Battlestar Galactica Discussion III

I agree, I thought it was pretty odd when the Algae planet looked like such a good place to be in comparison to that decidedly unpleasant looking New Caprica (although certain parts of New Caprica also looked nice). You would also think the planet has a name in the scrolls of Pythia or something right? Beyond that, I could understand not bothering naming something that is doomed.

I agree, I thought it was pretty odd when the Algae planet looked like such a good place to be in comparison to that decidedly unpleasant looking New Caprica (although certain parts of New Caprica also looked nice). You would also think the planet has a name in the scrolls of Pythia or something right? Beyond that, I could understand not bothering naming something that is doomed.

LOL In the Battlestar Galactica comic prequel the 13th Tribe also called it the Algae planet. Since it supposedly has an entire sea of algae on it. Which did not see in the episode.

Sucks when all your food is algae.

Makes me wonder though what do the human Cylons eat on their baseships. :unsure:

LOL In the Battlestar Galactica comic prequel the 13th Tribe also called it the Algae planet. Since it supposedly has an entire sea of algae on it. Which did not see in the episode.

Sucks when all your food is algae.

Makes me wonder though what do the human Cylons eat on their baseships. :unsure:

Are the comics any good?

I stopped by the used book store on Sunday and picked up the "Battlestar Galactica Trilogy" book, with three (duh) novels in it. I started reading the first one, set twenty years before the show, but it looks like later developments in the series (i.e. The Battlestar Valkyrie) have invalidated it.

Are the comics any good?

Well nBSG comics comic vary. Most or all of it is non-canon.

Battlestar Galactica 0-12 is AU. With old style Centurions loyal to Caprica siding with the RTF. Lots of resurrected human including Zak Adama.

Battlestar Galactica: Zarek series is about our dear politician from birth to where he is now.

Battlestar Galactica: Season Zero is about Adama taking command of the Galactica dealing with insurgent elements in the Colonies.

Battlestar Galactica: Pegasus is a one shot about Cain and Pegasus before the attack on the Colonies.

Battlestar Galactica: Origins is character centric with a couple of issues focused on one character in each arc.

Battlestar Galactica: Ghosts, a side story about a Viper squadron during the attack of the Colonies.

Battlestar Galactica: Cylon War , AU of the Cylon's origins. Canon Cylon origins is with the upcoming Caprica series. Which the pilot has already been released.

Battlestar Galactica Final Five- Well there's too much spoilers in this as it is closest to canon.

Yeah, SOMETHING. :D

Guess I'll find out, huh? ^_^

I have to say that one of the things I like about this season is the way everybody's shifting around. Everyone's on New Caprica, then they're in space again. Baltar's with the humans, then he's with the Cylons, now he's back with the humans (and I'm VERY interested to see what happens to him next). Sharon becomes Athena, goes back to the Base Star, and returns with Hera and Caprica. Hell, Boomer even came back to the Galactica, albeit briefly. All the old roles are getting shaken up and falling into new places.

And just when I was beginning to like Lee, I'm beginning to hate him again, for what he's doing to D... <_<

(Yes, I'm not only into the space opera aspect of the show, but I also find the soap opera aspect interesting as well... :D )

I can't believe that Starbuck is a Cylon...the Cylons seem to need her too much for her to be one of them.

But clearly, there's SOMETHING special about her...

Believe us, she's quite "special".

Well nBSG comics comic vary. Most or all of it is non-canon.

Battlestar Galactica 0-12 is AU. With old style Centurions loyal to Caprica siding with the RTF. Lots of resurrected human including Zak Adama.

Battlestar Galactica: Zarek series is about our dear politician from birth to where he is now.

Battlestar Galactica: Season Zero is about Adama taking command of the Galactica dealing with insurgent elements in the Colonies.

Battlestar Galactica: Pegasus is a one shot about Cain and Pegasus before the attack on the Colonies.

Battlestar Galactica: Origins is character centric with a couple of issues focused on one character in each arc.

Battlestar Galactica: Ghosts, a side story about a Viper squadron during the attack of the Colonies.

