Which is your favorite character from Macross Frontier so far?

I don't like the guy that made out with Cathy Glass. Not only does he look like a prick, he acts like one, a dumb one at that. What idiot decides to shove a bioweapon that might not be dead, into a glass tube? This guy has it coming, I hope Ozma kills his ass by season's end.

I've said it before...if Macross Frontier were a Scooby-Doo episode, Leon would be the crooked land developer.

(And Sheryl and Nanase would be Daphne and Velma...but that's neither here nor there, really.)

Alto. I like how he is not afraid to call someone out. Even though he is fearful of the Vajra initially, it doesn't stop him from taking them on, especially episode 4. Klan klan outranks him, but that doesn't stop him from taking her on in mock combat either, he put up a good fight, rather than hide behind an asteroid the entire time and wait for Michel or Luca to do something. He is also a character who strives to break the ties that bind him and free himself from the expectations of others. For a character who starts out young and not as experienced as his peers, he is strong and puts in a damn good effort. Not cocky, unlike Michel, and not easily scared, like Luca.

Michel is okay, too cocky for my tastes. If he becomes more of a mentor rather than retaining the "cocky older brother" mentality through the series, then he will be more likeable as a character. I have a feeling his arrogance and one-shot mentality will lead him to screw up and miss, with Alto saving him.

I don't like Sheryl. Maybe I'll like her later, but only if her ego is destroyed. Her only redeeming factor, is that she is encourages Ranka, but as of episode 5, I can see this changing.

Ranka is likeable, and I didn't notice her VA's singing talent until episode 5. Ranka can sing fairly well, her rendition of "What 'bout my star" is better than Sheryl's! Nonetheless, the lyrics are horrible engrish.

Lots of really good observations there :)

I totally agree about Ranka doing better covers of Sheryl's songs than the original Sheryl version:) And personally I love the engrish in "What 'bout my star" because it's authentic.

Lots of foriegn singers use english because they want to market themselves to a broader audience - but in the case of Polish singers (who I happen to hear a lot of because I live in Poland), most of them have SUCH HORRIBLE ACCENTS that their song sounds ridiculous - and forced.

This is particularly true if you're not very passionate about your music and all of the emotion of the song is just clearly staged - it comes out contorted and the bad accent makes it sound silly.

I imagine there might be similar cases with other foriegn singers who suddenly use english... and this is why many times I like hearing foriegn songs when they are actually foriegn - aka in the original language, be it Japanese, French -whatever...

But with Ranka's "What 'bout my star?" I make an acception. I think there was real heart and passion in her singing - and even though there are a few gramatical errors - it just sounds great, has a great beat, and Ranka is obviously happy and in her element - and the voice acting really demonstrates this as well.

So - as with everything about Ranka - the grammatical errors just become CUTE :)

Your comments about Micheal are interesting too - I hadn't thought about him as cocky until you made it clear now. I guess his blue Valk and glasses and austere gentlemanliness was giving me visions of Max - and Max's character was overshadowing my viewing of Micheal...

But yes - you're right. Max would never have said something like "what did you expect?" after hitting his target...well..ok...that's not true...he did at one point say "like shooting ducks in a barrel" or something of that sort in the episode where Misa takes the Cat's Eye into the asteroid belt... but I think that was his ONE brief show of arrogance...

Maybe Micheal is just jealous of Alto? I mean - Alto is a better pilot (worse soldier/gunner, but better pilot), and Alto also has a way with girls that Micheal doesn't ( the fact that Micheal likes older women is - in my opinion - a cover for the fact that he DOESN'T have any women in his life..."oh I just like older girls you know!"....a great rumor to spread so people don't start wondering why NONE of the cute girls in your class are with you)....

Finally - I really like your take on Alto - it basically sums up everything to like about the character. I would only add that the best thing about his "rebelion against restraints" is that he is hardest on...himself!

Initially, in episode 1 when he was bitterly complaining about how boring his life was - I was afraid that we were getting another Kaifun. Drink-drink-blame other people for your problems- drink drink.... but thankfully, Alto is not blaming others for his problems. He's rather blaming himself and constantly therefore pushing himself to do more. That's a very noble quality.

