Battlestar Galactica Discussion III

You have to realize that WGA Strike really affected the planning and quality. Plus they had to wrap up the plotlines in 22 episodes of season 4 separated by a hiatus. 1 to 12 first half, 13 to 22 second half.

The WGA Strike messing up planning I can agree with, but not messing with the quality. I hang the quality completely on RDM... it's not that S4 was bad, it just wasn't as good as S1 and S2.

I think the mid-season ending of S4 was better than the ending we got with RDM reading National Geographic at the very end of S4. Don't get me wrong the assault on the Cylon colony was great and all. But tying in BSG to our own history was frakkin' horrible. If RDM was so set on that, he should have had Galactica arrive in "our past" and had the Galactica Fleet be the mythical city of Atlantis. Still I would have ended the series in "our future" around 8000 A.D.

Edited by Evil Porkchop

Most of the first half of S4 is probably my least favorite portion of the entire series...from what I remember. Haven't bought S4 yet on DVD, just waiting to buy the whole series on Blu-Ray. Now with that said the last episode before the mid season break was terrific.

Made me REALLY HATE Torri, worthless bitch, not carring that they where spacing the humans that have been protecting her worthless ass for the past 3 years....she went WAAAAY to cylon to me. Plus the crushing blow of finding "Earth" devestated WOW! Now that was how you do a cliff hanger!!

Second half of S4 wasn't too bad.

Dee's suicide was one of the biggest shocks of the series IMO. I felt it became way to final five oriented, and while the Mutinay story line was good, personally I just hated seeing SOOO many uniformed Colonials going against Adama...hell they pretty much made every last reoccurring military character mutinay against Adama!! Skulls and Racetrack really pissed me off gloating over Zarek killing the new chief...(can't remember his name.)

I liked the Finale,

glad they had somewhat of a happy ending. I really liked the Baltar resolution, how in the end his simple farmer father, who he was trying to separtes himself from in everyway, gave him the skills he would need in the end, and how he wept when he realised it. The attack on the Colony was just OK to me. The storming of New Caprica was better IMO.

Like I said before, overall better than anything else on TV but not up to the standards of what this show already accomplished.The problem may have come from RDM's statement to the writers "It's about the characters" when trying to figure out how to finish the series and may have lost sight of the overall story...I don't know. Again still a huge fan just didn't "feal" the last Season and a half of the show as much as I did what came before it.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

The WGA Strike messing up planning I can agree with, but not messing with the quality. I hang the quality completely on RDM... it's not that S4 was bad, it just wasn't as good as S1 and S2.

I think the mid-season ending of S4 was better than the ending we got with RDM reading National Geographic at the very end of S4. Don't get me wrong the assault on the Cylon colony was great and all. But tying in BSG to our own history was frakkin' horrible. If RDM was so set on that, he should have had Galactica arrive in "our past" and had the Galactica Fleet be the mythical city of Atlantis. Still I would have ended the series in "our future" around 8000 A.D.

Don't mean to nitpick I believe it was Scientific American not National Geographic they were reading at the end.

I don't know, after everything that happened during the last season, it's hard to see the Fleet continuing to travel among the stars. The society that they created since the exile got really bad, insurrection, government upheaval, etc. If they didn't find a home to settle in, they would have eventually killed each other from the accumulated stress of the journey.

Wished they had the same accommodations the mothership from Homeworld had.

It was a cameo, how is that arrogant? It wasn't even a speaking line. And in the future makes no sense thematically

Well...I (finally!) finished the original series today. The last episode...wasn't terrible, although the slow-motion "STAAAARRRBUUUUCKKK!!!" made me giggle.

And yep, when I returned the set to the video store, I indeed rented Galactica 1980.

It's only ten episodes long, right?

What could possibly go wrong? ;)

I liked it--it was subtle. I wouldn't be surprised if half the viewers didn't even recognize.

Subtle? :mellow::wacko:

What could possibly go wrong?

There is only one redeeming episode.

Also if Moore mined the defunk DeSanto and Singer BSG movie script for the idea of New Caprica you'll find others here.

I'm sure someone will have a straitjacket waiting for when you need it.

AAAAHHHHHHHHHGGGG!!!! IT BURNS! IT BURNS! IT BURNS US WITH STUPID!!!

(Jeez...Y'know, I saw this when I was a kid, but I had completely forgotten about the flying motorcycles, and Mike Brady, and the Cylon attack "computer simulation" scene lifted from the movie "Earthquake." Cripes, I thought the original show was bad, but man...this is worse.)

(I kind of enjoyed seeing the Mustang convertible and the F-15s, though.)

Anybody ever notice the similarities between Macross and Galactica?

