Battlestar Galactica Discussion III

Yup, I think it was because the show seemed to become more Cylon-centric. Particularly S-4. Again still a huge fan of the show just wasn't as jazzed by the last season and a half. Also, don't get me wrong, there are still some great moments with out spoiling anything, Mealstrom, Adama putting a few surly officers in their places, and one of my fav's, Lee's speech. I DID also like the finale. Big division there too. ;)

Chris

Edited by Dobber

I can't wait until Gubaba gets caught up, I can't wait to start bitching about the finale. I missed it when it aired and only finished it a couple weeks ago.

I'll be heading out to the coffee shop soon. I saw my DVD provider yesterday, so she she knew I was two episodes away from the end of Season 2. However, she also likes to torture me...so whether she'll bring Season 3 with her tonight is anybody's guess.

Thank the gods...we now have an affordable (in the $30 range) Viper Mk II model kit coming! No pics, but the release is set for January so we should be seeing some pics soon!

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MM912

In other news, the ONLY reason to watch The Plan is for the awesome Colony wipeout and the best song from the show since 'Watchtower' and it's various incarnations...

Plenty of pictures here. http://www.starshipmodeler.net/talk/viewtopic.php?t=78606

You can also pre-order at starshipmodeler or many other sites. I have a couple on pre-order already.

Chris

Edit: I hate it when people speek of pictures on websites that need you to be a member to view pics. Here they are for those that aren't members of SSM.

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/7991/1484891img.jpg

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/9008/1484890img.jpg

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/8803/1484882img.jpg

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/8787/1484883img.jpg

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/5874/1484884img.jpg

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/3763/1484885imga.jpg

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/7135/1484886img.jpg

Edited by Dobber

Also the Galactica herself is the next kit from Mobeus...with the MK VII and Cylon Centurion supposedly after.

Chris

The MKII Viper is 1st on my list and when GALACTICA comes out, thats a must buy. Maybe 2 of them. One for her glory days & one after her final Jump!!!

I found these pics the other day of the new Moebius MKII Viper, can't wait!!! B))

post-6180-1258941058_thumb.jpg

post-6180-1258941280_thumb.jpg

It truly will!!! B))

I don't see how it can't. I just finished watching "The War of the Gods Part I." The one where Patrick McNee shows up as the not-very-subtly named "Count Iblis," and promises to protect the Galactica if he becomes their leader. Meanwhile, a heavenly city and some unconvincing lights are chasing him, the filmmakers use overexposed film to simulate a planet with red vegetation, and Anne Lockhart, while cute enough, is no Mrs. Peel.

Man, this show is dreadful. I can't believe it A) has fans that prefer it to the newer series, and B) has fans at all.

EDIT: I almost forgot...there was one line in the episode made me laugh so hard that I wrote it down.

Apollo: "Doctor, is it possible that this man, however handsome, could be an android?"

Edited by Gubaba

I don't see how it can't. I just finished watching "The War of the Gods Part I." The one where Patrick McNee shows up as the not-very-subtly named "Count Iblis," and promises to protect the Galactica if he becomes their leader. Meanwhile, a heavenly city and some unconvincing lights are chasing him, the filmmakers use overexposed film to simulate a planet with red vegetation, and Anne Lockhart, while cute enough, is no Mrs. Peel.

Man, this show is dreadful. I can't believe it A) has fans that prefer it to the newer series, and B) has fans at all.

EDIT: I almost forgot...there was one line in the episode made me laugh so hard that I wrote it down.

Apollo: "Doctor, is it possible that this man, however handsome, could be an android?"

I regret the day I bought the original show on dvd. Sometimes, you can't go home again. :lol:

I regret the day I bought the original show on dvd. Sometimes, you can't go home again. :lol:

SOme things are bad, even with nostalgia goggles on. I liked Battlestar Galactica as a kid, but it was never something I wanted to revisit. It wasn't until I saw a lot of online chatter about what a "classic" it was, that I decided to rewatch it.

The premiere episode wasn't awful, but it was far from good. It held my attention, but that's about it. Every episode since then has either been dull, or laughable, or completely wrong-headed.

