Macross Frontier Episode 5 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 5 Rating  

187 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of Episode 5

• Positive (At least the girl is attractive)
    • Neutral/No Opinion
    • Negative (I would hate the taste concrete on the 1st date)

Just saw the 5th ep from Gattai subs. Awesome if I may say so. However, I am just curious on the annihilation technique they used on the raging Vajra in captivity. After enforcing the tube with blast panels, they kinda vapourized the Vajra. Cant they arm these weapon on the VF-25s? Hmmm.......

Just saw the 5th ep from Gattai subs. Awesome if I may say so. However, I am just curious on the annihilation technique they used on the raging Vajra in captivity. After enforcing the tube with blast panels, they kinda vapourized the Vajra. Cant they arm these weapon on the VF-25s? Hmmm.......

They destroyed it? I thought they just threw up those blast shields and it folded out by itself.

Well just saw episodes 5. I haven't read all the stuff you guys wrote, but that was great !

It's more character-centric and that's good. I love the chemistry between Sheryl and Alto. I wonder WTF is wrong with Ranka's school... being suspensed because she participated in Miss Macross ?! :blink:

So as we suspected the Vajra seems to be some kind of biomechanical weapons controlled by something/someone else. Maybe it's a crazy thought, but I wonder if they couldn't be controlled by the "Power of Songs" ?

Oh and of course Ranka-chan is still cute as ever and sings great ! DECULTURE !

-Sergorn

Have we been watching the same Macross over the years? Cause the Macross I watch don't take themselves too seriously and are always a tad bit silly.

Also,

Dialogue: 0,0:05:05.20,0:05:06.20,Union Flag,,0000,0000,0000,,Lt Commander Ozma Lee.

should be changed to

Dialogue: 0,0:05:05.20,0:05:06.20,Union Flag,,0000,0000,0000,,Major Ozma Lee.

Macross uses Army and Air Force ranks, not Navy, so Shousa would be Major, not Lt Commander. The Compendium also lists Ozma as a Major.

Mac Plus and Mac Zero were rather serious. I find the whole loli thing annoying rather than humorous.

Mac Plus and Mac Zero were rather serious. I find the whole loli thing annoying rather than humorous.

As I said before, Macross Plus and Macross Zero where rather serious, but they were OAVs series essentially held to original fans which had grown up.

Macross Frontier aims to create a new generation of fans (like Macross 7 did), and thus it aimes a the younger anime crowd hence why it doesn't itself as seriously - just like the original SDFM and Macross 7 (and IMO, Plus and Zero probably were a tad TOO serious at times)

-Sergorn

Edited by Sergorn

wow, this episode made sheryl look really good. now i wonder which one alto is going to end up with.

this episode had good character development. alto seemed different from the other episodes as hes more light-hearted... i guess without his Valkyrie and not talking about flying so much. =P

and it was really funny with the cell phone in locker part, ecchi~! haha

As I said before, Macross Plus and Macross Zero where rather serious, but they were OAVs series essentially held to original fans which had grown up.

Macross Frontier aims to create a new generation of fans (like Macross 7 did), and thus it aimes a the younger anime crowd hence why it doesn't itself as seriously - just like the original SDFM and Macross 7 (and IMO, Plus and Zero probably were a tad TOO serious at times)

-Sergorn

So far i liked Macross F. There isn't much to complain about.

Good so far. The characterisation is ticking along nicely, there's a big battle coming up and it looks like we've found out what that other plane in the intro is. Seems to be a VF4 clone.

However, if the anime IS indeed 26 episodes long, they really need to start moving things along now. Mysterious aliens and love triangles get old quickly if an anime relies on them.

Good so far. The characterisation is ticking along nicely, there's a big battle coming up and it looks like we've found out what that other plane in the intro is. Seems to be a VF4 clone.

However, if the anime IS indeed 26 episodes long, they really need to start moving things along now. Mysterious aliens and love triangles get old quickly if an anime relies on them.

What, Alto going from a student to what is basically a special forces pilot in 4 or 5 episodes isn't fast enough for you? :rolleyes:

Please don't roll your eyes at me. We're still at the point where A) the Vajra are just mysterious weapons with no personality and B) the love triangle has barely started. Compared to the original series' frantic attempts to launch the Macross, things are a little slow. Alto has changed, sure, but know is the time to do something with him. That's the only issue I have with the series, its not a big thing, but the series can't rest on eariler successes. I really really don't want this series to decline.

