Macross Frontier and Fansubs

Duke Togo

Either what the Duke said, or it might be time for an upgrade. With Intel's Core i7 coming out in the next few months, core 2 duo prices are bound to be coming down. So you might want to save those HD files for when the price of an upgrade become something practical for you.

Or you could be like me who was forced to upgrade 'cuz his old PC's motherboard gave out (right before the final episode aired too). :(

Edited by d3v

Are there any free video players that will play the blue ray rips? None of mine seem to do.

What's the filetype? If their MKVs, you'll need something that supports Matroksa like VLC or MPC (as well as the proper codec packs).

Sigh, I'll say it again. MKV's are simply ahead of their time. The reason people are having trouble with them is because they aren't made for the types of systems most people have. They're made for UBER-SUPER-HIGH-END-EXPENSIVE systems. That said, there is nothing wrong with MKV's and h.264, but the standard from AVI to MKV has happened way before it should have. Fansubbers need to realize this so that in the future, anime fans won't have this problem again. :)

Sigh, I'll say it again. MKV's are simply ahead of their time. The reason people are having trouble with them is because they aren't made for the types of systems most people have. They're made for UBER-SUPER-HIGH-END-EXPENSIVE systems. That said, there is nothing wrong with MKV's and h.264, but the standard from AVI to MKV has happened way before it should have. Fansubbers need to realize this so that in the future, anime fans won't have this problem again. :)

MKVs are a container format.

http://www.matroska.org/

* It is NOT a video or audio compression format (video codec)

* It is an envelope for which there can be many audio, video and subtitles streams, allowing the user to store a complete movie or CD in a single file.

The issue is many people who are using MKVs are encoding the video in h.264 or some new video codec.

The question now is, what are the minimum recommended specifications for playing .MKVs with video encoded in h.264 - specifically, the HD releases of Frontier?

Just for reference though, I'm able to play them fine with an Intel E7200 Core 2 Duo with 2GB of RAM and no video card (ran out of money, using the built in Intel GMA video).

The question now is, what are the minimum recommended specifications for playing .MKVs with video encoded in h.264 - specifically, the HD releases of Frontier?

Just for reference though, I'm able to play them fine with an Intel E7200 Core 2 Duo with 2GB of RAM and no video card (ran out of money, using the built in Intel GMA video).

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=106628

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide/hd/recommendations.html

Seems to depend on the video quality.

Does anyone know of a software that can hard encode .ssa or .ass subtitle files into an avi?

I tried alltoavi software and the timing and font styles are off.

You'll need to re-encode the AVI. You'll also need to be sure that you are using the correct sub script that matches the video. If you are using the gg scripts, you'll need to find a non-MBS broadcast raw (They used mostly TBS or CBC broadcasts). Or edit the sub file to match the timing.

Time to watch Frontier...

AMD (1802 MHz)

Memory: 1024 MB

Microsoft Windows XP

Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 9600/9550/X1050 Series x86/MMX/3DNow!/SSE2

Maybe I need to download the smaller Luna files, but I'd hate to sacrifice video quality for such a beautifully animated series.

Any computer experts have any ideas or suggestions?

Yeah unfortunately High rez HD files need a pretty beefy system to run them on... It would be a good idea to invest in a modern PCI-E graphics card and a dual core proccessor with some extra ram. 2gbs should be enough...

It sounds expensive but right now you can get a really nice graphics card for 150 or less. Processor prices have gone down a lot too. I have a friend that spent only 300 dollars on all the base components he needed including the mouse keyboard and chassis. Not only can it play HD files, it can run the latest games too. www.pricewatch.com is a good site to find good comp hardware over the net... www.newegg.com is another good site.

I noticed a bit of a difference with the MKV compared to AVI, but it's not that much of a wow factor. Atleast for my lapptop screen anyways...

HP 17 incher with the MKV looks beautiful though! I'm pissed it takes me so long to get epsidoes downloaded, last weekend i got episodes 2 - 4

Lunar MKV, but between the weekend i got crappy internet speed. :( Stupid minning town.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Yeah unfortunately High rez HD files need a pretty beefy system to run them on... It would be a good idea to invest in a modern PCI-E graphics card and a dual core proccessor with some extra ram. 2gbs should be enough...

Actually, since I can run h.264 mkvs fine even if I'm only using the motherboard's built in graphics card, I say a dual-core and 2gbs of RAM is all you need. Especially if you're not really into PCs games and don't want to buy a graphics card yet.

MKV blu-ray rips of Macross Frontier and Macross Zero run pretty good on my e-machine lol hardly a pc powerhouse :lol: updating codecs helps. MPC player with ffdshow decoder made a big difference in performance.

now if only the PS3 could run mkv files...that would save me so much time... <_<

I am getting an error with some of my Lunar MKV files (8, 10 etc) whilst others are fine.

Is there a patch or something i should install to make sure it renders properly?

The error reads - "Cannot render the file"

Any help please guys would be heaps appreciated. :) Using media player classic with the CCCP codec patch.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

1) Make sure CCCP is latest.

2) Make sure the files are not corrupted, although it shouldn't happen if you use BT to download them The CRC32 is in the filename between [ and ]. I use hashtab to check them under windows.

just checked mine through again (up to epi 19) they are magically working again, don't know what it was b^tchin about, but it's all ok now. (already downloaded the latest CCCP)

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Well, gg AVI by veffidas is a good choice. :)

I've been downloading the higher quality ones (MKV) i'll see if GG subs has that type. Thanks. :D

:edit:

[got all the lunar epis (MKV) downloaded! phew!] Now, to plan for the marathon.... heh heh

Thankyou Lunar! And every other Subber for all your hard work and efforts!

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie