Battlestar Galactica Discussion III

Final Cylon tidbits:

SciFi Channel's Mark Stern describes the reveal of the Final Cylon as "organic and satisfying. It won't be some day player from Season 1."

Aaron Douglas' comments during the writers' strike regarding the Final Cylon: "I was curious quite a bit but it was certainly a shock when I found out who it is. I never would have expected that person. It is revealed in the last thing we shot so if we don’t come back, that will be the end of the show." From Aaron Douglas Interview [This seems to indicate that the Final Cylon is revealed in episode

, which was the last filmed before the strike. Aaron's comments fit with the mid-season teaser that had Tigh addressing someone as the fifth Cylon.]

• 2 weeks later...

I guess Caprica's about the development of the original Cylon - complete with soap-opera-like family drama ... WTF???

I didn't see a single action shooting/space battle scene in the trailer.

:ph34r:

Caprica Trailer

it's like the plot of Small Wonder, guy builds an underage girl robot

:lol: at Esai Morales as Grandpa Adama...

RIT-CHIE!!!!!!!!!

Alright, I'll just come out and say it.....what the hell is this crap? So humans created the human cylon, huh?

What we wanted: toasters, space battles, vipers, toasters, baseships, battlestars, raiders, toaster rebellion, FRACKING MACHINES!

What they gave us: a human cylon 51 years before the fact. Therefore, crap.

Call it something else. This is not what I expected, nor is it what I wanted. Let me guess, at the end of this "show" the military will purchase the technology and lucky us will be treated to a digital schematic of the toaster we waited two hours through the show to see. Blech. /rant off

I was kind of put off by the fact that the first cylon is apparently a Skin-job, yet 51 years later everyone is like "OMG, the cylons look like us now!"

Just have towait and see how the show wil be, already new from the get go that this was not going to be a action/drama....after all NO battlestars even exist yet because they were built during the war to fight the cylons.

Chris

I was kind of put off by the fact that the first cylon is apparently a Skin-job, yet 51 years later everyone is like "OMG, the cylons look like us now!"

Just have towait and see how the show wil be, already new from the get go that this was not going to be a action/drama....after all NO battlestars even exist yet because they were built during the war to fight the cylons.

Chris

I can't completely buy that premise. There's the colonies and they're trading with each other. There has to be *some* sort of police force for that. May not be a Battlestar per se, but definitely something that holds vipers.

Unless space travel's really low tech and vehicles are few and far between a mere 51 years ago, which is just imo, lame.

Think about it. The 1st one is a skin job. This scares the creators. They make 'em like toasters and enslave 'em. Cylons rebel. In their genetic make up is the key to the skin jobs. Only the general public never see nor know of the 1st skin job. Makes sense to me.

I can't completely buy that premise. There's the colonies and they're trading with each other. There has to be *some* sort of police force for that. May not be a Battlestar per se, but definitely something that holds vipers.

Unless space travel's really low tech and vehicles are few and far between a mere 51 years ago, which is just imo, lame.

Never said there weren't some sort of military there, just no Battlestars.

Chris

Think about it. The 1st one is a skin job. This scares the creators. They make 'em like toasters and enslave 'em. Cylons rebel. In their genetic make up is the key to the skin jobs. Only the general public never see nor know of the 1st skin job. Makes sense to me.

That idea could fly, although if its anything lame then cue the "they rapped by childhood/adulthood!" posts

First skinjob/first scare idea could be cool, but I don't know how they are going to make this all fit into the mythological stuff they are building for Galactica itself (then again, who knows how they are going to pull the "divine robots" thing off, so they might tie it all together, somehow). If it turns out to be lame... well, screw this shite, I'm gonna start writing fanfiction :ph34r:

this would make better sense if there was a substantial gap between the first skin job made by humans, and the first "Surprise!" skin job made by the cylons themselves. maybe a span of 100 to 200 years, thus absolutely no one would suspect or remember that toasters were once skin jobs. but caprica is set just one (or 2 at most) generation earlier. in the grand scheme of things, that's a pretty short period to develop a skin job to a toaster and back to a skin job.

i think they sacrificed this more reasonable development of the cylons in order to have a series that can be generationally connected to bill adama. i'm sure they can pull it off (and i'm pretty sure it's not a major continuity mistake on their part), but Ihave to say that a longer gap would still have been more logical and natural.

