Transformers Super Thread 7

Saw a Powerglide on the shelf today. That's just a bit too large for my tastes.

Don't have Silverbolt yet, but Powerglide is the most dissapointing of the new Ultras. The robot mode, though I've said doesn't look as bad as I thought it would, suffers from a huge torso and skinny limbs. His fighter mode could have been close to a spot on A-10 if not for the intakes molded on the sides. The landing gear cannot make the fighter sit up right without modification.

Silverbolt has a chunky underside, but it gets away with that by being an homage to the g1 toy, and for not ruining the look of the fighter from the top, unlike Powerglide. Its a lot less obvious than Powerglide, with Powerglide, looking from the top, you can tell, "oh, its that way because if not, the legs would have been even more skinnier in robot mode". The small bad things on Powerglide add up, whereas with Silverbolt, its really just 2 things, the chunky bottom, and transformation that does not incorporate much involved transformation with the alt mode pieces.

Onslaught is awesome, just like I thought he would be. Wish he had a rifle though. The sides in vehicle mode attached to the legs are easily dislodged, and his shield is secure in robot mode but easily knocked off in vehicle mode. For robot mode, there is a notch for the tab to fit into, which secures it well on mine.

Found Onslaught, and despite being a huge Onslaught fan, I passed. Just not worth 25 bucks. If they ditched the lights and he was just 20, I'd have probably bought him.

I agree except for I would only want to get him if he was 15 bones.

:ph34r:

I just wanted to throw a pic on of my current TF collection. As said before...I have a couple of Classics in there but those will be the only ones.

08-16-2008-002.jpg

08-16-2008-003.jpg

Here's a few shots of the figs that i have 2 of. Eventually I would like to have 2 of each for obvious reasons...

08-16-2008-016.jpg

08-16-2008-017.jpg

08-16-2008-018.jpg

08-16-2008-019.jpg

08-16-2008-020.jpg

08-16-2008-021.jpg

08-16-2008-022.jpg

So a couple of days ago, a Kohl's sent some advertisement out in the mail with a coupon for $10 off a purchase of $10 or more. We don't shop at Kohl's often, because it's a little out of the way, but I went there with the wife today. She didn't find anything she liked (Kohl's stuff on clearance is more than Target's stuff and regular price), but lo and behold, I found a Universe Galvatron (no Acid Storms, though)! I've yet to see him anywhere else around me (two Targets, a TRU, and a Wal-Mart). Kohl's naturally charges a ridiculous $12.99 for Deluxe TFs, but with the coupon, that meant that I got my Galvy for $3.

So a couple of days ago, a Kohl's sent some advertisement out in the mail with a coupon for $10 off a purchase of $10 or more. We don't shop at Kohl's often, because it's a little out of the way, but I went there with the wife today. She didn't find anything she liked (Kohl's stuff on clearance is more than Target's stuff and regular price), but lo and behold, I found a Universe Galvatron (no Acid Storms, though)! I've yet to see him anywhere else around me (two Targets, a TRU, and a Wal-Mart). Kohl's naturally charges a ridiculous $12.99 for Deluxe TFs, but with the coupon, that meant that I got my Galvy for $3.

Interesting that Kohls had them...GREAT DEAL THOUGH!!!

I had to return a defective dvd set to the store, so I stopped by the toy aisle again. I saw Blades and Blaster on the shelf. Blades looks ok, if a little plain, but I think I'd prefer the Springer repaint of the Evac mold if I were ever to buy one. Blaster, blech. I already have the Soundwave version of the mold and I refuse to ever buy another. It doesn't lock together in alt mode, and the legs in bot mode are just....odd.

However, I did find Leader Animated Megatron! After the sticker shock wore off, I got him home and opened him up. The transformation's not that complicated, but I expected that. The leg transformation had an extra step I didn't expect that I liked. What surprised me though was that I like the electronics. I like how it makes the mouth move and the chest light up. I really like how it makes the G1 transform noise as I clip/unclip the fusion cannon under the cockpit, and then once clipped it only makes helicopter noises if you press the button.

