Battlestar Galactica Discussion III

After. Funny thing is that when the new BSG was proposed, Hatch was against it and Benedict was for it (there's even a special feature on the first season or mini series DVDs with him and Katee Sackhoff talking about Starbuck together). By the end of the series their positions had reversed.

Figured as much. Write off another rant due to sour grapes. Although really, Hatch wanted screen time more, the dude is freakin' looney over BSG, and likely would have stalked the producers until they put him on screen.

After. Funny thing is that when the new BSG was proposed, Hatch was against it and Benedict was for it (there's even a special feature on the first season or mini series DVDs with him and Katee Sackhoff talking about Starbuck together). By the end of the series their positions had reversed.

Well, to be fair, Hatch was saying lots of things because he was disgruntled that his vision of a new BSG that he was shopping around at the time didn't get picked up.

season 3 and 4 make a lot more sense once you just accept that BSG is structurally a retelling of the Exodus story

Not sure if my reply deserves a spoiler strip, but better safe than sorry...

I just feel like there was a bit of a bait and switch with straight up, semi-hard, military sci-fi of the first couple of seasons. That's what I really enjoyed. Stories went from being plotted out well in advance to making it up as they go, more or less (paraphrasing what RDM and other writers have said). Also the angst was ratcheted way up in the second half of season 3. Fortunately it leveled out somewhat in season 4. Also - I hated the big reveal at the end of season 3. It seriously disappointed me and 'ruined' some of my favourite characters. That's a very personal nitpick, of course. I know a lot of people liked it.

Figured as much. Write off another rant due to sour grapes. Although really, Hatch wanted screen time more, the dude is freakin' looney over BSG, and likely would have stalked the producers until they put him on screen.

I would have actually liked it better if he had had more screen time. Tom Zarek was, when properly written, one of the most interesting characters in the series - and surprisingly enough for me, Hatch had the chops to deliver when it counted.

I would have loved to see the original and longer version of his final mutiny act, it was probably the storyline I liked the best from the last season, reminded me a lot of the intense human drama, not angst, that lured me into Galactica in the first place.

Gubaba, man, drop Battlestar Ponderosa and get yourself back on the Bucket. Not that the rest of it isn't good, but mid-season 2 and the beginning of season 3 have some of the best episodes of Battlestar Galactica, if not of TV, ever, and truth to be told I can barely wait to hear what you have to say about them.

Edit: That, and the fact that when you're done with the series we can stop using those pesky blacks stripes.

Edited by Lindem Herz

Gubaba, man, drop Battlestar Ponderosa and get yourself back on the Bucket. Not that the rest of it isn't good, but mid-season 2 and the beginning of season 3 have some of the best episodes of Battlestar Galactica, if not of TV, ever, and truth to be told I can barely wait to hear what you have to say about them.

Edit: That, and the fact that when you're done with the series we can stop using those pesky blacks stripes.

I'm really grateful that everyone's using them...I probably won't check this thread too often until I'm done, just out of consideratin for everyone else. Maybe just pop in when I finish each season.

Finished the adventures of Lloyd Bridges as General Patton Commander Cain...wow. The Pegasus two-parter was probably my favorite when I was a kid...and watching it now...I have no idea why. It's really damn boring.

One bit did give me a good laugh, though...when Adama realizes that the fleet is running out of fuel, he orders the fleet to a dead stop. I wanted to scream "ADAMA! DON'T DO IT! YOU'RE IN SPACE! JUST CUT THE ENGINES AND KEEP COASTING!!"

The original show's contempt of science is just one of the many reasons I think it sucks. The new one seems to based on more solid principles.

Has anyone watched GALACTICA The Plan yet? :unsure:

I watched it... it's a rental. Basically it fills in some of the more mysterious cylon scenes from the first season and gives some back story to brother cavil(s) and starbuck's husband dude. It's barely cohesive as a narrative (even for BSG) and it really plays like a collection of cut and extended scenes.

Some nice new scenes of the initial attack on the colonies though.

I really hope Olmos doesn't follow up on his threat offer of doing a post-Earth landing movie... given the lukewarm reception of the plan, it would be nice if they could just punctuate the whole story arc. I mean what is the story going to be like, "OH NOEZ TEH NATIVE EARTH PEOPLE are attacking us!"

I watched it... it's a rental. Basically it fills in some of the more mysterious cylon scenes from the first season and gives some back story to brother cavil(s) and starbuck's husband dude. It's barely cohesive as a narrative (even for BSG) and it really plays like a collection of cut and extended scenes.

Some nice new scenes of the initial attack on the colonies though.

Sounds good to me, I saw it at Best Buy the other day & was going to grab it. ButI thought I would see it if was worth paying for or just wait for when they show it on SyFy.

Thanks Bro!! B))

There's a surprisingly high amount of nudity in The Plan.

Same thing for the DVD version of Caprica (which I recommend watching rather then the plan). Pretty standard practice for SciFi, throw in gratuitous nudity on the DVD version that can easily be cut out for the TV version.

Nope - as far as I can remember it is just a couple of nobodys (well, they did have bodies) in a bar scene or two. Personally I would be more interested in a nude boomer, but no such look there either.

