macross side stories

jasgripen

Several have been made...mostly as drama albums.

One of the things I like about Macross is that it's a future history, and yet (unlike, say, U.C. Gundam...which, by the way, I also love), it's not completely bewildering. In other words, it's huge, but not too huge. Macross Zero was a nice enough revisit, I don't think we need "The 08th Destroid Defender Team" (which would, I'm sure, be a thirteen episode OVA. You would start with 143 major characters, and in each and every episode, twleve of them would get shot, blown up, mashed by asteroids, left behind on Mars, etc. until there's no one left...except the plucky main character, who in the final episode, gets to drive the brand-spanking new Orguss Valkyrie...and gets blown up).

:) Nice plug for Gundam there:) I must eventually watch more than just one episode from Turn-A :)

As to the topic - I would personally love to see more fanfiction Macross side stories- only due to the fact that music is such a major part of Macross, it would be really hard to write something rather than animate it :)

Even my writing genius is at a loss for how best to put Macross up on the "written screen" - but I'm sure that eventually some ideas will bud :)

I have also always felt that Macross would do well in theater (as in live normal theater). Granted, the giant mecha would be hard to do, but the human angle of the drama is perfectly suited.

VFTF1

A few years ago, I started writing a series of short stories to fill in the gap between 2012 and 2040. I finished one about Minmay leaving on the Megaroad-01 and one about Claudia seeing DYRL in 2031, but got bogged down writing about Isamu and the "Planet Hydra Incident." Not sure if I want to pick them up again.

There was also a very interesting (and very LONG) story which used to be in the MAHQ fanfic forum...unfortunately, I can't remember who it was by (although the writer's name had "Newtype" in it) or the title...but it was about the Megaroad-01. I never finished reading it (and I think the hundred or so pages that were there were simply "Part 1" anyway, so it may not have been completed), but I liked it. Hikaru getting macronized and piloting a Q-Rau (I think), Minmay getting involved with an abusive guy who was prejudiced against Zentradi...it kind of lost me when the story broguht in an EIGHTH Protodeviln, though...since I thought Macross 7 made it clear there were only seven.

Has anyone else read it? Can you remember the title?

I also once started reading a really awful story about Mylene going off on her own to explore the galaxy and getting raped. You can see immediately why I didn't finish reading it, I'm sure...

EDIT: Ha! Found it! http://www.fanfiction.net/s/660155/1/The_Legend_of_Megaroad

Edited by Gubaba

God, The Legend of Megaroad! Now that's what I call quality fan fiction (along with Eva based Strike Fiss's Higher Learning, the only two anime fan fics I really think the studios should buy from the writers and animate). Interesting new characters, plausible drama for old characters, there is an actual sense of desperation in the entire story - and the author is not afraid to kill, sometimes in a passing line during a battle, just like that, characters he's been developing for hundreds of pages. Too bad it hasn't been updated in years, it's halfway through the second book out of three. Maybe I should start a petition.

I like side stories - si I've always thought it would be interesting to do this with Macross.

A space war I side story could be really interesting if done well. It'd be an interesting way to revisiit the classic Macross series, while offering a fresh looks at the evens of the series without going the "cheap" way of doing a remake.

Of course you could also go really to the side and simply use the universe of the series as a backdrop for something else entirely : which exactly what did Mikimito's Macross 7 Trash - and one of the reasons while I liked it so much. He used the Macross 7 has the setting - but did something very different from the series, offering another perspective on the life aboard the Macross 7. To be honest I kinda wish the Frontier manga had taken this approach as well instead of simply retelling the TV series

-Sergorn

I guess that there is always scope for things like this, but since there is such a small amount of Macross compared to Gundam (how many episodes of that exist), I think that most people would be interested in seeing Macross stories that further the main plot.

Taksraven

Is there anyone here who is a fan of Macross 7 TRASH? I read the whole damn thing. Beautiful artwork but lousy story.

I really like Macross 7 Trash. Sure it didn't have the scope of a proper Macross story, but the story was nice, the characters likeable - all in all it was pretty good. My only complain : the ending felt very rushed (And speaking of Mikimoto's manga I like Ecole du Ciel very much as well)

-Sergorn

I tried to read M7 Trash in Japanese, but lost patience. Later, I read a scanlation that didn't enthrall me, but part of that may have been that it was an English translation of the Chinese translation of the original...

Although, yes...Mikimoto is MUCH better artist than storyteller. And, as pointed out on Destroy all Podcasts, he appears to be completely incapable of drawing an ugly girl.