Macross Frontier Episode 4 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 4 Rating  

202 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think about episode 4?

• Positive (Go Ranka! Go Alto!)
    • Neutral/No Opinion (explain)
    • Negative (Girl can't sing and the boy can't fly straight)

My (group) release is in mp4. It also should be compatible with the 360 right away, I think. The encoder has been encoding directly for his Xbox as of late I believe so it should be compatible.

Well, it's what we assume to be a defect. The word Mikhail uses literally means "clumsy" which could possibly mean anything in actual science. It's possible that the micronization (or miclone-nization, however you prefer it) just doesn't like her and it scrambles her DNA during the process but it fits back into normal when she's at her normal size.

sorry, i got confused there. For some reason i was thinking of gattai and their mkv releases. My bad, yeah yours plays just fine on ps3/360. :lol:

According to the official character synopsis, Catherine Glass was a runner up in a Miss Macross competition, not the winner.

Graham

Would have been nice if she had won though..... :lol:

I just saw it today, and I just wanted to say........Ranka's VF Backpack FTW!!!!! :lol:

ALSO......Q-Raus pwns!!!! :ph34r: I mean just WOW!!! its already 40+ years old and its still able to give the VF-25 "a run for its money." Just WOW!!!

C. There are things which should not be done. Chibi-meltrans rank very high in that list.

I don'n knwo JBO. It could be the sign of the times I guess. :mellow:

One of the points i brought up. She may or may not be 100% zentran , which doesn't really matter since humans are able to go through the micro/macronisation process as well. The question is was she originally a 1st gen zentran giant (bred by cloning) or she was born from one or a pair of zentran parents, which through the magic of culture was born micronised. Unless of course giant zentrans banging each other should still be possible....but quite gross to imagine. :lol:

ewwww....... :wacko:

ALSO......Q-Raus pwns!!!! :ph34r: I mean just WOW!!! its already 40+ years old and its still able to give the VF-25 "a run for its money." Just WOW!!!

The Frontier Q-Rau, is definitely not the same as the SDFM/DYRL Q-Rau.

Not just the weapons, which is the most obvious difference, but there are many other differences as well to the head, body arms and legs, which you can see if you study the lineart of the two types.

Graham

The Frontier Q-Rau, is definitely not the same as the SDFM/DYRL Q-Rau.

Not just the weapons, which is the most obvious difference, but there are many other differences as well to the head, body arms and legs, which you can see if you study the lineart of the two types.

Graham

Oh I see. Never would have realized, since its been a while since I saw either SDFm or DYRL. :wacko:

Anyways was'nt anybody having this weird since of Deja Vu when K.K. defended Zentran Technology. She reminded me a lot of Revy from Black Lagoon, the only thing missing was for her to call Altoh "Rock," and Ozma "Dutch." :lol:

I'm still a little bit disturbed by the Pixie Squadron carrying around live ordinance in a freaking training exercise. :ph34r: If I was Alto, Mikhail or Luca I'd be shaking in my suit by now. One wrong flick of the switch and its "adios muchachos." :ph34r:

EDIT: The V.A. for K.K. is Megumi Toyoguchi, who also voiced Revy in B.L. I'm stuck on stupid. :lol:

Edited by grss1982

Macross Frontier episode four continues to meet expectations and provides some great action and a lot of entertaining humor. The Zentradi make a very flashy return to the Macross universe as we're treated to three Meltrandi piloting newly designed Queadluun-Rau Lambda battle suits. Giant sized and all, the new Q-Rau proves it's just as deadly as the latest VF-25. Watching the Q-Rau in action is a true delight for long time Macross fans and the new CG animation doesn't fail to do this mecha justice. We also get some more setting embelishments as the main action in this episode takes place in amongst a 7,000 year-old Zentradi battle site filled with destroyed Zentradi warships and mecha. This provides more history for new fans and wlecome reference for old fans.

The characters continue to develop at a very satisfying pace. We learn that Alto, though being harshly run through the training guantlet at SMS, is highly skilled and exceeding the expectations of his fellow pilots. The montage of Alto's training provides some hilarious situations for our hero. Alto just can't seem to catch his breath taking a beating (literally) both at SMS from Ozuma or at school from his teachers. Meanwhile Ranka begins down a path to attaining her dreams and enters the 12th Miss Macross Frontier beauty pageant. Lt. Glass and her boyfriend Chief of Staff Leon Mishima are on hand for judging, but Glass notices Leon has plans for Ranka. Ranka is nervous and not quite as composed as she should be for the contest, but nonetheless gives her all in a great rendition of My Boyfriend Is A Pilot a song made famous by the original Macross idol Lynn Minmay. In amongst the contest, we are also introduced ever so briefly to Ranzo Saotome, Alto's disapproving father. Looks like more pressure is on the horizon for our dear hero

Episode four also provides a little background into Ranka's past and the Vajra. Seems the latest nemesis of the UNG has been attacking them in stages for a little more than 11 years now and is responsible for the death of Ranka's entire family aboard the 117th Research Fleet. It's also revealed that Alto has some more elaborate motives of his own, as he has a strong desire to defeat the Vajra and protect Ranka. It's likely no coincidence that Ranka was present at two major Vajra attacks, but we'll have to wait to see more.

