The Eye

gerwalk25

I happen to see it on Amazon. I was suprised and I know a few of you know about this title. I haven't seen this horror flick yet (I hear it's like Ringu) but do plan to pick this up at Best Buy (if they have it that is). Are there any MW reviews?

B0000AVHAO.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

~G25

It's from the same makers of Ringu, as far as I've heard... and guess what? There's already a US version on the way...

Was "The Ring" a complete rip off of "Ringu" or was it directed/produced by the same people? That was an excelent movie. Is this along the same lines, if so, gotta have it

It's from the same makers of Ringu, as far as I've heard... and guess what?  There's already a US version on the way...

Was "The Ring" a complete rip off of "Ringu" or was it directed/produced by the same people? That was an excelent movie. Is this along the same lines, if so, gotta have it

It was an "Americanized" remake.

I don't know if you would call him BAD, because what is BAD anyway?

Ummm... world domination thru the suffering and death of millions of others, all in the name of evil??? Maybe???

:lol:

Ummm... world domination thru the suffering and death of millions of others, all in the name of evil??? Maybe???

:huh: Yeah but, don't we all have that aspiration!? I mean, come on... That IS my plan. :wacko:

Seems Japanese horror films are all the rage now since the Ring was so successful. Now we've got this Eye movie, and I heard that they're going to remake Juon, too.

I don't know, though. While the Ring was an excellent film (both the Japanese and the American), seems silly to just jump on a Japanese horror film bandwagon. That'd be like saying that Hollywood fantasy movies are good just because LotR was, and anyone who's seen Dungeons and Dragons knows that that's just not the case. The Ring was good because Koji Suzuki is a good author, the Japanese director was a good director, and because Gore Verbinski did a damn fine job directing the remake.

It's from the same makers of Ringu, as far as I've heard... and guess what?  There's already a US version on the way...

It was an "Americanized" remake.

the bad guys are allways the coolest looking and the good guys are, well, pretty short and wimpy

The Ring was good. I didn't really care for the Japanese version and it's sequels, it just didn't make sense. Sadako in acting school??? :huh:

Word to that. Just because it's the "original", doesn't necessarily make it better. To me, The Ring (american) was far better than Ringu. And the Ringu sequels were even worse.

Curious to see the Eye, though. Somebody give us a MW review.

I've only seen parts of The Ring but from what I saw it was pretty good. I'm going to have to rent it to see the rest. What's "The Eye" about? I agree just because something was the original doesn't make it better. With remakes you have the chance to keep in the good and improve on the bad.

Ringu was better then The Ring to a certain extent..... Sadako was better then Samira (or whatever she was called). I think the silent type really matched the movie better. The soundtrack really made a difference (in which Ringu was better then The Ring), and the parts that were supposed to be scary were done better in Ringu. The Ring is an awsome adpatation in its own right.... one of the best I've ever seen.... though..... Samira making horses commit suicide was a very dumb plot device.

As for ppl bashing the Ringu sequels..... Ring 0 was as good as the first one.... everything else sucked. <_<

I've only seen parts of The Ring but from what I saw it was pretty good. I'm going to have to rent it to see the rest. What's "The Eye" about? I agree just because something was the original doesn't make it better. With remakes you have the chance to keep in the good and improve on the bad.

Its about a girl who has an eye transplant of some kind.... and ends up seeing memories of the previous owner of her eye. Thats as far as I got.

Edited by Abombz!!

I did a review for this on the previous MW message board about three months ago. It goes like this; The main character had a cornea transplant and ends up seeing dead people (both the recently passed and those on the verge of crossing over) shortly after regaining her sight. Everyone thinks she's going through some sort of breakdown except for her psychotherapist turned lover. After a crazy twist midway through the movie (as much as I want to say what happened, I can't spoil it for anyone who has not seen it yet) the two of them go looking for info on the donor and try to come to grips with her gift/curse. While that sabbatical does solve the midway twist, it couldn't prepare her or the viewer for the ending, which in my honest opinion one of the craziest deja vu scenarios I've ever seen played out on film. I gave it four out of five stars on all my reviews-worth a look.