Even the relationship with his dad. Alto doesn't anywhere blame his dad or suggest that his dad is a loser/at fault for the rift. And yet no matter what happened to make Alto run away - I'm sure his pops had something to do with it - anyways if pops really loved him he wouldn't be like "don't know him!" at the concert hall..

But Alto doesn't get bitter - in fact - he blames himself for running away from a tough problem and vows not to run away from the challenge of getting into SMS.

He also allows Micheal to "break" his ego - and during training he demonstrates that it's not ego - but skill and ambition that drive him.

A real hero all around! Also - he knows JUST WHERE TO PUT HIS CELL PHONE and shows GREAT instinct when he grabs Sheryl and tosses her into the locker :)

VFTF1

But with Ranka's "What 'bout my star?" I make an acception. I think there was real heart and passion in her singing - and even though there are a few gramatical errors - it just sounds great, has a great beat, and Ranka is obviously happy and in her element - and the voice acting really demonstrates this as well.

So - as with everything about Ranka - the grammatical errors just become CUTE :)

Your comments about Micheal are interesting too - I hadn't thought about him as cocky until you made it clear now. I guess his blue Valk and glasses and austere gentlemanliness was giving me visions of Max - and Max's character was overshadowing my viewing of Micheal...

But yes - you're right. Max would never have said something like "what did you expect?" after hitting his target...well..ok...that's not true...he did at one point say "like shooting ducks in a barrel" or something of that sort in the episode where Misa takes the Cat's Eye into the asteroid belt... but I think that was his ONE brief show of arrogance...

Dude...you have GOT to hear Tommy February6...I have a feeling she's your undiscovered dream girl...

And...um...I'm trying to think of a delicate way to put this...I think you're getting your Max Jenius confused with your Max Sterling...Robotech Max is the deferential and self-effacing one, Macross Max is pretty damn cocky.

I'm trying to think of a delicate way to put this...I think you're getting your Max Jenius confused with your Max Sterling...Robotech Max is the deferential and self-effacing one, Macross Max is pretty damn cocky.

Well - it certainly is possible I am mis-interpreting Max Jenius - but it is IMpossible that I am getting him confused with the Robotech version... since I've never watched Robotech - ever :)

I guess it just goes to how we interpret being cocky. I never got the impression Max was cocky - rather that he was a gentleman. Here are some reasons from SDF M:

1. In Shanghai Dandy, Minmey rushes to Kaifun saying "Wow! Kaifun you were great!" after the big brawl at Nyan Nyan. But Hikaru took part in the brawl too - and gets reaaallly jealous that Minmey doesn't rush to him. He's about to say something, manages to blurt out "Minmey" and then gets this LOOK from Max that just says "shut up." Max is so cool and so sauve that all he needs to do is give you a look - a cocky person would grab Hikaru and give him a speech about how you can't pressure women and if you show this kind of jealousy it will only demean you as a man in their eyes etc yaddy yaddy ya - but Max is not cocky - therefore he relies on non-verbal eye contact - he's polite enough to know that while as a friend he can give Hikaru a look - he has no business of giving Hikaru a speech.

2. When Miria asks that Max only disable Zendradi pods - he doesn't say "No problemo baby! Watch how utterly COOL I am!" - he is at first very much against the idea. I interpret his "Miria watch me work!" line not as a cocky "yeah this'll be easy!" but rather as a statement of a husband to his wife saying: "This is really a lot to ask of me, and it is very hard, but I love you - so I will try! Watch!"

3. Max is present at a lot of high level meetings on the Macross; the first being the meeting with Global, Maistroff and the Officers in Blue Wing, after our heroes have escaped Breetai and Boldoza's clutches. I honestly do not recall Max being cocky at ANY of those meetings - even though such a meeting is the perfect place to get all cocky - like some of the characters (particularly the REMFs) do. Max never speaks unless he is asked something, and always his answer is brief and to the point. It's not cockyness but rather humility and a sense of duty that binds him.

