Macross Frontier Episode 4 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 4 Rating  

202 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think about episode 4?

• Positive (Go Ranka! Go Alto!)
    • Neutral/No Opinion (explain)
    • Negative (Girl can't sing and the boy can't fly straight)

If u hated the moe that much, then u r going to kill yourself after the next one, heh... (that is, if the story develops just like that of the manga, hehehe).

Oh, Jesus Christ, that's not even funny. I feel so f*cking embarassed watching that kinda crap.

Btw, after watching this episode I just came to this conclusion:

Ranka is ANIMA SPIRITIA. The Vajra are a biomechanical lifeform created by the Supervision Army Protoculture to hunt down & kill ANIMA SPIRITIA. That's why they're after Ranka.

Whaddya think?

Yeah, could be. That's certainly better than the "big secret" about the Vajra revealed this episode by Roy (cos I can't remember his real name).

Namely, that the Vajra killed a bunch of people eleven years ago. OMIGOD NOW YOU KNOW THERE'S NO GOING BACK. Pfft.

I really like the "little" characters in this show. In episode 4 we had the return of Mr "Natural Pork" chef and the debut of Alto's teacher (what a legend)......

Taksraven

post-7338-1209128724_thumb.jpg

post-7338-1209128742_thumb.jpg

Yeah, could be. That's certainly better than the "big secret" about the Vajra revealed this episode by Roy (cos I can't remember his real name).

Namely, that the Vajra killed a bunch of people eleven years ago. OMIGOD NOW YOU KNOW THERE'S NO GOING BACK. Pfft.

I called it

here. Anyway, I already thought it was that kind of thing. It is obvious Ozma can't know many things since he is simply a soldier.

While obviously the authors made him said such things to lure watchers into seeing the next episode, I think you are toning down what is a believable motivation for a character.

FV

Sorry but when I hear KK's voice, I think of Konata from Lucky Star. If you haven't seen it, YOU NEED TO!!!!!! :)

Oh, and you guys getting all bent out of shape about big breasts, GET OVER IT!. It's anime and it's to be expected. :p

This anime is near perfection, any gripes will not be tolerated.

I loved the little tributes to the original SDF:Macross.

There was the elevator sequence of the VF-25 with Alto looking up gradually revealing his face from the shadow, and then the was the asteroid field where Hikaru had one of his first missions.

I loved the little humor moments in this episode. I would like an explanation on what happens to KK when she is micronised though, cause looking at the other pilots, it seems to only effect her. I wonder whether its due to her a stuff up in the micronisation process.

I hope that Mikhail has a sniper special 25, cause I would like there to be another version of the VF-25.

Very nice episode with a lot of funny moments. The fight scenes in this series so far are deliciously fantastic.

The scene with the voluptuous Meltran in her chibi micronized form was great.

:lol:

The Zentran ship graveyard reminded me of the dead Zentraedi holding the Min-Mei doll in the original SDFM. That image really stuck on my mind as a kid

I read on a thread by AiA that there's no real HD RAW and that all of the ones being posted have been upconverted, so I compared all of the ones I've downloaded to the SD versions out there and they do in fact look blown up, so far, to my eyes, the Q-R raws have the best PQ, so I will use those to make the first 4 episode DVD of MacF with Gattai *.ass files. On the other hand, I have yet to come across a 1980 raw, so I wouldn't know how those look.

They have the 1920 raws for the first 2 eps, but then it seems that group stopped releasing.

Yes the 1280x720p is considered an HDTV resolution (Stand Digital was my bad, damn Wikipedia! <_< I should have taken the time to do more research).

http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5137915-1.html

http://www.hdtvinfoport.com/HDTV-Resolution.html

However, if the show is coming out on Bluray, exactly why "upconvert" anything? If your source is 1920x1080p, then you simply downcovert so as not to reinvent the wheel. Downconverting retains the quality of the HD source. Whether it be for broadcast or even authoring a standard DVD.

