Macross Frontier Episode 4 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 4 Rating  

202 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think about episode 4?

• Positive (Go Ranka! Go Alto!)
    • Neutral/No Opinion (explain)
    • Negative (Girl can't sing and the boy can't fly straight)

.ass goes with a raw, it is ONLY the subtitles. You need a raw, and a ass file, to see subs. VLC player can combine them, but I can never get them synched up right---the longer the ep goes on, the more out-of-synch the subtitles are for me. (I'm not talking about 2 secs of mouth movement, I mean an entire scene-time off)

MKV is just another file format for video, it will (usually) be the video with the subs already attached. VLC player can play it, but I found that getting a MKV codec for MediaPlayer is MUCH smoother. (Though it did screw up one of my AVI files, but no others, so it seems worth it) (I doubt it's a lack of processing power/speed issue, as I have an E8400 now with an X38 Northbridge--VLC just can't play it back smoothly on my PC)

PS---the Sendspace file/link works every time for me, it's just so slow it's not worth it. 50kb per second or so. Maybe I'll try again later tonight.

What am I supoosed to do with them? Do I just drag and drop them into the .mkv file?

Edit: oops, david just beat me to it.

Well if it's any help, try using media player classic, it recognizes the ass files automatically as long as they're named the same as the video file (raw).

Anyway, this is my brief (not VF, brief :p) impression after watching the subs:

The scenes make a lot more sense now. Not much is revealed really about the Vajra, but that's fine with me, keep it mysterious until we have enough character development for a more complete enjoyment. As I said earlier, the fanservice is ok and it somehow adds to the experience but so much in such a short amount of time is a bit distracting. It's nice to see that alto is given some ( cruel but otherwise necessary) training and that he's not just given a valk that carelessly before actually teaching him to be more humble.

Also, Ranka gets cuter with each new episode, at this rate my head might explode. I just feel bad for her not getting the prize but at the same time I think it was a very smart move by SK an co.

Man, Mikhail's VF-25G is just awesome, the VF-25G is to Frontier what the VF-0D was to Zero, just the most awesome valk of the show (IMO, of course). At least until we get more of the mysterious valk in the OP.

Edited by Aegis!

Starting episode 04 we're using transport stream raws and accompanying CCs, so if you were turned off by our earlier releases feel free to check them out again.

Actually I was more turned on by the previous raws then the current transport stream raws you are using because they were much more clearer! Please use back the previous raws!!!!

VLC player can combine them, but I can never get them synched up right---the longer the ep goes on, the more out-of-synch the subtitles are for me. (I'm not talking about 2 secs of mouth movement, I mean an entire scene-time off)

VLC has keys to accelerate/desaccelerate the time of the subtitles so you can match them again...

Hey all; new guy here just chiming in on how great this episode was. As someone mentioned earlier, it had the perfect blend of character development, humor, and good old-fashioned mecha action! The dogfights seemed a little fast paced and hard for me to follow at the beginning of the series, but I'm starting to appreciate their chaotic energy-- it goes a long way towards conveying just how intense it would be to find yourself in that type of situation. I don't care how much pilot training I had; I'd be toast in a second! :rolleyes:

Would someone mind capturing a good pic of KK in both Zentran form and Micron Form? ^^ I'd appreciate it!

These are the best that I could come up with; Zentran KK isn't in the episode for all that many frames:

Zentran KK

Micron KK

Hope that helps. ^_^

Hey all; new guy here just chiming in on how great this episode was. As someone mentioned earlier, it had the perfect blend of character development, humor, and good old-fashioned mecha action! The dogfights seemed a little fast paced and hard for me to follow at the beginning of the series, but I'm starting to appreciate their chaotic energy-- it goes a long way towards conveying just how intense it would be to find yourself in that type of situation. I don't care how much pilot training I had; I'd be toast in a second! :rolleyes:

These are the best that I could come up with; Zentran KK isn't in the episode for all that many frames:

Zentran KK

Micron KK

Hope that helps. ^_^

Even though I really like the action, I still don't think it's in the same league as Itano's work on Mac0, but the series is still very early on, and our main pilot is still learning, so hopefully it'll get there by the time it's over ^_^

Zentran KK

Micron KK

Hope that helps. ^_^

Thankee!!!! :D

Starting episode 04 we're using transport stream raws and accompanying CCs, so if you were turned off by our earlier releases feel free to check them out again.

are you from gattai? if you are thanks alot man ^_^

Would you get over it already! :rolleyes::lol:

Actually, I rathed liked the effect. ^_^

BTW, I don't think those are misplaced sonic booms in the combat sequence. At first I thought they were perhaps maneuvering thrusters, but if you notice, you mostly seem them after one of them has made a hard turn. I am thinking we are seeing some sort of burst thrust effect.

