Miss Macross Frontier Contest

wolfx

Who's the lucky girl?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win Alto's heart by the end of Macross Frontier?

• Sheryl Nome
    • Ranka Lee
    • Klan Klein
    • None of the above, but someone else not revealed yet. (or Mickhail? LOL!)

Well - it is quite obvious that Ranka's hair serves as sort of dog ears - she is aware of when the Vajra are being called back - she can hear the same signals they can hear- and then in the opening there's the "Spirit of Ranka" floating white light bit...

So clearly she is destined to be important.

But as soon as she becomes Destiny's Child - I'll be crying because I love her as the simple Nyan-Nyan-Nyan-Nyan girl :(

VFTF1

Though I like Ranka, I think it would be a fairly obvious choice for Alto to end up with her....No tension in the plot, nor romantic twist etc.

Look at SDFM, Hikaru hated Misa at first and vice versa - which seems to be the case btw Alto and Sheryl now.

<and there is the fact that Sheryl is waaay hotter - i like my chicks more mature!>

My bet is that the character development is gonna hit Sheryl at some point, and she will end up with Alto. Ranka is cute, but like others above me have said, she seems to have a loftier destiny in this series.

It's also far more sensible for the writers to give Sheryl a reality check and personality makeover, than it is to artificially mature Ranka up to an age where she can be portrayed in a romantic way. This series has a lot of homages to earlier series, but I can't see them taking it so far as to flat-out repeat the "green recruit pilot meets ordinary girl from the block who becomes the next idol" formula. Then again, maybe they'll pull a Mylene with this one and Alto won't actually decide on anyone by the end.

Mikhail and Klein is a good pairing, since it's a) non-essential to the overall story arc, and b) a great homage.

Cathy's also off the table for Alto, she'll belong to Ozma again by the end of this series :)

artificially mature Ranka up to an age where she can be portrayed in a romantic way

Nani!?!? :)

I don't think Ranka needs to be "artificially matured" to "an age where she can be portrayed in a romantic way"

I can't see a girl getting more romantic than Ranka! She acts veeeerrrryyyy mature for her age! I usually like older, more mature women and I always get annoyed by silly whiny girls... but Ranka, despite being young, is not silly, and not winy. She is very very polite, courteous - a real lady. She is charming and delightful. The only sign of excess youth that I can see is that she is somewhat naive (her idolization of Sheryl) and very much full of spunky energy (but this is a big plus- the fire of youth!) - so I don't really see Ranka as someone who - like Minmey - needed to artificially mature... and of course, Minmey never really matured; she was just going through the "I don't want to sing so I'll be a house wife - until I change my mind again!" phase...

I do, however, agree with the point that it would be too bad for Macross F to just rehash the Hikaru/Minmey dynamic.

They could save us that by keeping Ranka as a hot waitress in Nyan Nyan - but naturally I get the feeling that's not gonna happen :(

VFTF1

No, no...the hot waitress at Nyan Nyan is named Nanase. Ranka's the green-haired girl. :lol:

Wrong again, all the waitress in Nyan-nyan is hot, especially when they walk by the frying pan..... B))

Edited by Morpheus

if it's true to macross form (as it so far is), it'll be Sheryl Nome. it will begin with Ranka, of course. all the while Alto and Sheryl will keep bickering. but in the end, ranka will save humanity from the vajra; and sheryl nome and alto will be the ones left together.

as for me, so far sheryl nome is still a brat (albeit with her soft side when she's with ranka), so it's interesting to see how she'll develop further in the series.

if it's true to macross form (as it so far is), it'll be Sheryl Nome.

I've seen a lot of people saying variations of this statement, and I'm not sure what this Macross "form" is...

SDF M: Hikaru (hero) ends up with Misa (the mature one), not Minmay (pro singer; the girlish one)

Macross II: Hibiki (hero) ends up with Sylvie (the mature one), not Ishtar (singer; the girlish one). Wendy Ryder (pro singer) is not involved.

Macross Plus: Myung (the mature one) ends up with Isamu (hero; the boyish one), not Guld (the mature one). Sharon Apple (pro singer) gets blown up.

Macross 7: Mylene (pro singer; the girlish one) ends up with neither Gamlin (the mature one) nor Basara (pro singer; the boyish one).

Macross Zero: Shin (the hero) MAYBE ends up with Sara (singer; the mature one), not Mao (singer; the girlish one). Then again, maybe not. No pro singers appear anywhere, unless Nora has hidden talents.

