Aircraft Vs Thread 5

Hmm, I sense a money making oppurtunity here, I wonder if I should get copies burned to disk from Don and then sell them off my website.

Oh and Ghost Train, yeah it reminded me of that, but in Mac+ the YF-21 went to burner to accelerate away so fast, in the video the real YF-23 was still in mil power.

Oh and Ghost Train, yeah it reminded me of that, but in Mac+ the YF-21 went to burner to accelerate away so fast, in the video the real YF-23 was still in mil power.

Do post VF-0 valks actually have afterburners? I always assumed those 'flames' were just higher power settings rather then traditional afterburners (of the injecting fuel into the exhaust variety).

This is kinda OT for this thread but considering that valks use nuclear engines, any overboost would be just revving the turbines up faster rather than 'real' afterburners. Maybe thats why the fluff states 'overboost' rather than 'afterburners'.

Of course they could dump the nuclear fuel into the exhaust and blow it up via some OT fission/fusion method and get a real huge bang but thats rather ehm, un-environmentally friendly?

Back to the thread. Where did this J-XX photochop come from? Is it based on some Ace Combat cut-scene? Love the YF-23 homage. Pretty good photochop too. Can even see the reflection on the hanger floor. Canopy looks like it came from some Airfix kit though.

post-1806-1249440315_thumb.jpg

jxx.bmp

Edited by Retracting Head Ter Ter

There is an "overboost" setting on the throttle of the VF-1, which I'm guessing could be some sort of afterburner.

actually the VF-1 (and presumably all VF's) have afterburner which is 120% power, and overboost which is 200% power.

Back to the thread. Where did this J-XX photochop come from? Is it based on some Ace Combat cut-scene? Love the YF-23 homage. Pretty good photochop too. Can even see the reflection on the hanger floor. Canopy looks like it came from some Airfix kit though.

That looks pretty sweet! The nose reminds me of the VF-11.

Wing dropping in transonic turns? That sounds familiar: http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2009/...35c-flight.html

::edit:: LOL, right after I posted this, I found the Super Hornet comment in the article.

Lockheed did one better on Boeing by identifying this in wind tunnel testing instead of just before service entry. From what Aviation Week is reporting Lockheed thinks they may be able to solve the wing drop problem using nothing but tweaks to the flight control software. They added the spoilers to CF-1 (and likely 2) as an extra safety margin, and they think it's likely production models will remove the hydraulics and bolt the spoiler in place.

Wing dropping in transonic turns? That sounds familiar: http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2009/...35c-flight.html

::edit:: LOL, right after I posted this, I found the Super Hornet comment in the article.

Is this somewhat similar to the issue that Grumman had with the F9F Cougar?

Like what is written here? Landing Condition Stall Problems

I've never really found an explanation of how/why the transonic drop occurs--merely that it does. I know/understand how a wing drops in a stall. I honestly don't know if they're related. (based on how the Super Hornet's issue was cured, I'd suspect it only occurs in high-alpha turns, and is related to a stall-induced drop)

I think it's that the wing on the outer side of the turn goes faster, probably reaching or breaking the speed of sound and the resulting shockwave generates a loss of lift on that wing. And then the aircraft start a roll on the opposite direction of the turn.

UK/RR stops development of JSF engine, likely to cancel orders for VTOL version of JSF. So what do they plan to do with the new VTOL carriers they're building?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...ter-engine.html

My understanding is that they're looking at installing EM catapults and buying the F-35C instead of the B.

Is this somewhat similar to the issue that Grumman had with the F9F Cougar?

Like what is written here? Landing Condition Stall Problems

That's more of an asymmetrical stall leading to a spin. The_Woz's explanation is pretty spot on.

UK/RR stops development of JSF engine, likely to cancel orders for VTOL version of JSF. So what do they plan to do with the new VTOL carriers they're building?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...ter-engine.html

Apparently the reporter in question is extrapolating (i.e making things up... :lol: ) from things that are already known. The B model is still the UKs preference, however, it has always been the case that the C is a possibility if there are severe development or cost problems with the B. Likewise, the carriers have always been planned with the potential for being fitted with catapaults (naval Typhoon, remember?).

Yes, but potential for catapults, and having catapults, are quite different.

Well the French are buying the same design and their carriers will have catapults so I doubt the UK will have much trouble adding the same thing to theirs.

Yes, but potential for catapults, and having catapults, are quite different.

True - I love the way that "fitted for" implies that a capability is there when its not :lol: - but what I'm trying to get at is the reporter appears to be exaggerating a known thing into a big "great unknown oh look the governments messed up again!" thing

Happened a few days ago, but wish i was there when it did.

http://www.edwards.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123163158

hope the link works, Firefox 3 disables my right click in certain places, like here and in my E-mail and when i first get online (have to exit and restart).

Cruel Angel's Thesis