4. When Max gets his own command, he is rather surprised and tells Hikaru that he might not be ready. He seems to feel visibly better about it when Hikaru notes that it's because compared to all the newer pilots- they are vets. A cocky person would be like "yeah finally! I mean they took long enough to give me my own squad!"

5. When Hikaru and Kakizake call Max a genius after their virgin sortie - Max acts like a kid in a candy factory that just got a big chocolate bar. 'Me? Really? I never knew..." and he daydreams about how nifty it is. A cocky person would say "hah! I shot down more than you guys! You guys should follow me!"

6. While fighting Miria in the Arcade, Max thinks to himself that she is really very skilled. A cocky person would think "die biatch die! I'm the best!" - after the game he is a gentleman and congratulates her and does not act cocky - of course, part of the reason he does this is because he doesn't want to put down the girl he wants to ask on a date - but if he were cocky and macho he would be like "I'm the best! You should forget about piloting and doing this manly stuff! Lemme take you out babe!" or something like that.

7. When escaping in his VF-1A from the Zendradi in the Boldoza Fleet, and upon entering the elevator - Max wants to close the door - but his VF-1A's arm gets shot in such a way as to make it malfunction. Max doesn't know what to do - and it's Hikaru who braves the bullets to close the elevator door. If Max were cocky, he'd just be like "out'a my way! I'm the best! I'll brave these bullets and do it manualy!" - but he's not cocky - and while a great pilot - he obviously hasn't the faintest clue what to do in a combat situation where he can't rely on his piloting skills. He needs help in this situation.

So anyways - there's my impression of Max and the basis in SDF M for it :)

I might be completely wrong, I might not be noticing the cockyness - but I assure you there is no Robotech bias creeping in because I have happily not seen the show :)

VFTF1

I might be completely wrong, I might not be noticing the cockyness - but I assure you there is no Robotech bias creeping in because I have happily not seen the show :)

VFTF1

Never seen Robotech? You lucky, lucky dog!

Anyway, maybe I'm the one misinterpreting the Magnificent Mr. Jenius...Hmmm. Maybe I was just taken aback by his deep, suave, Sho Hayami voice (rather than the "aw-shucks, I'm just a goggle-eyed kid" Jimmy Flinders voice), and saw more than was actually there...

Well - I think it really goes to what one believes to constitute "cockiness."

That suave voice and attitude - to me - communicate that he has a certain distance towards his circumstances.

Cockyness on the other hand is...Kakizake :) "Lemme at 'em boss!" :)

VFTF1

Not to the point of actually talking about his dominance over his peers though. He is impressed with his own brilliance, and confident, but he doesn't talk over Hikaru as if he is an older brother/mentor/jock, unlike Michel talk to Alto.

I am always impressed with people who can say, in two sentences, what it takes me five pages to say :)

VFTF1

So here's the super silly geneology:

FOR ALTO:

Kaifun slept with Minmey and brought Alto's dad into the world, who subsequently fathered Alto at a fairly late age (look at the guy - he's old :) )

FOR RANKA:

Hikaru slep with Minmey and brought Bassara into the world.

Bassara slept with Mylene and brought Ranka into the world

Naturally - there is one flaw and one tragedy in this line of reasoning:

The flaw is that it gets to the silly point where Minmey somehow becomes this baby-factory :) Although I guess having two kids is not actually that hard to imagine...

The tragedy is that it seems to presume that Misa never had any kids :(

As for Sheryl - she's clearly the love child of Mao and Shin. Through Mao, she inhereted Sara's singing talents.

Hmm...this is silly - but cooky and fun..so let me continue...

Mr Harley - or whatever the menacing guy's name is - actually reminds me of Dr. Hasoford - so he's therefore CLEARLY Dr. Hasoford's younger brother - a lot younger - now old and shrivelled and therefore looking like Hasoford the elder.

Cathy Glass has a bit of Misa Hayese in her - a small bit but a bit - particularly in the looks department. Here's the scoop on her:

Admiral Hayese, following the death of Misa's mom, could not bring himself to remarry, but did have an ongoing affair with a certain girl by the last name of Glass. This girl was killed during the Boldoza fleet attack, along with most of the planet's population - but not before giving birth of a boy who miraculously survived and was brought up in a jungle by wolves and then found alive after the war by a roaming party of Zentran pilgrims.

The boy eventually grew up on one of the many colony worlds that was launched into space. There he met a beautiful woman - this woman was named Hayese - and was the daughter of Hikaru and Misa.

Hayese junior and Glass Jr were in love and wanted to get married, but then it turned out after some tests that Hayese Jr.'s mother was the daughter of Glass Jr.'s father - which makes them...lemme see....if my dad was also the dad of my girlfriend's mom....my dad has me, my dad has my girlfriend's mom - she has my girlfriend...hmm...so I have the same dad as...my girlfriend's...granddad?

Well - anyways - they're related and so it kind of looks icky to ge married but they can't help it and they have a child and this child - Glass Jr. the II grows up to be president and has a daughter named...Cathy.

:)

Naturally - Darth Vader is really EVERYBODY'S father :)

VFTF1

Holy crrap, this is fun! haha. frackin brilliant. :)

ok, question 1: if alto's father is kaifun and minmei's lovechild, how did he get out of Megaroad1 before it went MIA? or did she give birth before leaving earth in 2012. that's a small window of opportunity there. i don't know the exact dates, but would that mean she was already pregnant when she was staying at hikaru's apartment?

which brings me to question 2: so hikaru was having an extra-marital affair with minmei inside megaroad 1? (haha, why am i not surprised? hikaru, an indecisive fool to the very end!). and before megaroad disappeared, minmei was able to put her 2nd lovechild (minmei, you naughty mynx!) in an escape pod... with a toy guitar of course?

Q3: you mean mao and shin's grandchild, right? otherwise, sheryl's pretty old. hehe. :p

Q4: hikaru and misa had another daughter... and left her in a colony?? how harsh. haha. "dear, we'll just be going out for a short trip to the center of the galaxy. it's pretty close already. don't worry, we'll be back in a week or two. promise!"

Q5 (well not actually a question): damn it dude, i had to draw myself a family tree diagram just for this! :wacko: yeah, there's surely some blood there. Glass Jr. would be Misa Hayase's half-brother. which would make Glass Jr, Hayase Jr's half-uncle! thus, Glass Jr impregated his half-niece to give birth to president glass. haha.

Simple. Basara and Mylene actually met even earlier than that - only it was at a party where Basara got real drunk and slept with Mylene - and neither of them even remembered the next day - let alone two years later when they met.

However, due to genetic inconsistencies in Mylene on account of her being half-Zendradi, Basara's mojo took it's sweet time and so Mylene "suddenly and inexplicably" became pregnant much later - this was, mind you, a big shock to Basara - who of course had a hissy fit and accused Mylene of doing it with Gamlin and left her "once and for all" to be with the biker babe.

Gamlin meanwhile knew very well that it couldn't be his child - as did Mylene - and so she was left to tend to Ranka by her lonesome and gave her up for adoption - she was adopted by Zendradi parents who were then killed when the Vajra attacked their colony.

Simple :)

VFTF1

if ranka was born 2 years before basara any mylene met (the second time, but the only time they were actually sober enough to remember), then that would mean mylene already gave birth to ranka before that "second" meeting, but completely forgot that she had one! ("oh yeah... was that a baby? i thought i just had a nasty case of diarreah")

In any case, that would justify basara calling her a HOOOOOOO. hehe. :)

you know what would be even better? a jerry springer appearance by the incestuous uncle and niece. or hikaru, minmei and misa, the final showdown!! (Misa: you screwed my husband and you even screwed my Riber-substitute?? You skank!!!!! )

haha. all in all, so much fun!!

So here's the super silly geneology:

FOR ALTO:

Kaifun slept with Minmey and brought Alto's dad into the world, who subsequently fathered Alto at a fairly late age (look at the guy - he's old

FOR RANKA:

Hikaru slep with Minmey and brought Bassara into the world.