Edited by Ork_dreadnought

Please don't roll your eyes at me. We're still at the point where A) the Vajra are just mysterious weapons with no personality and B) the love triangle has barely started. Compared to the original series' frantic attempts to launch the Macross, things are a little slow.

Oh come on ! In SDFM the love triangle only get a *real* kickstart after the final battle with Bodolza :mellow: And sure the Zentradi had a "human face", but at that point we barely know anything about them except that they were big giants. While Frontier certainly has a much faster pace than Macross 7 - it doesn't seemed slower than the original series to me. Very much comparable I would say.

-Sergorn

Edited by Sergorn

I agree, Frontier is off to a much quicker start compared to SDFM. Alto is already a pilot by episode 4 while Hikaru was in training in episode 5 of SDFM. The love triangle is already set up and the wingmen are already established where as in SDFM they weren't even introduced until episode 8.

So as we suspected the Vajra seems to be some kind of biomechanical weapons controlled by something/someone else. Maybe it's a crazy thought, but I wonder if they couldn't be controlled by the "Power of Songs" ?

Damnit. al Qaeda in space. :(

Wow, the subs were really helpful this time. Lots of character development and even without any battles that was a really great and enjoyable episode. Can't think of anything that hasn't been said already, just that the hippo-cows are now my official favorite macross creature :lol:

Anyway, this might be a wild guess here but my theory behind the Vajra attacks is that the Vajra may be acting as some sort of anti-body mechanism (like in Gunbuster/Diebuster) left by the PC, to ensure that any potentially dangerous race or any race that didn't pass the Aphos test (and we barely did) doesn't expand through the galaxy and goes the same way as the PC did. The way they find any potential threat is by detecting any sign of culture ( songs or some kind of signal given by mix of genes between human and Zentradi, like the way the PC ruins detected Mylene in 7 for example. This kinda reminds me of DYRL too). It's a bit far fetched but that would tie-in with Zero, it's certainly within the possibilities imo.

Anyone know if GATTAI's improved their translation? I can't get over the jankiness of this conversation....

Gattai subs:

Ozma: Ozma Lee, entering

Captain: How it goes? The business?

Ozma: We've managed fifty.

Captain: Right up your alley, huh.

AiA subs:

Ozma: Ozma Lee entering.

Captain: How about a wager?

Ozma: Fifty on our guys.

Captain: You're on.

Wow, the subs were really helpful this time. Lots of character development and even without any battles that was a really great and enjoyable episode. Can't think of anything that hasn't been said already, just that the hippo-cows are now my official favorite macross creature :lol:

Anyway, this might be a wild guess here but my theory behind the Vajra attacks is that the Vajra may be acting as some sort of anti-body mechanism (like in Gunbuster/Diebuster) left by the PC, to ensure that any potentially dangerous race or any race that didn't pass the Aphos test (and we barely did) doesn't expand through the galaxy and goes the same way as the PC did. The way they find any potential threat is by detecting any sign of culture ( songs or some kind of signal given by mix of genes between human and Zentradi, like the way the PC ruins detected Mylene in 7 for example. This kinda reminds me of DYRL too). It's a bit far fetched but that would tie-in with Zero, it's certainly within the possibilities imo.

Don't the PC have enough mistakes to clean up before making those mistakes to clean up those mistakes? It's getting ridiculous. They make the Zentradi to police space and fight their wars, in their wars, they accidentally make the Protodevlin, who make the Supervision Army who fight the Zentradi, who all end up destroying the PC...now the Vajra are some kind of anti-body to cleanse the universe of any PC creations that have experienced culture?

Well I can't be sure, but at least didn't sse anything in this episode that didn't make any sense like that Ozma/Captain thing.

To be fair though, I think some times the AiA subs sounds better, but at other the Gattai subs does (I thought the whole speech about Ranka's condition in episodes 3 made much more sense in the Gattai subs).

-Sergorn

Yes, you are right there. Time for the pace and the action to start to pick up. It would seem that all of the introductions are over, the characters have generally been established. I don't think that random Vajra attacks or attacks in ones and twos are going to cut it anymore. Time for some bigger action and to explain why they are such a threat.

Taksraven

I admit that the Hippo Cows are VERY cool but to me the best creature seen in Macross is still the colossal bird creature (Terrorsaur, I can't remember, maybe thats a Beast Wars character) that we see on the planet Eden in Macross Plus. A truly amazing creature. Imagine what it would be like to live on a world where such creatures existed.

Taksraven

Well I can't be sure, but at least didn't sse anything in this episode that didn't make any sense like that Ozma/Captain thing.