A ship or fleet full of military and civilians trying to find their way home. (Macross and Galactica),

A song having something to do with their survival. (Minmay's songs and All Along the Watchtower)

A great pilot dying or sacrificing themselves to save others. (Roy and Starbuck)

Finally finding "home" only to discover it's been devastated. (Earth in both series, or at least DYRL)

Realizing that your enemy and your own race were once united, or the same.

Calling a truce with former enemy rebels only to unite and battle against the rest of the common enemy.

Love triangles. (Boomer-Cally-Tyrol, Lee-Starbuck-Anders, Tigh-Six-Baltar)

Just a thought.

I'll bet RDM & the others of BSG are Big Anime Fans, secretly Macross fans as well!!

Since a few have not seen the Finale yet, My 1st thought when the Galactica rammed the Colony, The Daedalus Attack!!!

If nothing else, Galactica 1980 will make you appreciate the well written episodes and amazing special effects from the original series. :p (...Only by comparison, of course) :D

Tell me about it. The fact that I saw all the episodes when I was kid, but don't remember anything about it (except that they go back in time to WWII in an episode, the kid genius has a dream about Starbuck, and that I found the show even then to be dull and uneventful) doesn't give me high hopes.

But hey...I made it through all 24 episodes of the original show...surely I can sit through ten (now nine) more. :unsure:

Well...I (finally!) finished the original series today. The last episode...wasn't terrible, although the slow-motion "STAAAARRRBUUUUCKKK!!!" made me giggle.

And yep, when I returned the set to the video store, I indeed rented Galactica 1980.

It's only ten episodes long, right?

What could possibly go wrong? ;)

Every single episode sucked. The only reddeming factors of that series are that Adama, Boomer (lord did he look like an old fart in that series) and Dick Van Dyke's kid (I can't remember his first name) playing Boxxie are in it.

Every single episode sucked. The only reddeming factors of that series are that Adama, Boomer (lord did he look like an old fart in that series) and Dick Van Dyke's kid (I can't remember his first name) playing Boxxie are in it.

Not much of a redeeming factor!

The best thing of Galactica 1980, is its so bad, we never get tired of bitching about it!! :lol:

Let's not hope it's not based on that train wreck otherwise known as Galactica 1980 (Dick Van Dyke's kid as Boxxie, WTF???). I wonder if Richard Hatch is going to be involved in the project.

Which is it, Wanzerfan, which is it?

Which is it, Wanzerfan, which is it?

I was just suprised when I recognized him when I finally saw the reairing of the series when Sci-Fi channel finally got ahold of it (I think it was that network, don't quote me). Even though I liked him in the series, I just thought casting him as Boxxie was a big mistake.

Edited by Wanzerfan

I was just suprised when I recognized him when I finally saw the reairing of the series when Sci-Fi channel finally got ahold of it (I think it was that network, don't quote me). Even though I liked him in the series, I just thought casting him as Boxxie was a big mistake.

Ah. So he was good in the show, but not good in the show. Gotcha.

I just finished Part 2 of the "exciting" three-part series opener of Galactica 1980.

Good Lord, this show is terrible...although I can't think of any other show that combines car chases in modern L.A. with cute little kids discovering space ships and with Nazis. Quite inventive, I guess.

I almost wept tears of shame when they said the typical "We can't alter the past" line. Right...you're going back in time to give earth a technological boost so it'll be ready to fight off the Cylons in 1980, but you can't alter the past. :wacko:

I'm getting the distinct feeling that the writers JUST DIDN'T CARE.

I think at least Glen A. Larson cared. Cared that his epic was getting screwed by the network by that time.

Yeah, I'm sure the creator of such critically acclaimed classics as B.J. and the Bear, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, and Manimal really cares a lot about integrity and quality... ;)

Yeah, I'm sure the creator of such critically acclaimed classics as B.J. and the Bear, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, and Manimal really cares a lot about integrity and quality... ;)

Don't forget Knight Rider where he carried over the Cylon LED effect for Kitt's scanner.

Every attempted sequel of Knight Rider couldn't get past season 1.

Don't forget Knight Rider where he carried over the Cylon LED effect for Kitt's scanner.

Every attempted sequel of Knight Rider couldn't get past season 1.

I didn't mention Knight Rider because, for some unfathomable reason (to me, at least), it's still remembered fondly by a lot of people. Manimal, I'm sure, has no such good will supporting it. :)

I actually think the WGA Strike HELPED the second half of Season 4.

It prevented us from having a jilted and bitter Ellen (siding with the Cylons) vs. Tigh and the Colonials (as RDM originally intended). It gave him a chance to stop; look at that last sentence; say to himself, "Uh, maybe not"; and revise that plot point into something much less cliche.

The transformation of Ellen from scheming wife to motherly Cylon at peace with herself was one of the more welcomed aspects of Season 4.5.

Oh...and I forgot to mention...Dick van Dyke's kid doesn't play Boxey (Troy), he plays the other guy (Dillon).