Heroes (thread #2)

Hmmm... remember that apology for Season 2?

Well when is that going to come into play?

THE PACE IS TOO SLOW ''We assumed the audience wanted season 1 — a buildup of intrigue about these characters and the discovery of their powers. We taught [them] to expect a certain kind of storytelling. They wanted adrenaline. We made a mistake.''

THE WORLD-SAVING STAKES SHOULD HAVE BEEN ESTABLISHED SOONER The premonition of nuclear apocalypse created a larger context that unified every story line last season. Kring now sees that Volume 2 (the first 11 episodes of season 2) would have been better served if Peter's vision of viral Armageddon had appeared in the season premiere rather than episode 7. ''We took too long to get to the big-picture story,'' he says.

THE ROOKIES DIDN'T GREET THEMSELVES PROPERLY New Heroes Monica (Dana Davis), Maya (Dania Ramirez), and Alejandro (Shalim Ortiz) ''shouldn't have been introduced in separate story lines that felt unattached to the show. The way we introduced Elle (Kristen Bell) — by weaving her in via Peter's story line — is a more logical way to bring new characters into the show.'' (That said, Kring says a few newbies won't make it beyond this second volume, which wraps Dec. 3.)

HIRO WAS IN JAPAN WAY TOO LONG Hiro's (Masi Oka) time-bending adventure in 17th-century Japan — where he mentored samurai hero Takezo Kensei (David Anders) — finally came to an end on Nov. 5. But Kring says it ''should have [lasted] three episodes. We didn't give the audience enough story to justify the time we allotted it.''

YOUNG LOVE STINKS Kring regrets sticking Claire (Hayden Panettiere) with a super-dud boyfriend and forcing Hiro to moon over a cutesy princess. ''I've seen more convincing romances on TV,'' he admits. ''In retrospect, I don't think romance is a natural fit for us.''

As far as I can see it's still more of the same. Are they just waiting for Pushing Daisies guy before they get into any type of creativity? The only difference is Hiro is not in Japan anymore but he's still a lame part of the show.

Hmmm... remember that apology for Season 2?

Well when is that going to come into play?

As far as I can see it's still more of the same. Are they just waiting for Pushing Daisies guy before they get into any type of creativity? The only difference is Hiro is not in Japan anymore but he's still a lame part of the show.

exactly. they admit a mistake, and then they keep on doing it anyway. it's frickin volume 4 already, where's the superhero action?!! i'd understand if this series was made circa 1990's, where superhero movies do not have mainstream acceptance yet. but COME ON, it's 2009, the age where an Avengers movie is about to get made! :p

Did the official or Comics or whatever ever mentioned why the Earth is splitting into two in Season 3 Part 1(Vol.3). When Hiro travelled to the future and saw Ando knocked him out, the earth(or Earth) was spliting. Season 3(vol3) also have "Earth Splitting" paintings appeared quite a number of times, but did anyone says anything about it?

Heroes is a terrible show right now... the show has so much potential but now they ruined it.

exactly. they admit a mistake, and then they keep on doing it anyway. it's frickin volume 4 already, where's the superhero action?!! i'd understand if this series was made circa 1990's, where superhero movies do not have mainstream acceptance yet. but COME ON, it's 2009, the age where an Avengers movie is about to get made! :p

I've finally caught up.

Heroes is not about X-men/Avengers/JLA etc. Don't expect spandex, overt use of powers, Hall of Justice, X-Mansion, etc. If you are....well just download Mutant X. God that was a horrible piece of crap and is exactly what a live action TV version of a X-team/JLA would be. There's a reason why that thing got canned.

Chapter 1: Awesome

Chapter 2: WTF? (this was crap)

Chapter 3: Try to fix season 2...but hindered by bad writing.

Chapter 4(current): Bad writers are gone but IIRC pushing up daisies guy hasn't started writing yet. They're still working on the old scripts.

I've finally caught up.

Heroes is not about X-men/Avengers/JLA etc. Don't expect spandex, overt use of powers, Hall of Justice, X-Mansion, etc. If you are....well just download Mutant X. God that was a horrible piece of crap and is exactly what a live action TV version of a X-team/JLA would be. There's a reason why that thing got canned.

