Bandai 1/55 VF-1A Hikaru and VF-1A Max, with fast packs

CF18

2009 will mark the release of 1/55 Veritechs from the Robotech television series, with plans to eventually release all known 1/55 Valkyrie toys, including rare and exotic variants.

YES YES YES!!!!!!!! I CAN RESTART MY CHUNKY COLLECTION!!!!!! I had dold most of them off because needed....but not anymore!! WOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

:ph34r:

Very interesting, very positive news! Having a wider potential market outside of Japan makes it a little more likely that Bandai will roll-out other classic 1/55 Valk variants we've been wishing for - at least as far as the Strike is concerned, I think.

Remember, George Sohn was a 80s mecha toy collector back with Taka's Valks were the king of the skies. It must be a real personal joy for him for Toynami to be able to release these for the US.

You go, George!

I do hope they have some sort of box unique to the US market - even if it says Robotech.

I agree! I wonder how many people new and old collectors alike will purchase the 1/55s. Does anyone who buys in bulk have any ideas on customer demand so far?

I am curious of the same. Good question! I also got to thinking about the FP's though. I would rather have them be a darker color than the 2002 super valk like I think they will be. :( Well......whatevs....won't stop me.

I do hope they have some sort of box unique to the US market - even if it says Robotech.

If the boxes say Robotech I'd be thrilled if they were a throwback to the vintage Matchbox boxes. Gotta work that nostalgia! :D

If the boxes say Robotech I'd be thrilled if they were a throwback to the vintage Matchbox boxes. Gotta work that nostalgia! :D

Hey I don't care what kind of box it comes in as long as I can get 'em at a decent price...

so who's selling em cheapest!?

If you are looking for a store in the US. It would seem that BBTS is selling the FPed versions for the cheapest as of yet. For the non-FPed version...it would seem that LAFtoys.com has them for the lowest. Now that's just the stores that I shop at. There may be others that are selling them for a little less but I do not know.

EDIT-----> it would be Robotech.com that is selling the non-FPed versions for the cheapest.

Edited by misterryno

Hmmmm... no heat shield for the VF1J again. I wonder why not?

$80 sounds like a lot considering the VF1A Super's are going to be $85. As much as I want this to be successful so we can see more re-issues, I'll just stick with my vintage 1J and 1S, unless these drop down to at least $60.

$80 sounds like a lot considering the VF1A Super's are going to be $85. As much as I want this to be successful so we can see more re-issues, I'll just stick with my vintage 1J and 1S, unless these drop down to at least $60.

I do agree on that. I just need to get a VF-1J and a Roy VF-1S again now. I bet I can get them off of eBay for cheap.

I'd like to get excited about this, but I just can't, for various reasons.

1) This is happening 20 years too late. It's great that it's finally happening, but it's kinda sad that it's happening only now, when

2) Yamato is releasing a much nicer toy at the same time at almost the same price. I'd pay $100 in a heartbeat for a naked Yamato 1/60 perfect-variable VF-1, and $120 for the new VF-1 with fast packs is also very reasonable in my opinion. But

3) Bandai expects me to pay $90 for a 20 year old toy that's already been completely milked and looks, frankly, pretty ugly nowadays. I'd be happy to pay about $45 for it, but they raised the price instead, didn't they? I swear these were cheaper last time.

4) And we all know damn well that HG does not seriously intend to release any rare variants. That's up to Bandai, not HG, and the molds were scrapped anyway (so I've heard). The worst part is, HG knows this, and they are lying through their teeth. They know they'll never release the Elint or Super-O, and they know they're lying just to sell the few variants that Bandai will be releasing.

I know this post is not exactly a ray of sunshine, but let's not get our hopes up and believe HG's dishonest hype.

What the 1/55's look like and whether variants such as the Elintseeker get released is irrelevant in the long run.

What's significant here is that a major Japanese toy company has agreed to work with Toynami on getting their toys released in the USA. Bandai's gambit, and most importantly its financial outcome, could determine whether other companies such as Yamato and Kaiyodo do business with Toynami. Big West may not like Harmony Gold, but profits have a way of changing minds.

Chances are that's a photo of a sample of the previous edition. People shouldn't get too concerned about little details or colors until good, reliable photography of actual production samples is widely seen.

Edited by AcroRay

What the 1/55's look like and whether variants such as the Elintseeker get released is irrelevant in the long run.

What's significant here is that a major Japanese toy company has agreed to work with Toynami on getting their toys released in the USA. Bandai's gambit, and most importantly its financial outcome, could determine whether other companies such as Yamato and Kaiyodo do business with Toynami. Big West may not like Harmony Gold, but profits have a way of changing minds.