However, I did find Leader Animated Megatron! After the sticker shock wore off, I got him home and opened him up. The transformation's not that complicated, but I expected that. The leg transformation had an extra step I didn't expect that I liked. What surprised me though was that I like the electronics. I like how it makes the mouth move and the chest light up. I really like how it makes the G1 transform noise as I clip/unclip the fusion cannon under the cockpit, and then once clipped it only makes helicopter noises if you press the button.

COOLIO! Can you take some pics! I like that fig I just haven't gotten him....yet. One day soon I am certain. My other decepticons need a leader.

Who is the Gobot on the far right, with arms sort of like Cosmos? I like that one.

That's Pathfinder. EDIT: Ah, Valk Hunter beat me to it. I didn't have Pathfinder, but I had the black/red/silver car next to her. If I'm not mistaken, that's Super Gobot Psycho. He was one of my favorite Super Gobots, not for any special attachment to the character, but because back in the 80's that car looked super sleek and futuristic.

Well, I've had time to open Galvatron and play with him, and having done that, I can fully sympathize with everyone who wished Galvy was a Voyager or Ultra.

Pros:

-It's Galvatron.

-A mostly purple one, at that.

-Spot-on head sculpt.

-Interesting Transformation for a tankformer... the top of the tank is the right arm, and the left is folded underneath.

-Not much in the way of obvious robot parts in alt-mode.

-Has little feet that seem to serve no purpose save potentially giving him a second alt mode similar to G1 Galvatron's alt mode.

-Nicely detailed.

-Mostly poseable, even without much in the of ball joints.

Cons:

-Not a Voyager with awesome ratcheting joints.

-Lacks symmetry... aside from the fact that he's got a chunk of tank for one arm. The tank part his gray, and half his right forearm is purple. His shoulder and upper left arm are purple, though, and his left forearm is gray.

-Safety Orange plastic parts. They clash in every way imaginable with his mostly gray and purple body. There was no reason to use safety orange... it's not like he had in in G1.

-Some tank kibble on his back diminishes his awesomeness, although the kibble can sort of be folded up in a way that looks like an attack mode (mediocre pics later, if requested, and if I can find my stupid camera).

-Limited poseability in his right arm.

-Joints a little lose around his hips.

Galvatron may not be perfect, but he's the first Galvatron that wasn't a Megatron repaint since the original (unless you count the fact that Energon Megatron was always Galvatron in Japan), and aside from a repaint of his G1 toy that I'm not even sure was sold outside Japan, the first purple Galvatron. We might not be getting the Galvatron we've always dreamed of, but we're getting a pretty solid G1 homage. Ultimately, there are worse ways to spend $10.

Edited by mikeszekely

I got my Star Saber today!! He's in gorgeous condition, bone white and blissfully rock solid. He'll still end up with Reprolabels bc/ a couple of them have yellowed, but even missing the sword blade this is one of my new favorite toys of all time... the middle sized guy Saber is one friggen rad looking TF all by himself, and when fully Star-Saber'd up he's amazing. I can't wait to find a Vic Leo...

I got my Star Saber today!! He's in gorgeous condition, bone white and blissfully rock solid. He'll still end up with Reprolabels bc/ a couple of them have yellowed, but even missing the sword blade this is one of my new favorite toys of all time... the middle sized guy Saber is one friggen rad looking TF all by himself, and when fully Star-Saber'd up he's amazing. I can't wait to find a Vic Leo...

Humble request for pics? :) Star Saber has always been my favourite convoy variant EVER!

COOLIO! Can you take some pics! I like that fig I just haven't gotten him....yet. One day soon I am certain. My other decepticons need a leader.

Not the best pics. I can never get the right lighting.

CIMG1208.jpg

CIMG1220.jpg

CIMG1226.jpg

CIMG1227.jpg

Not the best pics. I can never get the right lighting.

Right on! THANKS for those! I can't wait to get one!

It was. David's been trying to figure out the exact color blue for awhile.

And yeah, the QA for Transformers in general is a little down. Almost all of the Animated toys have some issue (although, to be fair, some of those issues are design flaws, like Lockdown's hands). And of the new Universe toys, my Sunstreaker, Galvatron, Powerglide, and Silverbolt are fine, but Prowl had a sloppy paint job and paint that fingerprints/is sticky/rubs off on the translucent plastic, and Onslaught's paneling on his left leg doesn't peg in right and his shield won't stay pegged on in either mode.

