Macross Frontier Episode 5 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 5 Rating  

187 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of Episode 5

• Positive (At least the girl is attractive)
    • Neutral/No Opinion
    • Negative (I would hate the taste concrete on the 1st date)

I had to go back and double check this, but if you noticed from the earlier colonization fleet shots, the Frontier comes from Earth, and the Galaxy from Eden. This could probably explain what Sheryl is talking about when she is telling Alto how the Galaxy is nothing like the Frontier, the micloned Zentradi, etc. The Galaxy simply didn't have the resources behind it that the Frontier does.

2. Technically, it's not a "new" Sheryl song...it's the one she was singing when they shut down the concert in episode 1 (I think Ranka sings it better than Sheryl does, however...and suddenly, the track on O.S.T. 1 called "What 'Bout My Star @Folmo" makes a LOT more sense...

No not that song...

The other song, the one when Alto and Sheryl were walking around town and all the Sheryl Ads started popping up, that was a song I haven't heard before

Ranka's cellphone turns out to be organic in nature.... according to the Japanese wiki entry

ケータイ君

ランカ愛用の携帯端末兼ロボットペット。有機系、生体系素材が多用されており、柔軟に形状を変え生物の様な挙動を見せる。

Some other new names at the ending credits.

ウィラン大尉

Captain Wiran - probably the pilot from M-Galaxy.

エルモ・クリダニク

Elmo Cridanic - who's this?? The would-be manager of Ranka?

Turns out the voice actor is the same guy doing the SMS Commander and the narration. (Tōru Ōkawa 大川 透)

Edited by Shun

2. Technically, it's not a "new" Sheryl song...it's the one she was singing when they shut down the concert in episode 1 (I think Ranka sings it better than Sheryl does, however...and suddenly, the track on O.S.T. 1 called "What 'Bout My Star @Folmo" makes a LOT more sense...

Did u guys have the OST track for this song?! is it released yet? (links pls :p)

No not that song...

The other song, the one when Alto and Sheryl were walking around town and all the Sheryl Ads started popping up, that was a song I haven't heard before

isn't that the same song that Ranka was singing at the mall? Title: "What 'Bout My Star"

Edited by Shun

No not that song...

like gubaba said... thats not a new song it was just interrupted

Another pleasant surprise of an episode... and that from just the RAW. Beautiful background art eye candy too.

Zentran district = WIN

I want to have a hippo-cow farm too!! ^_^

Edited by Twoducks

Trying to catch some stuff from the starting narration (my listening skills and understanding is very very limited :p pls correct me if i'm wrong)

Island 1 (the dome?) is the central, other than residential, it focuses on agriculture and resort, and is the FIFTH generation of migration fleets, it is virtually self-sufficient by recycling its air, water and organic materials, and stays green by not wasting so it need minimal replenishment. It is like a mini-Earth.

hmmm fifth generation. which ones?

Wow, this episode really surpassed my expectations, it was really awesome, lots of plot development too.

- The hippo-cows just made macross a lot more awesome than it was already, I loled very hard just by looking at them, they add a funny touch to the episode (reminds me of the Grape-hippos from Gurren-Lagan).

- I'm glad that they took their time showing the more gentle side of Sheryl, she was even acted cute in some parts.

- Poor Ranka, I really feel bad for her, looks like she lost her advantage in just one episode. On the other hand, I was really impressed by her performance, her cover of Sheryl's song was really great.

- I think Leon was able to vaporize/dissolve the Vajra because they kept it in what I think is the same substance they put Gilliam's corpse for recycling (poor guy, he died horribly and then they flush him like a goldfish into the toilet).

- It was great to see Zentradi living normally in their own ship and the whole zentradi farmers idea was really amusing.

- Sheryl's arousal in the locker was kinda...umm...explicit. I'm getting worried at the idea that in each episode they'll just keep putting more scenes with fanservice just for the sake of fanservice. It's fun and all, but too much and it's loses its impact.

- Yeah,bilra/bilrer/birura/whatchamacallhim wasn't Jeffrey Wilder afterall, it's someone else entirely, but at least I was right in that there was no way it was Brera Sterne. He looks zentradish too, seems like a conspiracy is on the works.

- That last scene with the quasi-destroyed fighter almost made me jump from my seat, for a moment I thought it was a VF-4 or the unknown VF from the OP. Too bad it was just a random spaceship (I still liked the the design though)

Cridanic? Wasn't it also Breetai surname?

And speaking of

Breetai... have you noticed that the misterious man on the phone with Leon has a strange head... seems to be big... and has some sort of faceplate on the right eye?

As for the

Vajira's evaporation, I had the impression it DID fold out of the canister.

Subs won't ever come out too soon. This series really rocks! Now, if only a certain rock band popped out of a fold I'wouldn't mind :)

I love every bit of Macross Frontier's mostly positive view of the future. It almost brought a tear to my eye. B))

Just imagine fifty years ago the "giants" were at war with humanity. Now they're fully integrated into the community living side by side and having fun together.

Good episode overall, I still don't like the vocal music in this show very much though.