You see a substantial difference between a 480p picture upconverted to 1080I resolution and a 1080p resolution on a 42" HDTV (already did the experiment). The smaller the screen the more forgiving the upconvert.

Anyway, what we are getting seems to be a 720p HD picture and I have no issues with that.

The Zentran ship graveyard reminded me of the dead Zentraedi holding the Min-Mei doll in the original SDFM. That image really stuck on my mind as a kid

This really worked for me too. I was kinda saddened and affected by that derelict, owing to the scenes you described in the original SDF Macross series. Quite poignant.

From the March 08 Hobby Japan magazine article (see attcahed), I seem to recall they were called Q-Rau Lamda, or something like that. Perhaps somebody can translate again.

Graham

Indeed! I'd be interested to know if the new Q-Rau has a special designation. Help us MW, you're our only hope :)

From the March 08 Hobby Japan magazine article (see attcahed), I seem to recall they were called Q-Rau Lamda, or something like that. Perhaps somebody can translate again.

Graham

No, it's just called Queadluun Rau.

Under the gray ones, it says (roughly), "Formerly, the Meltrandi used these battle suits. There's a group of giant on the Macross Froniter Fleet. In the first place, it's unknown whether or not these units are the same type as the ones from Space War I (in the original Macross)."

Under Klan's unit, it says, "There is also a unit with different coloring." (Thanks a lot, Captain Obvious! I couldn't have figured that out on my own... <_< )

So there's your answer...maybe they're the same, maybe not.

EDIT: typos

Edited by Gubaba

They have the 1920 raws for the first 2 eps, but then it seems that group stopped releasing.

Yes the 1280x720p is considered an HDTV resolution (Stand Digital was my bad, damn Wikipedia! <_< I should have taken the time to do more research).

http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5137915-1.html

http://www.hdtvinfoport.com/HDTV-Resolution.html

However, if the show is coming out on Bluray, exactly why "upconvert" anything? If your source is 1920x1080p, then you simply downcovert so as not to reinvent the wheel. Downconverting retains the quality of the HD source. Whether it be for broadcast or even authoring a standard DVD.

You see a substantial difference between a 480p picture upconverted to 1080I resolution and a 1080p resolution on a 42" HDTV (already did the experiment). The smaller the screen the more forgiving the upconvert.

Anyway, what we are getting seems to be a 720p HD picture and I have no issues with that.

Raws I've seen, do look to be upconverted from a lower resolution than downconverted from a higher res source.

I'm one of the early adopters that got the new players as soon as they came out, I'm pretty familiar with how upconverted video looks compared to actual HD material, and so far the Raws I've gotten look upconverted, but like I said before, I have yet to see either of the 1080p raws, In other threads people were claiming that the Gattai releases had better PQ than AiA, they really don't, you can clearly see the video had been upconverted, either way I like Gattai's presentation better.

And yes, 720p is considered an HD rez, I was not the one arguing that ^_^

You should learn to use the "spoiler" function in the "Insert Special Item" drop down, Az might take exception if you ignore his spoiler rule before the 24 hrs is up.

Yes people, please learn to use spoiler tags. And yes, there is a 24-hour spoiler policy. Oh my, look at the time... guess we don't need the tags.:)

Yep,he's right. It is listed as a Q-Rau Lambda.

The show may refer to it as a "Q-Lambda" or "Quedalin Lambda", though I am not 100% sure...

Maybe we've been mistranslating all this time and what the creators originally intended the translation of the Q's was Quedalin-Rho (as in the Greek alphabet Rho) somehow lost to the Japanese when converted to the western vernacular which makes sense for the Q-Lambda.

Maybe we've been mistranslating all this time and what the creators originally intended the translation of the Q's was Quedalin-Rho (as in the Greek alphabet Rho) somehow lost to the Japanese when converted to the western vernacular which makes sense for the Q-Lambda.

Does it really matter? :p:)

You fool! STOP! You'll incur the wrath of the mech-heads on this board, and not only do they know the EXACT specifications of the GU-11 gunpod, they KNOW HOW TO USE THEM, TOO!!

