Battlestar Galactica Discussion III

what the hell kind of ending have all the heroes thrown back to stone ages and then go of to died alone?

I agree. Lame. Babylon 5 Had the only great ending to a sci-fi show. Farscape would have if Bonnie Hammers of Sci-Fi Channel wasn't a dumb-ass. This wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but still lame. Espicailly with the 2 new spinoffs coming. Whoopty-frelling-do. But I never really cared for any of the characters & I only watched the episodes that would probably have some big explosions.

And if this show really "respected its roots", then it would have been about Humans fighting against the true Cylons. Not Terminator in space with battle droid regects & Matrix style story writing thrown in for bad measure. And this will never be considered in the same league as Blade Runner. That had characters that were likable despite their faults.

Disclaimer: Mechwolf's opinions are the product of his own insanity which is usually in direct contrast to the insanity of other sci-fi fans. Case in point, he likes both Original Trilogy & Prequel Trilogy equally as well as The Clone Wars.

I'm feeling indifferent about the final episode, partially because my DVR'd recording was artifacting like crazy and because I got home late and am tired as hell.

I thought the action of the first half was awesome.

One thing I thought was kind of stupid was how Chief frakked up the whole Resurrection download.

His reaction kind of negated the whole rekindled feelings for Boomer they developed a few episodes back.

If Boomer was his true love, why'd he get so pissed about Cally getting airlocked. Cally who shot Boomer in the gut.

Cally who got knocked up by Hot Dog.

Also, weren't chief and Tori a couple back in their pre-resurrected days?

I don't know, I just think the way they wrote his reaction negated a lot of character development and history they built with Chief.

Then again, this is the same guy who punched Cally in the face and brained the Pegasus rapist, so....guess I shouldn't be so surprised.

Wasn't sad about Tori in the least because I think she's probably the most worthless character in TV sci fi next to Mohinder from Heroes.

Okay...Never expected the Colonials/Cylons to pull a SG1 Ancients. In SG-1 and SGA after the war was lost with the Wraith they came to Earth and gave up technology. Some assimilated to the local human population, others ascended. Well Kara was sort of ascended as an angel.

I never seizes to amaze me how the Galactica pulls Macross manuevers. First was the rescue in Caprica now with a Daedalus Attack.

In a way the Colonials/Cylons are the Protoculture. The first ones with culture. Teaching their culture was one of Lee's ideas especially with language.

While it is true that humans naturally evolved there is a hint of alien manipulation. Like what is implied in the Macross franchise.In this case with Hera.

One thing I thought was kind of stupid was how Chief frakked up the whole Resurrection download.

That's something I thought made perfect sense. What he saw was the cold-blooded murder of someone he loved which had been kept secret from him, never mind the strain on that love or what other people he'd felt feelings for. His not striking out in some way, even if it had been less severely, would have been the real shock.

Chow I think Chief's reaction was somewhat expected. I think he was more or less over Cally, especially after he found out Nick wasn't his. Still think of what he went through after she died. the guy almost killed himself. So I can see him going nuts on Tori purely because she caused him so much turmoil. That's still very real even if he doesn't have any remaining feelings for her. Chief has always been a bit emotionally unstable.

And yeah they were a couple on Earth before it fell but it seems like the Tigh's were the only ones to continuously be a couple. It may have been a shred of mercy/decency on Cavil's part to leave them together after he killed them or he may have had other motives for keeping them a couple. None of the other Final Five seemed to keep anything residual from their past.

At first I was mentally screaming "what the F*ck are you doing chief?!" when the Cylons called trap, but in his doing so, they basically solved the "bad" Cylon problem right there. I don't think Cavil would have kept his word, the guy is a snake. So Chief's freak out probably worked in everyone's benefit.

ok forgive me but when the chief said he was going north i suddenly had a flash from hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy slarty bartfarst bit ..... :lol:

i still don't know if i liked the ending or not, it seemed to me to just go limp wristed after boomer got shot...and the whole times square dancing robot montage felt cheap and student filmy <_<

Regarding the Chief's moment of rage saving the fleet in the long run, don't forget all the other "coincidences" that occurred to send the Cylon Colony to its destruction:

* A handful of nukes aimed and fired squarely at the Colony;

* After a post-mortem Racetrack pressed the launch button;

* After her Raptor was hit/nudged by an asteroid;

* After Racetrack had made the decision to fly in with weapons hot.