- Frontier is self-sufficient and consists of a setup semi-similar to Macross 7.

- Ranka is being all princess-like now because Ozma kept being a pilot to himself, har.

- Threat of the Vajra has Leon contacting Birla and gathering people that know of them.

- Luca is a boobs man, it seems. :lol:

- Looks like there were more survivors of the 117th incident, they're the ones gathered in the room with Leon. *makes amendment to ep 4 script*

- Sheryl has never seen a full-sized Zentradi. The Galaxy apparently had no Zentradi on it and all the other ships she's been to has only had micronized ones. The Galaxy's environment is fairly different compared to the Frontier according to Sheryl and that's why she's so surprised by the Frontier.

- Zentradi Mall is awesome. Enka Singer PWNS! DECULTURE

- Sheryl loves all the large items, har. I found it amusing she started writing a new song on a pair of panties. Klein is way cooler full-grown and I liked her clothes.

- Lots of minor facts about the Vajra. Biological weapon and etc. Seems to be controlled

- Ranka's singing sequence is kind of cheesy, hah.

- Apparently, the Vajra was dormant until Ranka's singing started. It then seemed to pool some energy in a compartment near the top of its head then activated. Could it be!? SPIRITIA!?

- Love Triangle, go!

- Galaxy is attacked and someone gets away to request help, dun dun!

Edited by Shouta

Cridanic? Wasn't it also Breetai surname?

And speaking of

Breetai... have you noticed that the misterious man on the phone with Leon has a strange head... seems to be big... and has some sort of faceplate on the right eye?

As for the

Vajira's evaporation, I had the impression it DID fold out of the canister.

Subs won't ever come out too soon. This series really rocks! Now, if only a certain rock band popped out of a fold I'wouldn't mind :)

oh, if that is the case, that name might be referring to Breetai/Mr Vilra? He gets another name? -.-

I got that name from the ending credits so i dont know who they are referring to. There's no Mr Vilra voice actor credits there...

Already then. The Lobsters use SWAG as well as Folding. Can someone NOT tell me the end events of Zero have nothing to do with MF? and judging from the views ya'll provided, the Red Lobsters have 3 modes of flight? and externally controlled...

Lobsters = Bio-Ghosts CAV's? ^_^

Uhm Gugaga, Maybe you should rename your NANASE MATSUURA FAN CLUB to NANASE MATSUURA SUPPORT TEAM. It looks like she might need it in a couple of years.

;):p

Here we go with the breasts again. That didn't take long. :wacko:

Taksraven

Nice addition of the thrown Minmay doll.

I like Sheryl, she's funny.

Hippocows = awesome!

That ship from the Galaxy fleet looks like a decedent of the VF-4, but as it seems to lack "feet" parts, I wonder if it's even a variable fighter. I wonder if it's a civilian vehicle. I didn't see a gunpod (could be internally stored), and didn't see anything that looked like laser emitters.

Another excellent episode, the fact that the whole thing looked completely gorgeous doesnt hurt either, the attention to detail in every aspect of the animation was top notch, the backgrounds were jaw dropping. Comes to show that when Sateligh is at the top of their game, there's very little out there that can be compared to MacF in terms of production value.

I loved the locker scene, I found it pretty funny, and yes, I agree the whole perfomance scene at the mall was pretty strong, I can't wait for a sub so I can get more of the character moments, I like Sheryl more and more every episode, I hated her at first.

Ranka on the other side is still too cute, and I mean that as good thing, makes you feel what she's going through, I actually went "oh no" when she sees Sheryl saying bye to Alto LOL :lol:

I also enjoyed the fact that they showed a lot of the city, gives an idea of how massive the thing is, and what it must be like to live there.

I F

RI

CKIN' LOVE THIS SHOW!!!

SHERYL

QUOTES

MINMAY!

They say the Vajra are "living weapons" and everybody's shocked...? Dude, we figured that out MONTHS ago! And if they can vaporize a Vajra in captivity that quickly and easily, why can't they do that same out in space?

Whew! I'm a-gonna go watch it agin. Yee-haw, pardners.

I know its only a remote possibility, but does anybody think that its possible that the Vajra folded out of there rather than being disintergrated. I know its more likely that it was disintergrated, but still, looking at it it could be possible.

Taksraven

Already then. The Lobsters use SWAG as well as Folding. Can someone NOT tell me the end events of Zero have nothing to do with MF? and judging from the views ya'll provided, the Red Lobsters have 3 modes of flight? and externally controlled...

Lobsters = Bio-Ghosts CAV's? ^_^

Nah just crouching and standing, not really transforming like the valks.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

I suddenly want to visit San Fran... brilliant! Took until this episode to figure it out when all the hints were there from the start what with the cable-cars, suspension bridge, observatory and rolling hills.

Its not ALL San Fran though. The observatory that featured in Ep3 was clearly labelled Griffith Observatory and that is located in Los Angeles, not San Fran.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griffith_Observatory

I think its more likely that the colony ship has a combination of famous landmarks from around Earth.

