Macross Frontier Episode 4 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 4 Rating  

202 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think about episode 4?

• Positive (Go Ranka! Go Alto!)
    • Neutral/No Opinion (explain)
    • Negative (Girl can't sing and the boy can't fly straight)

While there where a lot of bouncy (but fully covered boobies) in episode #4, I find it interesting that with Ranka and Sheryl, the producers have gone out of their way to avoid fanservice upskirt panty shots so far despite many opportunities (refering to the anime, not the manga, which is a whole different kettle of fish).

There's been a few times so far when Ranka has fallen down and although her skirt has risen up, they have stopped short of showing her panties.

Same with Sheryl. In the scene where she jumps into the shelter, she makes a point of pulling down her skirt, so her panties can't been seen. In the zero-g arrival scene in episode #1/Deculture edition, they preserve Sheyrl's dignity and don't let her panties show.

Graham

Is it just me, or is all this talk about what they do or don't show of the girls' bodies getting a little...obssessive...?

(And, uh...pay no attention to my new signature as you ponder that... :rolleyes: )

Edited by Gubaba

Just to add confusion... there is a "misutaa" before "birura". It could be as well be "Mr. Happyruler" :p

FV

Misutaa Birura = Mr. Brera = BRERA STERNE???!!!! (Btw, Brera Sterne means "Brera of the Stars" or "Brera Star" in German...).

Is this character the owner/director/head honcho of S.M.S.?

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

While there where a lot of bouncy (but fully covered boobies) in episode #4, I find it interesting that with Ranka and Sheryl, the producers have gone out of their way to avoid fanservice upskirt panty shots so far despite many opportunities (refering to the anime, not the manga, which is a whole different kettle of fish).

There's been a few times so far when Ranka has fallen down and although her skirt has risen up, they have stopped short of showing her panties.

Same with Sheryl. In the scene where she jumps into the shelter, she makes a point of pulling down her skirt, so her panties can't been seen. In the zero-g arrival scene in episode #1/Deculture edition, they preserve Sheyrl's dignity and don't let her panties show.

Graham

Wait up for the DVD uncensored release. ^_^

Besides.....dunno what's the deal with boobs on this boards. After all.....

flatchestub7.jpg

flatchestub7.a23873f5ff.jpg

While we wait for episode 5 to air, here's an amazing fan art of the Pixie Squadron:

cd45efbd36242f649618921uc3.th.jpg

That image is win. Thanks for sharing. :lol:

Misutaa Birura = Mr. Brera = BRERA STERNE???!!!! (Btw, Brera Sterne means "Brera of the Stars" or "Brera Star" in German...).

Is this character the owner/director/head honcho of S.M.S.?

The SMS comander is Jeffrey Wilder, so no, It's not Brera Sterne.

She's 1/4 Zentradi, so that doesn't quite work. Plus she was a survivor of the 117th Research Fleet, not a captive of. Also, the Varja first attack around the time of Sheryl's concert.

I'm not dissagreeing, just saying that all we really know about her is what Ozma has said. And usually in anime, it didn't happen 100% unless there's flashback animation. Also, just before Sheryl's concert, she sang her Nyan Nyan song... Could very easily be wrong, but any of her background info at this point could change as the series goes along.

Edited by Keith

The SMS comander is Jeffrey Wilder, so no, It's not Brera Sterne.

Commander may not be mr. head honcho at all. Mr. Birurira/Brera might be the main sponsor/owner of SMS. The power of capitalism after all allows you to wear androgynous clothings and not be deemed weird. :lol:

Yeah, I also doubt that Jeffrey Wilder is the owner or CEO or head honcho of SMS. He's probably just the local commander of the SMS forces that are stationed in the Frontier Fleet.

I'm making an assumption here, but I'm assuming that there's more to SMS than what we have seen and just like modern day private military contractors that have operations all around the world, SMS may actually be a much larger organisation with operations going on all over the galaxy.

Graham

I would go so far as saying that the Boob scene was a bit of self-criticism on the part of anime - it was intentionally mocking this aspect of anime - and it had a perfect occasion to do so - because that was in fact reflective of how Ranka felt intimidated :)

VFTF1

I thought that to. I really think it was a "wink,wink" shot at Shadow Chronicles. Especially when Klan came out of a Quadranno Rau.

Edited by terry the lone wolf

Yeah, I also doubt that Jeffrey Wilder is the owner or CEO or head honcho of SMS. He's probably just the local commander of the SMS forces that are stationed in the Frontier Fleet.

I'm making an assumption here, but I'm assuming that there's more to SMS than what we have seen and just like modern day private military contractors that have operations all around the world, SMS may actually be a much larger organisation with operations going on all over the galaxy.

Graham

Umbrella corporation anyone? :lol:

I was thinking about the X-gears, considering it gives a boost in strength to the pilot, it allows the interface with the VF-25 and works as a escape capsule, do we know if it also helps mitigate or cancel the effects of g forces on the pilots body? Considering that other sci fi series have inertia dampeners in their space craft it wouldn't be too far fetch that some kind of development on creating faster VFs without making the pilot go all squeechy

I'd really hate to see them resort to that.