Chapter 1: Awesome

Chapter 2: WTF? (this was crap)

Chapter 3: Try to fix season 2...but hindered by bad writing.

Chapter 4(current): Bad writers are gone but IIRC pushing up daisies guy hasn't started writing yet. They're still working on the old scripts.

You misunderstood. My fault for even mentioning the Avengers and super-hero team-ups in this post, which was actually just a follow-up to an earlier post i made. I'm not condeming the lack of slam-bang super-hero action in Heroes (but i wouldn't mind it either). What's bothering me is that 4 volumes in, our heroes are still little lost lambs without direction and a sense of purpose in their lives. It's like they didn't go through anything in the first 3 volumes which would strengthen their resolve and/or solidify their identity. They're either (1) still unsure of their purpose in the world, (2) afraid to use their powers, (3) haven't developed their powers to its full potential. Case in point, after 3 volumes and all that Hiro went through, he had to take a trip to India and bother a wedding -- of all things -- just to realize how it is truly to be a hero?? i mean, WTF, shouldn't that have been out and done with as early as Volume 1?

In short, i think our heroes are regressing instead of progressing.

Edited by dreamweaver13

Let's go at it from another direction then. Heroes is a drama about normal people who gain extraordinary abilities. In a typical sci-fi/fantasy show you've got the archetypical characters. The Leader. The Nerd. The Hottie. The Powerhouse. The Brains. Whatever. None of those are "normal" people but caricatures. I don't think Heroes will ever go in that direction as each character has their own set of values and goals.

To address your points:

1)Purpose in the world can mean a whole lot of things to different people and not all of them have to make an impact on the world. Person who wants to make an impact? Nathan Petrelli. Person who had a purpose but eventually was disillusioned? Mohinder. Person who's purpose is to live a normal life while having a family? Parkman. Etc etc etc. I'd rather have it this way as it makes them more human then superheroes. Really if they dropped me in the show you'd(hell the whole world) probably hate it since my purpose in the world is to be a civilian, live my life and start a family. Unless the special abilities I got helped with that purpose I sure as hell wouldn't go around advertising to the world what I could do because I've read Planetary. :p

2)Depending on what their personal purpose is some of those characters don't have a point in using their powers. Peter's current ability is to copy anothers ability. Well not very useful for a nurse is it? On the other hand some of them did embrace them. Daphne's one of them as well as pre-loss of power Hiro. Parkman certainly has no qualms about using his abilities once Daphne got captured eh? I don't see them as being afraid but being judicial about when, where and how to use their powers.

3) Hiros an idiot. We've all known that from day one. As for the rest of the cast, if it's not useful for the characters own perceived purpose why would they want to develop them?

Let's go at it from another direction then. Heroes is a drama about normal people who gain extraordinary abilities. In a typical sci-fi/fantasy show you've got the archetypical characters. The Leader. The Nerd. The Hottie. The Powerhouse. The Brains. Whatever. None of those are "normal" people but caricatures. I don't think Heroes will ever go in that direction as each character has their own set of values and goals.

To address your points:

1)Purpose in the world can mean a whole lot of things to different people and not all of them have to make an impact on the world. Person who wants to make an impact? Nathan Petrelli. Person who had a purpose but eventually was disillusioned? Mohinder. Person who's purpose is to live a normal life while having a family? Parkman. Etc etc etc. I'd rather have it this way as it makes them more human then superheroes. Really if they dropped me in the show you'd(hell the whole world) probably hate it since my purpose in the world is to be a civilian, live my life and start a family. Unless the special abilities I got helped with that purpose I sure as hell wouldn't go around advertising to the world what I could do because I've read Planetary. :p

2)Depending on what their personal purpose is some of those characters don't have a point in using their powers. Peter's current ability is to copy anothers ability. Well not very useful for a nurse is it? On the other hand some of them did embrace them. Daphne's one of them as well as pre-loss of power Hiro. Parkman certainly has no qualms about using his abilities once Daphne got captured eh? I don't see them as being afraid but being judicial about when, where and how to use their powers.

