Macross Frontier and Fansubs

Duke Togo

I thought Shinsen had disbanded, so I was watching gattai and then gg frontier subs (fast, fairly accurate) that play fine with cccp codec/ffdshow and windows media player.

I recently found AonE-Menclave-Gekkostate frontier subs to be quite nice and well written with both hi res .mkv and 704x400 xvid versions. Today, they're up to episode 11.

I'll download A-M-G's episode 11 .mkv and .xvid and compare with Shinsen episode 11 to see which I like better.

I hope the yak deculture episode gets translated by either one of these two groups.

Thanks a lot to all the Frontier subtitle teams!

I thought Shinsen had disbanded, so I was watching gattai and then gg frontier subs (fast, fairly accurate) that play fine with cccp codec/ffdshow and windows media player.

No. The individual working on MF for Shinsen was unavailable for a period of time so they put the series on hiatus.

I recently found AonE-Menclave-Gekkostate frontier subs to be quite nice and well written with both hi res .mkv and 704x400 xvid versions. Today, they're up to episode 11.

I've seen Menclave's work on Gundam 00 and they did a really good job. Only problem is they are really slow (and they know it and make fun of it). I would consider them on the same level as Shinsen and I probably would have downloaded those if Shinsen didn't come back to it.

Shinsen Subs is BACK!!! :D

Episodes 12, 13, and 14 are up!

Yeah, Shinsen has back to business!!! :) Together with the release of Lunar, today is indeed a happy day for me.

I've seen Menclave's work on Gundam 00 and they did a really good job. Only problem is they are really slow (and they know it and make fun of it). I would consider them on the same level as Shinsen and I probably would have downloaded those if Shinsen didn't come back to it.

Menclave, the Slowpoke of the fansub world. :p

But I agree with their quality. Definitely on par with Shinsen, if not because of their slow speed...

Edited by Sulendil Ang

hahaha...perhaps, I can view mkv files properly, but I've downloaded almost every mkv converting software and there's always some weird crash error or something, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, I've deleted all my codecs and did a fresh reinstall of them but still have errors...

I'm too lazy to find what's the real problem so I just blame vista on everything cause I never had this much problems with XP... :lol::wacko:

yeah....shinsen is back... MKV were a royal pain to burn to dvd for me... don't know why, my system wasn't accepting them...stupid vista

I wonder what happened to them? I was afraid they had thrown in the towel. Glad to see them back!

Re. MKV files- I've heard that Wondershare works like a charm.

I'm so glad Shinsen Subs is back. :D I believe they are the best quality .avi files. I am not even keeping anything but the Shensen Subs and the highest resolution RAWs.

No. Kingofbrave is still doing the translation. I used to help out with translation checking and lyrics translation, but I have stopped doing it. So there will be a different person doing the lyrics translation.

Actually I'm watching Lunar AVIs... and god bless they souls.

I almost become mad during the darkness week (the one without subs).

Unfortunately my beloved Brazilian Portuguese subs version was discontinued *sad* (for they, no hurt'll be enough!)

Actually I'm watching Lunar AVIs... and god bless they souls.

I almost become mad during the darkness week (the one without subs).

Unfortunately my beloved Brazilian Portuguese subs version was discontinued *sad* (for they, no hurt'll be enough!)

Huge thank you to Lunar!!

You guys made my day.

<3 <3 RF-26

I've been watching lunar. What's a remation eater?

I think I'll keep my shin-sen subs. I prefer more accuracy than speed.

I think it would be cool if the dvd/br had a uncut 'deculture edition' episode for every episode that has been made for tv. That'd be cool. :D

So lets say when Michel dies he swears at the alien before it stabs him and says to it: "you're one ugly mother-fcker" before he dies. The Zentradi Loli wakes up in giant form and gets angry thinking michel was refferring to her before realising he died protecting her.

Or michel says something like: "Get away from her you bitch!" before he shoots the aliens hovering around her zentradi resizing chamber.

That'd be cool. Maybe show a Nanase shower scene. Then it would live up to the 'deculture' name since isn't that what the zentradi say when they are shocked or in disbelief at something they don't expect?

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I've been watching lunar. What's a remation eater?

Someone that eats remations. Duh.

No. Kingofbrave is still doing the translation. I used to help out with translation checking and lyrics translation, but I have stopped doing it. So there will be a different person doing the lyrics translation.

That's too bad. I thought your song translations were quite good. Your "Triangler" (for example) is THE definitive version, as far as I'm concerned.

Appreciate Lunar and GG for getting their subs out early. Hate them both since Lunars avi and GG(only mkv) doesn't play on the PS3 at all and I have to spend hours converting them especially the mkv's since I like my super HD resolution.

Glad shin-sen is back since I'm keeping their's because of accuracy and because I switched to them after AiA stopped their version.

