Aircraft Vs Thread 5

Not sure where to post, but did anyone else get to see that video of the prop pilot doing aerials and his right wing come flying off and he actually slowed himself down by flying upwards and lowered like a chopper and fricken landed the thing!!!??!?! I got it on vid, have to wait till the weekend to upload onto photobucket or something, i can't get my head around and want to believe it was CG but it ani't!

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Not sure where to post, but did anyone else get to see that video of the prop pilot doing aerials and his right wing come flying off and he actually slowed himself down by flying upwards and lowered like a chopper and fricken landed the thing!!!??!?! I got it on vid, have to wait till the weekend to upload onto photobucket or something, i can't get my head around and want to believe it was CG but it ani't!

Apparently it's a fake. I know that planes can land one winged (an F-15 did just that... but the pilot didn't know he was missing a wing), and RCs have enough thrust to do it, but a fully sized acrobat plane... No way in heck.

Apparently it's a fake. I know that planes can land one winged (an F-15 did just that... but the pilot didn't know he was missing a wing), and RCs have enough thrust to do it, but a fully sized acrobat plane... No way in heck.

Aerobatic performers hanging mid air on their props has become downright commonplace in performances. Especially with the combination of immense power and lightweight construction you see on a lot of newer aerobatic planes. Look up videos of any of Sean Tucker's performances for a good example of the type of aerodynamics defying stuff you can do with a modern aerobat.

It's just that the landing when he actually got it horizontal only a meter form the ground and ever so softly plonked the landing gear down... talk about lucky arse! If there ever was a time God wanted someone alive... :lol:

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

"Did I leave the iron on?"

I know I probably said this about the F-22 sometime before, but whenever I watch videoes of this aircraft performing these aerobatic feats, its incredible to think that Lockheed's original ATF concepts started out as oversized F-117's with afterburning engines to make it go supersonic. Doubt that a "fighter" version of the F-117 could pull maneuvers like this. :p

Interesting how the aftermath looks----a lot like cracks and potholes in a road! (the 747 wing test is far more impressive though---when it snaps, the whole building shakes)

787 program is in worse shape than before though, first flight and first deliveries have been delayed to "no specific date set".

Try as I might I couldn't find that video anywhere. Could you post it, please? I'm DYING to see that thing.

I haven't posted a "wallpaper pic" in a long time---here ya go, a great F-22 shot:

http://www.holloman.af.mil/shared/media/ph...F-0502F-006.jpg

Never realized that Holloman's 49th FW was getting F-22's in direct replacement for their F-117's. So in a way, they traded in their stealth "fighters" for real stealth FIGHTERS!

Any Bay area MWers have any idea why an F/A-18 would have been buzzing around over Alcatraz last Thursday?

And now a blackhawk is buzzing around my office near Pac Bell Stadium. I haven't seen this much military hardware in the skies over SF since fleetweek!

Interesting how the aftermath looks----a lot like cracks and potholes in a road! (the 747 wing test is far more impressive though---when it snaps, the whole building shakes)

787 program is in worse shape than before though, first flight and first deliveries have been delayed to "no specific date set".

Word from within Boeing is that they've been in "Bataan Deathmarch" mode for a good year now trying to get it up and running, with no real end in sight.

Just making sure everyone's aware of the RetroHornet (it's 30 now, believe it or not)

http://s288.photobucket.com/albums/ll171/j...Hornet/?start=0

Based off of the crispness of the picture, was this a current day Marine Legacy Hornet painted up like the protypes?

Speaking of anniversaries, it was 20 years ago yesterday (the Xbox 360 anniversary, too!) that the first B-2 was rolled out to the public. I was a freshman in high school back then. Earlier in the spring was when the first artist depiction was shown to the public (the exhausts were painted out in that painting).

It was also twenty years ago this month on November 10th that the first picture of an F-117 was revealed to the public. Lots of military aviation history this month!

I hear that. All hail the last of the Grumman 'Cats, one Sierra Hotel bird.