Bassara slept with Mylene and brought Ranka into the world

Naturally - there is one flaw and one tragedy in this line of reasoning:

The flaw is that it gets to the silly point where Minmey somehow becomes this baby-factory Although I guess having two kids is not actually that hard to imagine...

The tragedy is that it seems to presume that Misa never had any kids

As for Sheryl - she's clearly the love child of Mao and Shin. Through Mao, she inhereted Sara's singing talents.

Hmm...this is silly - but cooky and fun..so let me continue...

Mr Harley - or whatever the menacing guy's name is - actually reminds me of Dr. Hasoford - so he's therefore CLEARLY Dr. Hasoford's younger brother - a lot younger - now old and shrivelled and therefore looking like Hasoford the elder.

Cathy Glass has a bit of Misa Hayese in her - a small bit but a bit - particularly in the looks department. Here's the scoop on her:

Admiral Hayese, following the death of Misa's mom, could not bring himself to remarry, but did have an ongoing affair with a certain girl by the last name of Glass. This girl was killed during the Boldoza fleet attack, along with most of the planet's population - but not before giving birth of a boy who miraculously survived and was brought up in a jungle by wolves and then found alive after the war by a roaming party of Zentran pilgrims.

The boy eventually grew up on one of the many colony worlds that was launched into space. There he met a beautiful woman - this woman was named Hayese - and was the daughter of Hikaru and Misa.

Hayese junior and Glass Jr were in love and wanted to get married, but then it turned out after some tests that Hayese Jr.'s mother was the daughter of Glass Jr.'s father - which makes them...lemme see....if my dad was also the dad of my girlfriend's mom....my dad has me, my dad has my girlfriend's mom - she has my girlfriend...hmm...so I have the same dad as...my girlfriend's...granddad?

Well - anyways - they're related and so it kind of looks icky to ge married but they can't help it and they have a child and this child - Glass Jr. the II grows up to be president and has a daughter named...Cathy.

Naturally - Darth Vader is really EVERYBODY'S father :)

VFTF1

Holy crrap, this is fun! haha. frackin brilliant. :)

ok, question 1: if alto's father is kaifun and minmei's lovechild, how did he get out of Megaroad1 before it went MIA? or did she give birth before leaving earth in 2012. that's a small window of opportunity there. i don't know the exact dates, but would that mean she was already pregnant when she was staying at hikaru's apartment?

which brings me to question 2: so hikaru was having an extra-marital affair with minmei inside megaroad 1? (haha, why am i not surprised? hikaru, an indecisive fool to the very end!). and before megaroad disappeared, minmei was able to put her 2nd lovechild (minmei, you naughty mynx!) in an escape pod... with a toy guitar of course?

Q3: you mean mao and shin's grandchild, right? otherwise, sheryl's pretty old. hehe. :p

Q4: hikaru and misa had another daughter... and left her in a colony?? how harsh. haha. "dear, we'll just be going out for a short trip to the center of the galaxy. it's pretty close already. don't worry, we'll be back in a week or two. promise!"

Q5 (well not actually a question): damn it dude, i had to draw myself a family tree diagram just for this! :wacko: yeah, there's surely some blood there. Glass Jr. would be Misa Hayase's half-brother. which would make Glass Jr, Hayase Jr's half-uncle! thus, Glass Jr impregated his half-niece to give birth to president glass. haha.

Simple. Basara and Mylene actually met even earlier than that - only it was at a party where Basara got real drunk and slept with Mylene - and neither of them even remembered the next day - let alone two years later when they met.

However, due to genetic inconsistencies in Mylene on account of her being half-Zendradi, Basara's mojo took it's sweet time and so Mylene "suddenly and inexplicably" became pregnant much later - this was, mind you, a big shock to Basara - who of course had a hissy fit and accused Mylene of doing it with Gamlin and left her "once and for all" to be with the biker babe.

Gamlin meanwhile knew very well that it couldn't be his child - as did Mylene - and so she was left to tend to Ranka by her lonesome and gave her up for adoption - she was adopted by Zendradi parents who were then killed when the Vajra attacked their colony.

