Macross Frontier News Thread II *Read 1st post*

azrael

Those images of Mikhail and Luca's VF-25's are awesome! I wonder where the undercarriage fin folds to when it converts to gerwalk/battroid modes? I like how the elint seeker VF-25 still carries a weapon and doesnt need fast packs to have the radome and sensors. Luca's VF-25 looks a little freaky with that stark blank white face.

I like how the elint seeker VF-25 still carries a weapon and doesnt need fast packs to have the radome and sensors. Luca's VF-25 looks a little freaky with that stark blank white face.

That's because he moonlights as a Knight Saber on his days off... :p

I wonder where the undercarriage fin folds to when it converts to gerwalk/battroid modes?

Left arm, near the shield.

The names of the operators are (approximated spelling):

(purple hair) Mina Lorshan (I guess it can even be spelled Rawshan)

(orange hair) Monika Lang

(pink hair) Lum Hoa

Commander: Jeffry Wilder

FV

Edited by Final Vegeta

Left arm, near the shield.

The names of the operators are (approximated spelling):

(purple hair) Mina Lorshan (I guess it can even be spelled Rawshan)

(orange hair) Monika Lang

(pink hair) Lum Hoa

Commander: Jeffry Wilder

FV

LUM??!! Her name is LUM??!!!! :blink::wub:

It's french. But the Mayan sacred song in Macross Zero was in french too...

-Sergorn

That's what I was trying to remember, what made me think maybe the Mayans spoke french.

Remember, kids, France was once a colonial power. There are a lot of places in the world where french is spoken.

LUM??!! Her name is LUM??!!!! :blink::wub:

ラム can be romanized in several ways, but I guess a Japanese would always see it as a reference of Uruseiyatsura's Lum (by the way, Takahashi gave Lum the name of a singer, IIRC).

EDIT: I am self-taught so I have my limits. ローシャン has a ー that elogates the preceding vowel. Somewhere I've seen this sign turned into an "r", but now that I think about it it was probably an error <_< . I've googled directly ローシャン and it gave me names like Hrithik Roshan. You can guess it, it's an Indian surname. By the way, a red pottu on the forehead means a married girl :blink:

FV

Edited by Final Vegeta

Has the naming contest winner been announced?

June edition of Newtype (on shelves May 10th). They will probably announce the winner around the same time on the website.

I was fooling around with the Triangular single tonight trying to create a TV size edit of the Kareoke mix and it's timed differently then the actual TV version. I'm not 100% sure but I think the TV version or the actual release is slowed down by a beat or two.

Well, I just picked up the new June 08 issues of both Hobby Japan magazine and Dengeki Hobby magazine (out today) and there is absolutely no new news on the Bandai Macross Frontier toys and models. :(

The last time any new photos were shown was back in March at Wonder Festival & Tokyo Anime Fair. I was hoping Bandai would have a product update by now.

The only Frontier news in the magazine is some info about the Frontier DVD/BR-disc and small pictures of Luca and Mikhail's battroids, of which larger pics are on the official site now anyway.

Graham

[...]

Remember, kids, France was once a colonial power. There are a lot of places in the world where french is spoken.

Polynesia is still a french colony nowadays, although we don't use the 'colony' term any more, but Mayan may not be very far from...

Hard to say, the compendium is not very precise on this point

Well, I just picked up the new June 08 issues of both Hobby Japan magazine and Dengeki Hobby magazine (out today) and there is absolutely no new news on the Bandai Macross Frontier toys and models. :(

The last time any new photos were shown was back in March at Wonder Festival & Tokyo Anime Fair. I was hoping Bandai would have a product update by now.

The only Frontier news in the magazine is some info about the Frontier DVD/BR-disc and small pictures of Luca and Mikhail's battroids, of which larger pics are on the official site now anyway.

Graham

Hmm... I get the feeling that Bandai is taking a wait and see attitude with Frontier before commiting with their products. While not surprising from them since the series doesn't feature a Gundam, though I wonder what else are they going to do now especially now that 00 is finished for now. You'd think they'd make a push with Macross since it'd keep their cash income going.

Speaking of which, was there anyone else here who attended Tokyo Anime Fair for the Macross event? I remember some one else here mentioned that he might make it at the time. Bentene70 I think it was?

It'd be good to compare notes, especially since I not only missed out on the event, tickets were all sold out by the time I got there, my hold of Japanese is so low I could only understand 1 in every 10 words.

Then there's also the Satelight booth event where Kawamori and one of the character designers Takahashi Yuuchi, I think, talked about Frontier.

Granted they mainly focused on the upcoming release of Macross Chronicles but there's got to be some info gems in there.

Graham

The new Figure Oh issue has a feature with Kawamori visiting the Bandai factory in Shizuoka. He's getting all excited handling the legendary molds for the 1/72 VF-1 kits.