I have to keep wondering...if the "rag-tag fugitive fleet" comprises the last remnants of humanity, why do they keep running into so many people out in space? And why do they so rarely say, "You know, the Cylons are planning to exterminate all of mankind. And they're following us. You, uh, might want to hitch a ride with us to earth if you want to survive."

I have to assume that everyone they meet will probably get killed a few hours after they leave.

Why do you think the Cylons were always lagging so far behind the fleet? :)

Because they're horribly incompetent and inefficient?

I just finished watching "War of the Gods Part II." Man...they're laying on the Mormonism rather thick, aren't they? Even the Osmonds were never this blatant...

Because they're horribly incompetent and inefficient?

I just finished watching "War of the Gods Part II." Man...they're laying on the Mormonism rather thick, aren't they? Even the Osmonds were never this blatant...

Wait til you get to Galactica '80 :)

Wait til you get to Galactica '80 :)

Oh, I've seen it before...just not in a very, very, VERY long time.

I remember something about Adama with a beard, some blond boy genius with glasses, and some plot (that bored the shit out of me as a kid) about going back in time to WWII.

I also vividly remember the "stranded Starbuck" episode, because that was the only one I actually liked.

He is. If you look around on the net, there's a lot of discussion on the parallels between BSG and Mormonism. Even the basic premise of the displaced people searching for a new home comes straight from Mormon history and mythology (Not that history like that is exclusive to Mormonism, but considering who created it...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_and...estar_Galactica

http://www.kobol.com/archives/BG-FAQ.html#E21

Mkay....Let's save the BSG's religious overtones for Wikipedia.....

Let keep on topic about Starbuck, GALACTICA, Vipers & Cylons!!!! Don't want to see this thread get locked!!!

Duly noted.

Back to the mundane, then, I think "War of the Gods" again exemplifies the main problem of the original series...the fact that the writers don't really have any clue how to write science fiction.

As such, we've had WWII movie pastiches ("The Gun on Ice Planet Zero," "The Young Lords," "The Living Legend"), cowboy movie pastiches ("The Lost Warrior," "The Magnificent Warriors"), and now, something that's more...mythical, shall we say?

Adding a figure of Ultimate Evil into a story is a tricky business for a writer, because it's tough to think of new ways for the Evil to be credibly vanquished. Adding figures of Ultimate Good into a story is even trickier, because if the heroes have godlike beings on their side, any sense of drama and tension can easily vanish.

"War of the Gods" adds both...and it wasn't entirely disastrous for the story. I remember very little about the upcoming episodes, but I hope this is a well they don't draw from too often...because, quite simply, I don't think the show's writers are good enough to pull it off.

Next up: "The Man With Nine Lives."

Duly noted.

Back to the mundane, then, I think "War of the Gods" again exemplifies the main problem of the original series...the fact that the writers don't really have any clue how to write science fiction.

As such, we've had WWII movie pastiches ("The Gun on Ice Planet Zero," "The Young Lords," "The Living Legend"), cowboy movie pastiches ("The Lost Warrior," "The Magnificent Warriors"), and now, something that's more...mythical, shall we say?

Adding a figure of Ultimate Evil into a story is a tricky business for a writer, because it's tough to think of new ways for the Evil to be credibly vanquished. Adding figures of Ultimate Good into a story is even trickier, because if the heroes have godlike beings on their side, any sense of drama and tension can easily vanish.

"War of the Gods" adds both...and it wasn't entirely disastrous for the story. I remember very little about the upcoming episodes, but I hope this is a well they don't draw from too often...because, quite simply, I don't think the show's writers are good enough to pull it off.

Next up: "The Man With Nine Lives."

To be honest, in the 70's for a tv show, it was pretty cool. It has not aged well though.

Just finished "The Man with Nine Lives." It's been a long time since I saw The Towering Inferno, but didn't Fred Astaire play a lovable con man in that, too?

And the Klingon wannabes were ridiculous.

To be honest, in the 70's for a tv show, it was pretty cool. It has not aged well though.

