Macross Frontier Episode 4 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 4 Rating  

202 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think about episode 4?

• Positive (Go Ranka! Go Alto!)
    • Neutral/No Opinion (explain)
    • Negative (Girl can't sing and the boy can't fly straight)

Crap, I didn't even put that together...I blame Shinsen Subs: they have a different name for him in every episode: Mr. Habiller, Mr. Viller, Mr. Bilra...

But yeah...I think you're right.

I've watched 4 different subs of episode 1, and not a single one names the guy Mr Brera. Its doesn't sound like Brera. Hell, if it turns out to be him, fire the President's seiyuu, cause he sucks. :)

I've watched 4 different subs of episode 1, and not a single one names the guy Mr Brera. Its doesn't sound like Brera. Hell, if it turns out to be him, fire the President's seiyuu, cause he sucks. :)

It could just be wonky spelling...KK's last name doesn't sound like "Klein," either. Seeing the katakana would be a big help in figuring it out.

I strongly doubt that Habbiller and Brera are the same character.

My prediction about Alto getting injured in the episode "Friendly Fire" is not from any inside knowledge, just if we follow the whole homage trend, it's likely we'll get a homage of the SDFM TV episode where Hikaru gets hit by friendly missile fire. Only in this case, Hikaru = Alto.

Graham

"Friendly Fire" = Alto is injured and hospitalized in a friendly fire incident during combat.

Graham

Let me quess, Alto messed up when a certain Macross class ship perform Daedalus maneuvers.

I strongly doubt that Habbiller and Brera are the same character.

My prediction about Alto getting injured in the episode "Friendly Fire" is not from any inside knowledge, just if we follow the whole homage trend, it's likely we'll get a homage of the SDFM TV episode where Hikaru gets hit by friendly missile fire. Only in this case, Hikaru = Alto.

Graham

Ah yes, good call.

ブレラ・ストーン is the name...I'll have to watch episode one again, but the name the president said only MIGHT be ブレラ. And ストーン is so not pronounced "Sterne"...

Its Stone. :)

ブレラ・ストーン is the name...I'll have to watch episode one again, but the name the president said only MIGHT be ブレラ. And ストーン is so not pronounced "Sterne"...

the President mentioned him again i think in ep 2 when Leon gives him the casualty/damage report. Brera may be a top fighter pilot or someone very knowledgeable about the vajra...

Since we always get something different in the homages, maybe it could be Alto shooting someone from SMS down, cos he's always so hot headed and trigger-happy, maybe it'd teach him to be more cool-headed and we can see him grow from there. :ph34r:

Edited by Shun

Since we always get something different in the homages, maybe it could be Alto shooting someone from SMS down, cos he's always so hot headed and trigger-happy, maybe it'd teach him to be more cool-headed and we can see him grow from there. :ph34r:

Poor poor Luca :lol:, but maybe while in the hospital he's visited by Nanase B))

Crap, I didn't even put that together...I blame Shinsen Subs: they have a different name for him in every episode: Mr. Habiller, Mr. Viller, Mr. Bilra...

But yeah...I think you're right.

aww, u cant blame them, they dont have japanese subs to work from right? :p very hard to hear and guess names correctly.

iirc, just after the Deculture edition, we have first seen Brera's pic for ep 2 but he didn't appear, so his appearance could've been planned but later removed, and his role could've been that he's being contacted by the president? just some wild guess :ph34r:

Edited by Shun

Good call, that would be a nice twist on things.

Graham

I can definitely see it as Alto possibly injuring/killing someone else in his squad. If we really want to screw with the formula, just think of what it'd do to the story if he wound up actually killing Ozma somehow.. :blink: I don't think SK would be that cruel, but admit it, it would throw the entire story into the unknown, not to mention toss Ranka's sanity to the wolves. As far as a worst case scenario, I'd say it's possible.

What I'm really hoping for this Sterne character is that he doesn't turn out to be a Basara wannabe, with another musical fighter craft. :ph34r:

Edited by Chronocidal

I can definitely see it as Alto possibly injuring/killing someone else in his squad. If we really want to screw with the formula, just think of what it'd do to the story if he wound up actually killing Ozma somehow.. :blink: I don't think SK would be that cruel, but admit it, it would throw the entire story into the unknown, not to mention toss Ranka's sanity to the wolves. As far as a worst case scenario, I'd say it's possible.

