Macross Frontier and Fansubs

Duke Togo

i think we're using the same client. if so:

- check the right pane and look for the bot you want eg. arutha, thunder..

- right click on the bot's name and choose "query"

- on the bottom of the window that pops up, type "XDCC send x"

Maror Focker,

Thanks for your help. It was nice of you to help a fellow Macross fan.

If someone who has downloaded the Thora release is willing to use OGMCleaver to pull the .ass subtitles from each episode, I'll remove the ridiculous honorifics retime them to work with the better quality (and non karaoke'd) raws that are out there).

Edited by Sketch

There was no reason for them to continually pollute the screen with Karaoke, let alone hardsubbed, animated, Karaoke. Bunch of typical weboos.

That's during the op only, right?

Also what is with the awful encoding? Their release somehow manages to look worse than the Chinese POPGO releases, while having much larger filesizes.

How actually is Thora's encoding bad? The file size is big, but Thora's releases all compress as little as possible for the sake of "transparency".

Personally, I find that Thora's video (~600MB) look the same as the HDTV-ripped one (~300MB) -- well, I didn't pause to view fast-motion scenes, since that's not how I watch a show. So if you say Thora release is bigger than necessary, yes, possibly. However, the less compression, the better, and HD space is cheap.

I checked POPGO 720p release notes and it's around 1.5GB for 3 episodes? That's 500MB per episode, not much smaller.

Personally, I find that Thora's video (~600MB) look the same as the HDTV-ripped one (~300MB)

Except they don't. There is detail you can see in the THORA releases that you just can't see in the TV HD rips.

That's during the op only, right?

The OP and the first ED, but that's all that's got the karaoke hardsubs from what I can tell. There are lyrics for other music, but they're all softsubbed.

Except they don't. There is detail you can see in the THORA releases that you just can't see in the TV HD rips.

Agreed there. While it's not as dramatic as I've seen with some past series(such as moving from old TV/VHS to DVD), it's still quite a nice step up, and file size isn't a significant worry to me right now. 600MB for one of these vs. 400MB for the TV rips I had is bigger, but I can live.

The OP and the first ED, but that's all that's got the karaoke hardsubs from what I can tell. There are lyrics for other music, but they're all softsubbed.

Unless they've done V2's I remember lots of hardsubbed garbage over concert scenes.

Anyhow, I've deleted them since, I'd rather have softsubbed TV rips than weaboo BluRay rips.

Maybe you must just extract the subs from the MKV's files and modify them to your taste

Which would be fine and dandy if they hadn't hard-subbed their ridiculous karaoke. When a subber does that, basically they're saying "I don't care if we break your immersion, our masturbatory text effects are more important than the show you're watching, also I have no respect for the creators of the show."

Having said that, if someone would be kind enough to rip their subs using OGMcleaver, zip them up, and chuck them on RS or Mega-upload I'd be happy to time them to a good set of raws, or even the popgo release (if they ever do volume 9)

I'll said it again, extract them

Instead of complaining, you should learn how the MKV format works

Hint: search google for Mkvextractgui

I understand how it works quite well, I frequently de-weaboo and edit fansubs for my personal archive. I just don't feel like downloading the entire Thora set just to discard the video. I'll probably end up doing it anyways.

PS. I prefer OGMcleaver for demuxing streams from video files.

Edited by Sketch

Ok, ok, I take back what I said.

First pair of images - detailed 2d art.

post-128-1248356463_thumb.png post-128-1248356518_thumb.png

Second pair - 3d scene.

post-128-1248356758_thumb.png post-128-1248356830_thumb.png

Third pair - normal character scene.post-128-1248356908_thumb.png post-128-1248356975_thumb.png

The last pair of images are what I have in mind when I said there's no difference. The HDTV-rip looks more blur, but a little sharpening works wonders. The defocused background helps. (The scene simply isn't very detailed.)

When I first saw the HDTV-rip, I double-checked if it weren't a BL-rip. Then, I was disappointed that the BL "looked the same". Now that I compared the images side-by-side, it's clear the BL-rip is better.

(Note: images are around 1MB each.)

Edited by nhyone

• 2 weeks later...
Whatever for? We need better subs, not a new rip.

I am planning on doing the DVD fansubs for myself and to release on Animebyt.es. I already have the Raw Macross Frontier Isos, and I want to try fansubing them myself rather then wasting my Asian DVD Club ratio on Blinx01's fansubs. No subs are perfect, but I have corrected several errors I have noticed with the dialogue in Thora's subs. Until I find reliable Macross Frontier lyrics, I am not even going to touch Thora's song lyrics. If your interested in just the subs I will gladly post my edited Subs to rapidshare or something right after my DVD fansub release is finally completed and posted on Animebyt.es.

Wow! Great comparison pictures. You can really see the difference.