Lastly, the meltran pilot Klan Klein is introduced in this episode. While a deadly and beautiful female pilot when in her giant sized Zentradi form, the poor woman has a rare genetic discrepency which causes her to revert to an adolescent girl when she undergoes the micloning process for reduction to human size. Mikhail in particular delights in mocking poor Klan Klein in her miclone form and provides some of the funniest moments in Macross Frontier to date. No doubt we can look forward to more fun from these two as the series progresses.

Again, the new Macross Frontier series pays plenty of homage to the original Super Dimension Fortress Macross series, but continues to charge in new directions. The homages often make us think we know what will happen, only to have the unexpected throw us right off. The series stands well on it's own, but as a long time fan I'm loving the way Kawamori is playing with audience expectations and constantly throwing us off what we think will happen.

Next up, episode five. Deculture! :)

Yes, you'd be correct if this was an army, except space forces are commonly treated as navies.

Traditionally, we've used Army/JASDF ranks for Macross. But If you guys want to use Maritime/Navy ranks, go ahead.

Watching the subbed version makes the judges veeeeeeery creepy...

"She was really cute" ---> "I like to jerk off onto the faces of 5-year-old girls"

"The way she fell down was cute" ---> "I do like a good upskirt shot every now and then, mmmyes"

Leon probably told them something like, "If you don't want me to expose the illegal videotapes you made, you probably should vote with some more objectivity."

"She was really cute" ---> "I like to jerk off onto the faces of 5-year-old girls"

"The way she fell down was cute" ---> "I do like a good upskirt shot every now and then, mmmyes"

Leon probably told them something like, "If you don't want me to expose the illegal videotapes you made, you probably should vote with some more objectivity."

actually, the subs don't make the judges look creepy but this post sure does make you look creepy. :blink::ph34r:

Wow... So um, anyways...

I loved this episode. When the Q-Rau opened its cockpit, I was alomost expecting it to be outfitted for a normal human, but was quite pleased to see a full-sized Zentradi causing the ground to shake. I loved how Klan says that she loves the Q-Rau because even after 1000 years, they still work perfectly. So I assume this "new" model of Q-Rau was just a refitted old one? As others have said before, this series is great for old time fans. It almost feels like the first true sequel to the original, and is ending up to be much better than I thought it would.

Then again, the scene where Klan Klein is engaging the Vajra, Gattai subs make a bit more sense:

Gattai subs:

KK: I'm on my way back from surveillance, so I've got live ammo.

AiA subs:

KK: This is what we were searching for! We have actual ammo too!

:lol:

They're probably right actually. I was pretty tired so I heard "teisatsu gari" instead of "teisatsu gaeri" which I mistook for "target hunting." On second hear, they're right. Or the sexiness of full sized Klein had the same effect as Jolly Bald on me, wait...

Ah, that makes more sense about the "fifty". I was wondering what the heck that was about in the Gattai sub.

According to the official character synopsis, Catherine Glass was a runner up in a Miss Macross competition, not the winner.

So, that's +1 for AiA and +1 for Gattai! :D

Graham

Well hey, you're right. :lol:

I think Jolly Bald (the nickname I gave for the dude) got me all scared and confused :ph34r: . There IS a nice little vocal snafu in the show though. The announcer says 12th Miss Macross contest but it's shown as the 20th.

]ANother question between the Gattai subs and the AiA I-Z release: is Ranka the "only survivor" of the 117th Research Fleet, or "one of the only"?

Probably "one of the only." I think I did "only survivor" because I assumed she was the only one and that would make her stock as a target for Leon a lot higher. The specific line he says is "Sono ikinokori da" which doesn't specify how many people survived, just the fact that she did.

Wish I had the Close Caption stream, would be so much easier. Scanlating manga sure has its upsides. :lol:

I loved this episode. When the Q-Rau opened its cockpit, I was alomost expecting it to be outfitted for a normal human, but was quite pleased to see a full-sized Zentradi causing the ground to shake. I loved how Klan says that she loves the Q-Rau because even after 1000 years, they still work perfectly. So I assume this "new" model of Q-Rau was just a refitted old one? As others have said before, this series is great for old time fans. It almost feels like the first true sequel to the original, and is ending up to be much better than I thought it would.

I think Klan was referring to the cannon that Alto used during the battle. It was drifting in space for thousands of years, but still worked. You'll note the scene focused on the gun lying upon the ground, then titled and panned right to show Klan's Q-Rau Lambda; she then proudly proclaimed the virtues of Zentradi technology.

I agree about Macross Frontier; it is a big win so far. I only worry about the ending, but so far this series is much more than I expected. Thoroughly enjoying it.

