Battlestar Galactica Discussion III

I've been watching the first season of BSG over the last week. I'm on episode 7 now, quick synopsis:

"Six Degrees of Separation": a Six from the Olympic Carrier but lucky enough :) to not be on it when it was blown up by Apollo accuses Baltar of blowing up the defense mainframe that allowed the cylons to succeed in their attack on the colonies. It's pretty cool to see how the characters were different then but also the same and how the show's evolved.

A couple of neat things I've observed so far, which is part of the reason the show is so cool:

- Starbuck seems to instinctively know how to fly the gutted Raider, but Tyrol has absolutely NO idea what's what inside it.

- Baltar makes a condescending speech to Pooka Six about how God doesn't exist and is something the simple masses use to comfort themselves. After being accused of being a traitor and locked up, he makes a prayer to that same God. It just struck me as a neat moment given Baltar's prophet and harem status now.

- The metal Toasters showed up more than I remembered.

Edited by Alpha OTS

Yay! Razor Cylon Minimates!

CIMG1180.jpg

Pilot, Freefall, Commander Pilot, Warrior

For anyone ordering, the "Freefall" cylon is just like the pilot cylon only with carbon scorches and a knife sticking out of the wrist of the left hand.

I wish they'd release the normal size cylon figures already.

Some info on the next Battlestar movie comming in 2009!

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=47754

Sounds pretty cool to me. I often wondered about the whole "they have a plan" thing.......because it never seemed like they did. Looking forward to it and the rest of the season!

Chris

Sounds pretty cool to me. I often wondered about the whole "they have a plan" thing.......because it never seemed like they did. Looking forward to it and the rest of the season!

Chris

As far as "and they have a plan" Things change in life... even for TV shows.

Chris

Didn't the cylons admit in the show that their plan was wrong? I remember a Cavil/One admitting this to Adama. Caprica Six and Boomer had become very influential in changing what their plans were which lead to the New Caprica storyline.

I always figured the plan was genocide of the human race after figuring out how to propagate themselves.

Chris

Cool!

Seeing that we are in the middle of our Galactica dead season, I thought I'd share this. JUST a coincidence? Hmmmm... I was doing some research on Blackwater (labeled as America's Private Army in Iraq) and found this on Wikipedia. Notice at the bottom of the article the Senator's name is "Adame" and that Blackwater has a global web-site under the title "Greystone". Names (or close names) of the lead character's in the upcoming series "Caprica". Food for thought. Enjoy.

In January 2008, Marshall Adame, a Democrat running for Congress in North Carolina's 3rd District, took part in a live question-and-answer forum where he was asked a question about Blackwater. Adame, who had served as a State Department official in Iraq recounted, "I saw them shoot people, I saw them crash into cars while I was their passenger. There was absolutely no reason, no provocation whatsoever." He then stated, "There is no place in the American force structure, or in American culture for mercenaries, they are guns for hire; No more, no less."[citation needed] This led Blackwater executive vice president Bill Mathews to send an internal corporate email to staff:

Blackwater's "Greystone" (international division) website: http://www.greystone-ltd.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackwater_USA

Edited by Skullsixx

• 2 weeks later...

My SDCC Valley of Darkness Cylon arrived!

CIMG1247.jpg

I love the figure, it's just so elegant in design. It also comes with a few alternate fists and two different wrist coverings: one with weapons deployed and one with them stowed. The articulation is excellent except that there's no thigh, knee or ankle swivel for the legs, but the ball joint at the hip does allow for a wide range of dynamic poses. The way the leg's designed, it would have hurt the aesthetic to put swivel joints in them. They did make up for this by adding extra joints for the neck and head. The head can pretty much lean forward out of the "cowel" so you can get the head to turn more naturally to the left and right. I also love that the feet are accurate from the show in that they're big and flat footed so there's NO issue with balance. Another little bit I like is the piston setup for the achille's heel which is very similar to Movie Maniacs' Robocop.

Now I need to get my hands on a normal Cylon and the Razor Cylon.

Are you ready to wait till June or even July to see how "Battlestar Galactica" ends?