First skinjob/first scare idea could be cool, but I don't know how they are going to make this all fit into the mythological stuff they are building for Galactica itself (then again, who knows how they are going to pull the "divine robots" thing off, so they might tie it all together, somehow). If it turns out to be lame... well, screw this shite, I'm gonna start writing fanfiction :ph34r:

well, the idea to create the first cylon might have been divine inspiration from a "one" god (which by that time was a pretty weird concept, i'm guessing). And then that first cylon would be hired to baby-sit baby Saul Tigh. and while she's at it, she'll also baby-sit the future parents of Tyrol, Foster and Anders and... oh you know where this is heading. :p

More likely its down to cost as Human actors pretending to be robots are cheaper than CGI actors who are robots.

Bring back the guys in the Centrion suits I say

Yup, here you go. This was posted on another forum a few months ago and was the first time I finally got to see it too. It's really poor quality but you can get the gist of it. If you notice you can see probably where TNS got their insiration for their Raider from.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Interesting article, but the paragraph where the "Cylon Collective" is revealed was groan-inducing. Considering how good the current BSG is, I'd say Singer made the right choice when he left to make X2 (a great movie in its own right).

Yup, here you go. This was posted on another forum a few months ago and was the first time I finally got to see it too. It's really poor quality but you can get the gist of it. If you notice you can see probably where TNS got their insiration for their Raider from.

Chris

Yeowzer, talk about a Star Wars rip off. :D Baltar's the emperor! It was pretty interesting, but the old show pilot helmets did NOT age well.

That trailer was shockingly pretty well done.

Oh, just encase anyone gets confused, this is not the Bryan Singer Galactica test footage. This is the Richard Hatch old school Galactica continuation that he never got off the ground.

Edited by Duke Togo

That BSG second coming trailer looked better than the Caprica trailer IMHO.

Minus the FX of course.

I'm a die hard bona fide nuGalactica fan with a respectful disregard of pretty much everything Galactica 1978-80 except Maren Jensen... and I gotta agree with you, dammit! :ph34r:

Thanks for the link! Watched the whole thing, a full hour long. The mics for the cast are set really really REALLY low, and I had to turn my monitor volume way up to hear them. Doesn't really tell you anything new about the show, but it's neat to see the cast act like regular people. When asked what was the best moment in the show, a lot of them said it was when Galactica entered the atmosphere of New Caprica. I have to agree. That's going to be a moment that'll be hard for Galactica or any other sci-fi show to top.

I was actually at that panel at Comic Con and I felt that Kevin Smith was coming across as a dick the whole time. You could kind of tell that some of the cast felt uncomfortable and irritated with the tone that he was taking with the questions. He was especially being a douchebag to Michael Trucco, the guy who plays Anders. I don't really like the character he plays, but he stayed pretty composed and had some witty comebacks despite Smith being an ass to him, so I have a new respect for the guy. Ironic that I don't like his character but think the actor is cool now and how I think Kevin Smith movies and his Silent Bob character are cool but now I think he's a dick as a person.

I was actually at that panel at Comic Con and I felt that Kevin Smith was coming across as a dick the whole time. You could kind of tell that some of the cast felt uncomfortable and irritated with the tone that he was taking with the questions. He was especially being a douchebag to Michael Trucco, the guy who plays Anders. I don't really like the character he plays, but he stayed pretty composed and had some witty comebacks despite Smith being an ass to him, so I have a new respect for the guy. Ironic that I don't like his character but think the actor is cool now and how I think Kevin Smith movies and his Silent Bob character are cool but now I think he's a dick as a person.

I've seen enough Kevin Smith that I know that that's his schtick, so it didn't really phase me. He could have dialed back the cursing though. I think that's what really caught the cast off guard.

I've seen enough Kevin Smith that I know that that's his schtick, so it didn't really phase me. He could have dialed back the cursing though. I think that's what really caught the cast off guard.

Well, Katie seemed particularly taken back. But I agree, Kevin Smith is like this in everything he's hosted/interviews/etc, so I'm sure they knew exactly what they were getting when they signed him up.