The Xbox 360 Thread Pro Edition

I worked there a long time ago, and it was kinda up to who was taking the trades in. Typically I turned away games that were beat up. That being said, we had tons of games that probably weren't even playable that were used. Since it's just pure profit for GS when they sell used, and the used game sales are typically high, they'd like to take pretty much anything they can get.

Sarcasm--you mean paying 95% of MISB for one that's scratched, dirty, missing half the pages in the manual and the artwork sleeve at Gamestop isn't a good value? (and they somehow show up in that condition the same week they're released)

Is it 95%? Heh, I always thought it was more. The used games are only $5 less than the brand new ones. Call me cheap, but I'll gladly pay the extra $5 to guarantee I'm not inflicted with any of the aforementioned that Dave listed.

The walls are always stocked full of used games. You'd think they'd move more of them if they actually made them, you know, priced to sell?

edit: typo

Edited by Alpha OTS

I worked there a long time ago, and it was kinda up to who was taking the trades in. Typically I turned away games that were beat up. That being said, we had tons of games that probably weren't even playable that were used. Since it's just pure profit for GS when they sell used, and the used game sales are typically high, they'd like to take pretty much anything they can get.

they've since sent out posters that detail what to take and what not to take. and they're to take back everything that can be resurfaced.

We actually used to move a lot of games that came back used 3-4 days after they came out. Personally I always buy new, especially after having spent some time there as employee. People just see that 5 dollars less and jump on it, it's kinda nuts. Even more nuts when you think that GS only gives you like 20-25 bucks on a used game if you traded it in the day after it came out.

That's a real shame Eug, especially since we used to just defect games out (send them back to the warehouse) if they were shipped to us resurfaced. It was always a half assed job. Nice to see they care...

Edited by kaiotheforsaken

Sarcasm--you mean paying 95% of MISB for one that's scratched, dirty, missing half the pages in the manual and the artwork sleeve at Gamestop isn't a good value? (and they somehow show up in that condition the same week they're released)

No, I avoid Gamestop ever since I left. Maybe if they're running a buy-2-get-1 deal. I buy most of my used stuff at a place around here called CD Warehouse. They usually charge $40 if the game is $60 new.

I worked there a long time ago, and it was kinda up to who was taking the trades in. Typically I turned away games that were beat up. That being said, we had tons of games that probably weren't even playable that were used.

And I was an ASM until 2006. We tried to be a little more discerning at our store... and we got chewed out for it. Corporate didn't care how much crap you were taking in that had to be set back to the warehouse to be resurfaced and stuffed in a generic case with no cover. Corporate cared about GI subscriptions, reservations, used game sales, and the dollar amount of used games we took in.

I took the job there because I liked interacting with games, in the era when you could actually talk to an employee who played the games and could give you an honest opinion. I quit because I was tired of writing up those employees and for "not meeting performance goals" and being forced to replace them with sleazy used-car salesmen who'd tell you that not only is Imagine: Baby the most awesome game ever, but they'd only be getting two copies, so you'd better reserve it.

I used to trade in and buy games at a local independent shop. They rejected lots of games. They had a PSX and TV set up right on the counter--they'd pop it in and test it right then and there. Anything you bought used, you knew would be in very good condition. (especially since most of the people trading in were people like me, who keep their stuff minty-mint)

I used to trade in and buy games at a local independent shop. They rejected lots of games. They had a PSX and TV set up right on the counter--they'd pop it in and test it right then and there. Anything you bought used, you knew would be in very good condition. (especially since most of the people trading in were people like me, who keep their stuff minty-mint)

I used to go to Play and Trade b/c they were like that. Let you test anything out before buying it. But sadly, they closed about 2 years ago...

With exceptions, I usually wait on some games until they become clearance items. A lot of times I find much better deals on clearance games then I do for them used. Even when I was heavily into game and console collecting, used stuff was always a turn off just because there's just so many people out there that poorly care for their stuff and you never know who was handling the game and its case.

Back to 360 stuff, I picked up COD World at War last night. This will probably be my last game purchase for 2008 since I have such a back log of unplayed games as it is. From the first reviews online yesterday, it looks like this Treyarch COD game is getting good reviews.

Last night me, Oyan (Ashmedai), and some others got up to wave 36 in Horde mode in GOW2. Now time to beat the last 14!

With exceptions, I usually wait on some games until they become clearance items. A lot of times I find much better deals on clearance games then I do for them used.

Without a doubt. I occasionally find some good clearance at Best Buy or Toys 'R Us, but the best place for clearance is Target. The only problem with Target is knowing just when to bite. I picked up Devil May Cry 4 for PC for $20, and a few days later (just long enough that I'd tossed the receipt) they dropped it to $10. Meanwhile, I passed on the new NiGHTS game for Wii, telling myself I'd wait until it dropped to $20, only to have it vanish from the store before then.

