Character Art Appreciation Topic

AHAHAHA.

I commissioned one of my favorite artists to do a Sherylx Alto pic and she has posted it up.

(Can't wait until I can pick it up next week >-D)

Macross_Frontier_by_Ecthelian.jpg

Very nice! Although Alto looks kinda scary, but Sheryl is cute and hot!!

watercolor is HM's favorite medium and he likes heavy wet-on-dry washes, but it is a tricky technique even for long time users of watercolor.

i think when he got a hold of a digital equivalent he got more bold and intense - almost snowblindingly psychedelic - with his colors.

natural watercolors tend to lose intensity with too much use of water, so a digital medium with an "undo, redo" option totally changes a traditional/natural medium artist's outlook on his medium (!)

even i dont know what's gonna happen to me and my techniques if and when i get myself a wacom... :p

I guess i never saw anyone doing better manga/anime paintings than Mikimoto. Those from the guy who does evangelion manga are good (don't know many anyway), but IMHO Mikimoto is better.

It's a traditional media piece (copics and inks), so what goes goes...

and I'm pretty happy with it.

The guys might not be, but the girls are generally happy with it too over at Deviantart XD

Personally, I like the evil Alto look. It makes me think Sheryl must have brainwashed him, since... nah, I won't go there. :D

I guess i never saw anyone doing better manga/anime paintings than Mikimoto. Those from the guy who does evangelion manga are good (don't know many anyway), but IMHO Mikimoto is better.

Yoshiyuki Sadamoto? Yeah his works are awesome too but mikimoto is so retro and his style so distinguishable. B))

It's a traditional media piece (copics and inks), so what goes goes...

and I'm pretty happy with it.

The guys might not be, but the girls are generally happy with it too over at Deviantart XD

Oh! nice, is it possible for us to see the artwork bigger?

Alto's eyes !!!

Sure - it's at http://ecthelian.deviantart.com/art/Macros...ontier-97680132

I only put up the small thumb actually because it would be nice for her to get the pageviews as well as comments :)

thanks thanks! the work looks much better at close up!

another Mikimoto here, featuring the girls from Macross up until Zero:

(Sarah& Mao on top, Sharon Apple on bottom left, Minmay & Mylene up front, and Ishtar on the bottom right)

hope we do see his renditions of the girls from Frontier.

057_anonib.jpg

this artwork was the box art for the CMs line of Macross minifigurines.

(Sarah& Mao on top, Sharon Apple on bottom left, Minmay & Mylene up front, and Ishtar on the bottom right)

Jesus, Minmei is more beautiful than ever in that picture. :o

No offense intended...I mean, it's a beautiful picture and all, but I've gotta wonder...where are Myung and/or Sharon?

No offense intended...I mean, it's a beautiful picture and all, but I've gotta wonder...where are Myung and/or Sharon?

Sharon is in the lower-left corner. As for Myung, she sang only one song in the series. Twice for the OVA, once for the movie. Sharon was the singer in Macross Plus.