Are you kidding? The army of nude Boomers at the end of Season 1 was, like, my all-time favorite part of the series so far!

Yes, they all had strategically-placed shadows, but still...I was thinking, "Man, I wanna hitch a ride on that Cylon ship!" :D

Nope - as far as I can remember it is just a couple of nobodys (well, they did have bodies) in a bar scene or two. Personally I would be more interested in a nude boomer, but no such look there either.

There's also the uncensored co-ed shower room a la Starship Troopers that they've been teasing since the miniseries...

Same thing for the DVD version of Caprica (which I recommend watching rather then the plan). Pretty standard practice for SciFi, throw in gratuitous nudity on the DVD version that can easily be cut out for the TV version.

I think The Plan has more.

Cripes...I'm now 8 episodes into Season 2. One thing I thought was clever about Season 1 was that they did not reveal any Cylon models beyond the four revealed in the miniseries. Suddenly now, we've got two more...and one of them is the Warrior Princess, which is pretty awesome (seriously, between Starbuck's all-around hotness, and Xena joining the cast, I can see why my cute lesbian friend likes this show so much).

That said, I found the Tomb of Athena stuff to be a little silly. The rest of the show remains riveting, however.

Cripes...I'm now 8 episodes into Season 2. One thing I thought was clever about Season 1 was that they did not reveal any Cylon models beyond the four revealed in the miniseries. Suddenly now, we've got two more...and one of them is the Warrior Princess, which is pretty awesome (seriously, between Starbuck's all-around hotness, and Xena joining the cast, I can see why my cute lesbian friend likes this show so much).

That said, I found the Tomb of Athena stuff to be a little silly. The rest of the show remains riveting, however.

It only gets darker & better from there!!!! So say we All!! B))

The Plan sucked balls. I finally finished BSG and watched The Plan so I figure it's safe to go to this thread. The Plan could have been really good, instead it's a lame clip show for the most part. To make things worse... at the end you can still ask yourself "Wait, so what exactly was The Plan?" Cylons apparently don't come up with very good plans.

Yeah, don't worry about the Tomb of Athena etc. The rest of Season 2 and beginning of 3 is really good and far less "mythical".

And Gubaba---be sure not to read ANYTHING on the net about season 4, or even most discussions about BSG at all---as the final cylon model reveals happened long enough ago that most places won't even list them as spoilers---but they're huge, and the show is SO much better if you don't find out until you're supposed to (trust me, the last group of reveals is really good and makes everything you've watched so far, "different"). Personally, I'd recommend only coming here, as we all know you're watching it for the first time and won't spoil you.

Yeah, don't worry about the Tomb of Athena etc. The rest of Season 2 and beginning of 3 is really good and far less "mythical".

And Gubaba---be sure not to read ANYTHING on the net about season 4, or even most discussions about BSG at all---as the final cylon model reveals happened long enough ago that most places won't even list them as spoilers---but they're huge, and the show is SO much better if you don't find out until you're supposed to (trust me, the last group of reveals is really good and makes everything you've watched so far, "different"). Personally, I'd recommend only coming here, as we all know you're watching it for the first time and won't spoil you.

Trust me, I'm being careful. Of course, it helps that a lot of the members here are putting stuff in spoiler tags for my sake. Y'all are so considerate! :D

Besides, I already know who the final Cylon is. It's Grace O'Connor, right?

(NOW, I finally understand that joke!)

Heh heh. You will never guess the final cylon though. Well, about 30 secs before they reveal who it is, it'll be obvious. It's actually the last batch right before the very final one that's the most interesting/important. Really, the final cylon isn't that important. But the 2nd-to-last, 3rd-to-last, etc---THOSE are important.

Heh heh. You will never guess the final cylon though. Well, about 30 secs before they reveal who it is, it'll be obvious. It's actually the last batch right before the very final one that's the most interesting/important. Really, the final cylon isn't that important. But the 2nd-to-last, 3rd-to-last, etc---THOSE are important.

I just wanted to say I'm watching episode 9 of season 2, and I love how they contrasted the Chief running his hands lovingly over the Viper (to figure out what's wrong with it) to flashbacks of him running his hands lovingly over Sharon. And then having him declare the Viper busted and unusable.

Very clever sequence, and it made it's point without hammering you over the head with it.

I also love the stuff between the Chief and Helo...it's like my worst ex-girlfriend nightmare, but ramped up a notch. NOT ONLY is the ex-girlfriend in love with someone else AND knocked-up by him, but she's not even the same person, so you can't even get pissed off at her for tossing you aside... :lol:

(Can you tell I identify with the Chief more than with Helo?)

The Viper's a lot easier to fix, though. :)

Well...that's the nice thing about machines, isn't it? You tell them what you want them to do, and they do it. If they don't, you just need to open 'em up and figure out why. They're very honest and simple that way. ^_^

Well...that's the nice thing about machines, isn't it? You tell them what you want them to do, and they do it. If they don't, you just need to open 'em up and figure out why. They're very honest and simple that way. ^_^

obviously, you've never owned an 84 volvo...