Macross Frontier Episode 4 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 4 Rating  

202 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think about episode 4?

• Positive (Go Ranka! Go Alto!)
    • Neutral/No Opinion (explain)
    • Negative (Girl can't sing and the boy can't fly straight)

OMG not Wing?!!

Wing being "realistic".... LMAO... :ph34r:

:lol:

SUPER LMAO!

Anyways, I'm dying with all this waiting for the subbed version and as Girli pointed out earlier in the thread...... F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 765e73328cd.gif:ph34r:

@Gerli: Nice Avatar. You AND MisaForever have the best avatars in MW. :D

Edited by grss1982

it took this long for a new series? macross 7 was a meh and alot here agrees with me.

It took this long to get a new TV Series because Kawamori wanted to be able to offer a series with the same visual quality as an OAV.

You know - the reason we haven't been flooded by gazillions Macross series over the years like Gundam ain't due to a lack of success - it's simply because the creators didn't want too (Indeed that's what led Big West to produce a subpar Macross II in 1992). After the resounding succes that were both the original SDFM in 1982, and Macross 7 in 1994 - it probably would have been easy to create a new Macross series a year or two after that... the fact that they didn't eck, for me that's creative integrity ; sure wiating 5 years or so for new Macross is long, but I'm glad they take the time to create a quality series rather than doing cheap spin off over cheap spin off

As for the whole fan-service/sillyness well I haven't yet seen episode 4 - but it doens't surprise. Sure Macross Plus and Macross Zero avoided that kind of stuff and tend to feel more mature - but they were OAVs series mainly aimed toward existing (and probably grown up) Macross fans - while Macross Frontier is a new series, which while made to appeal to existing, is also aiming to cather to new viewers a create a new generation of fans - just like Macross 7 did 14 years ago. So obvioulsy it'll have to have some aspect of currents animes.

Wing being "realistic".... LMAO...

I loved Wing quite a bit (it was my first Gundam series so it hold a special place in my heart) - but calling it realistic is just ridiculous :lol:

-Sergorn

Edited by Sergorn

It took this long to get a new TV Series because Kawamori wanted to be able to offer a series with the same visual quality as an OAV.

Well, he still hasn't figured out how to do that yet. The hand drawn animation is by far this series' weakest link, and I have found it to be sub-par compared to much of what I have watched over the past year. Doesn't mean I don't like this series, I absolutely love it.

Calling most mecha anime realistic is pretty ridiculous when you think of it.

*cheers*

Definitely a good perspective to have. Though to play devils advocate for a moment, I'm sure when most say "realistic", it's with the understanding that we all accept the unreality of the real robot anime shows as a starting point and then debate from there.

i pronounce it Ma-Cross too...

u guys pronounce it as MAC-cross? like macdonalds, big MAC? :ph34r:

マクロス Makurosu

Yep...

マ ク ロ ス

Ma ku ro su

Well, it's supposed to be closer to MA-Cross, at least according to how it was pronounced in the anime. i find alot of folks read it as MAC-cross too, just like alot of folks read Gundam as Gun-DAMN as opposed to the pronunciation Gun-DERM. maybe u guys see macross as in macdonalds where the 'c' is attached to the first 2 letters...

:unsure:

Yep...

マ ク ロ ス

Ma ku ro su

Well, it's supposed to be closer to MA-Cross, at least according to how it was pronounced in the anime. i find alot of folks read it as MAC-cross too, just like alot of folks read Gundam as Gun-DAMN as opposed to the pronunciation Gun-DERM. maybe u guys see macross as in macdonalds where the 'c' is attached to the first 2 letters...

:unsure:

Well... the closest word (At least in spanish) is the word "Macro" that have the same pronunciation as the Latin word

That is EXACTLY the reason I want to show Macross to people. I want to tell them how there is much more to anime than just loli hentai. Well, I'm sorry for thinking Macross had integrity and was above all of that. I enjoy reccommending movies and music to friends and then maybe if they like it we can have a good talk about it, or they might like to see or hear something similar. In this case, I can't even get started.

And since I'm in Japan, it's no use showing people Miyazaki or Fireflies cos they've all seen it.