Is there a pattern here...? If so, I don't see it.

if it's true to macross form (as it so far is), it'll be Sheryl Nome. it will begin with Ranka, of course. all the while Alto and Sheryl will keep bickering. but in the end, ranka will save humanity from the vajra; and sheryl nome and alto will be the ones left together.

as for me, so far sheryl nome is still a brat (albeit with her soft side when she's with ranka), so it's interesting to see how she'll develop further in the series.

I think so too. ^_^

I've seen a lot of people saying variations of this statement, and I'm not sure what this Macross "form" is...

SDF M: Hikaru (hero) ends up with Misa (the mature one), not Minmay (pro singer; the girlish one)

Macross II: Hibiki (hero) ends up with Sylvie (the mature one), not Ishtar (singer; the girlish one). Wendy Ryder (pro singer) is not involved.

Macross Plus: Myung (the mature one) ends up with Isamu (hero; the boyish one), not Guld (the mature one). Sharon Apple (pro singer) gets blown up.

Macross 7: Mylene (pro singer; the girlish one) ends up with neither Gamlin (the mature one) nor Basara (pro singer; the boyish one).

Macross Zero: Shin (the hero) MAYBE ends up with Sara (singer; the mature one), not Mao (singer; the girlish one). Then again, maybe not. No pro singers appear anywhere, unless Nora has hidden talents.

Is there a pattern here...? If so, I don't see it.

Dude....u answered your own question on the pattern.

And I would like to think that Mylene ultimately ended up with Gamlin because Basara is all about BOMBA and travelling the galaxy and seems to have no libido or intention to spread his genes. And also considering she is still engaged to Gamlin and has not officially said that she will break off the engagement. And she seemed to have opened up alot to Gamlin by the end of M7 as well.

Dude....u answered your own question on the pattern.

And I would like to think that Mylene ultimately ended up with Gamlin because Basara is all about BOMBA and travelling the galaxy and seems to have no libido or intention to spread his genes. And also considering she is still engaged to Gamlin and has not officially said that she will break off the engagement. And she seemed to have opened up alot to Gamlin by the end of M7 as well.

I answeed my own question...? 'Cause the "mature one" ratio seems to be

SDFM: Yes.

II: Yes.

Plus: No.

7: No answer.

Zero: No answer.

Two out of five is hardly a "pattern."

I answeed my own question...? 'Cause the "mature one" ratio seems to be

SDFM: Yes.

II: Yes.

Plus: No.

7: No answer.

Zero: No answer.

Two out of five is hardly a "pattern."

Unless you look at it as who the guy ends up with... because Myung is a lot more mature then Sharon who naively thinks that by pushing him to the ultimate limit so he can experience the thrill of dying is love.

I wouldn't say Gamlin is more mature then Basara by the way... more reserved but that's not the same thing. Gamlin for his part didn't have much emotional maturity at all, hence all the nervous laughter. And just because Basara was a free spirit doesn't mean he wasn't mature.

So if you look at it from the guy's perspective in Macross Plus, and discount 7 because it had no answer... then every Macross the hero ends up with the mature one.

Unless you look at it as who the guy ends up with... because Myung is a lot more mature then Sharon who naively thinks that by pushing him to the ultimate limit so he can experience the thrill of dying is love.

I wouldn't say Gamlin is more mature then Basara by the way... more reserved but that's not the same thing. Gamlin for his part didn't have much emotional maturity at all, hence all the nervous laughter. And just because Basara was a free spirit doesn't mean he wasn't mature.

So if you look at it from the guy's perspective in Macross Plus, and discount 7 because it had no answer... then every Macross the hero ends up with the mature one.

So let's see...we have five stories (seven if you include Macross 7 Trash and Macross Generation) to set up the pattern...one has to be discounted, one only works if we look at a nonexistant love triangle (did Isamu EVER love Sharon?), which cuts it down to three. Zero doesn't really work, either...mao was too young, and Shin didn't end up with Sara (that we know of). So we're talking about a pattern set by two Macross stories, one of which was pretty much a carbon copy of the other. (And, IIRC, in Macross Generation, it's the young, naive girl who gets the guy, so we can discount THAT, too. But I don't remember what happened at the end of Trash.)

Seriously, though, I get your point...and I can see discounting 7 (not because the love triangle was unresolved, but because it was pretty nonexistant...I think Basara hasn't QUITE discovered girls yet...but Sivil's a step in the right direction). But, really...please don't tell me that the Plus love triangle was Isamu/Myung/Sharon (now, Isamu/Myung/Lucy, I can see...but it was pretty clear that Isamu and Lucy was just a fling - to Isamu, at least). But Plus throws a wrench in the works in many ways...there's no war, the love triangle is resolved because one of the participants gets killed, the idol singer goes crazy and gets blown up...if there's a typical Macross pattern (and I really don't think there is), Plus doesn't follow it.