Can somebody tell me what Sheryl is chasing Alto for?

In the 2nd episode they show her watching video of Alto carrying her but I never saw this happen in episode 1. Is this where she lost an earring or something? Wouldn't it be lost on the stage instead of with Alto???

I really don't get it and am quite confused.

After seeing the 4th episode, I have to say this is a must-see. Still has some gripes against the character designs and some characterization (excess of bishonen/gay stuff).

On the subs department, with some slips here and there, I think they mostly help grasp the general idea of each episode. What I would really ask for, is for at least one group keep releasing HD formats (at least 720p) using H264 codec for video and MP4 extension. Me and my PS3 would be happy campers. We're already delighted with Q-R raws (1080p!) ^_^

Can somebody tell me what Sheryl is chasing Alto for?

In the 2nd episode they show her watching video of Alto carrying her but I never saw this happen in episode 1. Is this where she lost an earring or something? Wouldn't it be lost on the stage instead of with Alto???

I really don't get it and am quite confused.

you know another thing that was confusing was in ep3 while jumping into the emergency shelter it clearly shows that she has her missing earring on

I think Jolly Bald (the nickname I gave for the dude) got me all scared and confused :ph34r: . There IS a nice little vocal snafu in the show though. The announcer says 12th Miss Macross contest but it's shown as the 20th.

yea i noticed the stage says 20th but was announced as the 12th. figured 12th should be correct coz Cathy would be very very old if its 20th this time :ph34r:

you know another thing that was confusing was in ep3 while jumping into the emergency shelter it clearly shows that she has her missing earring on

She thinks Alto has her earring, and

its later revealed to be a family heirloom

one thing about M:Frontier is the animation inconsistencies are really starting to pile up. Lots of them EVERY episode... zzz

are they rushing the animation?

one thing about M:Frontier is the animation inconsistencies are really starting to pile up. Lots of them EVERY episode... zzz

are they rushing the animation?

Could be seeing how i think i twas a year ago when they that Macross idol contest I think in Japan am I correct?

Animation be it hand drawn/flash/CGI does take time. Espically CGI.

I've actually got a new found respect for these animators after trying to do it myself and seeing just how freakin difficult it is to make a drawn figure move a frame at a time.

After seeing the 4th episode, I have to say this is a must-see. Still has some gripes against the character designs and some characterization (excess of bishonen/gay stuff).

On the subs department, with some slips here and there, I think they mostly help grasp the general idea of each episode. What I would really ask for, is for at least one group keep releasing HD formats (at least 720p) using H264 codec for video and MP4 extension. Me and my PS3 would be happy campers. We're already delighted with Q-R raws (1080p!) ^_^

The transport stream raws all captured off Japanese TV are actually 1440x1080i; Japanese networks do not broadcast in 1080p. Anime itself is usually animated at SD or 720p, so there is no real point in releasing at 1080 since there is no noticeable increase in quality. Macross Frontier's TV airing is definitely SD upscaled but it still looks good (in motion) at 720p so I leave it at that size.

Could be seeing how i think i twas a year ago when they that Macross idol contest I think in Japan am I correct?

Animation be it hand drawn/flash/CGI does take time. Espically CGI.

I've actually got a new found respect for these animators after trying to do it myself and seeing just how freakin difficult it is to make a drawn figure move a frame at a time.

sure there are some animation problems but I find the overall quality to be very good and I think it compares pretty favorably compared to other current series such as gundam 00

The transport stream raws all captured off Japanese TV are actually 1440x1080i; Japanese networks do not broadcast in 1080p. Anime itself is usually animated at SD or 720p, so there is no real point in releasing at 1080 since there is no noticeable increase in quality. Macross Frontier's TV airing is definitely SD upscaled but it still looks good (in motion) at 720p so I leave it at that size.

Agreed. But there are those nuts out there that HAVE TO HAVE THE BIGGEST AND THE BEST AND OMG IT HAS TO BE HUUUUGGGEEE!!!!! :p:)

I think Klan was referring to the cannon that Alto used during the battle. It was drifting in space for thousands of years, but still worked. You'll note the scene focused on the gun lying upon the ground, then titled and panned right to show Klan's Q-Rau Lambda; she then proudly proclaimed the virtues of Zentradi technology.

Ok, gotcha.

sure there are some animation problems but I find the overall quality to be very good and I think it compares pretty favorably compared to other current series such as gundam 00

It looks brilliant in motion but just make sure you don't ever hit pause. The TV airing of this show isn't very screencappable because of its SD nature. Hopefully the BDs will feature significantly greater detail so I don't have to gag every time I hit pause during one of the awesome looking fight scenes.

I would like to say thanks to Shouta and Eej for providing the subs. :) Hope you don't mind us making comparisons between both your work. We're nitpicking. :D

Eej, please keep releasing the *.ass files cause then I can play it with any other version (1080). :) Thanks!!