In case anyone doesn't want to click on the images separately, I've put them side-by-side for easy comparison: Macross Frontier: HDTV vs BluRay

Notes

1. The images are in JPEG, not PNG, but I've not observed any diff at 100%.

2. Drag to move the images around. The two images will move in sync.

3. Double-click to zoom out. (Not useful)

In case anyone doesn't want to click on the images separately, I've put them side-by-side for easy comparison: Macross Frontier: HDTV vs BluRay

Notes

1. The images are in JPEG, not PNG, but I've not observed any diff at 100%.

2. Drag to move the images around. The two images will move in sync.

3. Double-click to zoom out. (Not useful)

WOW! That's some very nice work, nhyone. Well done!

Hey there, I have a question regarding Macross Frontier with THORA subs. I posed it in another thread so I'll just repeat it here in quote form as I don't want to search this thread to see if it has been covered in detail. Thanks for any help anyone can provide me.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask it, but I can always be advised otherwise I suppose.

Is there a way to edit sub files in such a way to make some subs not appear but keep others there?

Example time to explain:

I recently downloaded the entire Macross Frontier series via THORA subs (the ones that use the BD rips so they look extra nice). However I am having some problems with playback of some episodes, in which certain parts start lagging a bit. I have determined through several viewings this seems to be a result of there being too much going on on the screen during scenes with songs in them and constant dialogue or action happening at the same time. This is most likely a problem stemming originally from my computer having a lackluster graphics card. Since that can't be helped I was wondering if there is a way to edit the sub files for these episodes so I could not have the song lyric subtitles show and just the normal speech subtitles remain. I know the songs and have seen the whole show before with them so I wouldn't be missing much there.

I have used the program Aegisub before which was useful in editing GG's sub files to match Raw Frontier episodes before I got this new batch but Thora does something different to what I've seen before. I'm not sure if the subs here are combined with the episodes (which of course would mean I can't do much at this point) or if there is a separate file for them. The thing is there are two extra files with all the episodes, one of which is a .md5 file and is something I have never seen before.

Basically I am calling on any sub expert to help me out here, since it seems my computer fails to be able to handle subtitles for a song and speech in a scene without the video lagging up (this is especially noticeable in action scenes), I am hoping there is a way I can set it to only show the speech subtitles. If that is not possible with this particular set here then I'll just have to live with it I suppose.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I've read through the past couple pages seeing my problem was addressed at all earlier. I've seen a lot of conflicting comments though, so I need to know:

Are the song lyric subtitles hardsubbed into all the Thora episodes and therefor impossible to remove or can it be done? Because this is all I want to do since both song and speech subtitles happening and the same time lags up the video for me.

I have no problem with Thora's subs otherwise and although I've seen various grammatical errors here and there it doesn't bother me enough to want something else, it is just that I don't need the song lyrics anymore. They were nice when watching the show first time through, not anymore.

Also keep in mind I am not an expert about subs and how all this works so I might not understand all the jargon.

Ok, ok, I take back what I said.

First pair of images - detailed 2d art.

post-128-1248356463_thumb.png post-128-1248356518_thumb.png

Second pair - 3d scene.

post-128-1248356758_thumb.png post-128-1248356830_thumb.png

Third pair - normal character scene.post-128-1248356908_thumb.png post-128-1248356975_thumb.png

The last pair of images are what I have in mind when I said there's no difference. The HDTV-rip looks more blur, but a little sharpening works wonders. The defocused background helps. (The scene simply isn't very detailed.)

When I first saw the HDTV-rip, I double-checked if it weren't a BL-rip. Then, I was disappointed that the BL "looked the same". Now that I compared the images side-by-side, it's clear the BL-rip is better.

(Note: images are around 1MB each.)

I'm guessing this is stuff only available via torrent?

Ive been looking for a long time for 1080p versions of the bluray rips and the only complete set I could find was by qyq. I downloaded that and am ready to start syncing subs to it. What Im wondering though is of the popgo version which I just heard about. Searching for that version I found a complete set. It seems like the one by popgo is already translated? Is this correct, if it is Ill just download that version but if for any reason its not up to par in anyway Ill just keep looking for subs to sync with the qyq version. Dont really want to redownload an entire 1080p rip again.

The only scripts I can find are by gg which doesnt have 1-6 for some reason and the subs at the macross share website which Ive been wondering was done by who? Does anyone have any other suggestions? Are there any groups still finishing thier subs that I should wait for? Once I get some clarification Ill start syncing and when Im done Ill upload the subs.

Edit: forgot to mention that according to their website the thora subs are by aogm.

Edited by The346L3

Ive been looking for a long time for 1080p versions of the bluray rips and the only complete set I could find was by qyq. I downloaded that and am ready to start syncing subs to it. What Im wondering though is of the popgo version which I just heard about.

Does anyone know if the 1080p version shows more details? (It should, but you never know.) Screenshots will be nice.

For example, I compared Thora's 720p and 1080p versions of Utawarerumono and the difference is very very slight. (Of course, the show itself does not have very detailed art.) I'll stick to the 720p until we get 3840x2160 resolution.

To Keith: you can download the files from Thora's IRC channel. Instructions are in earlier posts.

To Master Dex: you can turn off subtitles to tell which are soft-subs (and thus editable). Hardsubs cannot be turned off.

Does it take much CPU time to render subs?

Some MKV tools have been listed in earlier posts. You should be able to extract the subs and do whatever you want.