Macross Frontier and Fansubs

Duke Togo

Crap, I must have missed it... WF-25 Messiah = Kei??? If so, GREAT JOB!!! ^_^ Just a few misspellings but nothing big :D

No. I am not Kei. Kei is someone else. I did however make a sub .ass-script for ep 14 that I completed on friday... I havent actually put it up anywhere though just mailed it to a few individuals who showed any interest in it.

Good luck on the drama albums, Gubaba. Going to put them up on a website or something when you get them done/vetted?

As for Lunar, they're still pretty good, but I agree the "Remation Eater" bit was too bad. Though it *did* sound like that and the text proving otherwise was kind of easy to miss. It's still no "Brief 25" though :lol:. It's be nice if they did a v2 to fix it. I liked their phrasing of Grace's line the best too. I'll see how it goes, though I hate to switch groups for consistency sake. GG's parody though is true of most fans though. "He who releases first....wins."

Yes, that's certainly true. Thankfully with Macross I don't think any groups have massacred the show in terms of translation yet (unless there're more mistakes than just Remation Eater, maybe).

I did check out 14, and it was pretty good from what I could tell. The captions do help it seems. It's nice to see how far the groups come from the Pani Poni days. My only complaint isn't with your Macross Frontier, but rather Code Geass. Opinions on Ali project not withstanding, was it really necessary to vent such hatrid by writing, "F*ck Ali Project" right after a major death scene and emotional highpoint in the season? It sort of damaged the mood. ^_^;;

The captions are incredibly helpful to proper translation, and make things a lot speedier. The present gg is largely a different bunch of people from the old gg (e.g. translators are all new to the group), so you could say it's essentially a new group.

About the F*ck Ali Project thing, it was a joke born out of frustration at deciphering the lyrics for the ED. You could say we take different approaches to Geass and Frontier; I wouldn't allow something like that to be done on Macross. In any case, quite a number of people actually responded well to it, so it might not have been altogether a bad idea...perhaps? :ph34r:

Edited by creamyhorror

Good luck on the drama albums, Gubaba. Going to put them up on a website or something when you get them done/vetted?

I plan to include them in the Macross Mega-Torrent, set to be released on February 7, 2009 (the date of the Macross's launch and the beginning of Space War I).

There's a thread about it here.

Anyone know what's going on with Shinsen? Seems like they just keep falling farther behind... they haven't quietly given up Frontier have they?

They've ALWAYS been slower than the others...they fell way behind for a while, but then caught up during the "extra week" between 10 and 11...they'll get there, eventually.

They've ALWAYS been slower than the others...they fell way behind for a while, but then caught up during the "extra week" between 10 and 11...they'll get there, eventually.

True, but even then they were only 2 weeks behind... now they're a solid 4 episodes back is why I mention it. Not that there aren't enough groups already subbing Frontier, but Shinsen's tend to be keepers.

Edited by stray

True, but even then they were only 2 weeks behind... now they're a solid 4 episodes back is why I mention it. Not that there aren't enough groups already subbing Frontier, but Shinsen's tend to be keepers.

Don't worry: If Shinsen did dropped MF, they will let the fans knows through their website. So far, there's no news from them yet, so it's in the "no news=good news" category.

Mmmm, Brief-25. Gotta love that.

I wish I had access to the closed caption streams for this show when I was working on it. It would've made my job ridiculously easy and I could've spent more time hammering out the dialogue the right way. Oh well. I'm just happy I got it as accurate as I did considering how much of the dialogue is obscured by blaring music or really quick and slightly sloppy VAing. Thank god Birdy the Mighty is kind of easy so far and I can hear almost everything clearly!

Anyway, I actually may do the DVDs for this show if I'm not busy with upcoming stuff (current anime and future series as well as manga), but eh, I'll have to catch up to the show before then. I haven't watched the show since Ep 10 because I've been too busy with preparations for my move to Japan (happens next week, rawr!) The break also killed a bit of momentum for me. Aha.

