VF-0S From the boneyard

HWR MKII

I have had this kit in my stash for a good while now. Its the leftover airframe from a VF-0 battroid with booster i did. The battroid however did not survive its return to the states. Id like to revisit that project since it was turning out well.

Anyway on to the kit at hand. Basically i was left with a intact VF-0 A/S it to build. When i opened it i discovered that i had lost the instructions somewhere. But thanks to the Macross world models section on the main page i was able to copy and print them and start on this. The base sub assemblies are together and ready for paint. the cckpit is done but not visible at the moment since i am using the canopy as a mask. Its covered in a masking agent that has sealed it to the fuselage. The foot thrusters have been given the ribs inside them and a coat of white to simulate the enamel coating that is on real aircraft with turbine motors. The VF-0 didnt have fusion motors in it yet. The white will be dirtied up appropriately based on what i have seen on operational fighter aircraft motors.

Enjoy.

post-2293-1208305843_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1208305851_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1208305861_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1208305870_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1208305878_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1208305885_thumb.jpg

and a coat of white to simulate the enamel coating that is on real aircraft with turbine motors

During my seven years in the Navy I saw plenty of jets with white intakes, but all of the exhausts were a bare metal. Any chance you were thinking backwards n the foot thrusters.

-Adam

nope. F-15s and 16s all have pure white exhaust insides when the motors are new or recently refurbished. Same with the tomcat which has the same GE motor as the 16s these days. Even pratt equipped 16s have a coating of white enamel on the inside of the exhaust tube. It quickly goes grey, black and brown within a few flights. I was a aircraft maintainer for 10 years so i was able to get up close to these. The enamel coating was to keep the turkey feathers from overheating. Many a cold winters day i kept my hands warm by putting them against the turkey feathers of a running 16. The outsides are bare metal though so you are correct there.

Edited by HWR MKII

Heres tonights progress. Tomorrow night ill try to future it and start applying decals. I tried to make the preshading subtle. It actually shows a bit more in person than on these pictures. Sorry for the poor pics im not having a good light night.

post-2293-1208320907_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1208320915_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1208320924_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1208320937_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1208320952_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1208320967_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1208320978_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1208320995_thumb.jpg

That's going to be one awesome looking jet when you're done with it. Even if the panel shading doesn't show through as intensely as in person, they are still visible. My battroid has wide areas to panel line so I was not able to get in-depth like you have. How are you able to panel shade so tightly without suffering from paint build-up??

That's going to be one awesome looking jet when you're done with it. Even if the panel shading doesn't show through as intensely as in person, they are still visible. My battroid has wide areas to panel line so I was not able to get in-depth like you have. How are you able to panel shade so tightly without suffering from paint build-up??

I second that! I am just going to stick to washes, because I can't imagine not screwing up the paint. Might try it anyway, though.

\How are you able to panel shade so tightly without suffering from paint build-up??

You keep your top coat thin and transparent and build up in thin layers. Start by filling in the panel with your airbrush on a fine setting to bulk the color on the panel but still leave black showing through then mist over the entire thing to blend it together. This allows the shading underneath to show through but still allows coverage. I used Testors Light Grey as my main color since the VF-0S isnt exactly white.

Edited by HWR MKII

Well the decals are coming along. I tried using the fin decals on the legs. Got nothing but wrinkles even after they dried and they would not go away. So i sanded them down with 1500 grit and painted over in matching colors. The rest of the decals are going on well. I decided not to use the yellow decals for the tail tips. too many compound curves. So i based them in yellow then cut out the "slime light" that goes on the tip. This will look much better in the long run. Still alot more decals to go .

post-2293-1208808423_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1208808432_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1208808441_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1208808450_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1208808519_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1208808527_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1208808536_thumb.jpg

post-2293-1208808544_thumb.jpg

As always, very nice result.

I have just finished the VF-0S batt. Now looking at this make me wish I have opt for building the fighter instead. The plane looks so sleek.

I like your pre-shading, subtle, not too over bearing.

Hope too see the completed product soon.