What I'm really hoping for this Sterne character is that he doesn't turn out to be a Basara wannabe, with another musical fighter craft. :ph34r:

Agreed. We've already had one person shout "Listen to my song!" in MF, we don't need two.

But I think it's too early for Ozma to die. Not sayin' it won't happen, but...not yet.

Based on past experiences, though, the odds of surviving a Macross series are pretty good. Higher than, say, a Gundam series.

Let me quess, Alto messed up when a certain Macross class ship perform Daedalus maneuvers.

Stop IT. :angry: You are making my mouth water at the prospect of a such a maneuver being animated. <_<:p

The problem though of such a maneuver is that there aren't any destroids anymore, well except of course for the VB-6 Konig. And I cant imagine the Konig plus some tanks (like the one in episode 1) being the only one in the Deadalus' hull when the hatch opens to fire a bajillion missles. :ph34r: Maybe the SMS have some of those missile firing destroids stashed somewhere? :ph34r:

Edited by grss1982

Stop IT. :angry: You are making my mouth water at the prospect of a such a maneuver being animated. <_<:p

The problem though of such a maneuver is that there aren't any destroids anymore, well except of course for the VB-6 Konig. And I cant imagine the Konig plus some tanks (like the one in episode 1) being the only one in the Deadalus' hull when the hatch opens to fire a bajillion missles. :ph34r: Maybe the SMS have some of those missile firing destroids stashed somewhere? :ph34r:

What about the firefighter guys? They could, um...spray foam on the Vajra. Their dry cleaning bill would be murder...

Or just use the tanks. Those were really effective...right...?

You people can seriously come up with some very wild theories. :rolleyes::lol:

First off, taking Ep.1 as a starting point you see the President saying''the military can't stop them'' then he calls this Mr. Bilrer/Bilra/etc... is most probably referring to the SMS commander Jeffrey Wilder, Mr. Bilrer (Mr. Habiller, Mr. Viller, Mr. Bilra...whatever) sounds A LOT more like Wilder than Brera Sterne does. You people really need to pay more attention, why in nyan nyans name would he be calling an ace pilot from the galaxy fleet (if that's what Sterne is, which imo looks doubtful) ? It makes more sense that he's actually referring to SMS.

As for the upcoming episodes, this is my guess:

"Bye Bye Sheryl" = As graham said Sheryl returns to the Galaxy fleet.

"First Attack" = Again, I'm with Graham here. The Vajra attack the Galaxy fleet looking for Sheryl or something.

"High School Queen" = Ranka gets her 15 mins of fame...or Alto...

"Friendly Fire" = Chronocidal, I think it's too soon for a pineapple salad homage, if Ozma ever actually gets the Focker-treatment, it'll be in the later part of the series, if anything just because they'll want Ranka's character to be more developed for a more dramatical effect.

I think it might actually be Luka that the title might be referring to IMO.

Edited by Aegis!

You people can seriously come up with some very wild theories. :rolleyes::lol:

First off, taking Ep.1 as a starting point you see the President saying''the military can't stop them'' then he calls this Mr. Bilrer/Bilra/etc... is most probably referring to the SMS commander Jeffrey Wilder, Mr. Bilrer (Mr. Habiller, Mr. Viller, Mr. Bilra...whatever) sounds A LOT more like Wilder than Brera Sterne does.

Not in Japanese, it doesn't...

I'm getting some of those weird vibes from this episode, like I'm starting to put some pieces together and form wacky theories. Stop me if I'm getting stupid here :)

Ozma + Cathy Glass

I think their ex-relationship status might be related to Ozma's ex-NUNS status. Moreover, I think Ranka's accident had something to do with him leaving the service (and hence, Cathy) - perhaps he became disenchanted by the "fold accident" coverup and that pushed him to leave NUNS and take care of Ranka, but he can't abandon his training/nature so he still works for SMS?

