Macross Frontier Episode 4 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 4 Rating  

202 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think about episode 4?

• Positive (Go Ranka! Go Alto!)
    • Neutral/No Opinion (explain)
    • Negative (Girl can't sing and the boy can't fly straight)

after watching the subtitled version, noticed one part where Ranka was on stage and singing and the SMS Bridge Captain mentioned (referring to Alto's dogfight with Q-Rau) as being "similar to someone when he was younger"... was he talking about Ozma or someone else? hmmm.

and according to wiki

Klein Klan (クラン・クラン, Klein Klan?)

Voiced by: Megumi Toyoguchi

A young blue-haired Zentradi female (Meltlandi) who is part of the all-female S.M.S. Pixy Squadron, Captain rank. Also an ace Quimeliquola Quaedlunn-Rau power-armor fighter. Due to some genetic anomalies, while she is a mature woman when macronized she becomes both physically and mentally childish in a micronized state, which makes her a perfect prey for Mikhail's mockery.

The genetic anomalies reason was mentioned by Mikhail, but can we trust what he said? or was he just mocking her?

oh my!! didn't know one of the bridge bunnies (specky) Mina Roshan is voiced by: Aya Hirano :wub:

Edited by Shun

I've seen this brought up several times, and it doesn't make any sense to me. I've seen several members refer to Ranka and/or Sheryl as "Anima Spiritia", which doesn't make any sense to me, unless they are assuming the Protodeviln are the main antagonists of Frontier.

well, we know that somehow the vajra are attracted to Ranka / Sheryl probably because they can sing well, but the vajra didnt seem to run away from their singing like those in M7... and they're not necessarily trying to kill Ranka/sheryl.

In ep 1 the lobster would'nt take the slow long walk to Ranka if it wanted to kill her so my guess is the vajra wants to capture Ranka. Which means they have a need for their singing ability, perhaps as a weapon against a threat similar to Protodeviln. Or maybe they're the remnants of automated/brain washed soldiers of the PC who were programmed to capture Anima Spiritia.

:ph34r:

Edited by Shun

I've seen this brought up several times, and it doesn't make any sense to me. I've seen several members refer to Ranka and/or Sheryl as "Anima Spiritia", which doesn't make any sense to me, unless they are assuming the Protodeviln are the main antagonists of Frontier.

We don't know what the PC did with the Anima Spiritia soldiers they employed to imprison the PD. For all we know they utilized them for other tasks, possibly to combat the remaining SA. What happened to them after the imprisonment is not yet known. Hence the speculation that Ranka and Sheryl are AS. Their singing has an affect on both humans and Vajra. What affect has yet to be revealed. Since MacF has been described as a sequel to Mac 7, then the anima spiritia ability could very well be employed. However the Mac F presentation may be what Kawamori had originally envisioned for Mac7...

Their singing has an affect on both humans and Vajra. What affect has yet to be revealed.

Whether is has an effect on them or not has yet to be revealed. Spiritia plays no role in SDF Macross, Plus, or Zero. I don't see why anyone would assume it would in Frontier. Unless they are assuming the Protodeviln play some role in Frontier.

Good episode.

I wonder if there are other types of Vajira besides the Red Lobster and the squids. Maybe something bigger ?

Maybe there are humanoids too.

I wonder when we get to see the Koenig Monster in action.

And how come the zentradi female turned into an annoying teen girl when she got micronized ?

Whether is has an effect on them or not has yet to be revealed. Spiritia plays no role in SDF Macross, Plus, or Zero. I don't see why anyone would assume it would in Frontier. Unless they are assuming the Protodeviln play some role in Frontier.

I think in Zero it played a part but it was just not labeled as such, with the effects of the priestess's singing on the Mayan landscape for one example.

In this case even Egan would be wrong, which I doubt. Besides, Rho is a letter which comes after Lambda, so it doesn't make any sense. Last of all, in the manga is written in katakana Queadluun Rau Lambda.

One thing about the Zentradi names is that the spellings are sometimes intentional to denote that they are not human. Vrlitwhai's name (pronounced Britai) is intentionally spelled that way.

Concerning Anima Spiritia, there can be many interpretations or reactions to it. Humans translated it into Song Energy. Protodevlin extracted it as energy. So Vajra may just be responding in their own way.

I think in Zero it played a part but it was just not labeled as such, with the effects of the priestess's singing on the Mayan landscape for one example.

Doesn't make it Spiritia, and that had to do with her Protoculture roots, and her connection to the Aphos.

Doesn't make it Spiritia, and that had to do with her Protoculture roots, and her connection to the Aphos.

You are asking about "Anima Spiritia" which is the term used in Mac 7 to describe those capable of affecting the PD and thus imprisoning them.