Aaron Douglas, who plays Galen Tyrol on the series, just told DragonCon attendees he’s heard that fans may not see a new episode till April of next year, according to the fan site Galactica SitRep.

This contradicts comments made at July’s TCA event by SciFi exec David Howe, who said Laura Roslin, the Adamas and their Cylon friends were slated to return in January.

The news also suggests that the Cylon-centric flashback TV-movie scripted by Jane Espenson may hit SciFi before the final 10 regular episodes do.

I'd be disappointed but not surprised if SciFi pushed back the "premier" of the last half of season 4. In my opinion BSG is the only thing that network has going for it. They probably know that crap like "Ice Spiders" wont keep people interested :p

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone notice in the photo behind that guy is a mural of Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada characters? Must be a Robocrap fan.

HEHEHE, just remember, the guy who brought you one of your most beloved series likes to see others you loved destroyed. :lol:

I hate the original Battlestar Galactica. One of my best friends had to basically put a gun to my head to try the re-imagined series. All I could think of was horrible dialog, cheese and awful effects. Thank gawd the new show turned out much better :)

I was the same way. I never enjoyed the original BSG, it always just kinda seemed to be capitalizing on the Star Wars look and feel with the ships. It was admittedly was before my time a bit, but sci-fi used to play it a lot. The re-imagined series needs to start back up again asap.

I hate the original Battlestar Galactica. One of my best friends had to basically put a gun to my head to try the re-imagined series. All I could think of was horrible dialog, cheese and awful effects. Thank gawd the new show turned out much better :)

LOL my friend is exactly the opposite he hated the new series. He only saw the Mini series. Now having seen a few minutes of Razor he is busy watching the whole lot just so he can watch the Razor episodes. He now loves it.

Actually, I always did appreciate the elements of the Battlestar Galactica mythos. The story itself was fascinating as was the setting. That era was a good time for creative concepts in science fiction and I can understand why modern film and television producers have been mining the 50s, 60s and 70s for "new" science fiction productions.

It was simply the execution of the original BSG which stank. Especially when around the same time I was beginning to get into anime, which had progressing narratives and dynamic character development. The original BSG seemed dated by comparison to the anime I was watching, even for it's time. That and it was a little too much like Star Wars :)

some info from Aaron Douglas about this past season's last episode

SPOILER WARNING

Q. Tell me this. Do we ever get to see the Cylon homeworld?

AARON DOUGLAS: You did at the end of the middle of season four.

Q. (pause) Wow! Really? You’re saying Earth is the Cylon homeworld?

AD: Earth, in the scriptures, is the Cylon homeworld. Yeah, they say they found evidence, they found other people, and they’re all Cylon. Or they found bones and stuff, scattered all around, and they’re Cylon.

Q. Wow!

AD: Did you not listen to that – did you not watch that?

Q. That was not made clear! Yeah, I missed that! Yeah! I saw everybody standing around …

AD: Watch the last 10 minutes. They say, when they’re digging in the, all that kind of stuff.

Q. The last thing they showed was everybody looking pissed because everything looks destroyed. I didn’t get that they were pissed because everything was Cylon. Everything was destroyed because there was like a Cylon civil war that caused them to go forth and …

AD: Tune in and watch.

Wow, so did anybody get those details when they watched it??? I sure didn't

got the info from Aint It Cool

I must have watched the mid-season finale about three times in 48 hours, and I didn't catch any of that. What indication was there supposed to be that those were Cylon ruins on Earth?! :blink:

Same thing here.

Was there someone talking that I missed?

ok, I feel a little better now that you guys said you didn't catch anything either

I think ol chief is a little too close to it and since they've pretty much wrapped on the show perhaps he is fuzzy on what's general knowledge and what's privy to the actors

or maybe the cut he saw of that episode was different than what actually aired

perhaps they made a running change since they decided to "F" us and split up the season and air the rest of it next year :angry:

That seems like a really big spoiler. Most major plot points have been kept pretty well under wraps over the years. I'm not disputing what our buddy Tyrol is saying, I'm just taking it with a grain of salt. Though it does make a certain degree of sense.