Macross has always been a little more grounded in reality than most mech shows.

There's no minovsky particles to justify melee combat, no superheroes with magic powers(despite the zentradi's belief to the contrary), no magic bullets.

An inertial damper is a cheap excuse. Trekbabble, even. It's a field that Macross has largely avoided.

The fold generators are a necessary evil for interstellar travel.

The "shields" are quite limited in functionality.

The big gun... is just a big gun, albeit one that uses "super-dimension energy." It lacks any particularly notable capabilities like homing or a stun setting. The zentradi guns have been shown bending, but only near the ship. Once they leave, they're always shown travelling in a straight line.

Even when they dig out the superweapon, it's just a REALLY big gun. That can't even be aimed.

Inertial dampers are absurdly out of scale with that. They fundamentally change everything.

Imagine Macross Plus(movie edition, of course!) with inertial dampers. Guld, having a featherlight plane and body, could fly circles around the Ghost, transform, barrier-punch it, then wipe the sweat off his brow and hit the bar afterwards.

Let the power suit stay an emergency survival mechanism. Don't make it a magic bullet.

Right now, it's fairly well-grounded, aside from the fact that I don't know where they think they're storing the jetpack fuel.

Besides, it'd be BORING if the pilots didn't get slung around the cockpit as they made high-G maneuvers. :p

what about artificial gravity? :)

Purely aesthetic.

There's a convenient and easily-implemented low-tech solution. You just spin the ship.

Unless you mean on the hulls. In which case I'd recommend magnetic boots/mecha feet.

Purely aesthetic.

There's a convenient and easily-implemented low-tech solution. You just spin the ship.

Unless you mean on the hulls. In which case I'd recommend magnetic boots/mecha feet.

hehhe, yeah, that's why we have rotating colonies in Gundam or even those living quarters in the battleship Ahgama. Many other sci-fi have rotating space stations too.

but sci-fi such as star wars and macross prefer the convenience of 'magical' gravity generators - solves alot of problems. :p

hopefully mankind can create something similar in real-life if not its gonna make space travel very problematic for man.

Forgive me if this has been brought up already, but I just watched episode 4 today (skipping Gattai, wait for AiA) and while I'm really digging this show, Klein Klan is the worst thing that's happened to Macross since faces on Valkyries. I don't care if they explain away her issue with some "genes are screwed up" line, taking a perfectly fine Zentraedi warrior, micronizing her, and having her turn into not just a child, but a cheesy caricature of every bossy underage girl that's ever turned up in anime is just a travesty.

Because Macross is SERIOUS BUISNESS right?

Shame on the inferior loons who state that Gundam can be compared to something as wonderful as Macross. :D

Yeah, Macross is wonderful but not as wonderful as Gundam.

To put things simple : Macross = Ranka, Gundam = Nanase.

The bigger, the better. :lol:

Edited by Macross007

Yeah, Macross is wonderful but not as wonderful as Gundam.

To put things simple : Macross = Ranka, Gundam = Nanase.

The bigger, the better. :lol:

hmm but some folks prefer flat / smaller ones... :ph34r:

looks at MisaForever's avatar :lol:

jk :p

love both Gundam and Macross, but Frontier is currently my fav :)

Edited by Shun

hmm but some folks prefer flat / smaller ones... :ph34r:

looks at MisaForever's avatar :lol:

jk :p

love both Gundam and Macross, but Frontier is currently my fav :)

And look at your avatar. You don't seem to prefer flat and small girls. :p

hehhe, yeah, that's why we have rotating colonies in Gundam or even those living quarters in the battleship Ahgama. Many other sci-fi have rotating space stations too.

but sci-fi such as star wars and macross prefer the convenience of 'magical' gravity generators - solves alot of problems. :p

Yeah.

Especially for the ship hulls, in Macross' case.

Though I never saw a really good reason for that, it at least made the destroids useful.

hopefully mankind can create something similar in real-life if not its gonna make space travel very problematic for man.

Yeah.

Of course, faster-than-light travel is the treknology we REALLY want.

And then we can find some aliens to pick a fight with!

I don't see Klein as a travesty - I actually find the character very endearing; and the manga-ish elements that creep into the anime are actually quite charming.

There was also a comment made somewhere about how they were going overboard with the homages. Well - in a way you can never pelase people. If they didn't do homages, we would likely be writing a million posts about how much better SDF-M was because of this or that, and now since we get lots of homages some people are growing weary of them.

But I actually like what's happening. Kawamori is treating the original material with respect - and he understands that change must be gradual; if certain things we love and cherish are to be changed - they must do so for well established reasons...

Besides - while the formula may remain the same - we are getting a number of twists and turns which play with us in a very nice way. That and the characters are all unique enough that when you watch Sheryl, Ranka and Alto - you KNOW it's not a rehashing of Misa, Ichijo and Minmey...

I find Macross Frontier to be a flawless undertaking so far. And I do mean flawless. I love Macross 7, but it is in many ways an amazingly radical departure and in that sense does leave one "missing Macross." Plus does the same for me. The only other Macross series which I give top marks to is Zero - but that's not really a series...