NEVER buy used games from gamestop. I've read their policy on buying used games... basically, as long as there isn't a crack or a deep gouge in the disc they'll buy it back. Even if there's a scratch, their policy is to buy it and then resurface it.

Well I used to buy alot of used games back when I was playing PS2 and I never had a problem with any of them not working... Gamestop also tests the game to see if it boots up and is playable if it looks damaged. Not to mention that you can pay 5 extra dollars for a game-play guarantee. Meaning that if you find the game damaged or unplayable your entitled for a full refund or exchange of a product with equal or lesser value.

Well I used to buy alot of used games back when I was playing PS2 and I never had a problem with any of them not working... Gamestop also tests the game to see if it boots up and is playable if it looks damaged. Not to mention that you can pay 5 extra dollars for a game-play guarantee. Meaning that if you find the game damaged or unplayable your entitled for a full refund or exchange of a product with equal or lesser value.

LOL... so most A list used games sell for 54 bucks.. plus your 5 dollar guarantee.... what a racket.

"Playable" is a whole lot different from "in good condition". I swear I've seen used games with blood and snot and who knows what else on them. Sure, they'll play, but do you even want to touch the disc to put it in?

Same with cars--a winter beater will run, as will a brand new Vette. But which is nicer to sit in and drive? And assume the price difference between a winter beater and a new Vette is about 5%...

"Playable" is a whole lot different from "in good condition". I swear I've seen used games with blood and snot and who knows what else on them. Sure, they'll play, but do you even want to touch the disc to put it in?

Same with cars--a winter beater will run, as will a brand new Vette. But which is nicer to sit in and drive? And assume the price difference between a winter beater and a new Vette is about 5%...

It's one of the reasons I don't rent from gamefly anymore... the biggest reason being they never have new games in stock and the other reason is I've twice received discs covered in some sort of dried slime or goo. Just the foulest thing.

Slightly OT, but when I bought my last (and current) VCR, I vowed to only ever put brand-new, clean tapes in that I had personally taken out of the shrink-wrap. (based on the one time I ever rented a tape for the VCR before--took DAYS of cleaning before it played right after ONE gunky tape from a store) And you know what? A decade later, and it's NEVER needed to be cleaned, despite years of daily use (I'm the type that tapes stuff in the morning to watch at night). And it plays tapes better than anyone else's VCR--people often thought I was playing a DVD.

My stuff is clean, somehow everyone else gunks up their stuff. I've taped and re-taped hundreds of hours of stuff, on tapes years old--and everything's still flawless. Because if you take a clean VCR, and only ever put in clean tapes---neither one will ever get dirty.

Same theory applies to video games IMHO. Even if those discs don't have visible (or tactile) goo on them, they are not clean, and eventually all the microscopic bits of gunk that flaked off, will build up and screw with your system--especially the optical drive.

And my NES carts never needed to be blown on or take 20 attempts to boot right, but all my friends' did...

Well, since I never played GoW 1, I bought it last night and I'll be playing through it before getting GoW 2 so I know the story and such. I still like playing CoD4 (and I'm pretty good at it too), but I'm still on the fence about CoD: World at War. Any tips for playing GoW 1 (like game breaking glitches to make sure to avoid)?

Man I knew COD5 was gonna kick ass after reading the reviews on IGN. I'm waiting for my copy to come in in the next couple of days. Today though, I got a little pissed when I saw the exchange have 10 copies of Gears lying on the shelves. Grrr! :angry:

So, who plays COD4 online excessively? Let's play! ;)

Man I knew COD5 was gonna kick ass after reading the reviews on IGN. I'm waiting for my copy to come in in the next couple of days. Today though, I got a little pissed when I saw the exchange have 10 copies of Gears lying on the shelves. Grrr! :angry:

So, who plays COD4 online excessively? Let's play! ;)

I think I do...

GT: protostar888

Edited by protostar8

Hey I have DVD's of ALF.... :lol: No seriously.

Yeah, and so do I. (And yes, I'm also serious, although I've only watched a few episodes so far).

But they're DVDs. That makes all the difference. Retro shows are awesome on DVD. Retro shows on VHS... that's just sad.

EDIT: Unless it's Gobots. I'll take whatever I can get there...

Edited by mikeszekely

That game was so epic, I really hope we see a 3. They set up some nice plot threads that could develop into some good stuff. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

well, given the sales figures and the bit after the credits role, I think a part 3 is guaranteed.

I think it's kinda hinted that they might do 4 total. I don't know but when they introduced the second Carmine, he said he had 3 other brothers which makes four total carmines, and that the first one died with delta squad. And if they introduced this second one here in part two, I'm sure they'll introduce the next third one in part three and the fourth in part four. So I say the third one dies and the fourth and final one lives. That would be pretty cool. ^_^