A lot of strange coincidences? The work of a higher power or being?

Or the writers having a little fun, sitting back, and waiting to see how us fans interpret it? ;)

Edited by Mog

Awesome ending!!! They really got to figure out the whole wrap up for this many characters... Kinda like LOTR. If the episode ended with the assault and they just toasted a drink on their way back to any earth... I woulda been good.

I think 6 feet under had the best character wrap up ever. But this one gets kudos for the final fight. The Tirol thing didnt bother me that much, I thought about how the XO killed his own wife and it's was an almost similar thing but I just chalk it up to being a rage consumed hypocritism... and yeah Kara was an angel, just like Baltat and Six, but a more active, less knowledgable one. Part of God/Gods plan.

Its funny I've only seen BSG as it released on TV, (Still haven't gotten around to the DVD's yet) Not sure why but I didn't remember hearing that particular theme before, but it was the perfect salute to the Galactica's Final voyage.

Also the vintage Centurions looked bad ass with those massive rifles!!

It's been around since the mini-series, where it was used during Galactica's decommissioning. It's been scattered around in bits and pieces here and there since. Back when the mini aired, I was even wondering if they'd sneak it in somewhere. As for faithfulness to the old guard, I think it did better than a lot of others. Sure, a lot was changed. I remember being rather peeved at the Terminator like take on the Cylons, removing the whole lizard race and such. I sort of got over it after it became apparent that it was done so with a clear vision in mind and not just to write out Imperialist Leader. For all the things they changed though, they kept just as many things. A lot just keep a setup. Here the Galactica actually looked like the Galactica, Centurions were descented from the old models, you even got to see classic Raiders. The Vipers were the same. It might seem trivial, but the fact that they kept a lot of the old look of the series differently went a long way in my book. Then you have the heavy presence of Richard Hatch, the use of some of the better storylines like The Living Legend, and it's hard to fault them for taking it in new directions. I will admit that I was not too fond of the miniseries back when it aired. It was the TV series that really repaired the qualms I had with it though.

They did indeed look badass, and meshed well with the redesigned models. Though it would've been nice had som,e been actors instead of CG. Though given the cost of making such a suit, I can't blame them.

I personally though Galen's reaction was perfect. Even if you play down his relationship with Cally, she was still important to him. Not to mention the shock of learning that it wasn't suicide but murder. I always figured he'd flip when he found out, whether she was a consolation wife or not. I'm just glad Tori got what was coming to her. She should have told him earlier. I sort of wished he'd have gotten to be with Boomer in the end.

It is sort of like Gall Force. Though that sort of endings been around for ages.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Yeah, this is what happens when you create a show (and then proceed to go almost 2 seasons into said show) with a pre-defined ending (finding Earth) without any idea what your character's motivations and the end game are.

Was the episode good? Yes. Am I satisfied with the ending? No.

I'm not a fan of it, but sudden and simple Luddite twists and the idea that if we threw away all our tools we'd stop being mean are too common as sci-fi moral lessons for me to be surprised. What really got me was that after several seasons of every change of lifestyle or tactics leading to division, resentment, even outright rebellion, it felt weird to

have all the survivors of the fleet quickly, peacefully, and unanimously decide that moving to a life of chipping stones and dying at thirty was the best and only future for humanity.

Thank you, that's the thought I was leading into. I'm too much of a logical thinker for it to not bother me.

Oh dear lords... I lol'd at the Glen Larson Galactica feature film being planned (or discussed). Attempt to cash in on the success of the reimagined series or a final: "my version is better than yours" attempt... ?

Though don't get me wrong, I've never seen the original, but it's safe to say it would be comparing apples and oranges.

Edited by Ghost Train

The biggest failing in the end, for me, was the lack of an explanation for the Lords of Kobol and the Cylon's one true god. From what I can gather from online sources, if you go back to the first few seasons, there are some vague references to a fracturing amongst the Lords of Kobol that led to the exodus of the 13 colonies, and the rise of the one god (who is hinted to be one of the Lords of Kobol). I'm big on mythology, and I think they missed an opportunity to add another dimension to the backstory while making the plot at the end a bit cleaner.