I agree, I'm no huge chunky fan but this could mean a LOT for many different reasons. Does this mean BW and HG are finally warming to each other again? Has money bridged the gap? This might mean a TON of GREAT things... or nothing at all.

4) And we all know damn well that HG does not seriously intend to release any rare variants. That's up to Bandai, not HG, and the molds were scrapped anyway (so I've heard). The worst part is, HG knows this, and they are lying through their teeth. They know they'll never release the Elint or Super-O, and they know they're lying just to sell the few variants that Bandai will be releasing.

I'd like to see some verifiable assurance that the original tooling for the Elint or Ostrich have been scrapped, thank you.

Regardless, it isn't that difficult to re-tool something from a vintage production example, or even a CAD model of it. Bandai's skill at tooling up plastic toy and hobby items is legendary. The only limitation is the $30-$40,000 it might cost to make the new tooling and the minimum expense for the production run (tampos for markings, packaging, marketing) to turn a profit - if profit is even an issue...

I'd suggest that the chances of seeing those rarer Valk variants reissued is more dependent on what sort of value Bandai places on the toys relative to the Macross "brand management" they seem to be flexing their muscle over recently. If they feel that releasing the GPB set, Ostrich, Strike and Elint variants is worthwhile to establish their market share against their smaller competitors' (Yamato, Hasegawa, even Toynami) products then they'll do it. Even if they lose a little money in the process. Its nothing for Bandai to release 20 thousand or so Strike Valkyries and lose money over it, if they wind-up in the hands of 20 thousand collectors who would have otherwise spent the purchasing power on Yamato's version.

I know this post is not exactly a ray of sunshine, but let's not get our hopes up and believe HG's dishonest hype.

:( You make me sad.

Quoted for TRUTH!

Its nothing for Bandai to release 20 thousand or so Strike Valkyries and lose money over it, if they wind-up in the hands of 20 thousand collectors who would have otherwise spent the purchasing power on Yamato's version.

Again....Quoted for SOOOOO MUCH TRUTH! You know you've been thinking it folks...you just need to agree with it.

In the previous page some people were getting excited about HG releasing Super-O's and every other 1/55 variation. That's mainly what I was responding to. But in the bigger picture, you're right, the implications are pretty exciting. Thanks for reminding us.

I'd like to see some verifiable assurance that the original tooling for the Elint or Ostrich have been scrapped, thank you.
It'd be nice to know for sure, but you'd be surpirsed at how many toy moulds really do get trashed or lost.

Regardless, it isn't that difficult to re-tool something from a vintage production example, or even a CAD model of it. Bandai's skill at tooling up plastic toy and hobby items is legendary. The only limitation is the $30-$40,000 it might cost to make the new tooling and the minimum expense for the production run (tampos for markings, packaging, marketing) to turn a profit - if profit is even an issue...

I'd suggest that the chances of seeing those rarer Valk variants reissued is more dependent on what sort of value Bandai places on the toys relative to the Macross "brand management" they seem to be flexing their muscle over recently. If they feel that releasing the GPB set, Ostrich, Strike and Elint variants is worthwhile to establish their market share against their smaller competitors' (Yamato, Hasegawa, even Toynami) products then they'll do it. Even if they lose a little money in the process. Its nothing for Bandai to release 20 thousand or so Strike Valkyries and lose money over it, if they wind-up in the hands of 20 thousand collectors who would have otherwise spent the purchasing power on Yamato's version.

That's a pretty interesting angle that hasn't even occured to me. But I very much doubt Bandai would go to the expense of re-doing the Super O and Elint when they could more effectively compete with Yamato by releasing the Strike and Super valks that most casual Macross fans want. I don't think the DYRL Ostrich and Elint would sell as well as MWers think. Edited by danth

My contact at Toynamic indicated the only CHANGE with the packaging is that it will have a Toynami logo on the box. Other than that, that's all that is expected. I guess we'll see....

One thing I am curious about is that orignally Toycom was willing to pay both royalties to Big West and HG to release the Macross Plus Valkyries. Assuming these 1/55s will outsourced for production through Bandai, I'm wondering if royalties are now being paid out to both BW and HG....

Back in the day with the Macross Plus toys, BW dismissed the idea of having royalties paid to HG for the Valkyries to hit stateside....Did they bow down to the almighty dollar now???

Either way, it's all good news for fans...I can't complain...