Hey Dangard---what's the best way to get the best possible resolution for playing on a PS3? I plan to get one soon, and want to watch Frontier on my TV in the highest res I can get. On my PC at least, gattai's been giving the sharpest resolution, with GG and Kei tied for second. Lunar's "fuzzy". Shinsen is in tiny resolution (all the copies I can find). But groups are rarely consistent, quality/compression wise it seems. I've been downloading a few copies of various eps, looking for the "ultimate" version/group that I'll then get all the eps of, before converting everything.

I've copied a few eps to USB sticks to play on the 360 as an experiment, and while certainly watchable, are not as high quality as I'd like, even using the best settings I can find. I kinda blame the original files, not the conversion process.

Hey Dangard---what's the best way to get the best possible resolution for playing on a PS3? I plan to get one soon, and want to watch Frontier on my TV in the highest res I can get. On my PC at least, gattai's been giving the sharpest resolution, with GG and Kei tied for second. Lunar's "fuzzy". Shinsen is in tiny resolution (all the copies I can find). But groups are rarely consistent, quality/compression wise it seems. I've been downloading a few copies of various eps, looking for the "ultimate" version/group that I'll then get all the eps of, before converting everything.

I've copied a few eps to USB sticks to play on the 360 as an experiment, and while certainly watchable, are not as high quality as I'd like, even using the best settings I can find. I kinda blame the original files, not the conversion process.

If I may, your output resolution is dependent on what max resolution your TV supports. If your TV supports full HD (i.e. 1080p), then the best you can do is to download (and/or convert) the episodes that are encoded in that resolution. AFAIK, none of the subbers encode in 1080. Only the re-encodes (like gg's) and some raws have it in this resolution.

So far, I've converted (using Xvid4PSP) gg's mkv files into mp4 without tampering with their native resolutions, and they all look sublime on my 1080i only capable first-gen Bravia. Only problem is, some of the song subs are cropped. This is because the PS3 "zooms" the image a bit. I'm assuming that a file that is encoded in native 1080 will not have this problem. Try experimenting with different episodes and converting them with different settings using Xvid4PSP. It'll take time, but apart from buying the Blu-ray versions, its the only way you're going to get maximum quality on your TV. HTH!

BTW, Shinsen Subs don't need converting to play on the PS3. Although, being encoded in a smaller resolution, they don't look as sharp as my converted gg's. ^_^

help plz. i need more (alternative) subtitle files, i'm stuck on 5 episodes, the subtitles dont match whats happing onscreen, timing is off... it starts out fine, but as the episode goes on, it skews...

GG has been the only one to release scripts lately. Kei and Chihiro did release scripts but they appear to no longer sub the series. And for the billionth time, GG times their scripts against non-MBS broadcast raws (CBC or TBS broadcasts). This is why the scripts don't match. You will either need to re-time the scripts against whatever raw you are using or download a subbed copy.

GG has been the only one to release scripts lately. Kei and Chihiro did release scripts but they appear to no longer sub the series. And for the billionth time, GG times their scripts against non-MBS broadcast raws (CBC or TBS broadcasts). This is why the scripts don't match. You will either need to re-time the scripts against whatever raw you are using or download a subbed copy.

i have looked for a subbed copy, to no avail... hmm. i'll look again, but any help would be appreciated. and i'll have to check to see if any of mine are non-mbs... 3 of the 4 programs ive used for subbing dont work at all (yamb, xvid4psp... and another one... anywayAVIrecomp has been the most reliable). i just cant stand watching flash videos.

2 to 5 copies of each ep, subbed, in multiple formats-----surely, something will work from this:

http://getfansub.com/wiki/Macross_Frontier Though lately, it's been mostly MKV's. There are avi's out there, PM me if you really need a direct-download AVI option.

yeah shinsen rocks, the quality of the video (colors/contrast) are just so much better than Lunar and some of the other avi downloads the high res of course are nice on their own I download those as well but I can't stream them to the plasma haha

but yeah I'll take the best I can get even if I have to wait awhile. Just like most I'm only going to burn the good stuff.

now if my prayers would just be answered and someone would license MF and release it on Blu Ray *cries tears of please god let it happen joy*

Hey Dangard---what's the best way to get the best possible resolution for playing on a PS3? snip

Get the highest res mkv out there and convert. :p I've used the modified-GG 1440x1080 releases and used Quicktime Pro, with Perian plugin to reencode it to divx. All settings are set to max.

But now that Shinsen is back I won't have to deal with that. I'm lazy that way. I dl the Raws for the imagery, will get the BD eventually, and the subbed avis so I know what's going on in the raws.

I noticed that in episode 12 I think Temujin said something to Ogotai and the Zentran word was translated into english, but it didn't bother me.

