IGN Reviews Frontier

Sorata

The show deserves credit for coming up with a rationale as far as why the main character looks so thoroughly girly – he descends, it turns out, from a line of cross-dressing kabuki actors – but still, it's not what you'd call a subtle character concept.

Favorite line of the review. I think it is dynamic that Alto is part of an extremely old tradition, but they also say it is for the ladies :rolleyes:

Favorite line of the review. I think it is dynamic that Alto is part of an extremely old tradition, but they also say it is for the ladies :rolleyes:

And, of course, they totally miss that the show is actively mocking the angsty prettyboy stereotype.

They also get Ozma and Ranka's relationship wrong - kind of - but it can probably be forgiven since they didn't want to dwell on the back story too much...

All in all it's a kind review; although short and sort of...err...lacking in meat.

VFTF1

Yep but it will bring more attention to the series states side.

Exactly right, this type of exposure is what Frontier really needs to improve it's chances of making it outside Japan. I haven't checked the News thread but if you haven't already, should definetly post it there, thanks for the link! ^_^

Heh :) I guess since I live in Poland where NOTHING interesting ever makes it on TV (and therefore I just don't watch TV), I'm used to just downloading everything that I wanna watch - so I don't even think in categories of "well I hope this makes it out of Japan" :)

VFTF1

Not much of a review and less than flattering, but at least people are talking about Macross Frontier and it's making news.

First, the incredibly obvious – this show must have cost a fortune. Macross Frontier looks gorgeous

Yes, I see what you mean. ;)

Take it in context as a whole, you trouble maker :)

LOL, seriously, though, I thought it was a pretty decent review. Its almost more of a preview, really, sounds like he's only seen the first two episodes, and we only seven episodes in as it is. We'll see what people say when its all said and done.

I guess not because they wrote that Ranka is Ozma's daughter ...

Figures. :rolleyes: Fanboys who only THINK they're fanboys. When will people stop pretending that they know everything? It's like everyone these days wants to be THE BEST and prove that they are SO AWESOME. Sorry, it just bothers me.

LOL, seriously, though, I thought it was a pretty decent review. Its almost more of a preview, really, sounds like he's only seen the first two episodes, and we only seven episodes in as it is. We'll see what people say when its all said and done.

It was okay and comparing it to the rest of the previews (I agree, much better term) I suppose Frontier is given the same treatment. I just hope the response becomes more enthusiastic than this because Macross Frontier doesn't deserve anything less, IMO. There's always the possibility Kawamori and Co. may screw it up in the end, but in my mind, right now this show is firing on all cylinders.

They also get Ozma and Ranka's relationship wrong - kind of - but it can probably be forgiven since they didn't want to dwell on the back story too much...

All in all it's a kind review; although short and sort of...err...lacking in meat.

VFTF1

As compared to the Protoculture Addicts Macross 7 The Galaxy is Calling Me Review (way back in Protoculture Addicts issue 50). Which said Emeria was related to Veffidas instead of being Mylene's sister?

I can see how they'd get the daughter thing... essentially Lanka is Ozma's adopted daughter, he's her guardian and all... in the same relationship context she could just as easily used Uncle or Father... but because of the age she was adopted at and the age difference, big brother is probably the best one for her to use.