To be fair though, I think some times the AiA subs sounds better, but at other the Gattai subs does (I thought the whole speech about Ranka's condition in episodes 3 made much more sense in the Gattai subs).

-Sergorn

Umm the part about entrusting your lives to 7000 year old weaponry was not clear at all either.

After four episodes of adventure, small character moments and establishing cast, Macross Frontier episode five focuses at last upon the three central characters Ranka, Sheryl and Alto. Taking a break from the action up until this point, episode five concentrates on building up the story for both the characters and the drama yet to come. Several discoveries about the new Macross universe are unveiled. The broader world of the Macross Froniter fleet is shown as Sheryl and Alto travel among the various areas of Island One and find entire areas where full-sized Zentradi live. On Island Three, Leon reveals some interesitng facts after examining the Vajra: they are advanced bio-mechanical weapons possessing the same energy converting armor as a Valkyrie fighter but controlled by a very small, limited brain. The big question remains who controls these creatures?

Back on Island One, Sheryl pursues Alto in an attempt to locate her missing earing. She seems determined to find it, but is also welcoming the opportunity to be with Alto. For all their arguing and clashes, Sheryl seems to value the fact that Alto doesn't gush over her like nearly everyone else in her life. Alto too is slowly learning that the same drive within himself is also found in Sheryl; Alto wants to fly and pursue his dream and Sheryl works hard for her singing. The two have more in common than either care to admit, but it's clear they have a connection. Meanwhile Ranka runs into trouble with her brother Ozuma. Seems Ranka's performance at the Miss Macross Frontier contest got her suspended from her puritanical private school. Ranka is beginning to understand what sacrifices she has to make to pursue her dreams. With some hard-to-swallow advice from Mikhail, Ranka puts on a public show of her singing, determined to overcome her shyness. She almost falters, but one of Alto's paper planes flies overhead and she's swept up in her emotions for him. Singing proudly to no one in particular, Ranka attracts a crowd with her melodic voice.

While definitely a slower paced story, this episode is filled with great character moments. With the players in this tale firmly established, it was well past time to delve into the love triangle between Sheryl, Alto and Ranka. Macross Frontier is doing a great job pacing itself without repeating and without ever becoming dull. The audience is invested and the writers are determined to deliver.

Next up, episode six. Deculture! :)

Anyone know if GATTAI's improved their translation? I can't get over the jankiness of this conversation....

Gattai subs:

Ozma: Ozma Lee, entering

Captain: How it goes? The business?

Ozma: We've managed fifty.

Captain: Right up your alley, huh.

AiA subs:

Ozma: Ozma Lee entering.

Captain: How about a wager?

Ozma: Fifty on our guys.

Captain: You're on.

Gattai has Ranka being one of the survivors of the 177th Research Fleet, AiA-IZ has her being the ONLY survivor... and, of course, we then see other survivors show up in episode 5. Its all relative.

After watching 5, I'm begining to think that perhaps the Vajra are just mindless bio-weapons part of something waaay bigger. Who is controlling them?

a) Sara Nome's ghost?

b) The Birdman (What was left of it)?

c) The Protoculture (What was left of it)?

d) Mr. Vilrer (fake/war NUNS/SMS weapon/trade/buy/"the good guys are the bad guys" conspiracy on the horizon...)?

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

"Definitely not anything like a VF-4." -Official statement from The Cult of the Lightning

It looked more like a VF-2SS from Macross 2 as someone had suggested about 8 pages ago with some hints of the original ghost and the FAF CF fighters in Yukikaze.

My favorite moment was a scene from the mall that touched me kind of personally.

Alto: Why do people sing or want to fly? Even to the extent of going into space?

Sheryl: Isn't it obvious? Like we could do anything else.

Alto: Is that right...I fly because I'm meant to.

I could really relate to Alto here, moreso than normal, and in that instant, felt a connection to Sheryl. It's like "Here's a chick that gets it. That understands my passion, and has one of her own." For that fundamental understanding of what makes a person tick, I don't think their could be a better pairing then Alto and Sheryl. With Ranka it would simply be a superficial need to nurture and protect.

Someone had stated earlier that this development of Sheryl's relationship with Alto comes at the expense of Ranka's. Based on the feedback in this thread and my own reactions to the episode, I'd wager that the same could be said of Sheryl's and Ranka's relationships with the viewer. Ranka is cute and came out of her shell, but Sheryl won big here.

Now if only I could find a girl like Sheryl. :)