Edited by Shouta

About the F*ck Ali Project thing, it was a joke born out of frustration at deciphering the lyrics for the ED. You could say we take different approaches to Geass and Frontier; I wouldn't allow something like that to be done on Macross. In any case, quite a number of people actually responded well to it, so it might not have been altogether a bad idea...perhaps? :ph34r:

I get that it was a joke, but I still think it was a poorly timed one, and would've been better left on the website or later in the credits. I wouldn't have minded it so much had it not been for the content of the preceding scene, that's all. Nothing takes you more out of an emotional scene for an escapist like me then something completely unrelated grabbing one's attention, especially negatively. Heck, had it been in the middle or after the credits, I probably wouldn't have minded, as I would've winded down from the scene. As for response, it's probably partially due to good comments being easier to post on fansub sites than bad. that, and the positive comments I've seen were by people who seemed to genuinely hate Ali Project. As much as it bugged me, I wasn't about to go to the IRC channel and vent about it, as I'm sure you get enough from people actually out to aggravate fansubbers. Your asking for opinions here allowed for a more civilized response

Sorry to sidetrack the discussion.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

• 2 weeks later...

(Bump)

Does anyone know what's going on with Shinsen? Yeah, yeah, I know this keeps getting brought up and that they can take their sweet time ... Still, they'll be 6 episodes behind at some point tonight, and haven't had a Frontier release since Jul 2 (4 weeks now).

Frontier still shows up as an active project on their homepage, but I'm really starting to wonder now. It'd really be a shame if they drop this, as their translations have been the best so far (IMNSHO, anyway).

If they drop it, who else is doing high quality translations (i.e., not in the speed-sub game and really double and triple checking the translations for accuracy and readability), I'm all ears. Haven't checked out Lunar's yet ... are they worth a go? I really want to burn these to dvd for viewing on the big screen, but I'm not going to waste disks on "Brief 25" moments ... I'd prefer to only have to do it once. :)

(Bump)

Does anyone know what's going on with Shinsen? Yeah, yeah, I know this keeps getting brought up and that they can take their sweet time ... Still, they'll be 6 episodes behind at some point tonight, and haven't had a Frontier release since Jul 2 (4 weeks now).

Frontier still shows up as an active project on their homepage, but I'm really starting to wonder now. It'd really be a shame if they drop this, as their translations have been the best so far (IMNSHO, anyway).

If they drop it, who else is doing high quality translations (i.e., not in the speed-sub game and really double and triple checking the translations for accuracy and readability), I'm all ears. Haven't checked out Lunar's yet ... are they worth a go? I really want to burn these to dvd for viewing on the big screen, but I'm not going to waste disks on "Brief 25" moments ... I'd prefer to only have to do it once. :)

Apparently Shinsen thinks there are better series out there than Macross F :rolleyes: Yea, sure Shinsen. :p They just need to get their priorities straight. :D

I get that it was a joke, but I still think it was a poorly timed one, and would've been better left on the website or later in the credits. I wouldn't have minded it so much had it not been for the content of the preceding scene, that's all. Nothing takes you more out of an emotional scene for an escapist like me then something completely unrelated grabbing one's attention, especially negatively. Heck, had it been in the middle or after the credits, I probably wouldn't have minded, as I would've winded down from the scene. As for response, it's probably partially due to good comments being easier to post on fansub sites than bad. that, and the positive comments I've seen were by people who seemed to genuinely hate Ali Project. As much as it bugged me, I wasn't about to go to the IRC channel and vent about it, as I'm sure you get enough from people actually out to aggravate fansubbers. Your asking for opinions here allowed for a more civilized response.

I'm sorry that the message spoiled the scene for you. It did come pretty fast after the end, I agree, and I see why it had that sort of effect for you. I'm personally one of those people who dislikes Ali Project's music, but the real reason for the message was our frustration at trying to decipher the lyrics. Our ethos as a group is simultaneously serious and tongue-in-cheek, so we're not above pulling the occasional stunt (in moderation, of course). Probably not in Macross, though, unless it's pretty harmless.