Ever since Cally was killed and the Chief never knew how it really happened and threw himself into his own personal hell, I was waiting for him to get some payback. Once you've really loved someone, no matter the good or bad, you still loved them and as for Tory, she got what she deserved in the end!!

As for the ending, Its not at all how I thought they would end it, but it was great. I mean if I had survived all those battles, The political BS, All 12 colonies destroyed, New Caprica and the real Earth were all duds, the Mutiny and you've lost more friends & loved ones combined. Give me a peaceful stretch of land, fresh air and a little stream near by & a small cabin to live out my days and I'd be as happy as could be. No more cities or War machines in my lifetime. ( I think that was Lee Adams thought).

And Since the beginning of the Series, its been quite obvious to me that the producers & writers have all seen the share of Anime over the years!!

As for Kara

I was really sad to see her just disappear while talking to Lee, But in the end she was the Angel who saved Humanity. And she went back to be with Sam.

Well I seem to be going against the grain in my opinion of what chief did, but I found this ironic and amusing

In Daybreak Part 1 when the red line is drawn down the flight deck...

Tori is hesitant about going over to the Suicide Mission side...

But Chief Grabs her and says "We've got more important things to do"

More important things? Like what?

"Like me choking the life out of you!" :lol:

I had to sleep to ponder the finale, then I remembered, "All of this has happened before...:"

"There are those who believe that life here began out there, far across the universe, with tribes of humans who may have been the forefathers of the Egyptians, or the Toltec, or the Mayans. That they may have been the architects of the great pyramids, or the lost civilizations of Lemuria or Atlantis. Some believe that there may yet be brothers of man who even now fight to survive somewhere beyond the heavens..."

They finally gave that narration some meaning. Sure, they made the latter part literally what happened with Galactica 1980, but still...

:lol:

It was okay, I had fears that the ending would be something between

the first Gal Force and the Space Runaway Ideon movie.

Awesome. The show wrapped up as perfectly as I could have asked for story-wise. I would have liked a bit more tension and extended battle scenes, but in the end the characters are what drove this show, not the graphics, so the creators decided to spend the last 45 minutes tying up the characters stories. I'm cool with that.

Months ago, I actually thought they were going to end the show this way, "colonizing" our Earth, but when they discovered Cyclon Earth earlier in the season, I threw that theory out the window. I was pleasantly surprised to find that idea again :)

Was it the best ending to a show ever? Not quite for me, that mantle belonging to Avatar The Last Airbender, but I really did enjoy it.

Now that the series is over, here are my Top 5 6 Episodes/Moments in the series

1. The Viper Raid on the Cylon tylium refinery in the Hand of God (Season 1)

2. Boomer being activated right after nuking a basestar & putting two rounds into Adama's gut in Kobol's Last Gleaming Part 2 (Season 1)

3. The Blackbird being built in Flight of the Phoenix (Season 2)

4. The Galactica and Pegasus assault on the resurrection ship in Resurrection Ship (Season 2)

5. Galactica's Atmosphere drop and the Pegasus kamikaze in Exodus Part 2 (Season 3)

6. Galactica storming the Cylon Colony in Daybreak Part 2 (Season 4)

Anthropologically speaking this might explain why we have a fear, and fascination with artificial intelligence, and humanoid robots.

With the colonial/cylons interbreeding with Cro Magnum man leaving US with a genetic legacy. A natural apprehension of automatons.

Oh dear lords... I lol'd at the Glen Larson Galactica feature film being planned (or discussed). Attempt to cash in on the success of the reimagined series or a final: "my version is better than yours" attempt... ?

Though don't get me wrong, I've never seen the original, but it's safe to say it would be comparing apples and oranges.

Actually this has been talked about/planned since long before this show came along. The particulars of who was to write & produce it have been what has kept it from going forward for over a decade. When Bryan Singer was in charge of the new BSG, it was supposed to be more in line with the original. But when he left to do X-men, David Eick & Ronald Moore changed the premise.

& you are right. It is like comparing apples to oranges, which to me begs the question, why take an orange & name it an apple? This show would have done the same in quality & popularity if it was named something else.

It is like comparing apples to oranges, which to me begs the question, why take an orange & name it an apple? This show would have done the same in quality & popularity if it was named something else.