Taksraven

- Apparently, the Vajra was dormant until Ranka's singing started. It then seemed to pool some energy in a compartment near the top of its head then activated. Could it be!? SPIRITIA!?

No, unless you think its a Protodeviln.

Oh, and by the way,

"Goodbye Sheryl" doesn't mean Sheryl is going away... but Alto and SMS are. They will leave Frontier aboard the Macross Carrier to save/investigate Macross Galaxy.

That's my prediction.

Thats what I suspect as well. I also predict that they will get to the Galaxy fleet too late, go back and find the Frontier fleet under a massive assault.

Taksraven

Oh, and by the way,

"Goodbye Sheryl" doesn't mean Sheryl is going away... but Alto and SMS are. They will leave Frontier aboard the Macross Carrier to save/investigate Macross Galaxy.

That's my prediction.

She's actually *planning* to leave as well, you see part of her farewell concert in the next episode preview.

the attention to detail in every aspect of the animation was top notch, the backgrounds were jaw dropping. Comes to show that when Sateligh is at the top of their game, there's very little out there that can be compared to MacF in terms of production value.

Except that character animation is "stiff", not at all fluid. Mind you, I really adore the series and I think the backgrounds are very well done, but I hope the animation quality improves in the next episodes.

Wow. That was good even without the dialogue, but I can't wait for the subs... stupid old keyboard.. *looks around for a spare F5 key*

That fighter at the end actually really reminded me of stuff from Yukikaze... dunno if it's capable of transforming or not though.

What confused me was why Sheryl had to go panty grabbing to write something down, when Alto apparently had paper handy already to make his planes like always. Maybe that'll be explained in the dialog later, but didn't make sense yet.

Also, did anyone happen to catch the early dialogue between Ozma and Ranka? I know they were discussing the pageant, but I'm wondering what the subject is.. the way Ozma's reading that paper, I wonder if he's mad about something like entry fees, and her taking the money without him knowing.

Btw, someone mentioned something about the plane above the high school not looking quite like a VF-1.. In most shots it's a little distorted, but you can definitely make out the shape and even some markings in the opening.

I sure would like to know what they were saying when in front of the Lobster dude. lol at the locker scene! Zent farmers! What type of fighter made the de-fold at the end?

:lol: Another great episode.

:lol:

When they got into the locker, I remember the preview from last one with Sheryl face expression. I was like "oh no they cant do that!" Bahahaha, of course, they did. This show keeps surprising me!

Yes, farmers and space farmers at that!

I love every bit of Macross Frontier's mostly positive view of the future. It almost brought a tear to my eye. B))

Just imagine fifty years ago the "giants" were at war with humanity. Now they're fully integrated into the community living side by side and having fun together.

It is a nice positive view, isn't it.

Given humanities current inability to get on with each other I hate to say but I think the chances of us living in harmony with a race of giant aliens are very remote. (And not just because giant aliens don't exist in our world.)

Taksraven

What confused me was why Sheryl had to go panty grabbing to write something down, when Alto apparently had paper handy already to make his planes like always. Maybe that'll be explained in the dialog later, but didn't make sense yet.

Also, did anyone happen to catch the early dialogue between Ozma and Ranka? I know they were discussing the pageant, but I'm wondering what the subject is.. the way Ozma's reading that paper, I wonder if he's mad about something like entry fees, and her taking the money without him knowing.

That fighter from M-Galaxy doesn't look like it can transform... no legs (might have been shot down though

:p)

Sheryl suddenly getting some inspiration - probably gonna write a new song about zentradi? U know when Sheryl gets determined to do something, she will just throw everything aside and do what she wants to. I love all the songs so far, will be great if they release more songs!

I think Ranka got suspended from school for taking part in Miss Macross F? Ozma got to know that Ranka was in that contest and he didn't have good impression of it (was it because of Cathy? she was a runner-up... :unsure: ). I think Ozma said that it was not possible for Ranka to win, and she got very upset started throwing stuff (mind u she's a 1/4 zent and naturally good marksman not even Ozma can dodge all :lol: ) and ran off.

BTW, notice many students actually recognize Ranka from that contest, so despite her failing to win it, she might really have that natural charisma or X-factor in her to make it big as a celeb. Even the bridge bunnies liked her ;)

I'm really starting to like Sheryl alot more! I really disliked her at first - her attitude, the way she play planks on Alto, tripping him etc... but now she's really growing on me... I think the Alto x Sheryl chemistry works better than Alto x Ranka...

Edited by Shun

No, unless you think its a Protodeviln.

The concept doesn't apply exactly to the PD only. They're just the silly ones to say it all the time and mmm tasty to them.

Actually, if my wild speculation is true, I could imagine a really interesting plot based around it, har.

I know its only a remote possibility, but does anybody think that its possible that the Vajra folded out of there rather than being disintergrated. I know its more likely that it was disintergrated, but still, looking at it it could be possible.

Taksraven

I think that's unlikely for two reasons: first, everyone would have been much more alarmed, and second, don't you think it would've then attacked the mall?

No, I think that lobster's gone to heaven...