Simple

VFTF1

if ranka was born 2 years before basara any mylene met (the second time, but the only time they were actually sober enough to remember), then that would mean mylene already gave birth to ranka before that "second" meeting, but completely forgot that she had one! ("oh yeah... was that a baby? i thought i just had a nasty case of diarreah")

In any case, that would justify basara calling her a HOOOOOOO. hehe.

you know what would be even better? a jerry springer appearance by the incestuous uncle and niece. or hikaru, minmei and misa, the final showdown!! (Misa: you screwed my husband and you even screwed my Riber-substitute?? You skank!!!!! )

haha. all in all, so much fun!!

Misa: you screwed my husband and you even screwed my Riber-substitute?? You skank!!!!!

That is so cool! :) I never considered it that way - but you're right! No wonder Misa is jealous - there are plenty of good looking girls to compete with her - but Minmey just happens to always go for the guys misa also likes! :)

Maybe Macross Frontier will bring us something along the lines of a Jerry Springer confrontation? Would be a great spoof of the high romanticism of the love-triangle theme in Macross :)

VFTF1

Well - it certainly is possible I am mis-interpreting Max Jenius - but it is IMpossible that I am getting him confused with the Robotech version... since I've never watched Robotech - ever :)

Wow. Luckiest.Bastard.Ever. haha. :)

I guess it just goes to how we interpret being cocky. I never got the impression Max was cocky - rather that he was a gentleman. Here are some reasons from SDF M:

VFTF1

Likewise, I never got the impression of cockiness from Max. SFDMacross Max, mind you. he knows he's good, but he doesn't really step over anyone's toes with his superior skills. For lack of a better word, i'd call it being "giddy about his genius". Like Kronnang pointed out, he knows he's awful good, and he takes that as a fact that he doesn't really have to point out or remind others of. but every now and then, he'd slip up and blurt out something coz he's just innocently happy about how good he is.

However, how much of that is an act, or if it's the real thing, we will never really know. :p

on the other hand, who here feels that he is a bit cocky in DYRL?

and on another note, even though he knows he's a freakin genius, he's still a bit insecure about other stuff, though. i remember when exedole referred to him as miriya's husband,as opposed to her being his wife, he was pretty miffed. "hey i beat this girl 3 times, and i'm just HER husband?" haha. :)

That is so cool! :) I never considered it that way - but you're right! No wonder Misa is jealous - there are plenty of good looking girls to compete with her - but Minmey just happens to always go for the guys misa also likes! :)

Maybe Macross Frontier will bring us something along the lines of a Jerry Springer confrontation? Would be a great spoof of the high romanticism of the love-triangle theme in Macross :)

VFTF1

haha. well, if ranka becomes famous somewhere along the line, a high-profile media confrontation is not that far-off. this early, i am already predicting some kind of homage to the hikaru-misa-minmei reunion scene in DYRL. Skupu!!

haha. well, if ranka becomes famous somewhere along the line, a high-profile media confrontation is not that far-off. this early, i am already predicting some kind of homage to the hikaru-misa-minmei reunion scene in DYRL. Skupu!!

:lol: Personally, I'd like to see another paparazzi-tabloid episode where the word finally gets out that Alto and Sheryl are having some kind of relationship. Now, whether Sheryl will acknowledge or deny it would probably be the main plot point of the story. Probably when the episodes reach into the teens. :D

and on another note, even though he knows he's a freakin genius, he's still a bit insecure about other stuff, though. i remember when exedole referred to him as miriya's husband,as opposed to her being his wife, he was pretty miffed. "hey i beat this girl 3 times, and i'm just HER husband?" haha. :)

That wasn't the reason...it was because Exsedol called him, "The man you've mated with." Max's thought balloon probably would've said, "It's a marriage, not a nature documentary..."

That wasn't the reason...it was because Exsedol called him, "The man you've mated with." Max's thought balloon probably would've said, "It's a marriage, not a nature documentary..."

oh ok, makes sense. thanks. that could be it.

but then again, shouldn't he be more embarassed than miffed? anyways, both interpretations works for me. :)

:lol: Ok...