I was so glad to see they had 12-14 avail the other day! Very happy MF hasn't been put on the back burner!

I'm gonna want to burn these onto DVD's once I have them all, I've made copies for a friend but only put em on CD's....the outcome is less than good it's like HR quality.

I'm gonna get the BD's for Xmas but Shinsen Subs on DVD will be good for friends and fam that "need" them.

I noticed that in episode 12 I think Temujin said something to Ogotai and the Zentran word was translated into english, but it didn't bother me.

I was so glad to see they had 12-14 avail the other day! Very happy MF hasn't been put on the back burner!

I'm gonna want to burn these onto DVD's once I have them all, I've made copies for a friend but only put em on CD's....the outcome is less than good it's like HR quality.

I'm gonna get the BD's for Xmas but Shinsen Subs on DVD will be good for friends and fam that "need" them.

The most glaring one, to me, was in the opening, when Ogotai says "Yack Deculture." The Japanese subtitle also says "Yack Deculture." The Shinsen subtitle says, "What a terrifying prospect." The joke is completely translated out of existance.

But yes, I'm glad they're back...

The most glaring one, to me, was in the opening, when Ogotai says "Yack Deculture." The Japanese subtitle also says "Yack Deculture." The Shinsen subtitle says, "What a terrifying prospect." The joke is completely translated out of existance.

But yes, I'm glad they're back...

I like Shinsen a lot, but did anyone else dislike the fact that when the Zentradi speak Zentradi-Language WITHOUT Japanese subtitles, Shinsen STILL put English subs there?

Or am I just being too nitpicky...?

I suggested both "Yakku Deculture" and What a terrifying prospect." for people who are not familiar with the lore. In the end, it was the editor's decision to remove Zentradi words from the sub. I am sure fans would prefer to keep the Zentradi dialog in the subs. This problem would have been easily solved in dub, with the voice actor saying "Yakku Deculture" and caption saying "What a terrifying prospect!".

There was a Zentradi transcript with the subs in the early draft. It was the editor decision to remove the phonetic Zentradi to avoid clutter. I translated the Zentradi dialog by ear based on online dictionaries and the movie DYRL, so the English subtitles may not coincide with the Japanese subtitles.

Edited by Tom and Jerry

I suggested both "Yakku Deculture" and What a terrifying prospect." for people who are not familiar with the lore. In the end, it was the editor's decision to remove Zentradi words from the sub. I am sure fans would prefer to keep the Zentradi dialog in the subs. This problem would have been easily solved in dub, with the voice actor saying "Yakku Deculture" and caption saying "What a terrifying prospect!".

There was a Zentradi transcript with the subs in the early draft. It was the editor decision to remove the phonetic Zentradi to avoid clutter. I translated the Zentradi dialog by ear based on online dictionaries and the movie DYRL, so the English subtitles may not coincide with the Japanese subtitles.

Hmm. I do think that Zentradi should be left untranslated into English if there is no corresponding Japanese translation. It may cause double takes and momentary confusion, but I think that's okay.

Incidentally, I have the same problem with the DYRL subs floating around...especially during the Max and Millia fight scene.

But it's a relatively minor thing, overall. Now if EVERY episode of Frontier featured the Zentradi language, I might get angry about it... ^_^

A new recommendation for Mac users: MPlayer OSX Extended. The main draw for this one is the performance H.264 decoder. A lot of players for OS X haven't had good codecs, but this MPlayer OSX revision has an option for "Fast libavcodec decoding..." which improves audio/video syncs. Now my Mac plays large resolution files on par with my similarly spec'd Windows machine.

I just downloaded this on my macbookpro and watched an episode of frontier and it was by far the best viewing of any frontier episode yet. All the subtitles lined up perfectly! Thanks so much!

And I've been having real problems playing the GG MKVs on my unit - it slows up and chokes during the action scenes, etc. Even on VLC or MP Classic, and I'm playing it on a 2G RAM Acer laptop with an ATI X1600 card. I'm not a big fan of converting stuff just so I can watch it - is there anything I can do t make the MKVs play more smoothly?

Mark

And I've been having real problems playing the GG MKVs on my unit - it slows up and chokes during the action scenes, etc. Even on VLC or MP Classic, and I'm playing it on a 2G RAM Acer laptop with an ATI X1600 card. I'm not a big fan of converting stuff just so I can watch it - is there anything I can do t make the MKVs play more smoothly?

Mark

Good luck, man. I've had similar problems. I've tried a few things but to no avail. I'd recommend just waiting for the AVI's if you can. :)

That, or just upgrade your computer, as in adding more memory, use a more powerful graphic card, upgrade your CPU, etc. (Although judging from your computer's spec, I think it should be more than enough to run mkv smoothly. What's your CPU and OS?)

Don't run any program that consume lots of CPU when watching mkv also helps, too. :)