The Xbox 360 Thread Pro Edition

Dang it. Went there today. They had one title left at that price, and it was something awful. :(

Sorry to hear. I'd say come visit my local TRU, but I guess Allentown is closer to Philadelphia than Greensburg (that is to say, a little east of Pittsburgh).

Then again, Greensburg's probably a good middle ground if you, Chowser (Cleveland), and I were all to hang out. And I think you two are the closest MWorlders to me.

Beat the last achievement for COD4 yesterday afternoon. This makes the second game this year for me to get all 1,000 achievement points (does King Kong count? :p ).

Been finally playing the online game a lot more religiously now and I can see why so many people are loving it and why it's been outdoing Halo 3 for much of this past year. BTW, I noticed that the "China Town" style stage bears a very strong resemblance (layout wise) to one of the French multiplayer stages in COD2.

Edited by Apollo Leader

Kind of a request: If anyone happens to get a Soul Calibur 4 faceplate they don't want/need, I'm interested in buying it. Any of the ones that aren't Yoda. (there's at least 3 that I know of--2 that are cool, and one with Yoda). None of the stores that offer them exist in Iowa. :p

• 3 weeks later...

SOul Cal 4 character creation is so much fun. Making my own custom characters is a ball! Linda (My wife) had me create a version of ehr, and one of me. And she is a button masher queen who kicks my ass quite handily. She keeps wanting to play for housework, but I suspect that would go badly for me.

I have nothing really to add to this thread in this post. But someone tried adding me as a friend a while back and I declined...I don't recall the user name...but I didn't (and still don't) know who it was and if it was someone on this board (I didn't think to check this thread), I apologize. Just wanted to get that out of my system...call me crazy for being concerned over nothing.

• 4 weeks later...

We got quite a few 360 owners here, but the 360 thread's been dead for a few weeks. Of course the big news a week or so ago was the price drops for all 360 models. One major store here in Omaha, Nebraska Furniture Mart, has the 20 GB Pro version for $250 or $260.

Game wise it's been mainly Geometry Wars 2, EDF 2017, and COD 4 for me. I see I've trounced most everyone I know here from Macross World on Geometry Wars 2... Valkyrie 2036, your score in Pacifism is crazy (89 million) though I did get to 25 million recently and should continue to improve. :) I have all the achievements now except for "Smile".

We got quite a few 360 owners here, but the 360 thread's been dead for a few weeks. Of course the big news a week or so ago was the price drops for all 360 models. One major store here in Omaha, Nebraska Furniture Mart, has the 20 GB Pro version for $250 or $260.

Game wise it's been mainly Geometry Wars 2, EDF 2017, and COD 4 for me. I see I've trounced most everyone I know here from Macross World on Geometry Wars 2... Valkyrie 2036, your score in Pacifism is crazy (89 million) though I did get to 25 million recently and should continue to improve. :) I have all the achievements now except for "Smile".

It's been all about Castle Crashers for me.

For all those complaining about the piss poor d-pad on the 360 controller there's good and bad news.

The Good: Microsoft will be releasing a green version of it's controller with an "optimised" d-pad to address all the complaints.

The Bad: The controller is a limited edition release and will NOT be sold in North America.

The Ugly: The controller! Ugh! It's a shade of green that only the Hulk could love.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=218894

EDF YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God, I love that game.

For all those complaining about the piss poor d-pad on the 360 controller there's good and bad news.

The Good: Microsoft will be releasing a green version of it's controller with an "optimised" d-pad to address all the complaints.

The Bad: The controller is a limited edition release and will NOT be sold in North America.

The Ugly: The controller! Ugh! It's a shade of green that only the Hulk could love.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=218894

There's such a mishmash of rumor and conflict in that story that it's hard to tell what's actually going on.

What I THINK is going on is this:

1. MS has made a better physical d-pad.

2. They've added more contacts/new mechanism, resulting in a 32-way pad, with the compass point contacts being back-compatible for traditional 8-way action.

3. These 2 changes will be added to ALL the new pads, with the premier being on the limited-edition PES pad.

Especially since the games they're talking about supporting the new d-pad(PES and SF4) don't really benefit from it OR see a lot of market overlap. One's better played with a thumbstick, the other with an 8-way joystick.

If I can score one here in Japan I suppose I might pick it up, awful colors or not.