We don't know if the AS used song or sound itself, though the implication in M7 was song. The AS were PC soldiers with this ability. They used it to imprison the PD, what other uses for such abilities has not been revealed thus far.

As already stated officially, MF is a sequel to M7, so it is possible that the AS abilities may well be explored further and what uses the PC had for it post PD...

One can speculate that AS was a known phenomenon prior to the PD, as possibly displayed in Zero and since no one knew what that ability was called in 2008, it was not specifically stated. This doesn't discount the ability or how it was used. We do know it was used specifically against the PD and that is all we know so far. What else it could be used for is up for speculation or revelation (if there will be any) in Macross Frontier.

Edited by Zinjo

I think there's a mix-up here between Spiritia, Anima Spiritia, and Song Energy. Song Energy is what Sound Force used against the Protodeviln (and, possibly, how Sara moved rocks and stuff), Spiritia is just life force (what the Protodeviln ate), and Anima Spiritia is Basara.

So, yes. Anima Spiritia has appeared in MF...on Ozma's car radio.

I think there's a mix-up here between Spiritia, Anima Spiritia, and Song Energy. Song Energy is what Sound Force used against the Protodeviln (and, possibly, how Sara moved rocks and stuff), Spiritia is just life force (what the Protodeviln ate), and Anima Spiritia is Basara.

So, yes. Anima Spiritia has appeared in MF...on Ozma's car radio.

As I said, if the Protodeviln don't have anything to do with the Frontier story, I think labeling Ranka or Sherly as "Anima Spiritia" is just incorrect.

As I said, if the Protodeviln don't have anything to do with the Frontier story, I think labeling Ranka or Sherly as "Anima Spiritia" is just incorrect.

True. They may very well be Anima Spirita, but unless some Sivil comes along and gets freaked out by them, we'll never know.

Song Energy, on the other hand, may have something to do with the Vajra.

I disagree with you both.

I understand Anima Spritia is an ability as labelled in Mac 7. What exactly it is as far as I know has not really been described. Basara was identified as Anima Spiritia by the PD, we were told that Anima Spritia helped imprison the the PD (was Basara there too?).

It isn't a person, but an ability that certain individuals have or can develop. How that will come into play (if at all) in Frontier is still unknown. However, based on how SK showed Sara's extraordinary ability in Zero, I don't think we'll be seeing rainbow rays and shoulder mounted speakers in VF-25s... :rolleyes:

We'll just have to see how things develop I guess...

If it does go the M7 route with Sheryl and Ranka flying VF-25s, I'll be turning it off. I won't care how pretty it looks... <_<

I'm sort of surprised by the number of people here trying to force the Spirita/anima spirita concept into Frontier. First of all, it's too early to classify Ranka's effect on the Vajra as spirita related.

The only ever time they reacted to her she didn't actually sing, she screamed because Alto was being a pedo, it was a pure emotional reaction, no singing was involved (or else they would react every time she sang, and that hasn't occurred so far), and I also seriously doubt her voice could reach so far away.

I would venture to say it's more of a psychic connection between her and the Vajra than a mere reaction to sound (or more like the Vajra are designed to detect her). Much like Sara and the Aphos in Zero, it wasn't much a reaction to her singing, it was rather a direct mental link which they both shared, and the Aphos just reacted to her emotional state ( if she was afraid the Aphos would react violently, if not, he would present no harm) as she was a PC descendant ( i.e. its pilot).

This is wacky speculation, but maybe the Vajra are after Ranka because they're being judged by another Aphos and they didn't past the PC test and were attacked so they need someone to stop it, and Ranka/Sheryl could be its pilot. That's the only reason I can imagine why they wouldn't kill them both when they had their chance.

I'm sort of surprised by the number of people here trying to force the Spirita/anima spirita concept into Frontier. First of all, it's too early to classify Ranka's effect on the Vajra as spirita related.

The only ever time they reacted to her she didn't actually sing, she screamed because Alto was being a pedo, it was a pure emotional reaction, no singing was involved (or else they would react every time she sang, and that hasn't occurred so far), and I also seriously doubt her voice could reach so far away.

I would venture to say it's more of a psychic connection between her and the Vajra than a mere reaction to sound (or more like the Vajra are designed to detect her). Much like Sara and the Aphos in Zero, it wasn't much a reaction to her singing, it was rather a direct mental link which they both shared, and the Aphos just reacted to her emotional state ( if she was afraid the Aphos would react violently, if not, he would present no harm) as she was a PC descendant ( i.e. its pilot).

This is wacky speculation, but maybe the Vajra are after Ranka because they're being judged by another Aphos and they didn't past the PC test and were attacked so they need someone to stop it, and Ranka/Sheryl could be its pilot. That's the only reason I can imagine why they wouldn't kill them both when they had their chance.

