A 1:72 Scale Aircraft carrier for Valkyries

505thAirborne

Hi Everyone for years now I have been drooling over the idea of having a 1:72 scale Aircraft carrier. After seeing Macross Zero, I am pretty well convinced I want one now (I know the story wasn't that good, but still) and it will be a challenge. What I am thinking though, is a Nimitz class carrier would be easier on design as finding info or reference pictures to go by, However if I did the Auska II, I am not sure where to get some detailed picture from for design of the ship.... Its definitely different from a Nimitz class carrier.

Another macross world member sent me some pictures of a guy who made a carrier years ago like this, haven't seen those pics for years, but if could , So can I.

Keep you all posted!!

Actually you can find pictures using Google, like this:

nimitz.gif

Just write "Nimitz class" in the search bar and voilá... A 1/72 Nimitz-class aircraft carrier? That would be 4 meters long (sorry, we use meters instead of feet), and the fictional CVN-99 Asuka II should be longer. BTW, I've seen an Essex-class WWII aircraft carrier in 1/72 in a Finescale Modeler magazine (or was in another magazine? I don't remember), I think it belongs to a museum now... Of course, It can be done, but that will be MAJOR scratchbuilding and you might need expensive blueprints (I mean for the Nimitz-class aircraft carriers, if they are available)... Good luck with your project.

WOW I was having that same thought make a carrier, my opinion is go for the Asuka II If somthing turns out wrong or diferent and it looks good go with it. I doubt I will get past the day dreming setp. :rolleyes:

Thanks Hal9000, I was thinking the Auska II as well, especially since it is not a real carrier, I could probably fake a lot of items on it, where as to a Nimitz class carrier, it would have to be precise so no one could point out all the faults... However, where can I get some pictures or stats of the Auska II? Hmmmm......?

Keep you all posted and remember, if you have a day dream, make it real!! B))

And I thought I was nutz for building a Daedlus!? That will be a lot of work, even without the mechanics and stuff! Keep us in the loop with your progress. - MT

That's some nice pic's Clay Cliff, but the Asuka II is only a small aircraft carrier at 250m, so it should be about 70m shorter than a Nimitz class. The Asuka is small and stealthy. Worst part of building the Asuka II would be the island, the structure would be hard but it's the destroid spots behind the island, have to make destroids or at least the torso up.

Thanks Hal9000, I was thinking the Auska II as well, especially since it is not a real carrier, I could probably fake a lot of items on it, where as to a Nimitz class carrier, it would have to be precise so no one could point out all the faults... However, where can I get some pictures or stats of the Auska II? Hmmmm......?

Keep you all posted and remember, if you have a day dream, make it real!! B))

There is very little out there of the Asuka II but the best pictures of it would have to be in "Tenjin Hidetaka Art Works of Macross Valkyries". It has some lift and deck shots aswell as in the hanger bay about 13 pic's in all. This would be the best reference for the Asuka II.

I like the scale size of the 1/48 carrier, but I think the detail to the 1/72 carrier is much more impressive, or its just laid out better. I have been sketching out the plans and how to get some thing build as of now. Thanks for the info Warpaint22, I thought I had remembered reading some where that the Auska II was a smaller size carrier. Who knows, maybe by the time I get thing underway, the Cheyenne Destroid will be available to build. But I do agree, the tower/island is gonna be tricky.

Thanks everyone !!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for the Line art info from Grahams old posting, that is exactly what I was looking for. The Island-tower will be tricky still, but know I have a better idea of the layout of the flight deck. It is definitely smaller than a Nimitz class carrier. Thank you everyone!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for the Line art info from Grahams old posting, that is exactly what I was looking for. The Island-tower will be tricky still, but know I have a better idea of the layout of the flight deck. It is definitely smaller than a Nimitz class carrier. Thank you everyone!!!!!!!!!

I think it is smaller than a Nimitz but I'm not sure if the 250m is really correct. I made a 1/700 deck plan and used my 1/700 VF-0S I made to see if it fits like in the pictures and the carrier seems a little small, I'd still say smaller than a Nimitz I'm thinking around 270/280m long but still need to do a little more research.