Battlestar Galactica: Cylon War , AU of the Cylon's origins. Canon Cylon origins is with the upcoming Caprica series. Which the pilot has already been released.

Battlestar Galactica Final Five- Well there's too much spoilers in this as it is closest to canon.

Hmmm...that's a lot more comics than I was expecting...next time I drop into the comics shop, I'll check 'em out.

Which ones do YOU like the best?

Hmmm...that's a lot more comics than I was expecting...next time I drop into the comics shop, I'll check 'em out.

Which ones do YOU like the best?

The re-imagined series. The 12 issue. Since this didn't even try to shoehorn itself to canon. Plus there is an appeal towards Centurions acting like loyal Bolos and them being antagonistic to the treacherous Cylons.

Avoid the Final Five series if you do not want to be spoiled for the last nBSG season.

On another note it is interesting that Colonials never developed nuclear fusion technology for ships. Tylium fuels their ships and Vipers and Raptor. One factor for them not developing nuclear fusion technology for ships is that nuclear radiation renders Tylium inert thus useless.

According to Baltar tylium has the following characteristics:

Tylium ore is rendered inert and unusable when exposed to nuclear radiation.

Refined tylium precursor is more unstable and much easier to ignite than the finished fuel itself

Refined tylium has a tremendous enthalpy to the order of approximately half a million gigajoules per kilogram, or about 6 times greater than Uranium-235 and 81% that of deuterium fusion.

A tylium detonation results in no radioactive fallout.

In contrast to Macross where nuclear fusion technology was a precursor to thermonuclear reaction engines and power plants.

Lol, wtf is that? Is that from one of her movies?

Nah, this is from one of her movies:

post-939-1259904551_thumb.png

Oh, and look at who else is there...guess studying the Prophecies of Pythia doesn't save you from showing up in a crappy horror flick:

(Well, for some reason, it's not letting me upload the pic. Dunno why. It's certainly small enough...)

Can't say I've been really "into" the last couple of episodes. Baltar's LSD trip was kind of interesting, but not great, and the Sagittaron-murdering doctor was kind of like "Black Market"...an interesting concept that might've been better handled in the background of two or three episodes rather than thrust into the foreground for one.

Edited by Gubaba

I'm I in the minority in thinking that Katee Sackhoff is much hotter than Tricia Helfer? Tricia always looked a bit scrawny to me.

And I think Dualla, Sharon, and Kally are better-looking than either Starbuck or Six.

I think Maya, though, was the most mesmerizingly beautiful woman in the whole series, though. Pity she had such a small part.

Yeah, well, they won't look so hot dead. (Ha! At least one of them dies---maybe all of them---you *have* noticed BSG likes to kill off people on a fairly regular basis)

Hmm...

(And thanks for the tip about the skippable episodes. I'll watch all of 'em, of course. But it's nice to be forewarned about a rough patch.)

And, uh, let's try this again:

*deep breath* I said, "Oh, and look at who else is there...guess studying the Prophecies of Pythia doesn't save you from showing up in a crappy horror flick:"

post-939-1259908159_thumb.png

I'm I in the minority in thinking that Katee Sackhoff is much hotter than Tricia Helfer? Tricia always looked a bit scrawny to me.

Scrawny is good, me like scrawny.

Anyway, Grace Park was definitely the hotest female in the show IMO.

Graham

Hmm...

(And thanks for the tip about the skippable episodes. I'll watch all of 'em, of course. But it's nice to be forewarned about a rough patch.)

Yes - that bunch of episodes made me wonder if the show had totally lost it. Luckily it finds it's way again soon.

Yes - that bunch of episodes made me wonder if the show had totally lost it. Luckily it finds it's way again soon.

I quite liked the Adama-and-his-wife/Chief-and-Cally-in-the-airlock episode.

I especially liked the contrast between Adama and Baltar/Caprica. Adama has imaginary conversations, too, but you can tell he's sane because he doesn't actually talk OUT LOUD when he has them. :D

I quite liked the Adama-and-his-wife/Chief-and-Cally-in-the-airlock episode.

I especially liked the contrast between Adama and Baltar/Caprica. Adama has imaginary conversations, too, but you can tell he's sane because he doesn't actually talk OUT LOUD when he has them. :D

LOL I remember that. At the time I thought Colonials Humans and Cylon Humanoid Models are not really that different if they can concieve.