You have good points. However with MF being a direct sequel to M7, the correlations cannot be ignored or dismissed. Maybe AS is a single person per generation or maybe its an ability, who knows. The idea of a psychic link is intriguing but leaves the deaths of Ranka's parents as a bit of a puzzle. The idea that sonic or sound affects the Vajra, is also a viable explanation.

We'll have to see.

I disagree with you both.

I understand Anima Spritia is an ability as labelled in Mac 7. What exactly it is as far as I know has not really been described. Basara was identified as Anima Spiritia by the PD, we were told that Anima Spritia helped imprison the the PD (was Basara there too?).

It isn't a person, but an ability that certain individuals have or can develop. How that will come into play (if at all) in Frontier is still unknown. However, based on how SK showed Sara's extraordinary ability in Zero, I don't think we'll be seeing rainbow rays and shoulder mounted speakers in VF-25s... :rolleyes:

We'll just have to see how things develop I guess...

If it does go the M7 route with Sheryl and Ranka flying VF-25s, I'll be turning it off. I won't care how pretty it looks... <_<

I started to respond...and then I confused myself, so I'm starting again.

I think the reason why I confused myself is because "Anima Spiritia" is clearly, as you say, an ability. And yet, the Protodeviln say that Basara IS Anima Spirita, not that Basara HAS Anima Spirita. In any case, Anima Spirita is the bane of the Protodeviln, not the Vajra. So some form of Song Energy may be part of the MF story, but I doubt Anima Spirita will.

And yes, if Sheryl goes out there in a VF with sound boosters, I'll be pretty annoyed, too. But not as annoyed as I'll be if the Vajra start shouting "The Beauty of Annihilation!" as they attack the ship.

You have good points. However with MF being a direct sequel to M7, the correlations cannot be ignored or dismissed. Maybe AS is a single person per generation or maybe its an ability, who knows. The idea of a psychic link is intriguing but leaves the deaths of Ranka's parents as a bit of a puzzle. The idea that sonic or sound affects the Vajra, is also a viable explanation.

We'll have to see.

I prolly have missed it, but where exactly again did it state specifically that Macross Frontier is a direct sequel to Macross-7?

I think it's because it occurs chronologically right after M7, although that still doesn't mean it forcefully has to follow all the event's from M7 (or else SK would've just named it M7 Vol.II and set the plot on the Macross 7 fleet). As far as I can remember every Macross production has been pretty much isolated from each other and more or less unique in their plot, wouldn't know why that should change now.

In this case even Egan would be wrong, which I doubt. Besides, Rho is a letter which comes after Lambda, so it doesn't make any sense. Last of all, in the manga is written in katakana Queadluun Rau Lambda.

FV

If that manga is the canon spelling (for the JPs), then it's Rho Lambda. It's spelled ro- which corresponds more with Rho than Rau.

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%AD%E3%83%BC

I'm not sure what this means...can you explain?

When I think "direct sequel to M7," I think of Dynamite 7, but MF is definitely not THAT direct...so, what does it mean? And where did you read it?

That's like saying DYRL was a direct sequel to SDFM.

I'll have to dig through my sh*t to see where I saw it. It stuck out in my mind as I was hoping MF was going to "ignore" M7, but alas to my shagrin.... <_<

If that manga is the canon spelling (for the JPs), then it's Rho Lambda. It's spelled ro- which corresponds more with Rho than Rau.

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%AD%E3%83%BC

Well...like all Zjentohlauedy names, like Vrlitwhai, Quamzin, and Quel Quallie, Queadelun Rau, spelled in the Latin alphabet, looks nothing like it sounds. ^_^

Besides, I can understand using a Lambda in 2059, but why would SDFM Zentradi be using a Greek letter if they had never come into contact with Earth culture before?

I rewatched M7 a few days ago and Anima Spiritia is a term for a being that is capable of manipulating spiritia. They also mentioned that Protoculture managed to seal them off with the help of one among them. PD are now happy in their dimension with no need for further harvesting :).

Considering full story of macross up to now, humans somehow got saddled with a lot of protocultures mistakes. They managed to take the Zentraedi from their warpath, they helped PD with their problem and now we have Vajra. But then again, humans are their try to repair all the mistakes they made in their time. Interestingly enough, they left Aphos in case humans didn't develop the necessary requirement needed for repairing said damage, which makes me wonder how much potential did they genetically imparted unto humans. The temple in M7 where Mylene's blood opened the central room where the guardian/messenger was was another failsafe.

It wouldn't be much of a surprise if Ranka's quarter zentraedi blood has something to do with the Vajra. It could be that the Vajra were another type of weaponry from Protoculture wars, which wouldn't surprise me at all, or that they are something else entirely.

It is always good to see bridge bunnies, female pilots and singers in Macross, always :D