If they drop it, who else is doing high quality translations (i.e., not in the speed-sub game and really double and triple checking the translations for accuracy and readability), I'm all ears. Haven't checked out Lunar's yet ... are they worth a go? I really want to burn these to dvd for viewing on the big screen, but I'm not going to waste disks on "Brief 25" moments ... I'd prefer to only have to do it once. smile.gif

You might want to wait for Aone-Menclave's releases for archiving, since they apparently aim for the highest quality, although they do take their time. Lunar seems to have made a few blunders of late (e.g. 'Remation Eater', presumably because of a lack of closed captions), although their earlier releases are apparently good. I've been made aware of about one flaw per episode in our subs (no outright mistranslations of course), with the exception of our ep 9, but we started midway as you probably know. I have to stress that we actually do intensive editing/quality checking, so we're not "rough-and-ready speedsubbers" (IMNSHO, anyway).

If there's demand for it, I might do a series of patches to correct any flaws in our releases, released in a pack that can easily be applied on Windows PCs.

Edited by creamyhorror

I appreciate the reply, creamyhorror. Really I do. Thanks.

One question on the recent sub, why the Robotech spelling for Minmay? I noticed even Lunar did it. I get that's it's more "chinese" looking, but all the official sources have the Macross spelling as "-ay". Sort of how it's "Focker" instead of "Fokker" (though in that case I prefer the later since it's an obvious reference to the bi-plane manufacturer). Yet I rarely see fansub groups adhere to it (Central had name changes galore in their M7).

One question on the recent sub, why the Robotech spelling for Minmay? I noticed even Lunar did it. I get that's it's more "chinese" looking, but all the official sources have the Macross spelling as "-ay". Sort of how it's "Focker" instead of "Fokker" (though in that case I prefer the later since it's an obvious reference to the bi-plane manufacturer). Yet I rarely see fansub groups adhere to it (Central had name changes galore in their M7).

Normally, if I see an official spelling given in a series' video or official website itself, I'll use it, but otherwise I'll go with the current spelling/romanization systems of the whatever language is (ostensibly) being used. In the case of Frontier, I saw there were two common spellings, and picked the one closer to normal Chinese romanization. I guess this might offend Macross purists, but I don't think it's particularly out of line.

Edited by creamyhorror

I figured it had to do with that. I'm not offended, it's just that I've only ever seen the spelling "Minmei" on Robotech products. Just about every official art piece I've seen (including her autograph) uses "Minmay", and it's the official spelling on the US DVDs and Macross Compendium. So I'm always amazed that every fansub always goes with the Robotech only "Minmei".

I figured it had to do with that. I'm not offended, it's just that I've only ever seen the spelling "Minmei" on Robotech prodects. Just about every official art piece I've seen (including her autograph) uses "Minmay", and it's the official spelling on the US DVDs and Macross Compendium. So I'm always amazed that every fansub always goes with the Robotech only "Minmei".

I believe you at one point see "Minmei" in the actual show itself. Forget which ep it was but she has "Minmei" written on her door. Dunno , might count for something.

I believe you at one point see "Minmei" in the actual show itself. Forget which ep it was but she has "Minmei" written on her door. Dunno , might count for something.

True. Episode five, I think. I think some English-speaking fans have theorized that "Minmei" is her real name, and "Minmay" is her stage name, but of course, it's only a theory.

But that's the problem...a lot of the names get romanized in various ways even IN the shows themselves. And most of the romanization that's not is not the most careful or accuracte. "Focker," as mentioned above, is a case in point. His name SOUNDS like "Fokker," Fokker is also a bi-plane manufacturer, and Roy is shown flying a Fokker in ep. 1. So really, his name should be Fokker.

And personally, I like "Miria" better than "Millia." In English, R has a harder sound than L, which suits the character better.

And It's Jan Neumann, not "Yang" Neumann...why couldn't Manga Entertainment's translators recognize a good Scandanavian name when they saw it?

All three of these are lost battles, of course...but they still bug me sometimes.

Ah yes. I think it was in episode one or two. It might have popped up again on the Macross. Good catch. Though I think that's the only instance of it. Every other time it's -ay, like on the poster, and her autograph, and has been so ever since if memory serves. So despite that early instance, I think the other version is fully adopted, even if -ei makes more sense (along with Fokker, which I've not seen a fansub get wrong).

Though if everything on screen were canon, someone in missile distro loves Budweiser. :lol:

Speaking of the Robotech spelling, did anyone else find it amusing that they kept her name asian order in it. It's both a nice touch, and horribly confusing for those not in the know.

