The Xbox 360 Thread Pro Edition

I beat GOW2 on Saturday.

Awesome. I have so many theories!

I also picked up the GOW novel so I will dive into that this week.

Was the story really improved from the first one? I beat the first one once, and played it up to the final boss in co-op, but I never had a clue what was going on.

Was the story really improved from the first one? I beat the first one once, and played it up to the final boss in co-op, but I never had a clue what was going on.

yeah, there's an actual story and it gives some hints into the story of the locusts.. it's not much of a story but it's there.

Same theory applies to video games IMHO. Even if those discs don't have visible (or tactile) goo on them, they are not clean, and eventually all the microscopic bits of gunk that flaked off, will build up and screw with your system--especially the optical drive.

Honestly, I feel a lot safer with used disks than used carts. There's no physical contact, so grunge won't rub off.

Dust is the most likely problem with optical drives. Hard to keep dust out, especially on more modern systems where you're blowing air through constantly. And dust + grease = fun times.

Though on my PS1, it was the power board that bit the dust. I think it's a power supply issue, anyways. Amazes me to this day that it wasn't the cheapass drive mech.

My XBox(bought used), it was the mechanism that opens and closes the drive door that failed. Plastic tab that locks the door got ground down, it looks like.

My used SegaCD? Still running like the day it was made.

Something to be said for more expensive components.

And my NES carts never needed to be blown on or take 20 attempts to boot right, but all my friends' did...

I'm curious. Did you leave carts in when you weren't playing?

That's the only thing I can think of that'd really make a difference, long-term.

Because the NES' weak point is the ZIF connector. The pins get bent back and don't make perfect contact anymore.

And the lockout chip, based on my experience, is a LOT more sensitive to a poor connection than the ROMs. Hence the frequent flashing title/intro screens.

I really got into Gears1.

I think I beat it at least 3 times and I knew what it was about.

The first time though you are kinda lost in this new place.

Gears2 does a better job of explaining it within the game context itself and doesnt leave so much unanswered but it brings up a bunch more questions.

Half the marketplace is down, notably themes/gamerpics.

Also---WTF is with not having any sort of anime-colors? I was all set to make a Grace avatar, only to find out there's no purple hair... (well, there is a fakey purple-maroon under the red category, which is contrary to their apparent "natural colors only" selection)

Also, you can't change the colors of clothes. I found a perfect top for Grace, but it's white and you can't change it. Did find a "Ranka" dress and considered that for a second (right color and style, more or less), then I remembered there's no green hair either...

(no, I don't intend to make my avatar resemble me AT ALL---no fun in that)

Hey, with my first couple choices being impossible due to no green/blue/purple hair available, I went with my "standard stand-by", because that hair style/color is ALWAYS available everywhere.

Props for recognizing her, with what little I had to work with. (the dark coat being available helped a lot for the Scully look)

Compared to this afternoon, Live is better in some spots, worse than others. I've already had a forced update today. Expect another one soon...

PS--it seems backwards compatability is gone/broken for the moment, for a lot of games if not all.

So who here actually based their avatar off of themselves? I like a lot of the new dashboard features, but I'm definitely going to miss the way the old dashboard looked and how you were able to lay out your themes.

Right now the two games I'm playing at the moment are Gears of War 2 and Guitar Hero: Aerosmith. Funny thing about GH Aerosmith is that from just two or three nights of playing it, I got like 31 of the 49 achievements (I managed to beat Hard difficulty in one shot without failing a single song) and I already have 535 or so GS points from it; in comparsion, GH III which I've had for over a year now, I only have about 250 or so GS points, 24 or so of the 50+ achievements, and I still haven't beaten hard (the last 5 songs are murder). Further proof that GH III was way too difficult.

I've been playing with MilkManX and some of his friends on GOW2 over the last few nights, and they are a great bunch to play with. :)

I did my best to base my avatar off myself.

I'm trying to finish up Fallout 3 as a good player, then I'll play it sporadically as an evil character.

I just loaded COD5 and COD4 onto my hard drive.

I still have not opened up Gears2 or Dead Space yet. I'll get around to them eventually.

I'll install those onto the HD later, thankfully, I have the Elite HD. I'd run out of room if I still had the 20gb HD.

Replying to Apollo Leader: My biggest complaint is the new guide appearance---white text on grey boxes. And no theme changes that. The dashboard is very colorful, but the new guide is even more boring than the old one--you could at least choose a background pattern for it. Now, it's plain, plain, plain dark grey...

PS--you've been playing with MilkManX a lot? That would explain why he's been shirking his mod duties lately... ;)

I don't know much about the Xbox360 but my brother asked for one for Xmas. He said something that confused me, maybe you guys can help. He said something about watching movies on it. He's pretty tech savvy but when he said movies I thought of two things, the failed HD Drive the XBox360 had and the blu ray on the PS3. Does Xbox360 have an HD movie download through Netflix or something? I didn't want to seem like i was entertaining the notion of getting him one so I didn't ask him to clarify.

I don't know much about the Xbox360 but my brother asked for one for Xmas. He said something that confused me, maybe you guys can help. He said something about watching movies on it. He's pretty tech savvy but when he said movies I thought of two things, the failed HD Drive the XBox360 had and the blu ray on the PS3. Does Xbox360 have an HD movie download through Netflix or something? I didn't want to seem like i was entertaining the notion of getting him one so I didn't ask him to clarify.

yes, the new dashboard has netflix download capabilities, but not HD movies. Not yet at least. I doubt he wants the HD dvd player since that thing is dead. At least you can find those HD DVD movies for under 15 bucks at Fry's. ^_^

As for my Avatar, i tried to make it resemble me just so you can know who's kicking yo @$$! :lol:

yes, the new dashboard has netflix download capabilities, but not HD movies. Not yet at least.

