Advice for scribing on a tapered cylinder?

ce25254

So I've just begun re-scribing panel lines on my Starfury experiment. This is a kit I don't care too much about, so I'm using it to try out new techniques, knowing I'll make some mistakes along the way. So far it is actually turning out pretty decent, I think.

Anyway I decided to sand off all, or most, of the raised panel lines, and re-scribe them. I am using the dymo tape technique as a guide for straight lines, which works great on flat surfaces. But now I need to scribe lines around the circumference of the engine pods, which are cylindrical but with a taper. Due to the taper the dymo tape won't lay in the correct position, unless I cut it to a curve. I guess I could do this, but I know it won't be perfect.

Does anyone have good ideas for scribing around a tapered curve?

Here is an example of the shape of the part (I've already glued both halves together, though):

post-6299-1208438015_thumb.jpg

Thanks

cE

So I've just begun re-scribing panel lines on my Starfury experiment. This is a kit I don't care too much about, so I'm using it to try out new techniques, knowing I'll make some mistakes along the way. So far it is actually turning out pretty decent, I think.

Anyway I decided to sand off all, or most, of the raised panel lines, and re-scribe them. I am using the dymo tape technique as a guide for straight lines, which works great on flat surfaces. But now I need to scribe lines around the circumference of the engine pods, which are cylindrical but with a taper. Due to the taper the dymo tape won't lay in the correct position, unless I cut it to a curve. I guess I could do this, but I know it won't be perfect.

Does anyone have good ideas for scribing around a tapered curve?

Here is an example of the shape of the part (I've already glued both halves together, though):

post-6299-1208438015_thumb.jpg

Thanks

cE

There are curved scribing templates available out there. Squadron.com has some I believe. If there is a cheaper alternative, I would be interested to hear abot it as well. I have my own Starfury to tackle as well as an EA-6B.

-Adam

As well as using a thinner piece of tape - if you make a few nicks in one side you'll be able to shape it to the curve a lot easier.

In other words, cut across the tape (about half the width) every half inch or so. This way is a nice balance between the ease of a thin piece and the adhesion of a thick piece. The more nicks, the easier it is to curve.

Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...