So hands down Frontier is the best thing to happen to the Macross universe since 1982 :)

VFTF1

Shame on infidels who does not respect that legendary anime called Gundam.

Gundam is really hit and miss, especially the Tomino stuff.

The 3 movie version of MS Gundam as well as most of the UC OAV & Movies and a couple of notable AU's (Turn A, and 00) were really, really good. However the UC tv shows go from mediocre to terrible (Z > ZZ > V). All 3 of those shows were so incredibly drawn out and boring, they had one-dimensional characters, boring plots, boring factions and forced melodrama. Character deaths usually hit me hard, but in the UC TV shows I simply didn't care, because everyone was so completely interchangeable. Thats not to say they didn't have any redeeming factors. Z had Quattro, ZZ had Haman Karn, V had... well it sucked hard but the mobile suits were cool. It's like Tomino somehow fluked out when creating Char, Amuro, and Lalah; because was never able to create a compelling cast again (until he returned to the helm for Turn A).

To put this in perspective, I just started watching Eureka 7, and there has been more character development, and plot movement in 4 episodes than in 40 episodes of Victory Gundam. No joke.

Edited by Sketch

I'm normally too busy discussing toys to visit these sections, but I just caught up with Frontier and there's a couple of tings I want to get out of my chest.

Not to polemisize or anything, I understand most people here is partial to anything Macross, but so far I've found Frontier a poor remake of more successful installments of the franchise. We all know Macross is all about transforming planes, corny songs that save the day and love triangles, but this time they didn't just choose to remake some of the most memorable moments of SDFM instead of creating new ones, they even copied the characters! (I'm aware that this must've been said tons of times already, but I'm too lazy to read through the whole thread).

I'll keep buying Macross and Macross Frontier merchandise (specially toys), because I'm a big Macross fan myself, and I'm aware that the series is just beginning, but so far I have the impression that the creative minds behind Frontier were a little lazy if not mild this time around.

Gundam is really hit and miss, especially the Tomino stuff.

The 3 movie version of MS Gundam as well as most of the UC OAV & Movies and a couple of notable AU's (Turn A, and 00) were really, really good. However the UC tv shows go from mediocre to terrible (Z > ZZ > V). All 3 of those shows were so incredibly drawn out and boring, they had one-dimensional characters, boring plots, boring factions and forced melodrama. Character deaths usually hit me hard, but in the UC TV shows I simply didn't care, because everyone was so completely interchangeable. Thats not to say they didn't have any redeeming factors. Z had Quattro, ZZ had Haman Karn, V had... well it sucked hard but the mobile suits were cool. It's like Tomino somehow fluked out when creating Char, Amuro, and Lalah; because was never able to create a compelling cast again (until he returned to the helm for Turn A).

To put this in perspective, I just started watching Eureka 7, and there has been more character development, and plot movement in 4 episodes than in 40 episodes of Victory Gundam. No joke.

Whereas for me, the Tomino stuff is the best (um...except for ZZ...), with Zeta being one of my all-time favorite animes. WAAAY better than, say, the 08th MS Team (which I hated, although I seem to be alone on that). *shrug* No accounting for taste, eh?

I'm normally too busy discussing toys to visit these sections, but I just caught up with Frontier and there's a couple of tings I want to get out of my chest.

Not to polemisize or anything, I understand most people here is partial to anything Macross, but so far I've found Frontier a poor remake of more successful installments of the franchise. We all know Macross is all about transforming planes, corny songs that save the day and love triangles, but this time they didn't just choose to remake some of the most memorable moments of SDFM instead of creating new ones, they even copied the characters! (I'm aware that this must've been said tons of times already, but I'm too lazy to read through the whole thread).

I'll keep buying Macross and Macross Frontier merchandise (specially toys), because I'm a big Macross fan myself, and I'm aware that the series is just beginning, but so far I have the impression that the creative minds behind Frontier were a little lazy if not mild this time around.

Oh, ye of little faith...after five episodes it really seems to be sprouting in all sorts of new directions (to me, at least).

Just out of curiosity, which characters do you see as copies?

Aside from the colors of the valkyries they fly, I don't see any similarities to the cast of SDF Macross thus far.

Whereas for me, the Tomino stuff is the best (um...except for ZZ...), with Zeta being one of my all-time favorite animes. WAAAY better than, say, the 08th MS Team (which I hated, although I seem to be alone on that). *shrug* No accounting for taste, eh?

Oh, ye of little faith...after five episodes it really seems to be sprouting in all sorts of new directions (to me, at least).

Yeah, this is probably a good example of why it is always best to qualify opinions as such. I'm personally with you, and think Z Gundam is great (and I've always been under the impression it was fairly well-regarded in general), but Sketch certainly shows that there are plenty of people with contrary opinions.

Personally though I still think Tomino's masterpiece is Turn A Gundam (and I'm still waiting for Bandai to release it in the US), but I can understand that other people have issues with it for one reason or other.

-Elektrix