*sigh*

You've doomed us all...

*evil laughter is heard throughout the board* MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You could have something there...

Well, while we're all waiting for MisaForever's Daicon IV-like messy death, that HobbyFan article had me wondering...it clearly says that Meltrandi piloted Q-Raus FORMERLY...So is Klan some kind of RenFaire style throwback, keeping the old traditions alive...?

Must be hard to remain an uncultured Zentradi in 2059...

Well, while we're all waiting for MisaForever's Daicon IV-like messy death, that HobbyFan article had me wondering...it clearly says that Meltrandi piloted Q-Raus FORMERLY...So is Klan some kind of RenFaire style throwback, keeping the old traditions alive...?

Must be hard to remain an uncultured Zentradi in 2059...

I don't know what a Daicon IV is and I don't care so meh!!! :p Mecha talk should go in the mech thread :)

I don't know what a Daicon IV is and I don't care so meh!!! :p Mecha talk should go in the mech thread :)

Well considering it was a student project by the founders of Gainax you may want to find it. The video has been referenced in FLCL and Densha Otoko (Train Man - where they re-animated the video as the openning animation for the live action show.. :D )

The Daicon Conventions are SF conventions in Osaka, Japan, starting way back in the 60s and they still continues today. The official convention is Nihon SF Taikai, but most fans refer to the various convention by their nicknames (hence Daicon).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daicon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daicon_IV

I have the Daicon III and Daicon IV videos (low res) and they are truly nostalic and tongue in cheek funny in a way only the Japanese can do... :)

There's a Star Wars manga? "How bizarre, how bizarre" :)

http://www.starwars.com/eu/lit/comics/f20080227/index.html

"Yes my young Padawan, you still have much to learn..."

Edited by Zinjo

This is the zentradi weapon everyone is talking about. Apparently, they carried it home since the GUs are uneffective aginst the Vajira. This weapon, on the contrary.. Maybe SMS will study it and create new weapons/ammo that can actually be useful in combat? ^_^

post-6533-1209149215_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nexx Stalker

In this case even Egan would be wrong, which I doubt. Besides, Rho is a letter which comes after Lambda, so it doesn't make any sense. Last of all, in the manga is written in katakana Queadluun Rau Lambda.

FV

Just running through bits of the episode again, trying to pick out who won the contest.. assuming it's that girl in the red dress they show (I can't tell what they're announcing at that point, I'm guessing it's the winner), it sounds like her name is Miata Marin... Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the actress favored to win the original Miss Macross named Janice Marin?

I have to say too, the more I hear of the end theme, the more I think of Cowboy Bebop.. the intro to the song is more strings, but the second half picks up that same kind of swing/jazz-ish groove that the Bebop ending (Real Folk Blues) has, only even better. I love when Kanno does jazzy. ^_^

sounds like Miranda Mary (Marin?)... finally the Marin family gets to win Miss Macross!! :lol:

Never give up hope!! :ph34r:

Is it just me or the SMS have a very crowded hangar there. If SMS flagship is indeed a Macross class ship they should have a spacious hangar, I wonder how many squadron SMS have.

Space is always at a premium in on a carrier, a hangar that full and well equipped means their procurement officer is on the ball and gets his personnel the gear they need. But I don't think the hangar they have been launching from is on board the battle section, I think it is one of the secondary hangar bays in the city section given the look of the launching port. Makes more sense that way, with battle 25 being all the way at the bow and the SMS building being in the center of town one of the secondary bays would be a lot closer for those pilots who spend a good portion of their time not on base, after all M:25 in total is not just a big ship but a massive ship. Besides I think that battle 25 and everything about her will be revealed in later episodes.

I've seen this brought up several times, and it doesn't make any sense to me. I've seen several members refer to Ranka and/or Sheryl as "Anima Spiritia", which doesn't make any sense to me, unless they are assuming the Protodeviln are the main antagonists of Frontier.