Is it official that Ozma and Cathy had a relationship? if they did, i think what u said could very well be the reason.

As for Ozma still staying in the frontlines, i'd say he still feel guilty/anger over his inability to save the people from that vajra incident 11yrs ago, maybe in his mind he wants "revenge" for Ranka's loss of her family (actually also for himself to feel better?), and to a lesser aspect to protect the Frontier people from vajra. To do that more effectively, Ozma knows he needs the most advanced weapons i.e. VF-25(which are in SMS not the military).

SMS vs NUNS

I think the difference between this series and Macross 7, in terms of military presence, is that the Frontier fleet seems to be much more civilian-oriented than the Macross 7 fleet. We know the population is much higher, and so the military presence is probably minimized as a result, as well as the fact that they expect to encounter less hostile resistance. Since the Frontier fleet is heading inward, toward the center of the galaxy, perhaps they feel like it's more familiar/safer territory than if they were to go outward toward the galactic rim...

good point about Frontier being more populated and thus much more civilians than military.

However, i'm not sure if heading towards the galactic center is actually safer, instead i've always thought that it is more dangerous nearer to the galactic core for several reasons:

(i) conditions are more hostile towards the core - more harsh environment coz more stars (and even a massive black hole at the core although it might be too far to make much difference to the sagittarius arm region).

(ii) if there's an advanced civilization which is powerful enough to "rule" the galaxy, and if they have the same type of mentality as humans they'd want to "watch over" or at least have some control over at the galactic core as a sign of their supremacy over the galaxy. So i imagine that to go there is to challenge the "throne" :p

"Friendly Fire" = Not Pineapple Salad. In fact, I think Ozma's going to survive this series. Instead, I think this could be an episode featuring some long-brewing conflict between NUNS + SMS. Conversely, perhaps Ozma becomes the target of some jealous rage by Leon, and gets double-crossed and ends up seriously hurt. Leon seems shady enough to try something like that on Ozma, especially with their mutual interest in Cathy Glass.

hmm if Leon is that shady, he's gonna be the first character in MF to hate :p.

aww i keep thinking of MF... can't wait for next ep... :wacko:

A little latle, but since we're throwing out whacky theories, has anyone proposed that Ranka is actually a Vajra found/captured during that colony incident, and Ozma's leaving the NUNS has something to do with taking her in?

It just seems odd that the Vajra would be specifically targetting her when she sings, over anyone else.

hahaha. i wouldn't discount alto being promoted from princess alto to high school queen alto, as some have jokingly suggested. :)

another funny theory could a prince and the pauper type story -- sheryl convinces ranka to try out recording a song, while she tries out studying again as a mysterious transfer student. just to give alto hell. images of ikari shinji reacting to asuka's first day at school come to mind. :p

Edited by dreamweaver13

Ok, i'm just trying to figure a little thing out here...

So, we think that Ozma left NUNS 11 years ago after saving Ranka, so that puts him about late 20's - early 30's

How old is Cathy then?

I find it hard to believe that she was old enough to be involved with Ozma 11 years ago. And it seems unlikely that they were together after he left. Perhaps he didnt leave NUNS 11 years ago?

Or maybe i'm too used to seeing no one over 25 in anime that still looks as good as Cathy. :lol:

I'd guess they're both in their late 20's to early 30's actually... say Ozma's 30, Cathy's about 28. Take it back 11 years, and you've got 17 year old Cathy in the Miss Macross pageant, and Ozma's a little older than Alto is now. It could work. I don't think they're that far apart in age. If someone has confirmed how long ago Cathy was in the pageant that'd give a good frame of reference.

Making Ozma young at the time he finds Ranka also would help explain why he adpoted her as a little sister, rather than picking up a parent/child type relationship.

Edited by Chronocidal

As said before a NUNS vs. SMS type rivalry would have been nice. That's what I was hoping was going to happen with Cathy offering/asking Alto to join NUNS the way she did.

Though I hope it could still happen. Perhaps have Alto become disillusioned with the way how SMS is run. Perhaps he wants to go out at certain times but he's held back because SMS isn't the military and it isn't their "duty" to just go out and protect the Frontier fleet but do what they are paid to do. He could end up leaving as a result. At least that's the way I could see it happening if games start being played higher up the chain of command. Cathy's boyfriend seems shady enough to perhaps do that as well.