If that isn't damning with faint praise, I don't know what is. ^_^ Was there ANY good TV in the '70s besides some of the edgier sitcoms?

I mean...I watched it in the '70s. I liked it. I went to Universal Studios to see the Galactica section of the tour. I had some of the action figures. I had a Muffit plush toy (which barked when you pulled the little string). But I was, like, five years old.

Watching it now, I look back at that five-year-old boy I used to be and say, "You LIKE this?"

And he says, "It's pretty good. I like the stories I make up with the action figures better than the ones on TV, though. And really, all I want is Star Wars Part II. What ELSE am I going to watch while I'm waiting for that?"

And I say, "I hear ya. Just so you know, though...one day you'll be embarrassed that you ever thought this show was good."

And he just kind of nods and goes back to playing with his toys.

If that isn't damning with faint praise, I don't know what is. ^_^ Was there ANY good TV in the '70s besides some of the edgier sitcoms?

I mean...I watched it in the '70s. I liked it. I went to Universal Studios to see the Galactica section of the tour. I had some of the action figures. I had a Muffit plush toy (which barked when you pulled the little string). But I was, like, five years old.

There were a few good, non-sitcom shows. Space: 1999, Doctor Who (okay, so it started in the 60s, but it had some good times in the 70s - Tom Baker era, anyone?)... hmmm, maybe one or two more that I can't think of right now. I've heard Blake's 7 was good, but I can't remember much of it myself. Granted, it's not a long list, but...

All that said, I missed the 70s myself, and I'm working on foggy childhood memories from the late 80s and early 90s when these things finally started to show up in Canada...

There were a few good, non-sitcom shows. Space: 1999, Doctor Who (okay, so it started in the 60s, but it had some good times in the 70s - Tom Baker era, anyone?)... hmmm, maybe one or two more that I can't think of right now. I've heard Blake's 7 was good, but I can't remember much of it myself. Granted, it's not a long list, but...

Hmm...what about American TV, though?

I suppose I can adapt a Samuel Johnson line here:

"An American science fiction TV show in the '70s is like a dog walking on its hind legs. It is not done well, but you are surprised to see it done at all." ^_^

I'm beginning to think Wikipedia has a list for everything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ameri...s_by_date#1970s

Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon, Future Cop (... O.o ), Planet of the Apes, The Bionic Woman, The Six Million Dollar Man... Kind of puts things in perspective, I guess. I think the original BSG looks pretty good compared to most of those.

I'm beginning to think Wikipedia has a list for everything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ameri...s_by_date#1970s

Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon, Future Cop (... O.o ), Planet of the Apes, The Bionic Woman, The Six Million Dollar Man... Kind of puts things in perspective, I guess. I think the original BSG looks pretty good compared to most of those.

For its times, the original BSG was really good, lots of fun and special effects that made your hair stand up..... For its time that is. I was born in 76, and saw it as reruns when I was like 6 or 7. Compared to say Buck Rogers or the Six million dollar man, Galactica was for the most part a well made show. I read just the other day the show was allowed a Million Dollar per episode budget which was major back then, But expensive shows do not last long and when you make Galactica 1980 as a sequel...... its all down hill from there.

I still have yet to hear anyone say that the original Galactica was genuinely good, or explain why they like it in any terms other than nostalgia. I don't care if its the 1970s, the 1870s, or the 2270s...bad storytelling is bad storytelling. Why bother coming up with excuses for it?

I still have yet to hear anyone say that the original Galactica was genuinely good, or explain why they like it in any terms other than nostalgia. I don't care if its the 1970s, the 1870s, or the 2270s...bad storytelling is bad storytelling. Why bother coming up with excuses for it?

lol!! Agreed, it does sound like excuses for the story telling. Again if you were 7 y/o watching BSG for the 1st time, you think Wow this is so cool. Then its like watching Robotech for the 1st time in many many years and hearing Minmay's voice crash through your ear drums like a stick of Dynamite!!

And then you think, wow.... when I was a kid I thought it was soooo cool!! (Whoops, I might have been wrong...) So why there are fans of the original BSG who say its better or won't watch the re-imagined version is beyond me, one is superior, one was not.