And at any rate, I'm not sure that Sheryl is more mature than Ranka. A little bit older, yes. More sophisticated, certainly. But more mature...? Ranka seems to have a better grasp of things than Sheryl does.

But I think we're in for some personality shifts in MF, so we'll see if it remains that way.

woah there. ok, certainly i didn't expect a debate on my post. but allow me to clarify. i'm just sorry i wasn't able to do so fast enough.

when i said "true to macross form", i meant that it was true to SDF macross form. i've always said -- and some of you may feel -- that macross frontier is the closest thing to the source material we have seen. and as source material, i meant only SDF macross, the tv series. it's because so far, the references have been spot on. so i was only referring to the way the love triangle developed in SDF macross. i was not trying to establish a pattern among all the series. my bad, i should have made the post more specific.

nevetheless, the discussion between gubaba, wolfx and lord breetai is very refreshing and interesting. i'd love to join along for one side or the other, but i'm afraid i'm not that much of an expert on macross 7 to really give a solid contribution, so there would be a missing link in any hypotheis i could come up with. bottomline (again), if it stays true to SDF macross form, the hero will end up with the herione he doesn't get along with at the start. hence, sheryl nome. :)

Though I like Ranka, I think it would be a fairly obvious choice for Alto to end up with her....No tension in the plot, nor romantic twist etc.

Look at SDFM, Hikaru hated Misa at first and vice versa - which seems to be the case btw Alto and Sheryl now.

<and there is the fact that Sheryl is waaay hotter - i like my chicks more mature!>

Same here. It would be way too simple for Alto to wind up with Ranka. Personally, this time around, I'm hoping that the hot professional singer (Sheryl) would get a love life and end up with the male protagonist. Just because they're popular doesn't mean they need luuuvvv ^_^

I like the idea of Omza's passing bringing Alto and Cathy closer, but that's too similar to SDFM.

Alto & Sheryl Nome

And poor adorable Ranka Lee will transcend to a "higher" purpose...but alone, like Minmay and Mao.

Just my hunch

Here's my attempt at the "Macross Love Pattern:" (Note: Boy - means young, Man-means mature, girl - means young, Woman means- Mature)

SDF M TV: The basic love triangle. Young boy pilot falls in love with young girl singer but feelings grow for older woman officer.

Boy/Girl/Woman-----------> Boy + Woman-------------Abstract: Young + Mature

Hikaru/Minmey/Misa

M7: The basic love triangle with a twist: Now the young heroine falls in love with young boy singer but feelings grow for older Man pilot.

Girl/Boy/Man--------------. Girl + Man------------------Abstract: Young + Mature

Melene/Basara/Gamlen

M-Plus: The love triangle introduces the basic form we see in M7 (woman and two men) - However, the Man dies even though he is the one "chosen" in the love triangle. Analogously - if Misa Hayese were killed eg while Kamjin made his daring last attack, it is very likely that Hikaru and Minmey would have ended up together.

Girl/Boy/Man---------------Girl + Man --------------------Abstract: Young + Mature

Miung/Isamu/Guld

Macross Zero: The love triangle reverts now to SDF:M form, however adapts from M7/Plus the concept of the "winning" love dying/vanshing

Boy/Girl/Woman-------------Boy +Woman -----------Abstract: Young + Mature

Shin/Mao/Sara

Macross Frontier: If it is to stick to "form" andthe above pattern - it will look like this:

Boy/Girl/Woman----------- Boy + Woman-------------Abstract: Young + Mature

Alto/Rank/Sheryl

How is this possible? Simple. Sheryl - in time - comes to love Alto (since I'm imaging Alto won't really love anybody any time soon) - while Ranka seems to fall for him from the beginning; and will progressively desire him more and more. Alto will, like Hikaru, feel the pressure of this - and due to his experiences with Ranka will be better acquainted with her but that will likely change.

The interesting question is - what will make Alto notice Sheryl? What situations will they be thrown in together?

Ranka - like Minmey - will go from being the regular cute lovely girl from Nyan Nyan to a singer/Holy Sacred Important Shining Beacon of a Major Plot Point

My guess is that Sheryl will somehow stop being as snotty and something will happen that will link her and Alto.

This is all IF Macross: Frontier is to conform to the above pattern of Macross Form.