FYI: The film was directed by the Pang Brothers, not the same director as Ringu. It was filmed entirely in HK and Thailand. And yes, the film was recently picked up to be remade by Tom Cruise's newly formed production company. If Palm Pictures is releasing this film, go after their version-Other copies I've come across are poorly subbed (Panorama's version had too many sub hiccups).

Samira making horses commit suicide was a very dumb plot device.

I thought that was one of the more clever devices in the remake. I thought it filled in an almost empty spot in the Japanese version...

Mean... the part about Sadako being able to kill ppl, and cause them to go crazy and commit suicide? <_<

no... the part about how the images got on the tape... :rolleyes:

Is that ever explained in The Ring? In Ringu.... the time is simply the projection of Sadakos anger.

But then again.... the whole title of the movie was changed. While The Ring refered to the Ring that shows up at the top of the well.... Ringu refers to how the curse goes around.

Ringu was better then The Ring to a certain extent..... Sadako was better then Samira (or whatever she was called). I think the silent type really matched the movie better. The soundtrack really made a difference (in which Ringu was better then The Ring), and the parts that were supposed to be scary were done better in Ringu. The Ring is an awsome adpatation in its own right.... one of the best I've ever seen.... though..... Samira making horses commit suicide was a very dumb plot device.

As for ppl bashing the Ringu sequels..... Ring 0 was as good as the first one.... everything else sucked. <_<

What?!?! Don't get me wrong, Ringu wasn't bad... but better than the American version? Let's see, Reiko was an annoying character who stopped every ten minutes to cry, causing me to actually root for Sadako... who was herself more a vehicle to carry the plot than a real character. Combined with the generally sunny backdrops where Ringu was filmed, and you have a movie that was only marginally scary at best. The cursed video wasn't really bad, but they only had that one obscure clue to go on.

As for the American version... Seattle's rainy skies and the muted lighting set a better atmosphere, and while I do agree that silence can be scary, the Ring's soundtrack worked for it. The cursed video was longer and more disturbing, but left a series of clues that actually made the story as much a mystery as a horror story. Samara was a genuinely terrifying character (the scene near the end with the TV gave me nightmares... the first time that's happened since I was seven or eight and I saw Stephen King's It on TV). And Rachel's son was kinda creepy himself.

The one thing that Japanese version does win out on is the ending... some people complain that the American version over explains things, but that's not really it... it's just that the Japanese version is... well, I'll just say better. I don't want to spoil it for anyone that hasn't seen it.

I haven't see the Japanese sequels yet... I heard Ring 2 and Ring 0 were good, though, and Spiral sucked... which is kinda weird, because Spiral was the second novel, and there was no novel for Ring 2. Well, maybe Suzuki's novels just aren't as good... I heard Loop was pretty bad...

In the Ring, Samira was sending out signals that would burn images in anything that could recieve... people's minds, horses, X-ray films, that tree on the wall up on top of her room in the stable. It drove the horses and her mother mad and affected quite a few people in the island. The TV and the VCR was tight on top of the well, where her thoughts ended up getting recorded. How she got to a phone whenever someone watched that damn tape I'll never know. Maybe she had a cell phone when her mom choked her then drop her down... :D

I gotta admit though, I got the creeps when she crawled up that well in one of the sequels...

What?!?! Don't get me wrong, Ringu wasn't bad... but better than the American version? Let's see, Reiko was an annoying character who stopped every ten minutes to cry, causing me to actually root for Sadako... who was herself more a vehicle to carry the plot than a real character. Combined with the generally sunny backdrops where Ringu was filmed, and you have a movie that was only marginally scary at best. The cursed video wasn't really bad, but they only had that one obscure clue to go on.