Here, here. From what I have read and granted it's not as much as most. But the 'Cat could carry more ordinance further and faster than even the SuperBug can. And when ordinance was packed on the 'Cat it's performance was not affected nearly as much as a Hornets. Too bad the Navy couldn't pull their heads out of their collective asses. The Super Bug was never an efficient replacement for the Tomcat and never will be. I believe I also read that (Northrop) Grumman wanted to upgrade the F-14/produce new actual airframes and the Navy more or less cut them off at the knees on that plan.

At least the Air Force is actually getting/already has an aircraft (the F-22) that is an upgrade to the F-15. (I won't debate who should have won the fly-off between the YF-22 and the YF-23 though). To me what the Navy did with the F-14 and F-18 would be like the Air Force giving up it's F-15s to use a larger version of the F-16 like the F-2.

Edited by Evil Porkchop

Here, here. From what I have read and granted it's not as much as most. But the 'Cat could carry more ordinance further and faster than even the SuperBug can. And when ordinance was packed on the 'Cat it's performance was not affected nearly as much as a Hornets. Too bad the Navy couldn't pull their heads out of their collective asses. The Super Bug was never an efficient replacement for the Tomcat and never will be. I believe I also read that (Northrop) Grumman wanted to upgrade the F-14/produce new actual airframes and the Navy more or less cut them off at the knees on that plan.

At least the Air Force is actually getting/already has an aircraft (the F-22) that is an upgrade to the F-15. (I won't debate who should have won the fly-off between the YF-22 and the YF-23 though). To me what the Navy did with the F-14 and F-18 would be like the Air Force giving up it's F-15s to use a larger version of the F-16 like the F-2.

Eh... there is a whole internet cottage industry around why the Tomcat is/was better than the Shornet, much of it debatable, if not questionable. You can search the forums for some of it.

One thing I will say is that of the airframe procurement projects launched since the end of the Cold War, the Super Hornet was actually one of the better run programs and came with few delays and minimal cost overruns. ($381 million dollars over price, on a $9.2 billion dollar program.) A tomcat upgrade would have been just as bad, likely worse than the Super Hornet. Had the Navy gone with a true follow-on successor, it is quite likely it would now be in the same position of the Airforce; trying to maintain a 1970s era legacy fleet, while praying the next administration will spend the dollars to approve a replacement fighter during an economic downturn. Instead the Navy actually has a brand new fighter/attack fleet to meet global demands.

Eh... there is a whole internet cottage industry around why the Tomcat is/was better than the Shornet, much of it debatable, if not questionable. You can search the forums for some of it.

One thing I will say is that of the airframe procurement projects launched since the end of the Cold War, the Super Hornet was actually one of the better run programs and came with few delays and minimal cost overruns. ($381 million dollars over price, on a $9.2 billion dollar program.) A tomcat upgrade would have been just as bad, likely worse than the Super Hornet. Had the Navy gone with a true follow-on successor, it is quite likely it would now be in the same position of the Airforce; trying to maintain a 1970s era legacy fleet, while praying the next administration will spend the dollars to approve a replacement fighter during an economic downturn. Instead the Navy actually has a brand new fighter/attack fleet to meet global demands.

Yeah discussions like these are why the internet invented the "Not this sh*t again" guy. In addition to what you mentioned I'll add that the life cycle costs and maintenance/uptime features the Super Hornet are vastly better than any of the Super Tomcat proposals out there (remember kids, an aircraft that's in the hangar for an overhaul is an aircraft that isn't dropping bombs or protecting the fleet).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just finished reading Apache, by Ed Macy. Its about British AH Mk1 Apache attack helicopters (thats the up-engined, waterproofed one) in Afghanistan. You might recall the story from a little while back about a rescue mission where some Royal Marine Commandos rode into an enemy fort by, basically, hanging onto a couple of Apaches.

Its actually the first military memoir I've read that actually costs all the weapons fired. Every so often, you see on the news a Para firing a Javelin anti-tank missile. Thats forty thousand pounds.

On the fort mission, the four Apaches fired off over a million pounds worth of munitions. One of the crew (female, as it happened), accounted for about half that total. Needless to say, they were "Winchester" when they got back to base. :)

A-10 fans will be pleased to know that one makes a nice, scene-stealing cameo, too.

Edited by F-ZeroOne