Macross Frontier and Fansubs

Duke Togo

Skipped through episode 9 of the BD THORA release, the train wreck of Macross Frontier. Noticed they did small fixes on some parts but mostly unchanged. I wasn't keeping my hopes up either since the episode was so badly animated that no amount of fixing can help it, unless everything was reanimated.

I also just realised that this episode has the most anime "deformed" facial expressions in the whole Frontier series. Kinda sticks out like a sore thumb since it doesn't jive with the look and feel for the rest of the series.

Skipped through episode 9 of the BD THORA release, the train wreck of Macross Frontier. Noticed they did small fixes on some parts but mostly unchanged. I wasn't keeping my hopes up either since the episode was so badly animated that no amount of fixing can help it, unless everything was reanimated.

I also just realised that this episode has the most anime "deformed" facial expressions in the whole Frontier series. Kinda sticks out like a sore thumb since it doesn't jive with the look and feel for the rest of the series.

Episode 9? Surely you must mean episode 8.

Yes, even though I know who the green-haired girl is, LOL, I'm still a noob. Very much so, actually, as I've just recently begun to expand my interest for anime. Sorry 'bout that. ;)

Okay, so I bought the 4 Blu-Ray discs of Macross Frontier, as I got a good feeling about the show. I read here people are actually learning Japanse. I'd love to do that too, but it'd probaby take me the better part of a century to master the language. :) So, in the interim, I'll settle for subtitles.

Which is where my question comes in. I'm currently doing a high-quality reencoding of the Blu-Rays with hard-coded subs, in a streamable format for my PS3. I found several mkv files, by AonE-Gekkostate-Menclave (I take it those folks made the subs?). It has nice Substation Alpha subs in them. Just what the Doctor ordered. I already processed Ep. 1, but I can't find the subs for Episode 1, the 'Deculture' version. So, I was wondering whether someone could point me to them (assuming they exist at all).

Much obliged.

EDIT: On rapidshare, I found:

http://rapidshare.com/files/133649829/_Q-R...tion.part01.rar

But it seems password protected. Sigh. :( So, does anyone know the password for it?

Edited by rankafan

Yes, even though I know who the green-haired girl is, LOL, I'm still a noob. Very much so, actually, as I've just recently begun to expand my interest for anime. Sorry 'bout that. ;)

Okay, so I bought the 4 Blu-Ray discs of Macross Frontier, as I got a good feeling about the show. I read here people are actually learning Japanse. I'd love to do that too, but it'd probaby take me the better part of a century to master the language. :) So, in the interim, I'll settle for subtitles.

Which is where my question comes in. I'm currently doing a high-quality reencoding of the Blu-Rays with hard-coded subs, in a streamable format for my PS3. I found several mkv files, by AonE-Gekkostate-Menclave (I take it those folks made the subs?). It has nice Substation Alpha subs in them. Just what the Doctor ordered. I already processed Ep. 1, but I can't find the subs for Episode 1, the 'Deculture' version. So, I was wondering whether someone could point me to them (assuming they exist at all).

Much obliged.

EDIT: On rapidshare, I found:

http://rapidshare.com/files/133649829/_Q-R...tion.part01.rar

But it seems password protected. Sigh. :( So, does anyone know the password for it?

Just get THORA's subs since they're timed right for the Blu-Ray releases and they're absically taking the best from each subber and amalgamating it into on sub.

Just get THORA's subs since they're timed right for the Blu-Ray releases and they're absically taking the best from each subber and amalgamating it into on sub.

Agreed.

http://www.thoranime.org/

There are other shows that are much better for learning Japanese than Macross. Much much better.

Thanks!! His subs rock! Impeccable timing and positioning. There's even annotation inside. Incredible! I can't imagine how much work must go into making these, but I'm very grateful to you subbers out there!

And for a cool extra bonus, I changed the .ass file to display at 1920x1080 (because I'm reencoding the Blu-Rays at 1080p, with hardcoded subs, so I can stream em to my PS3), and the subs look actually much better positioned than they do at the 'original' 720p setting.

While I'm at it, can the THORA subs be downloaded other than via torrents? I found Ep. 1-7 of the THORA releases posted on usenet, but can’t seem to locate 8-10 yet.

Have you checked their IRC channel?

Have you checked their IRC channel?

Thanks. Didn´t even know they had an IRC channel. :) I did, at long last, find the subs, though, at:

http://getfansub.com/wiki/Macross_Frontier

So, I'm fully up to speed now.