As for the American version... Seattle's rainy skies and the muted lighting set a better atmosphere, and while I do agree that silence can be scary, the Ring's soundtrack worked for it. The cursed video was longer and more disturbing, but left a series of clues that actually made the story as much a mystery as a horror story. Samara was a genuinely terrifying character (the scene near the end with the TV gave me nightmares... the first time that's happened since I was seven or eight and I saw Stephen King's It on TV). And Rachel's son was kinda creepy himself.

I find Ringu to be a far scarier movie then The Ring. Its all about tastes... and I'm not about to discuss tastes. And I kept praying that at some time they would shut Samira up and make her a scary character like Sadako.... but that didn't happen. The Ring loses points in scariness simply because they made Sadako just another character. <_<

And BTW..... Naomis character (don't know her name) was just as annoying as Reiko. And the Tape in Ringu was scary enough.

And why the heck wouldn't she be crying? She was going to die in 7 days.... her son was going to die in 7 days! What did you expect? That she would spend her last days in a bar getting drunk?

I haven't see the Japanese sequels yet... I heard Ring 2 and Ring 0 were good, though, and Spiral sucked... which is kinda weird, because Spiral was the second novel, and there was no novel for Ring 2. Well, maybe Suzuki's novels just aren't as good... I heard Loop was pretty bad...

Ringu 2 sucks.... but if you rooted for Sadako and wanted Reiko to die.... you might want to watch it.

Which one was the one where the guy has sex with her and creates the Sadako clones?

Was that Rasen?

Yep... thats one messed up series.... or was it movie? :huh:

Edited by Abombz!!

Which one was the one where the guy has sex with her and creates the Sadako clones?

Was that Rasen?

Yep... thats one messed up series.... or was it movie? :huh:

I think it was a movie. Very different from the others. When I was in Japan, I was determined to watch the whole damn RING shelf from the video store, and this was the only one with naked women on the box. :ph34r:

Dying from Sadako is one thing. At least your dead and you have nothing to worry about. I feel sorry for the people who see her and don't die. That would be some traumatizing crap.

Hey... I was reading on the web that the American sequel to the American Ring is going to be out in October of 2004... and that it's not going to be an adaptation of Spiral (Rasen) or Ring 2, but an entirely original story.

Was that Rasen?

Yeah, but that was actually from the novel, as far as I know.

The third novel gets even weirder. It's about people who are dying and live with some computer. The computer runs a simulated world (kinda like the Matrix) called Loop. The events of Ring and Rasen too place in the Loop... but people the reason that people in the real world are dying is because of Sadako's curse in Loop.

Hey... I was reading on the web that the American sequel to the American Ring is going to be out in October of 2004... and that it's not going to be an adaptation of Spiral (Rasen) or Ring 2, but an entirely original story.

yeah... none of the american sequels are gonna be based off the japanese novels or sequels.

yeah... none of the american sequels are gonna be based off the japanese novels or sequels.

I also read at RingWorld that Naomi Watts is in for the second, but Gore Verbinski might not be directing it.

Samira making horses commit suicide was a very dumb plot device.

I thought that was one of the more clever devices in the remake. I thought it filled in an almost empty spot in the Japanese version...

Mean... the part about Sadako being able to kill ppl, and cause them to go crazy and commit suicide? <_<

Did Sadako make the horses commit suicide? The impression that I got was that they thought the horses seemed to be dying from some unidentified disease, but that Samara was actually using her power to kill the horses because she didn't like sharing the barn with them.

As for the horse that jumped off the boat, I think it was just trying to get away from Rachel. The novels and the Japanese films explain that watching the tape infects a person with the girl's being down the genetic level. It's fairly common in literature for animals to sense things that people don't. The horse may have sensed Samara's hate for horses and felt threatend enough to try to run away.

The whole thing with the horses was a little contrived, sure. The death of the horses lead to Samara's mother's depression in the movies, instead of a psycic being labeled a fraud in the Japanese version.