Well, I cannot enjoy it fully, since I'm obviously not the type of otaku it seems to be catering to. Again, I guess I was wrong to expect something different from the "Pretty Cure" calibre of anime.

Good action, though.

I'm not sure what to say to that, although I feel I should respond. I've recommended Macross F to my friends in Japan, but I don't think any of them have watched it (not even my girlfriend....but then, I haven't watched "Fafner," which is her favorite).

Whenever I loan someone my Macross DVDs or show it to them, I always add the caveat that I was eleven or twelve when I first saw it, so it has a nostalgic glow about it to me, but I still think it holds up well.

But still, it's a giant robot show, with Bandai-made toys. And the "Macross" name has a lot of cultural baggage attached to it, which would be impossible to overcome even if Satoshi Kon took over the franchise.

I dunno...when I left Japan in January (I'm going back in summer), they had a good-bye party for me, and the DJ (who was a friend of mine) played "Ai - Oboeteimasuka," "Wanna Be an Angel," and "Angel Voice" (and, inexplicably, the Yamato theme). Which was cute, but yeah....a litttle embarrassing.

I dunno...I'm rambling. But I think maybe you want a Macross that you can show to people who don't like Macross (or think they don't like Macross), and I really doubt that something like that will ever get made.

Brilliant 4th episode. I noticed people seem to be complaining about something, but I've been sickly lately, and I'm awake at all the wrong hours, so I don't really feel like reading back through it.

I haven't been following the manga, so this is the first time I've actually seen this Klan Klein character. A bit of goofy comic-relief is nothing new to Macross, it certainly didn't bother me. I loved what they did with the Miss Macross contest, Alto's final test (though I wish they'd done a better job conveying that time has passed), and Alto's use of his surroundings when dealing with the unexpected.

Still, I can't help but feel Alto is a bit too good of a pilot. Storytelling-wise, I think it works better when the ace is a secondary character, and the main character is somewhat less perfect, but makes up for it in other ways. Still, Alto's hot-headedness shows through, and that might be a good point to get him in to trouble over, in the not too distant future.

I'm still digging all the characters, and I'm happy there's a bit more variety in mecha with the introduction of a Q-Rau squadron. I still hope we see more VFs. Maybe even the variable Glaug.

Touching on how they failed to really convey much, or any, time passing over Alto's training, I do think the pacing seems a bit rushed. I'd like it to slow down a bit. You can still keep the pace of individual episodes fast and interesting, without making the whole story end up feeling like it took place over the course of a week.

Just a thought for now, it hasn't really become such a problem as to hamper my enjoyment of the show. But I suspect it could if things continue like that. On the other hand, how they handled the Miss Macross contest was a sign that this won't be the case, and I really appreciated that.

Ok, from the subs we have learned:

That was the 12th Miss Macross Frontier contest, so we can assume the Frontier has been in space for atleast that long.

The fleet that Ranka was on that was destroyed by the Varja was the 117th research fleet. This took place in 2048.

1,000 lives were lost in that attack, and the public story put out was the disaster was caused by a "fold dislocation" (Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dustin' crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star, or bounce too close to a supernova and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?)

Edited by Duke Togo

Well I finally got to see Episode 04.

Once again that was great :lol:

It had more humour than the previouses episodes, but it was really great !

Ranka's as cute as ever, I loved her performance of My Boyfriend is a Pilot :D

The whole prank on alto from his SMS buddy was quite funny too !

The whole action with the Pixie Squardon and the Vajra was awesome too. we get to learn a bit more thiough we still hae no clue as to WHAT they are.

I must sya I was surpried Ranka didn't won Miss Macross;

And Klen Klein is definitly hilarious :lol:

Can't wait to see the next ones :)

-Sergorn

*cough* First post */cough*

I'd still take AiA-IZ's or a later sub.

Starting episode 04 we're using transport stream raws and accompanying CCs, so if you were turned off by our earlier releases feel free to check them out again.

Finally understanding what is going on makes this great episode shine even more.

7000 years drifting in space.... SPOOOOOOKY :ph34r:

And I can't get enough of the combat scenes. Going back and fort between valk modes really shows that they have a function. It makes the experience seem more plausible beyond cartoon/future toy eye candy.