Indeed labeling the replicant Cylons as machines is a misnomer. They are biological augmented clones.

If Baltar can get projections and Oracles do the same stuff as Hybrids then biologically speaking they are not really that different.

Which lead me into thinking given they were supposedly created by their Lords of Kobol that everybody is a Cylon.

And I think Dualla, Sharon, and Kally are better-looking than either Starbuck or Six.

I think Maya, though, was the most mesmerizingly beautiful woman in the whole series, though. Pity she had such a small part.

ugh Kally, no thanks >.<

Racetrack was seriously hot though. Katee can look really good, but most of the show she didn't.

and for those who don't remember: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1489668/

Edited by kaiotheforsaken

ugh Kally, no thanks >.<

she was somewhat sympathetic in the beginning but by the end of New Caprica I hated her character.. just a shrill cowardly shrew of a human being.

and it pissed me off to no end she ended up being the cylon god...

Edited by eugimon

Every time I see Racetrack, she's got a helmet on. Makes it kind of hard to tell, really...but I'll take everyone's word for it.

"Racetrack" is a seriously great name, though.

(Tangentially related - one of my favorite Baltar bits in Season 1 is when he's counseling Boomer to commit suicide, while trying to resist coming on to her: "So, why DO they call you 'Boomer'?" :lol: )

Gubaba--I was going to mention that you were heading into a group of "skippable" episodes (especially the Sagittaron medical one). But don't worry, the end of season 3 rocks, as does the beginning and end of season 4.

Which part of S3 was that again? It's been a while since I saw it but I recall a part of that season where I fast forwarded through some episodes.

Which part of S3 was that again? It's been a while since I saw it but I recall a part of that season where I fast forwarded through some episodes.

Um, here's what I've watched so far for Season 3:

The Resistance Webisodes.

1-4. The New Caprica Quartet ('Nuff said.)

5. Collaborators (where they almost execute Gaeta)

6. Torn (both the humans and the Cylons get to the Lion's Head nebula, Cylons start getting sick and dying. A lot of gratifying info about the Cylons in this one)

7. A Measure of Salvation (Roslin and Adama plan to spread the Cylon plague. I liked it okay.)

8. Hero (Bulldog comes back and Adama talks about basically starting the war. Not a bad episode in my book, but far from great)

9. Unfinished Business (BOXING! And New Caprica flashbacks. Very good episode, I thought)

10. The Passage (getting through the radiation to the Algae Planet. Bye Bye Kat. I liked this one, too, although I though Kat's backstory was a little rushed)

11-12. The Eye of Jupiter / Rapture (for some reason, a lot of the mystical stuff doesn't work for me. Usually I eat that kind of stuff up, but not here. Pretty intense episode, though)

13. Taking a Break from All Your Worries (Baltar on LSD. It was okay, I thought)

14. The Woman King (Racist doctor episode. Probably my least favorite so far)

15. A Day in the Life (Adama and his wife; Chief and Cally in the airlock. I liked this one)

I'll probably finish up the season tomorrow.

Ah thank you,

it was 10 till 16 for me, they are not to bad on their own but they killed the flow of the season for me when marathoning. Though it picked up again straight after.

eugimon---Cally is Chief Tyrol's wife. I think you're thinking of Ellen, Tigh's wife.

And yes, Racetrack was the hottest. :)

might want to throw a spoiler tag on that and yeah, I know, just another bit of misdirection for our friend ^_^

?? Your last comment was already spoiler-tagged before I replied to it, so Gubaba shouldn't know what I was referring to. But I went back and spoiler-tagged just in case, or there's something I'm forgetting.

And sorry for not seeing it as a mis-direction. :)

?? Your last comment was already spoiler-tagged before I replied to it, so Gubaba shouldn't know what I was referring to. But I went back and spoiler-tagged just in case, or there's something I'm forgetting.

my comment was tagged but your reply wasn't tagged which contained a "spoiler" but I tagged it when I quoted you... not that any of it matters since those are all LIES. :lol: