearly so tough.

Graham

I completely agree...

The yellow ones seem to compensate the lack of the red's powerful armor with speed. I wonder what other types will be shown in the upcoming episodes??? :ph34r:

Graham

Except one of the red lobster is blown away by Alto, again in point blank range using his gunpod.

Because in the past the fleet wasn't prepared for them... (and didn't use reaction weapons, the Monster or Macross Quarter before). As mighty as the Vajra are, they are not indestructible or invincible. B))

(Actually I still found the little S.O.B. Vajra units as deadly as ever... just look how one managed to destroy Alto's VF with its last dying breath... stabbing it with its tail...).

Yes, but as was pointed out by someone else, the Vajra did seem to have some sort of "anti-missile" flak (the tentacle defence pods)that they used in episode one that seemed to be strangely absent from episode 7. The red Vajra that captured Luca did seem to use the same sort of ectoplasm to grab his fighter and cart it away. Looked like Spidey the way he did it. (Surprised that I have seen no other comments on this new ability.)

I still think that overall the Vajra threat did not seem to be as great in this episode. Their mothership folded in, blasted one capital ship with its main gun, sat there doing nothing for ten minutes and then used the main gun to take out an asteroid. (If it takes that long to charge their big gun they have real problems.)

Compared to episode one when the red vajra used its big gun in rapid succession in a few minutes to take out a capital ship, blast a hole in the colony ships dome and then take out a bunch of tanks.

I think in episode 7 what we needed was more shots of cannon fodder getting trashed (I only saw one SMS destroid blow up) to make the battle seem more realistic. (I doubt that they only lost one VF-25).

If they want to downgrade the threat of the Vajra that is fair enough, but they need to introduce a new threat to replace them (yes, I know that the vf-27 and its supporting forces will probably fill that role.)

I know that the Vajra is not invincible, but neither is the SMS.

Taksraven

Yes, but as was pointed out by someone else, the Vajra did seem to have some sort of "anti-missile" flak (the tentacle defence pods)that they used in episode one that seemed to be strangely absent from episode 7. The red Vajra that captured Luca did seem to use the same sort of ectoplasm to grab his fighter and cart it away. Looked like Spidey the way he did it. (Surprised that I have seen no other comments on this new ability.)

I still think that overall the Vajra threat did not seem to be as great in this episode. Their mothership folded in, blasted one capital ship with its main gun, sat there doing nothing for ten minutes and then used the main gun to take out an asteroid. (If it takes that long to charge their big gun they have real problems.)

Compared to episode one when the red vajra used its big gun in rapid succession in a few minutes to take out a capital ship, blast a hole in the colony ships dome and then take out a bunch of tanks.

I think in episode 7 what we needed was more shots of cannon fodder getting trashed (I only saw one SMS destroid blow up) to make the battle seem more realistic. (I doubt that they only lost one VF-25).

If they want to downgrade the threat of the Vajra that is fair enough, but they need to introduce a new threat to replace them (yes, I know that the vf-27 and its supporting forces will probably fill that role.)

I know that the Vajra is not invincible, but neither is the SMS.

Taksraven

Don't forget that they were blind sided by SMS. The Monster's blast most likely helped in this as well because it cleared a massive amount of area.

It seems to me that they might be trying to avoid what they did in Macross 7 where every cannon fodder VF-11 shown on screen had about 11 second before it was either blown up, or had it's pilots spiritia sucked out.

It's handwavium Graham, nothing more. Michel's rifle didn't kill the yellow one that was chasing down Alto in the beginning and it only "killed" the red one because it was a "head shot" handwavium hax.

Maybe authors will state Michel's rifle can hit with adjustable strength, to avoid too much collateral damage after piercing the enemy. Following this reasoning, he just set the strength to low initially. Who knows, maybe he could have even a super shot using up all the energy in his weapon.

Although there is always some kind of truth in liberties taken for dramatic effect, Macross Frontier so far hasn't stretched to the point of implausible. When I said Vajra were looking less menacing, I didn't mean less deadly. It is just a matter of morale. Undoubtly there are a lot of sound considerations that explain the differences perceived between initial and present outcomes, which also include amount of footage of VF-171s.

A consideration nobody had is also that Vajra were already fighting Galaxy for days, so even though they were winning they were a bit weary. Probably this could be why they didn't have any chaff left.

FV

A consideration nobody had is also that Vajra were already fighting Galaxy for days, so even though they were winning they were a bit weary. Probably this could be why they didn't have any chaff left.

FV

It makes sense... since they regenerate all their ammo, they must need more time to replenish it after a long battle... :ph34r:

I'm becoming more and more a fan of the Vajregult... I like the design a lot... Hope we see something like it in the upcoming episodes... ^_^

post-7862-1211446334_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

Except one of the red lobster is blown away by Alto, again in point blank range using his gunpod.

I suspect that even with their high efficiency energy converting armour, the Red Vajra may still have some week spots where they are vulneable to gunpod fire.

IIRC, in episode 1 or 2, don't we see the Red Vajra shielding itself with its forerms to protect itself against gunpod fire.

Perhaps Alto just got lucky with his point blank gunpod fire, or SMS are starting to get a better idea about which specific areas on the red Vajra to target. Obviously, it's easier to hit a small target the closer you are to it.

Graham

FV

Probably very likely. While it's been stated that they can regenerate the chaff or missiles, I'd imagine it does take time.

Graham

Taksraven

What? One of the deck-destroid is trashed? How can I missed that one? Screenshot please ^_^

Wasn't it only the red one we saw using the anti-missle "organic flares" in the first episode?

no, the small varja also have that anti missile organic system, where it uses it to defend against sms missile attack from gillian.

I beg to differ. All the hammerheads Michel hit in the first 2 episodes either were destroyed immediately or sparked and sputtered a bit and then exploded.

If you have visual proof of one being hit and not eventually blowing up I'd like to see it or give an episode number with a time stamp...

The Lobsters were much more resilient and I believe that is in part due to the ECA as well as the possiblity that the Hammerheads are actually mecha akin to the type the Zentreadi used, but far more advanced.

Every hit the Hammerheads took from the sniper rifle carried with it a distinctive "clang" or metallic sound, unlike the Lobsters, which we know to be an organic life form.

I beg to differ. All the hammerheads Michel hit in the first 2 episodes either were destroyed immediately or sparked and sputtered a bit and then exploded.

If you have visual proof of one being hit and not eventually blowing up I'd like to see it or give an episode number with a time stamp...

Episode 2, around 5:04. Actually though there is no proof it didn't explode off screen, and anyway it was clearly disabled.

The Lobsters were much more resilient and I believe that is in part due to the ECA as well as the possiblity that the Hammerheads are actually mecha akin to the type the Zentreadi used, but far more advanced.

Every hit the Hammerheads took from the sniper rifle carried with it a distinctive "clang" or metallic sound, unlike the Lobsters, which we know to be an organic life form.

I think the small Vajra are basically the same of large Vajra. Probably they only lack the ability to fold without assistance. Yes, they are likely to have ECA, there is no reason they shouldn't. The large ones are more resilient most of all because they are bigger, it's like the difference in armor between Monsters and Valkyries.

I think that it is simply due to CG it wasn't possible to show the large Vajra being somewhat damaged. Bloopers must be counted in when someone try to extrapolate informations. You heard a metallic sound. What if later we discover the sniper rifle is not a ballistic weapon and thus it wasn't possible it made a metallic sound? :rolleyes:

FV

Ah, but their bloody, lifeless husks littered the floor of the Vajra ship, evidence of Brera's handiwork.

Ah, but their bloody, lifeless husks littered the floor of the Vajra ship, evidence of Brera's handiwork.

True. Yet we know that Sara piloted the AFOS and it had blood... However, we only know that the Lobsters aren't piloted but remotely controlled, we are still waiting on the Hammerheads...