BTW, I don't think those are misplaced sonic booms in the combat sequence. At first I thought they were perhaps maneuvering thrusters, but if you notice, you mostly seem them after one of them has made a hard turn. I am thinking we are seeing some sort of burst thrust effect.

The Queadllun-Rau is known to have an inertia vectoring system, as does the YF-21. Perhaps that technology made it's way into the 25 as well?

Edited by Sketch

Being mostly a leg and breast man, I have no idea about .ass files.

What am I supoosed to do with them? Do I just drag and drop them into the .mkv file?

Graham

Just rename the RAW file to match the ASS file, or rename the ASS file to match the RAW file and VLC or MPC should pick it up automatically. I suggest using Media Player Classic though. VLC tends to screw up subtitle placements.

*cough* First post */cough*

It wasn't there (on the first post) when I posted. :p Where is the origin?

Edited by Kamion

I did, too...It was the one thing I REALLY hated about Ralph Bakshi's Lord of the Rings, because it just seemed like laziness there, but here it actually blends well with the more traditional animation AND the CG.

I did, too...It was the one thing I REALLY hated about Ralph Bakshi's Lord of the Rings, because it just seemed like laziness there, but here it actually blends well with the more traditional animation AND the CG.

The thing with rotoscoping, and motion capture too, actually, is that it takes a lot of effort to make it look "right". One thing about animation, at least stylized animation such as anime, or Pixar movies (as opposed to using CG to try and create a realistic effect) is that the animation will not look correct unless it is equally stylized, somewhat exaggerated. So when you simply trace over real life, or use a computer to capture it, there is a significant amount of tweaking one needs to do.

Say, what particular scene are we talking about here, anyways? I've only watched the episode once so far, and I've been in a medication/sleep-deprivation induced zombie-like state all day.

I am really enjoying this series. However I was very spoilt with all the other series... the first time I saw them was on tape, and I watched many episodes in one sitting. So its a very different experience watching this is serial format again!

Looking forwards to more space dogfights, boob jokes, and melodrama!

So far, Macross Frontier seems to be going a what if route. While there are many homages to the original, the result is usually the opposite. Like say Ranka losing the Miss Macross competition.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ranka got to be a superstar like she dreamed of, but Sheryl got Alto instead. And i would think that Sheryl would grow up and become a lot more likeable.

Finally got to watching it and....late to the party as usual. I noticed a drop in frame rates in the animation as well as the art quality in some scenes....but not too annoying that warrants any complaints.

1/2 episode worth of training before Alto joins the military, just like in SDF Macross. :lol:

Loved the space combat. We get to see a floating zentran corpse with the Nos-Geur's rifle intact....i think its the one usually mounted on the shoulders and can be held on the hands as well? Ozma mentions the weapon is very precious. Why? Cause its an artifact? Lost Technology? Hmmm.

One wonders why they are still using Q-raus as battlesuits. You'd think they would've made a miclone version or something. Guess protoculture technology IS the best, despite trying to bootleg them.

Klan Klein is like the epitome of the perfect otaku gf. She gets a huge rack and a flat chest all in one package. She even gets "the fang" in loli mode. Even Ranka has it while she was singing! Damn i've been watching too much anime. ^_^

Michael and Luca explains why the military is so "incompetent". Lots of previous speculation has been proven true. Lacking of money, training and morale seem to be the reason. Poor cannon fodders.

I dunno why is Togo complaining about Rotoscoping ( i don't notice it)...but i thought the "My Boyfriend's a Pilot" sequence awesome. Ranka will be the new internet meme!

Next episode is the "dating a famous celebrity" episode.... they seem to be following the pattern closely here. Will jealousy and love tensions appear next episode? Hmmm.

Questions:

1.) Has Ranka's memory of Ozma being a pilot in SMS gone? They mentioned she has selective amnesia or something.

2.) I thought everyone knows that SMS is a military provider. Its not a secret. Why the sign "SMS Shipping" on nyan nyan?

3.) Michael has elf ears. I wonder if he is part Zentran. And I wonder if he and Klan Klein have a love hate relationship. ;)