And yeah, the QA for Transformers in general is a little down. Almost all of the Animated toys have some issue (although, to be fair, some of those issues are design flaws, like Lockdown's hands)

Yeah...I was about to say....the QC on the TFAs is actually not bad at all.....they are solid....they have a GREAD range of movement and they are tight. At least all of mine are.

After spending a little more time with Animated Leader Megatron, I've come across a problem of a sort that I thought I'd forewarn everyone else about.

The shoulders slightly detach from the torso in alt mode. In bot mode they're supposed to be flush against the torso. If you don't put them flush against the torso in bot mode, then the tops of the shoulders *will* rub against the backpack where the rotors are if you turn them to a 90 degree angle. This wouldn't be so much of a problem except that the tops of the shoulder are colored red, and the rubbing causes a line of red on the backpack which I'm sure if you did enough would rub that nice ruby red off of the tops of the shoulders which are also the intakes in alt mode. I'm glad I caught this when I did, because my favorite pose involves the shoulder being at the 90 degree angle for the fusion cannon.

After spending a little more time with Animated Leader Megatron, I've come across a problem of a sort that I thought I'd forewarn everyone else about.

The shoulders slightly detach from the torso in alt mode. In bot mode they're supposed to be flush against the torso. If you don't put them flush against the torso in bot mode, then the tops of the shoulders *will* rub against the backpack where the rotors are if you turn them to a 90 degree angle. This wouldn't be so much of a problem except that the tops of the shoulder are colored red, and the rubbing causes a line of red on the backpack which I'm sure if you did enough would rub that nice ruby red off of the tops of the shoulders which are also the intakes in alt mode. I'm glad I caught this when I did, because my favorite pose involves the shoulder being at the 90 degree angle for the fusion cannon.

Thanks for the heads up! How bout a pic of your favorite pose! I love seeing pics of others collections and fav poses!

I ended up buying another Prowl because the chipped door paint on the one side was driving me nuts because I'd zoom in on it whenever looking at the figure. I found one that had good door paint apps, but then I missed that there was a mis-app on the front near the headlights. I mixed and matched to one I'm happy with now. I don't think there's a perfect Universe Prowl because I found little defects on all the ones I went through. :(

The longer I've had the figure, the more the design's grown on me. I didn't like it when I first got it because of the door transformation, but once you figure out that you have to pull them out from the side of the car and then turn them perpendicular as the first step in transformation before anything else it all falls into place without parts popping off. I also found out by reading a review of the figure after having had him for a week that the feet pull out to give the figure more traditional ankles which allow it to better balance itself. It's an easy transform step to miss, but it makes a big difference in the figure.

Can't wait for Silver/Bluestreak.

Hmm, I just checked mine, and I don't have that problem. Both his shoulders were flush, and I had to turn his arms and act like I was transforming him to get them to pop out.

As long as we're discussing Animated Megs, FYI, the barrel on his Fusion Cannon rotates. If you turn the barrel 180 degrees, he'll be more toon accurate.

EDIT: I just won a boxed Sonic Bomber! I actually won an ebay auction, and now I have two of the Powered Masters... I may sell the box from SB tho, not really a boxed guy.

OLD SKOOL BABY!!! YEAHH!!! Very cool collection mate! Reminds me of my days before MW.

Nice lookin piece there, prometheum!

So there I was in TRU all giddy in spying a Universe Galvatron package from the side, but upon getting it free from the peg, I saw that a Movie Jazz was mistakenly sealed inside. BOOOOO!

NO $HIT!!! :lol::lol::lol: Sorry....but I had to laugh at that! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

PROMETHEUM5-StarSaber1.jpg

EDIT: I just won a boxed Sonic Bomber! I actually won an ebay auction, and now I have two of the Powered Masters... I may sell the box from SB tho, not really a boxed guy.

Awesome man, that's a great toy. I have the Robot Masters version which isn't as fun because it's so small but is still pretty cool.

Yeah, I have the RM set as well... right now they're in pieces because I was modding them to have better articulation, but I had an issue with the paint, so now that project's backburnered... and besides, now I've got a full size SS.