Bandai Reissues of Macross Valkyries to be Imported to USA

Noriko Takaya

From the Anime News Network:

North America's Toynami announced that it will distribute Valkyrie robot toys that the Japanese company Bandai had based on Takatoku's classic Macross toy line. The defunct Takatoku company developed the first transformable toys for Studio Nue's Super Dimension Fortress Macross space war series (1982-1983). Takatoku's 1/55-scale VF-1 Valkyrie fighter toy were eventually remolded and recolored as the Jetfire toy for The Transformers line.

Toynami will start its Valkyrie toy release with the VF-1S (pictured above) and VF-1J (pictured below) variants this summer, and continue with the VF-1A variant with detachable Super packs this fall. These first releases will be sold under The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love? name. Macross: Do You Remember Love? was the 1984 theatrical film adaptation of the first Macross series.

Toynami plans to release more toys from the first Macross series under the Robotech brand in 2009. The North American distributor Harmony Gold USA partially released the first Macross series on home video in 1984, before rewriting and editing the series with two other series to compile the Robotech project in 1985.

Toynami was founded in 2000 after Harmony Gold USA asked for compensation on the toy imports for the animated Macross Plus sequel by Toynami's predecessor, Toycom. The issue grew into a larger dispute with two lawsuits and led to the recent impasse in Macross releases outside Japan. Before importing the upcoming Valkyrie toy line, Toynami produced its own line of 1/55-scale toys as well as lower-priced 1/100-scale toys. Both of these in-house Toynami designs had less die-cast metal than the Takatoku toys.

Yamato Toys, the former Japanese partner of Toycom, produced a recent 1/48-scale line of VF-1 Valkyrie toys. This June, it will start a 1/60-scale line (pictured at right) that matches the scale of the toys from the other Macross projects in Japan. Both Yamato toy lines use less die-cast metal than Takatoku's toys of the 1980s, but are more faithful to the original mechanical designs.

Bandai is reissuing the Macross toys in Japan to coincide with the 25th anniversary of the first Macross series and the 2008 launch of the Macross Frontier television series.

First: Tadaima! :)

Second, Wow-- this is genuinely good news. the last two Toynami releases were pretty dire. Now, finally we have Chunky Monkies to look forward to. I nearly keeled over when I saw that on ANN today. Whose back did they have to scratch to get that license? And does this mean that perhaps there's a light at the end of the Yammie tunnel?

Oh, and where do we get these? Please say they'll be in stores.. (I did see some fo the Toynami 1/100s in a Santa Monica toystore [near, fittingly enough a gigantic statue of a Valkyrie :D] not too long ago... )

Edited by Pat Payne

Harmony Gold USA partially released the first Macross series on home video in 1984

did they? i though Macek couldn't air Macross alone because (at the time) 36 episodes wasn't enough for sindication?

did they? i though Macek couldn't air Macross alone because (at the time) 36 episodes wasn't enough for sindication?

IIRC, Macek wanted to do a subscription sort of affair at first (i.e. you'd get two episodes in the mail every month or some such on VHS casette), but found that there was no money to be had at that time, and so went the route of TV syndication.

yes, we've been talking about it here:

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?show...0&start=100

I'm hoping for non-common variants

You may get your wish -- according to Toynami's press release, they want to re-issue every 1/55 valk ever made by Bandai/Takatoku, even the "rare and exotic variants." :)

Edited by Pat Payne

hey i'm new here but a long time fan of the first series of macross but haven't really watched much of the others but anyways i just ordered the robotech masterpiece 1/55 VF-1J mariah (sorry for misspelling) by toynami for 59.65$ did u guys think thats a good buy and if toynami is a good manfacuter since i'm a first time buyer of these toys thanks for the help.