In my opinion, Figure Oh is the only magazine that caters for the serious toy fan in Japan, the others seem more like phonebook-sized Gundam adverts, with no articles.

The new Figure Oh issue has a feature with Kawamori visiting the Bandai factory in Shizuoka. He's getting all excited handling the legendary molds for the 1/72 VF-1 kits.

In my opinion, Figure Oh is the only magazine that caters for the serious toy fan in Japan, the others seem more like phonebook-sized Gundam adverts, with no articles.

Sounds like I've got to track down a copy of that mag. It's rare to see Kawamori anything but reserved and polite in pics or interviews, so him being excited is a real plus in my opinion.

And I agree with you with the toy mags and I blame the huge Gundam Fix range they keep releasing. I've walked into a toy store in Japan and have been surprised that they took up an entire shelf stand. Though there was a time in the past when I was excited to see a model mag with nothing but Gundams in it. Granted that was when Gundam Sentinel first hit the scene, and in my opinion the only Gundam design worth a damn, but I've since cooled off dramatically.

Am I the only a bit disappointed in Frontier's designs ? I mean, it's not like the VF-25 is dull by any means, but compared to previous generations this valk is not a big step up design-wise (I don't mean technology-wise), IMO it doesn't present any new or revolutionary design features (like the jump from DRYL to Macross M3 to M+ valks) or at least it doesn't have that WOAH! factor to it (like the VF-4 after the VF-1 or the YF-19/21 and SV-51 when we first saw them).

I know Kawamori wanted to stay away from modern fighters design trends (passive stealth and whatnot), but he could still have gone with something fresh like the stuff from yukikaze or his own works (like kissdum fighters designs) for that matter.

And then we have the characters designs/art style... I can tolerate them so far (perhaps because it's macross), and they're not that horrible (Sheryl's design is by far the most polished imo) but they certainly fall behind previous series (even M0), it's just too Bishōnen-esque for my tastes. It truly is a shame that Mikimoto couldn't make it into the Frontier team IMHO.

Don't take it the wrong way guys, I'm not trying to troll anyone here. I'm really loving frontier so far, it's not very often we get a new TV series and this one is just gold, it's like I'm 5 years old all over a gain. I'm specially drooling for the VF-25G, particularly the head unit (very VF-0A-looking and the fact it's a snipper type valk ). And the characters are truly likable ( Nyan Nyan is soo cute, Alto better not make her sad or else he'll get a whole lot of Ozma-punch on his pretty princess face...again :lol: ). It's just that being the 25th anniversary series, Frontier sometimes feels like a very rough and rushed job compared to the preparation that went into previous works (ONLY IN TERMS OF DESIGN AND STYLE!!!).

I know Kawamori wanted to stay away from modern fighters design trends (passive stealth and whatnot), but he could still have gone with something fresh like the stuff from yukikaze or his own works (like kissdum fighters designs) for that matter.

I think Kawamori wants to de-Hero his designs this round. He's got to make them work with LEGOs as well....

It truly is a shame that Mikimoto couldn't make it into the Frontier team IMHO.

Oh well.

Don't take it the wrong way guys, I'm not trying to troll anyone here.

Hey, my beef is with Maaya Sakamoto singing the OP theme, so trust me, not everyone is gonna like it.

I think Kawamori had fully transforming real world Toy counterparts for his VF design in mind this round. Seeing how a toy/model line can infinitely render more revenues for him more than the TV series ever will, he probably had in mind a more practical design that could actually be produced in real-world manufacturing procedures. Especially now that toy manufacturing is now more intricate and accurate and are actually not catered for purchase by 'kids' but by 'collectors', I can see that the VF-25 was designed with that in mind.

And then we have the characters designs/art style... I can tolerate them so far (perhaps because it's macross), and they're not that horrible (Sheryl's design is by far the most polished imo) but they certainly fall behind previous series (even M0), it's just too Bishōnen-esque for my tastes. It truly is a shame that Mikimoto couldn't make it into the Frontier team IMHO.

I am curious about this Mikimoto cult?

Animators hated working with his complex character designs and they didn't always come accross as beautiful on screen as they appeared on paper.

Mac Plus didn't have Mikimoto and it is generally regarded as a fan favorite in the west, even Zero had a different character designer.

I like the refreshing change (doesn't hurt I liked the character designs of Eureka 7). The designs lend themselves well to both comedy and emoting of the characters. IMO.

Mikimoto is signed on to do the merchandizing artwork, such as DVD covers, posters, etc... I'm very happy about that. Trying to revive the glory days when he was a young struggling artist taking any jobs he could is a bit much for me.

I love his art, but am also ready for the new breed to show me their stuff as well.

I dont know guys I think the vf25 is simple but elegant ang modern too i like them not as i like the vf1 but a like it