My 360 red ringed a while ago and I have yet to do anything about it. Isn't really feasible to send it back to the states to get repaired, so I think I might just buy one of the cheap Arcades here (a little less than $200) and swap in my hard drive. Since most American games are region free, I'll be able to play games like CoD4 and Halo 3 still, but be able to pick up Japanese/Asian releases as well.

Got Rockband 2 if anyone wants to jam!

I will look for you when I'm on. :) Still blasting my way through EDF 2017. BTW, your system that RROD, was that your first or second 360? I'm happy to say my replacement 360 has lasted me over two years of some heavy duty gaming... I hope I didn't jinx my system by writing this! :p

I will look for you when I'm on. :) Still blasting my way through EDF 2017. BTW, your system that RROD, was that your first or second 360? I'm happy to say my replacement 360 has lasted me over two years of some heavy duty gaming... I hope I didn't jinx my system by writing this! :p

I'd knock on wood if I were you. :p I've had my first generation 360 since November of 2006. It hasn't RROD on me...nor have I had any problems with it. ...Now I better knock on wood. >_< Has the update to the dashboard gone live yet?

The update has not come out yet. It looks like it will come in November.

That blows! What did they do all day yesterday then?

----

1:11pm EST

ok, anyone else having trouble with matchmaking in COD4? None of my friends online now are having problems with matchmaking. I can do private matches ok, but I cannot join any matchmaking things.

xbox live says this:

Up and running.

You may experience intermittent issues with matchmaking in Call of Duty 4. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

----

does this affect only certain people????

i was able to play fine this morning.

this sucks, i don't have to be in to work till 6pm and there are no kids in the house, guess i'm going back to the PS3 to play SW:TFU.

Edited by Chowser

The update yesterday was in part for preparation for the new dashboard design which is suppose to come out in November. Was only playing EDF 2017 last night so I didn't need no stinking XBL. :) Got Hard difficulty beat last night with about 2,400 armor. Have beaten about a dozen Hardest stages during the last week and have a few Inferno stages under my belt at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah yes the fanboy wars will continue with Tekken 6 now on the 360. Can't say I'm surprised. Third party exclusives are a thing of the past. Namco/Bandai has been releasing some of their current games on the 360 and PS3.

You'd think Tekken 6 wasn't coming to the PS3 at all with the way the fanboys are squawking lol

Edited by dejr8bud

So the 360 fanboys will gloat, and the Sony fanboys will petition the game to be a PS3 exclusive like they did with Devil May Cry 4 and Final Fantasy XIII. Those who only own a single next-gen console for other reasons (like cost) are simply happy to have another game.

And those of us who own both, with no strong preference either way? We get options now... assuming we consider Tekken to be worth $60 (I don't).

I've never understood the fanrage over a game changing from an exclusive to a multi-platform title. Sure, if it wasn't coming out on the original console at all I could understand... but if it's coming out for multiple systems, who cares?

That said... it's Tekken 6 and just like Final Fantasy XIII I'm left wondering why anyone would care about either series at this point.

I've never understood the fanrage over a game changing from an exclusive to a multi-platform title. Sure, if it wasn't coming out on the original console at all I could understand... but if it's coming out for multiple systems, who cares?

That said... it's Tekken 6 and just like Final Fantasy XIII I'm left wondering why anyone would care about either series at this point.

Ah yes, I guess now that Namco Bandai are

If, for example, a game like Tekken 6 had abandoned the PS3 all together, I could understand the outrage. The thing is people got a little too much of themseleves into these little contraptions called video game consoles.

As for the other announcements such as Halo 3 Recon, definitely will be looking forward to those game next year. Looks like some other great arcade classics are hitting XBLA, too.

Oh God...just last night I had quite the shock, I got a new little TV with an HDMI port so I go ahead and pay 4000yen or something like that and then when it comes time to hook it up, I discover that I was one month away from buying the "proper" 360. If you'd only seen how mad I got! That's one thing I knocked the 360 on, oh wellz, next time I go to the States I'm gonna go ahead and trade the damn thing in for an HDMI enable one. Hopefully they take it with the alternate faceplate because I threw the one it came with away. :unsure:

Apparently Microsoft announced an expansion for Halo 3 campaign today called Recon.

And again, they tout the co-op option, but make absolutely no mention of being able to search for co-op games, which is a glaring absence that still infuriates me. I don't like playing deathmatch all that much, and Halo 3 has a GOOD co-op mode, but damn if you can ever find people to play it with you.