That's what I was trying to imply by comparing his likeness to JRock sensation Camui Gackt a half a thread ago. :rolleyes:

That's what I was trying to imply by comparing his likeness to JRock sensation Camui Gackt a half a thread ago. :rolleyes:

Yes, but understand that most people don't know who JRock sensation Camui Gackt is :p I just know the name because I've heard of him at cons. :)

Edited by MisaForever

I was thinking about the X-gears, considering it gives a boost in strength to the pilot, it allows the interface with the VF-25 and works as a escape capsule, do we know if it also helps mitigate or cancel the effects of g forces on the pilots body? Considering that other sci fi series have inertia dampeners in their space craft it wouldn't be too far fetch that some kind of development on creating faster VFs without making the pilot go all squeechy

Not really fair to look at it that day since 00 is a different styled series compared to SEED and SEED Destiny and is going to appeal to a different audience (some crossover but not completely). Not only that but you are judging half a series to two full run series. Also Gundam fatigue could have set in with 00 being the 3rd series with SEED and SEED Destiny being released back to back.

The statement that SEED was inferior to 00 was a pretty unfair statement in the first place. I understand your hate for SEED, but that's no reason to support an anime that is just on the mediocre line. And, if it hasn't gained momentum after 25 eps, it's unlikely to gain anymore. Gundam Fatigue is a pretty lame reason actually. If a show is good, people will watch it regardless if they see a robot that looked very similar in the first place. Not many people care about repetitiveness. Unfortunately.

"Bye Bye Sheryl" = Sheryl returns to the Galaxy fleet. IIRC, it's been mentioned that she is only visiting the Frontier fleet for a short period of time.

Who's gonna bet that she's gonna come home to a complete wreck, just like the Macross 7 fleet did when they caught up with the Macross 5? Altough from the description from the next episode is a given that they will rescue Sheryl, is the Galaxy gonna be alive for us to see some intercommunication between the two fleets and summaries on their individual encounters? Or at the very least, a huge battle that they have to rescue Sheryl from. I reckon it's waaaay too early to kill her off, and if the love triangle is to work at all in this series, she has to stay alive.

Fan service has its place in anime, and the amount you have (and they type) has to be balanced with the kind of anime it is. Macross is going to have some amount of fan service, but the idea is its a more mature show, it shouldn't be over the top. We have to give them some credit with Frontier, they have totally avoided throwing in a single upskirt shot.

The boobage in Frontier is over the top for the kind of show it is and the franchise it is a part of. Its gratuitous. That is my complain with it.

I agree. At the moment, it's alright. Any bigger and well, its just ridiculous.

Edited by kensei

The statement that SEED was inferior to 00 was a pretty unfair statement in the first place. I understand your hate for SEED, but that's no reason to support an anime that is just on the mediocre line. And, if it hasn't gained momentum after 25 eps, it's unlikely to gain anymore. Gundam Fatigue is a pretty lame reason actually. If a show is good, people will watch it regardless if they see a robot that looked very similar in the first place. Not many people care about repetitiveness. Unfortunately.

Who's gonna bet that she's gonna come home to a complete wreck, just like the Macross 7 fleet did when they caught up with the Macross 5? Altough from the description from the next episode is a given that they will rescue Sheryl, is the Galaxy gonna be alive for us to see some intercommunication between the two fleets and summaries on their individual encounters? Or at the very least, a huge battle that they have to rescue Sheryl from. I reckon it's waaaay too early to kill her off, and if the love triangle is to work at all in this series, she has to stay alive.

I agree. At the moment, it's alright. Any bigger and well, its just ridiculous.

Says the man with a sig advertising his lust for blonde babes ;)

Who can still touch their foreheads against a wall if they walk into them facefirst with their backs upright. :D

Edited by kensei

Ooh, SNAP!

Well...I watched episode 2 again, and the name the President says doesn't sound much like ブレラ...it sounds much more like ビルラ, so Viller/Bilra is probably right.

Oh well...back to WAFO.