N.B. Sorry for being 'difficult', but with all the crackdown on p2p networks, I'd rather not install that stuff. Nothing beats a good old-fashioned download. ;)

To whoever it may concern, just a small observation on the ottherwise superb THORA subs:

In Ep. 7, there's an unprintable character (appears as just a box), at:

Dialogue: 0,0:01:02: Please-

The dash character was an unprintable variation thereof. And here, in Ep. 10,

0,0:19:25: All right, here we go! Scene 47, Cut 11

I think this should probably be Take 11.

I am extremely EXTREMELY grateful and excited to hear this THORA guy is doing fan subs ripped from the bluray release of MF. That is amazing and I plan on donating to him later on when I get some cash.

Do you guys think he will be done subbing the whole series by say, June? I don't want to grab anything until the entire series is fully subbed so I can just sit down and watch it in one sitting ;)

THORA if you're out there reading this, thanks man :)

I am extremely EXTREMELY grateful and excited to hear this THORA guy is doing fan subs ripped from the bluray release of MF. That is amazing and I plan on donating to him later on when I get some cash.

Do you guys think he will be done subbing the whole series by say, June? I don't want to grab anything until the entire series is fully subbed so I can just sit down and watch it in one sitting ;)

IMO, I'd rather get them ASAP since there's bound to be a higher number of seeders on the torrents when they come out.

I think that might depend on the rate at which the disks are released. I also thought he was using a combination of Menclave's and Shinsen's subs for the actual subtitling, which may pose a problem after disk 4: Neither of these two groups bothered to sub anything past ep 15, which was put out (very very late, I might add) all the way back in October. And that was after a very very long break where nothing came out from either since around the Sep 1. Strange that neither group has listed it as a "dropped" project, but clearly no one is bothering to do much work on it, at least.

Anyway, agreed: Thora (whoever you guys are) deserve a massive thank you from the MW community, and from english-speaking Macross fans in general. Now if we could just talk you guys into releasing 1080p versions I'd be in heaven ...

Seriously, though, if anyone hasn't checked these out, you absolutely must. The encoding - even in 720p - is just breathtaking and light years ahead in quality compared to the earlier fansubs (which only had the HD television broadcast to work with). You should see it in motion on my 52" screen ... holy moly.

im using gotsent to convert macross frontier mkv files to mp4 but it takes hours to convert them. if i use tsmuxer, the subs disappear and i get no sounds too. i guess it wont do aac streams and ass subs. same thing mkv2vob no subs. =( just wanna watch macross frontier on my ps3

is there any other way to convert the series on the ps3? m2ts and vob files are not doing it for me and converting to mp4 takes hours

edit

just finished converting a thora version....it looks amazing on the 52" LCD screen

Edited by Vegas

im using gotsent to convert macross frontier mkv files to mp4 but it takes hours to convert them. if i use tsmuxer, the subs disappear and i get no sounds too. i guess it wont do aac streams and ass subs. same thing mkv2vob no subs. =( just wanna watch macross frontier on my ps3

is there any other way to convert the series on the ps3? m2ts and vob files are not doing it for me and converting to mp4 takes hours

edit

just finished converting a thora version....it looks amazing on the 52" LCD screen

Here is how I get my Macross Frontier onto my TV:

1. Get THORA 720p or QYQ's 1080p source (raw).

2a If using THORA, use XVID4PSP to hardcode subs to mkv w/ AC3 audio. This may take awhile.

2b If using QYQ, extract subs from the THORA version and remux them into the QYQ video (use mkvtoolnix), then use XVID4PSP.

3. Then use mkv2vob and select m2ts as output.

The problem you are having is probably with the audio standard. For best compatibility, you MUST use AC3 audio. XVID4PSP will hardcode the subs and fix the audio for you. MKV2VOB will recpackage the mkv into a fully compatible m2t file. I don't know the exact audio settings, so I let mkv2vob do the final recpacking.

The convenience of all this will depend on your computer. My old compy took 15-20 hours to hardcode one episode, but my new build can do it in 2-3 hours. The quality difference isn't huge but I go through the trouble just because i'm obsessive.

Edited by OptimusX

Here is how I get my Macross Frontier onto my TV:

1. Get THORA 720p or QYQ's 1080p source (raw).

2a If using THORA, use XVID4PSP to hardcode subs to mkv w/ AC3 audio. This may take awhile.

2b If using QYQ, extract subs from the THORA version and remux them into the QYQ video (use mkvtoolnix), then use XVID4PSP.

3. Then use mkv2vob and select m2ts as output.

The problem you are having is probably with the audio standard. For best compatibility, you MUST use AC3 audio. XVID4PSP will hardcode the subs and fix the audio for you. MKV2VOB will recpackage the mkv into a fully compatible m2t file. I don't know the exact audio settings, so I let mkv2vob do the final recpacking.

