Aircraft Vs Thread 5

Nied--despite me spending more time on airliner forums than anywhere else on the net, I have never heard it called that. (though of course, 762 pilots seem uncommon--I don't know any---mainly because the 763 is so much more common)

I confess that I can't for the life of me remember where I first heard that nickname. A quick Google search turns up this column that at least proves I haven't gone crazy.

Awesome! Thanks David!

That Blue Angel flying over the water has a vapor cone following it. I always thought that those were formed because the aircraft is flying +Mach 1, but this one doesn't seem to be going that fast. :unsure:

The top 10 low (and I mean low) high-speed passes of all time:

Well, so F-35 costs have doubled (it's made the "real" news at this point, not just aviation sites). Super Hornet sales are looking good though---Denmark is seriously considering it, and Boeing has just said they'll let Japan license-build them, if they buy some.

Hey, I posted the link so that the 45-sec uber-lame Top Gun homage was skipped... (I really hate videos where the intro is like 1/3 of the entire video)

I noticed that. To be honest, I figured you cut to the chase for a good reason, and didn't even bother to check what was before it. I trust your judgment in these matters. ^_^

Well, since the first good diecast and plastic 1/72 F-22's both just came out this month or so, it might be a while.

Diecast? Do tell

Hobby Master's new diecast F-22, with open and closed weapons bay options, gear up or down options, and removable drop tanks/pylons:

http://www.thediecasthangarpub.com/viewtop...f=23&t=1303

That is the first one anyone has gotten to review and photograph, sent direct from the manufacturer, so any you have seen previously are much inferior models.

I plan to wait for either a 27FS demo plane, 94FS, or 525FS.

Lowest-price place I know of that is reputable that still has some pre-order slots left:

http://www.aimhigherjets.com/HA2801_F22_Ra...ad_p/ha2801.htm

Praise be to the Celtic gods of lift, the F-35 hovered for the first time on St Patrick's day:

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=454...c=AME&s=AIR

So at what point did they decide to replace the cool sliding hinged doors on the X-35 with a giant, goofy looking hatch?

From the link David provided.

F22 Raptor 1/72 Die Cast Model 27th Squadron, Langley Ari froce Base, Virginia, 2005

:lol:

Yes, he's got a few more typos than some (I think he tries to type too fast), but he's a good dealer.

So at what point did they decide to replace the cool sliding hinged doors on the X-35 with a giant, goofy looking hatch?

I think that was part of the Weight reduction program that was started when they were not reaching their target weight for the F-35.

The F-35 has had that type of door for a couple of years now.

I think that was part of the Weight reduction program that was started when they were not reaching their target weight for the F-35.

The F-35 has had that type of door for a couple of years now.

Actually the new door is a bit heavier than the bi-fold doors on the X-35. The new design was chosen because it helps direct more air into the lift fan intake, increasing thrust enough to more than counteract the extra weight.

Anyone else here think the T-50 would look sooo much better if only it had F-22 or YF-23 style exhausts? Those round nozzles just stick out sorely and don't gel well with the design.

The russian testing of rectangle engine result in less IR firm but more weight and less maniobrability.

The F-35 also has circular engine.

They did? Pics? Lineart? Link? Please?

Could that be one of the contributing factors to why the F-35 doesn't get much love?

I used to have a diagram that would be relevant to the discussion but I can't seem to find it. the gist of it though was that by increasing the area of jet exhaust that contacts outside air, you decrease the IR signature of the engine but also decrease the thrust it produces.

a conventional engine with a round nozzle has the least contact area so it produces the most thrust but has the largest IR signature, and on the opposite end an F-117's slit shaped nozzles produce the lowest IR signature but don't produce much thrust.

The F-35 has a round nozzle with a saw-tooth edge, which is supposed to give the best balance of thrust and IR signature reduction.

the F-22's square nozzles are actually produce more thrust than the F-35's but do less to cool the exhaust.

They did? Pics? Lineart? Link? Please?

Could that be one of the contributing factors to why the F-35 doesn't get much love?

Retracting Head Ter Ter, was very very difficult but here they are. The experimental SU-27 LL-PS. First flight 1989.

nozzle1.jpg

nozzle2.jpg

nozzle3.jpg

nozzle4.jpg

nozzle5.jpg

Retracting Head Ter Ter, was very very difficult but here they are. The experimental SU-27 LL-PS. First flight 1989.

...and you say there was a weight/maneuverability penalty with this sophisticated installation? Hard to believe... :rolleyes:

Edited by Phyrox