3) Hiros an idiot. We've all known that from day one. As for the rest of the cast, if it's not useful for the characters own perceived purpose why would they want to develop them?

Ok, I get where you're coming from. But I still disagree. I still think they're sacrificing real character development for the sake of an "intriguing" storyline. I'm still hoping they could develop both. :)

and now to approach it from a third different direction: I'm not satisfied with the progression of the show, but i will still watch it. It would seem that you're satisfied with it, but you're also waiting for the Pushing Daisies writer to liven it up a bit. In other words, we'll both still be watching it. two sides of the same coin, i guess.

But then again, if we're the only two people left watching it :lol:, then that doesn't give me much hope that the show will last as much as I hope it would. :p

Unfortunately, Bryan's contributions won't be made until the end of the season. When he was signed back on (Damn ABC for killing Pushing Daisies), the current writers already mapped out to episode 20. I have a feeling we won't see his full participation until next season.

According to Ain't It Cool, Tonight’s Episode Of HEROES Marks Bryan Fuller’s Return To The Series' Writers Room

Though his name is not on the teleplay of tonight’s episode, titled “Shades of Gray,” the installment marks Fuller’s first episode “in the room.”

The fact is, “Heroes,” like many scripted series, is written by committee. While one writer will typically get “written by” credit for a given episode, it’s routine for all the writers to contribute plot and dialogue, and for senior writers to polish the teleplay before it goes before cameras.

What level of influence Fuller (the only writer besides series creator Tim Kring with showrunning experience) could assert in his first days back – in the middle of a long-planned ongoing story arc – will likely be difficult to gauge, but reports indicate Fuller hit the ground running.

Got a copyright infringement notice from NBC for downloading (BT) the last episode of Heroes. Lol. Funny because I've been d/l'ing since the 1st season. Now I'm hesitant to do it again. I don't see why TV shows are a problem. I mean everyone with a TV can watch it for free. And it sucks for people who miss it and don't have any tv recording device like tivo or DVR and VHS is a thing of the past. I don't see how it's any different than making hard copies of the show and sharing it with your friends and all. As far as I know people using BT or P2P isn't making any profit for sharing.

Unfortunately, Bryan's contributions won't be made until the end of the season. When he was signed back on (Damn ABC for killing Pushing Daisies), the current writers already mapped out to episode 20. I have a feeling we won't see his full participation until next season.

Sorry Azrael, but I'm glad you were wrong.

Hats off to the return of Bryan Fuller to Heroes and the return of Hiro's powers.

What a difference good writing makes (and the direction based on the writing)

Right off the bat I could tell the level of quality was higher with this episode from the intro with Danko shaving and Tracy Breathing her cold breath.

I also felt that the effects quality was better or maybe just better utilized for dramatic effect.

Nice Cameo by Aunt Lily from Pushing Daisies as Millie :lol:

Hopefully it's not too late for them to steer this boat away from the looming iceberg.

Tracy may not be dead. She does wink when she's all in pieces. lol

I'm talking about the other girl that died. :(

Was that a diferent actor playing Mica/rebel, or did he just grow a foot since they showed him in the begining of the season.

Edited by miles316

Are their going to be any more Niki,Tracy clones?

Maybe they could bring the original.

I remember there are 3 of them, but I think that includes Jessica, so no more show for that Tracy/Niki actress. :huh:

I don't see any improvement from the story plot(I do see deprovement from my personal point of view), the whole "hunting" plot in the show now doesn't really convincing enough for me. However in the other forum, ppl seems to be very happy about this new vol.. What do u guys think?

O/T: Terminator SCC on the other hand, I feel it was better now(though still Season1 was the best), but ppl in other forum says it sucks now. :mellow: No one here seems to be posting on SSC thread recently, so I think it wasn't good.

Pardon my English. B))

• 2 weeks later...

Third episode since Fullers return and it was yet another good episode. It seems that he's doing alot to undo the damage of Season 2 and Book three. There's more flow to the story, the characters seem more enjoyable(ie the writers aren't listening to what the fans want but writing what makes sense for the characters) and I love that Sylars gone back to being an evil bastard.