Yes, I believe you're right. The show did not need the name Battlestar Galatica to do as well as it did, and as a old school BSG fan I probably would have watched more of the show if it had a differnt name. ^_^

Now that the series is over, here are my Top 5 6 Episodes/Moments in the series

1. The Viper Raid on the Cylon tylium refinery in the Hand of God (Season 1)

2. Boomer being activated right after nuking a basestar & putting two rounds into Adama's gut in Kobol's Last Gleaming Part 2 (Season 1)

3. The Blackbird being built in Flight of the Phoenix (Season 2)

4. The Galactica and Pegasus assault on the resurrection ship in Resurrection Ship (Season 2)

5. Galactica's Atmosphere drop and the Pegasus kamikaze in Exodus Part 2 (Season 3)

6. Galactica storming the Cylon Colony in Daybreak Part 2 (Season 4)

I TOTALLY agree!!!

I still think I learned more about mitochondria from "A Wrinkle in Time" than from school...

Frackin brilliant. Madeline L'Engle! Meg and Charles Wallace saw Farandolae living and dancing inside the Mitochondria when they shrunk down to be inside a Mitochondria in A WIND IN THE DOOR...

Darn too many comments to quote. Oh well finally got to watch it:

1. I thought Cavil/John went out in a cheezy way. Yeah I think we all expected him to get punked but not by himself.

2. I liked the whole "This is Earth now because we say it is" thing. :p Gave all the right reasons but still was funny.

3. I too enjoyed the OS theme reprise as the ships headed off to their shining beacon.

4. They didn't have poo as it was, and New Caprica worked out so awesome, so it made perfect sense for them to revert.

5. I for one am glad they didn't go in depth with the mythology/religion. Yes you need to know why they thought those ways but there should be some things that the viewer is aloud to think for themselves. Baltar over all was done great with logic vs. philosophy and survival vs. purpose. I was expecting him to go to the starboard side too, and cringed when he didn't because I could see how with that and the "confusion" with the download the makings of a "bad end" but they decided not to.

6. Hera was supposed to be the start, and how many skeletons would last that long? They put so much into making her the link to the future and what not it would be a killjoy if they found Cottle's bones.

Darn too many comments to quote. Oh well finally got to watch it:

16. Hera was supposed to be the start, and how many skeletons would last that long? They put so much into making her the link to the future and what not it would be a killjoy if they found Cottle's bones.

Most skeletons that old would be fossilized, and they would not be able to recover DNA.

Would Cottle be found still clutching a cigarette in his mouth.

Was the skeleton supposed to be of a child or a adult?

Edited by miles316

The final episode was just a bit so so. Predictable ending. Good to see what happened to the characters though, I'll hand them that. Adama and Roslin did some fine acting together.

The thing that saved the episode for me was the conversation between the two angels.

Seriously, noble savages...yuk. Giving up all scientific progress for a life of disease, hunger and tribal warfare... no thanks.

Time for a retcon!

Anders gets second thoughts and parks the Galactica on the dark side of the moon. Ready for the humans to pick her up when their hearts have caught up with their minds ...Enter "Pink Floyd - Dark side of the moon"

I for one am glad they didn't go in depth with the mythology/religion. Yes you need to know why they thought those ways but there should be some things that the viewer is aloud to think for themselves.

Well, they did, but they didn't. Only way to get those tidbits would be go watch the first few seasons on DVD.

Basically, we have the 12 Lords of Kobol, some sort of higher life form that ruled over the humans on Kobol. At some point, one of the Lords became jealous and wanted to be worshiped above the rest, and proclaimed himself to be the one, true Lord. The inference is this being is very likely the Cylon "God". Civil war broke out amongst the Lords, which led to the humans leaving Kobol 2,000 years before BSG.

The Cylons consider the Lords of Kobol not to be gods at all, but do believe they existed. The Cylon "God" does not like to be called such, and I think you can take from this that the Lords of Kobol were not gods at all, but simply an advanced race of beings. Its much more "Ship of Lights" than something spiritual or omnipotent.

Ehh, ending was so-so for me. Was hoping for a balls-to-the-wall ending and that only happened in the first 30 minutes. This type of "quite" ending for a show like BSG was not my cup of tea, but to each his own. Great series, can't wait until I can finally get the whole series on DVD.

Bring on the Cylon-side mini-movie. Did they say when it would air?