-Kevin

Edited by VALKYRIE-EXCHANGE.COM

&%$#!! Looks like i'll be picking up some of these. I didn't want to, but I really want a Strike, Elint and O. I might as well pick up the rest of the DYRL? crew.

At first I was thinking the same. I just broke down and put a pre-order in for the Super VF-1As though.

It'd be nice to know for sure, but you'd be surpirsed at how many toy moulds really do get trashed or lost.

Having worked in the toy industry a bit, I would not be surprised. They wear, collapse, rust, become obsolete. You might be surprised, however, to know just how much gets greedily stored up for decades waiting for a buyer with deep enough pockets. ;) I've seen tools from the 50s & 60s ready for use, snapped up at auction or left setting in storage.

(BTW: Ask Toynami about a couple of Rhesarus' products...)

Having worked in the toy industry a bit, I would not be surprised. They wear, collapse, rust, become obsolete. You might be surprised, however, to know just how much gets greedily stored up for decades waiting for a buyer with deep enough pockets. ;) I've seen tools from the 50s & 60s ready for use, snapped up at auction or left setting in storage.

(BTW: Ask Toynami about a couple of Rhesarus' products...)

Is that the megahouse palm action nikick in your avatar?

One thing I am curious about is that orignally Toycom was willing to pay both royalties to Big West and HG to release the Macross Plus Valkyries. Assuming these 1/55s will outsourced for production through Bandai, I'm wondering if royalties are now being paid out to both BW and HG....

Established Japanese companies have a had a long history of not doing business with newcomers, no matter how much money they might have to offer. Its part of their business culture. Often, a company will have to 'prove' itself before a Japanese business like Bandai will work with them. My suspicion is that Toynami has simply 'proven' themselves as a reliable potential partner with a strong business record and catalog of successful products. (Much as that may chafe some of Toynami's critics. :p )

Toynami is probably simply ordering quantities of Valks from Bandai, getting in on the initial production runs and helping to defray Bandai's costs with their purchase. Repackaging them probably isn't a worthwhile endeavor anyway. The majority of the toy's potential buyers would be perfectly accepting of Japanese/Engrish-language packaging graphics.

I wonder what the chances are of Toynami distributing Soul of Chogokin toys. The idea of a company so well known for crappy toys releasing some of the most excellent toys ever made is sort of mind-boggling, but I'd be all for it.

&%$#!! Looks like i'll be picking up some of these. I didn't want to, but I really want a Strike, Elint and O. I might as well pick up the rest of the DYRL? crew.
Damn...that's exactly what Toynami wants you to think.

But to be fair, if the Super O or Elint is re-released, I'll eat my knickers.

Damn...that's exactly what Toynami wants you to think.

But to be fair, if the Super O or Elint is re-released, I'll eat my knickers.

I don't believe you. When/If it DOES happen....We want pics of you eating your knickers.

Shameless plug....

Preorders coming soon from the Valkyrie Exchange!

-K

Hey Kevin, do you know what the deal is with Toynami charging $79.99 for the VF-1J, and yet having the Super Valkyries for only $5 more? I figure the armorless valkyries should be more cheaper than $5 less.

Anyways I am glad we are seeing these officially released stateside, I never thought this would happen. A childhood dream has come true.

1) This is happening 20 years too late. It's great that it's finally happening, but it's kinda sad that it's happening only now, when

2) Yamato is releasing a much nicer toy at the same time at almost the same price. I'd pay $100 in a heartbeat for a naked Yamato 1/60 perfect-variable VF-1, and $120 for the new VF-1 with fast packs is also very reasonable in my opinion. But

Yeah but see Matchbox/HG tried to bring over the valkyries here 20 years ago, but Hasbro got in their way.

I am excited than most on this board for the new 1/60 VF-1, don't get me wrong. I'd be a lot less optimistic if Toynami themselves were doing the 1/55, as opposed to Bandai. The way I see it, we get an affordable way to obtain a timeless toy, as opposed to years back paying vintage prices for the same thing. Its never been outright said whether the DYRL armors were destroyed or not, its been said the HCM molds were, but I haven't heard a thing concerning DYRL armors. The 1/55 is a classic toy, and a part of history. What other transforming toy was like it during its time? I'm glad I have the opportunity to buy both the old toys, and the new stuff. I don't have to enjoy one over the other if I can enjoy all of them.

Hey for some reason I get the hint Bandai is taking over development of Toynami's 1/100 line and introducing HCMpro valkyries with it. Think about it, similar price and scale.....and its been how long since we've heard the FAST packs would be out, or any news about them?

I am glad Toynami is distributing Bandai goods, I trust Bandai.