1) I've never seen that image photoshopped (I saw the ORIGINAL before the Macross box set came out because I PRE-ORDERED it)

2) There's nothing HORY about it :p

3) It's not really funny. :D

Ok, I get it. Thank you :p

I want to if the female members of MW have any favourite character from this series.

We have female members!?

Why haven't they started a 'cutest Macross guy' poll yet?! :)

As for the Whore's Froasted Bed - that thing is cool! :)

VFTF1

• 4 weeks later...

Here I though american fans were f-ing crazy. :blink:

Most of the cast is interesting. A lot remind me of SDF Macross characters. So far I'm liking Alto, Michel, Ozma, Ranka and Sheryl. I get a kick out of Nanase, Cathy, and Klan.

They all have a long way to go in development though. 10 episodes in, and we're still mostly on characatures.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Right now, my favorite character is Ozma Lee; he reminds me of Fokker, my favorite character from SDF Macross. Like Fokker, he's an experienced ace pilot, but with more of an edge.

Indeed.

Hmmm...favorite character(s)

I'm in the Sheryl camp but Bobby is not too far behind....lol, at first I was assuming that I was the only female that liked Sheryl but reading a few past posts here, I'm happy to descover that I'm not the only female to enjoy Sheryl's presence.

I'm still waiting on the next episode for Alto's character development to decide if I'll add him to my list of favorites. Klan makes it on my honor roll list.

--Lone Wolf

一匹狼

I don't remember if I responded in this thread - which is strange since I usually have a decent memory and if I contradict myself then I do it consciously rather than as a result of memory loss... but oh well...here goes...

This is a really tough call!

Above all, more than any of the other Macross series/OVAs - Frontier seems to LIVE on Character interaction. There really isn't any marked "first tier" of characters - there's not even a "star" like Hikaru... because honestly Alto is just one of many characters who gets focus...

Focus is evenly split, and the characters progress together, working off one another to an extent unseen in previous Macross sagas... (although of course character interaction was always vital in all of them, it seems exessively pronounced here)...

But look - seriously - who is the male lead in Frontier?

Alto?

Alto gets - generally speaking - as much development as Micheal or Luka or Ozma - really - maybe not "screen time" (although I haven't counted), but development certainly - at least that's the sense I get.

Who is the main female lead?

Ranka and Sheryl? But Nanase is equally important - Klan Klan is more backgroundish, I'll grant that - but in general the girls seem to work off eachother.

Certainly Nanaese plays a bigger role than Minmey's "girlf friends" who were mainly there to giggle with her when they turned the corner to find Roy waiting for them (smoking! yehaw!)....

Err...but that's niether here nor there...

I really like Alto - I like him more than Hikaru because Alto gets picked on and isn't TREATED like a hotshot - even though he IS a hotshot... he's got spunk and determination, a sense of right and wrong, and he's slowly becoming a good guy for Sheryl - although I must admit he acts all choked up over Ranka - it's kind of like Alto acts towards Ranka like Minmey towards Hikaru ("oh forget all those feelings I seemed to have for you back then! Tee hee!").....

Hmm...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........

I can certainly tell you who I don't like!....Gundam Man, or Henry..Neelson?...What was his blasted name?...Harold? Franko? El Tongue? Basket Head? Brown Nose? Suck Up? Honestly- his name escapes me although it was very distinct...

Oh - now I know!

My favorite character is the Captain of the Neo-Macross, because HE knows how to treat Bridge Bunnies (and they like it!)

No...that's a pretty banal reason to designate him a favorite character...hmm....

I like Bassara and pink bunnies...

Doesn't really matter though..hmm....

Good God - I simply can't pick one! They're all adorable! I like each of them for distinctly different reasons! Egads! What a perfect anime series!

Leon! That's his name - I don't like Leon - but he's kind of like Sentinel Prime in Animated: the guy we love to hate - made specifically to make us grind our teeth (ow - bad sound in the brain that)...

Sorry - I tried - as you can see - I really tried to name a favorite character.

My only hope is that somewhere early in this thread I blurted out something to the extent of "I love Ranka!" --and I can fall back on that :)

VFTF1