EDIT Wow, everyone's awake, as I'm getting sniped.

It does change at times. It's the nature of old shows. The only difference is, I'm pretty sure they settled on the spelling later in the series, and it's the DVD spelling (which also throws out the odd Zentradi [itself romanized different ways like Zentraedi, Zjentradi, etc] spellings like "Vritwei" which is apparently canon over "Britai").

isn't that right, Guvava? ^_^

Personally I prefer Millia, as it's an actual name I've heard of, rolls off the tongue better, and differentiates from Robotech's overdone "Miriya" and Chris Beverage's daughter... (why i know about that is anyones guess sincew I'm not fond of AoD).

I never knew about Jan/Yang. Thanks for that one.

Oh, one more thing. The most confusing spelling I've ever seen concerns her last name. At least a handfull of groups have depicted it as "Linn". I assume this has to do with Chinese romanizations again? I don't believe there's ever been any artwork to support such a spelling, and it just looks odd.

Oh, one more thing. The most confusing spelling I've ever seen concerns her last name. At least a handfull of groups have depicted it as "Linn". I assume this has to do with Chinese romanizations again? I don't believe there's ever been any artwork to support such a spelling, and it just looks odd.

Good luck sorting that out. As far as I know, the name was supposed to be Ling Mingmei (Líng Míngměi, 鈴明美), "Bright and beautiful bell" in Chinese, which is quite appropriate. But then, the guys in China localized the name as Lin Mingmei (Lín Míngměi, 林明美), "Bright and beautiful woods." Both of them are rendered Rin Minmei in katakana. Neither Linn nor Lynn are standard romanizations for Japanese nor Chinese.

I just take it as stylization. Like in the company Mazda actually being Matsuda in Japan - only that the founder thought it would be cooler to romanize it as Mazda, after Ahura Mazda and all those things.

Edited by Lindem Herz

Well, Macross Compendium do use the surname "Linn" for everyone of her family except herself. Weird. :blink: The old page did use both version of that romanization.

On a side note, if her name is Chinese, then Ling would be the closest romanization for her surname. And Chinese usually use "i" rather than "y", anyways, so I'm not too surprise that Linn is also used as the alternative romanization. :)

Good luck sorting that out. As far as I know, the name was supposed to be Ling Mingmei (Líng Míngměi, 鈴明美), "Bright and beautiful bell" in Chinese, which is quite appropriate. But then, the guys in China localized the name as Lin Mingmei (Lín Míngměi, 林明美), "Bright and beautiful woods." Both of them are rendered Rin Minmei in katakana. Neither Linn nor Lynn are standard romanizations for Japanese nor Chinese.

Because there's no such surname as 鈴 in Chinese, although 泠, similiar character with the same sound, is indeed a surname, although it's rare one. 林 is a very common surname in comparison, hence the confusion. :)

Edited by Sulendil Ang

(Bump)

One of our Shinsen team member is currently busy with RL stuff. So we are taking a break with Macross Frontier. It's easy to make "Remation Reater", "Brief 25" kind of mistakes if you don't have access to close caption. We did mis-transcribe Kanaria's name as Kanayo in Episode 1 and Relay Pod as EA Pod, not having access to close caption scripts. However having close caption script still doesn't guarantee good translation, as less experience translators can now rely on making word for word literal translation, instead of listening to what the characters are trying to say.

One of our Shinsen team member is currently busy with RL stuff. So we are taking a break with Macross Frontier. It's easy to make "Remation Reater", "Brief 25" kind of mistakes if you don't have access to close caption. We did mis-transcribe Kanaria's name as Kanayo in Episode 1 and Relay Pod as EA Pod, not having access to close caption scripts. However having close caption script still doesn't guarantee good translation, as less experience translators can now rely on making word for word literal translation, instead of listening to what the characters are trying to say.

Great to see you guys joining in on the discussion, "Tom and Jerry" always jumped at me during the OP/credit sequence, I went "hey, I know this guy!" when I saw you here :p

A very appreciate anwser sir. Thank for subbing MacrossF and welcome to MacrossWorld. ^_^