Not through the Netflix app, anyway. You can buy/rent HD movies through the regular Xbox Live Marketplace, ala the AppleTV or similar devices.

So who here actually based their avatar off of themselves?

Me.

I'd run out of room if I still had the 20gb HD.

That's why I'm not installing my games. I'm using what space I have for Rock Band tracks.

PS--it seems backwards compatability is gone/broken for the moment, for a lot of games if not all.

Any update on that? I don't have a ton of Xbox originals left, but the ones I have I will want to play again.

My avatar's sorta based on me.

And it'd be really neat if you could export SC4 characters to use as avatars(though there's a whole host of reasons it wouldn't ever happen).

Of course, I think someone would kill me once the horrors I've created in that were inflicted upon the world. I'm bad about firing it up and trying to make something awful enough that it looks intentional.

Took me 3 months to even plug my 360 in after moving... is there any point in me getting the connection up for the NXE when I have no intention of going beyond my silver membership?

It's a mandatory update to the dashboard itself, and will start force-loading itself onto your system with new games--I think one game already out has it on the disc. The only way to avoid it would be to stop buying any new games, and only play what's already released.

for the HD DVD you need to buy a drive separately. otherwise you can only play normal dvd, but if you buy the Xbox 360 elite you get the HDMI you can watch the movies on a HD screen with upscale.

I thought all newer 360s have the HDMI port now? I was at GS a few weeks ago and they had a used Elite HD (120GB) that I bought for $65, then I was wondering what to do with my old 20 gb Halo 360 HD, so I bought an Arcade system (the cheapest one) for my son (since I sold his old system back in the spring because of bad grades), so he can use the Halo HD, and the Arcade system came with an HDMI port.

It's a mandatory update to the dashboard itself, and will start force-loading itself onto your system with new games--I think one game already out has it on the disc. The only way to avoid it would be to stop buying any new games, and only play what's already released.

Been awhile since I've bought any 360 games. Mostly all over the PS3 these days....

yeah, they all come with the HDMI ports. but only the elite comes with the cables to use it. (though HDMI cables are only about 10~15 bucks).

as for the NXE... I'm really liking it so far. the new layout is a little easier to navigate, though I'm still getting used to where they put everything. I really love the avatar function, though I was a little bummed about the limited selection of stuff. but they say new stuff will be forthcoming, so heres hoping.

when I first made my avatar I tried to make it look like me:

but I decided I'd rather look at something that doesn't look like me so I made this one:

I think the avatar function's my new favorite time-waster. ^_^

ANYWAYS... I've got high hopes for the new interface, the premium themes look cool, though a bit expensive. hopefully they'll be coming out with new stuff to go along with the NXE soon.

I I've been playing mostly AC6 lately (though I'm getting world at war tomorrow) haven't had a chance to try out downloading games to my hard drive yet (I've got an Elite so I've got plenty of room).

how do you do that and is it worth doing?

Been awhile since I've bought any 360 games. Mostly all over the PS3 these days....

Same for me, but substitute PC for PS3. I build a new box in late spring/early summer, so not only do most games look better on my PC, they tend to be $10-$30 cheaper.

I'd prefer to get into the PS3 more, since my 360's a launch-day unit and I'm still dreading it red-ringing on me. In fact, I was going to pick up the new Need For Speed for the PS3, but then I heard that the PS3 version was the worst for dropping frames, and went with the 360 version at the last minute.

Oh well, it gave me an excuse to turn my Xbox on and grab the update.

Replying to Apollo Leader: My biggest complaint is the new guide appearance---white text on grey boxes. And no theme changes that. The dashboard is very colorful, but the new guide is even more boring than the old one--you could at least choose a background pattern for it. Now, it's plain, plain, plain dark grey...

PS--you've been playing with MilkManX a lot? That would explain why he's been shirking his mod duties lately... ;)

Yes, I've been stealing Milk from his administrative duties. :D

I completely agree with you about the guide's appearance. Could they have made it any more bland or uglier?

And for those who are loading their 360 games to their hard drive:

Halo 3 works less efficiently loaded on to a hard drive.

Edited by Apollo Leader

but I decided I'd rather look at something that doesn't look like me so I made this one:

Heck yeah. I've been thinking about going that route, and just making "whatever I want it to look like, based on no-one and nothing".

My current: avatar-body.png

(I have to adjust the height though--I made her TOO short--and the 360 does it wonky--more of a "head proportion" change than anything---and it only exaggerates the freakishly long hands inherent to the 360-Mii)

Great, but I still can't make Grace. Severe lack of basic office/secretary/business clothes for women. (same complaint I have for SC4 and even SC3---a basic normal skirt is nowhere to be found, when like half of all anime chicks need that) (and I could make a better Scully, too)

PS--I really hate "hidden" junk like that. MS seems fond of it---do they enjoy people complaining?

Great, but I still can't make Grace. Severe lack of basic office/secretary/business clothes for women. (same complaint I have for SC4 and even SC3---a basic normal skirt is nowhere to be found, when like half of all anime chicks need that) (and I could make a better Scully, too)

PS--I really hate "hidden" junk like that. MS seems fond of it---do they enjoy people complaining?

there's supposed to be free weekly updates to the avatars, for now... so maybe you'll get your business attire.

Well, you are talking about the company that gave us Windows Vista.

I downloaded the new xbox experience and personally I feel its a step in the right direction... the ability to now install some 360 games on the HDD is a big plus... Some games need that feature to reduce loading times and chopping... this happens to be the case with the last remnant atm... The game is good but it drops to 25-20 frames sometimes on a huge cutscene or battle. Problem is I don't feel like buying a 99 gb hd so I can install my games... the least microsoft could do is give you a discount or something...