I hope Macross Frontier DOESN'T follow the pattern of Young+Old -

VFTF1

Here's my attempt at the "Macross Love Pattern:" (Note: Boy - means young, Man-means mature, girl - means young, Woman means- Mature)

SDF M TV: The basic love triangle. Young boy pilot falls in love with young girl singer but feelings grow for older woman officer.

Boy/Girl/Woman-----------> Boy + Woman-------------Abstract: Young + Mature

Hikaru/Minmey/Misa

M7: The basic love triangle with a twist: Now the young heroine falls in love with young boy singer but feelings grow for older Man pilot.

Girl/Boy/Man--------------. Girl + Man------------------Abstract: Young + Mature

Melene/Basara/Gamlen

M-Plus: The love triangle introduces the basic form we see in M7 (woman and two men) - However, the Man dies even though he is the one "chosen" in the love triangle. Analogously - if Misa Hayese were killed eg while Kamjin made his daring last attack, it is very likely that Hikaru and Minmey would have ended up together.

Girl/Boy/Man---------------Girl + Man --------------------Abstract: Young + Mature

Miung/Isamu/Guld

Macross Zero: The love triangle reverts now to SDF:M form, however adapts from M7/Plus the concept of the "winning" love dying/vanshing

Boy/Girl/Woman-------------Boy +Woman -----------Abstract: Young + Mature

Shin/Mao/Sara

Macross Frontier: If it is to stick to "form" and the above pattern - it will look like this:

Boy/Girl/Woman----------- Boy + Woman-------------Abstract: Young + Mature

Alto/Rank/Sheryl

How is this possible? Simple. Sheryl - in time - comes to love Alto (since I'm imaging Alto won't really love anybody any time soon) - while Ranka seems to fall for him from the beginning; and will progressively desire him more and more. Alto will, like Hikaru, feel the pressure of this - and due to his experiences with Ranka will be better acquainted with her but that will likely change.

The interesting question is - what will make Alto notice Sheryl? What situations will they be thrown in together?

Ranka - like Minmey - will go from being the regular cute lovely girl from Nyan Nyan to a singer/Holy Sacred Important Shining Beacon of a Major Plot Point

My guess is that Sheryl will somehow stop being as snotty and something will happen that will link her and Alto.

This is all IF Macross: Frontier is to conform to the above pattern of Macross Form.

I hope Macross Frontier DOESN'T follow the pattern of Young+Old -

VFTF1

Seems pretty well thought out that I would outright agree with you. However, I'd like to also add the Macross 7 Trash pattern:

Boy/Girl/Woman-------------Boy + Girl -----------Abstract: Young + Young

Siva/Enika/Uehara

It would seem that at least in manga, the whole pattern is broken. Of course, thats probably something else since its a different medium we're talking about.

Seems pretty well thought out that I would outright agree with you. However, I'd like to also add the Macross 7 Trash pattern:

Boy/Girl/Woman-------------Boy + Girl -----------Abstract: Young + Young

Siva/Enika/Uehara

It would seem that at least in manga, the whole pattern is broken. Of course, thats probably something else since its a different medium we're talking about.

Macross Generation, too. The young, naive girl gets the guy. But the other girl's a backsabbing termagant, so that may not count.

So lets say Ranka becomes Miss Macross... It could progress that she becomes more popular than Sheryl this could give her a much needed reality check and force her to be more grounded.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Steve

So lets say Ranka becomes Miss Macross... It could progress that she becomes more popular than Sheryl this could give her a much needed reality check and force her to be more grounded.

I'm not exactly sure how to post this but here it is:

Ranka loses in the Miss Macross contest (at least in the manga). How she'll become popular is yet to be seen.

Miung/Isamu/Guld

M+ is a bit different in a few ways, first, the triangle consists of 3 adults, second, they all know each other from their youth. What I find interesting is Myung choose Guld 7 years earlier but secretly wanted to be with Isamu more. And in the end Myung and Isamu are together and Guld ends up as space debris orbiting Eden! Sucks to be him, I'd rather end up like Minmay or Mao....alone but alive.

Well - yes - I should clarify that by "Young" and "Mature" I mean emotionally Youthful or emotionally Mature - not just age-wise.

In this sense, and since Myung explicitly chose Guld, she ended up with the mature one; and she herself was the young one in terms of her emotions (basically, she created a fiction of maturity for herself - she decided that being "grown up" meant not pursuing her dreams- but I think that seeing that Guld was grown up, serious and mature - and yet doing exactly what he dreamed - made her realize that she was being childish)...

But I agree with Gubaba that the only way these general "patterns" work is if we insert numerous interpretive devices...like I just did with M Plus :)

In any event - I really like Ranka.

VFTF1