The convenience of all this will depend on your computer. My old compy took 15-20 hours to hardcode one episode, but my new build can do it in 2-3 hours. The quality difference isn't huge but I go through the trouble just because i'm obsessive.

thanks optimusx

ive converted all thora releases to mp4's and the eps looked amazing!

qyq's 1080p releases should be even better for sure

May I ask how you did that? I downloaded eps 1-3 from Thora using Vuse as my toorent, but what do I need to do so I can burn this to a disk? I was able to do it with the old .avi files but have no clue how to mak these new THORA ones work much less burn them to disk so i can enjoy the better pic res. since I just got a 52 lcd myself. Can anyone help....please!

Chris

I think that might depend on the rate at which the disks are released. I also thought he was using a combination of Menclave's and Shinsen's subs for the actual subtitling, which may pose a problem after disk 4: Neither of these two groups bothered to sub anything past ep 15, which was put out (very very late, I might add) all the way back in October. And that was after a very very long break where nothing came out from either since around the Sep 1. Strange that neither group has listed it as a "dropped" project, but clearly no one is bothering to do much work on it, at least.

Anyway, agreed: Thora (whoever you guys are) deserve a massive thank you from the MW community, and from english-speaking Macross fans in general. Now if we could just talk you guys into releasing 1080p versions I'd be in heaven ...

Seriously, though, if anyone hasn't checked these out, you absolutely must. The encoding - even in 720p - is just breathtaking and light years ahead in quality compared to the earlier fansubs (which only had the HD television broadcast to work with). You should see it in motion on my 52" screen ... holy moly.

Macross Frontier, Blu-Ray disc 5 has already been released. So, i really hope THORA and team will continue subbing.

May I ask how you did that? I downloaded eps 1-3 from Thora using Vuse as my toorent, but what do I need to do so I can burn this to a disk? I was able to do it with the old .avi files but have no clue how to mak these new THORA ones work much less burn them to disk so i can enjoy the better pic res. since I just got a 52 lcd myself. Can anyone help....please!

Chris

you need to convert those .mkv video files to mp4, m2ts or vob so you can play them thru your ps3. i used gotsent but it takes awhile to transcode a video. or you can do what optimusx did.

For what it's worth, I was about to shell out for a full-fledged home theater pc when I came across this:

WD TV

You just connect any usb hard drive to this thing, and it can spit video out over an hdmi cable in 1080p. It does read subtitles from mkv containers, but it isn't as nicely formatted as MPC can give you and it's kind of hit and miss with some codecs (particuarly DTS encoded sound ... hoping the next patch fixes that) ... still, for $99 I'd recommend it to anyone.

Anyway, anyone looking to save yourself a LOT of trouble re-encoding these things just to watch them on your TV might want to give this a look. :)

For what it's worth, I was about to shell out for a full-fledged home theater pc when I came across this:

WD TV

You just connect any usb hard drive to this thing, and it can spit video out over an hdmi cable in 1080p. It does read subtitles from mkv containers, but it isn't as nicely formatted as MPC can give you and it's kind of hit and miss with some codecs (particuarly DTS encoded sound ... hoping the next patch fixes that) ... still, for $99 I'd recommend it to anyone.

Anyway, anyone looking to save yourself a LOT of trouble re-encoding these things just to watch them on your TV might want to give this a look. :)

Ah so this does play MKVs. I was wondering when I saw this earlier. I'm kind of tired of converting videos all the time for the PS3. Does it show the stylized subtitles (that are usually in fansubs) or just plain white text?

anyone that needs help converting

http://animeted.wordpress.com/2008/07/03/h...itles-embedded/

I've been converting to M2TS files with hard subs for use on the PS3.

Edited by bandit29

I honestly wish the THORA subs (for eps 10-14, and all, really) would become available other than through torrents. I love Macross Frontier, but I'm not gonna run a trojan-ridden p2p network just to get the subs, and, worse, get the RIAA busting down my door because of it. p2p networks are rapidly becoming illegal anyway.

Besides, I don't want to download gigs of episodes, either: I have the Blu-Rays; I just want the THORA subs!

So, if someone would please be kind enough to upload these subs to rapidshare or some such, I would be most grateful.

Thanks

WD TV

No offence, but it looks pretty crappy to me. Seems they go out of their way to avoid saying they support no HD audio of any kind: just DD 5.1 (and even that is questionable, as the specs say Dolbly Digital is only output at 2 channels!). And, no DTS, from the looks of it, either. Let alone multi-channel LPCM; or any LPCM variant, for that matter (Macross Frontier = LPCM 2.0!).

So, I won't be ditching my PS3 for this piece of fei-oo any time soon. :)